Summit: Plaza or Continental Deck

Lard Greystoke

I'm thinking, maybe, of booking an oceanview on Celebrity Summit around Dec-Jan. Cabins are available on the Plaza and Continental deck, same price. Just wondering if there is any significant difference, advantage, disadvantage, etc. Thanks for any advice.

We have had cabins on deck 3 (Plaza deck) on a few M class ships. We enjoyed being a short walk away from the main area. On one cruise, we had to move from deck 3 to deck 2 because of some problems with our cabin. We did not really notice any difference between the two decks except that you are closer to the water.

If you are getting an OV on the Summit, try to get one of the new cabins on Deck 3 that was recently created from the conference room area. They have much larger windows, and are a bit larger overall. They are in a very quiet area, and you will love the cabins. I was very surprised that they are not considered a higher category!

I have been on deck 3 before and really like the location.....never

been on 2. 3 is good, near GR, near elevators, near Normandie too:D

If you are getting an OV on the Summit, try to get one of the new cabins on Deck 3 that was recently created from the conference room area. They have much larger windows, and are a bit larger overall. They are in a very quiet area, and you will love the cabins. I was very surprised that they are not considered a higher category!

Beardie,

In a different and earlier thread you mentioned that you would be staying in 3122 in May.

What was it like?

We are booked in 3114 in January because of the huge window and would like to know more about the 3112-3144 cabins.

Noise, size, bed placement, etc.

Thanks,

Bob

Edited by BobInPa

Bob,

You will absolutely love the OV cabin you chose. The window is huge and seems like a veranda view, except that you can't walk through it!! The cabin is practically brand new. It's very spacious for an OV. We had the beds together and there was a small sofa between the bed and the window, opposite the desk. Plenty of room for storage. We actually thought we were the only ones in that section, as there was absolutely no noise from anywhere. The location is perfect. Down the hall from guest services on Deck 3, but separated well. The conference room and Normandie Restaurant are on the same side, but you will not hear anything from them. All in all, I think it's the best OV you can get! By the way, we had some high waves, and we hardly felt a thing! Enjoy!!

Bob,

You will absolutely love the OV cabin you chose. The window is huge and seems like a veranda view, except that you can't walk through it!! The cabin is practically brand new. It's very spacious for an OV. We had the beds together and there was a small sofa between the bed and the window, opposite the desk. Plenty of room for storage. We actually thought we were the only ones in that section, as there was absolutely no noise from anywhere. The location is perfect. Down the hall from guest services on Deck 3, but separated well. The conference room and Normandie Restaurant are on the same side, but you will not hear anything from them. All in all, I think it's the best OV you can get! By the way, we had some high waves, and we hardly felt a thing! Enjoy!!

Hi:)....Normandie is portside, just aft of the glass elevators. Are you

saying they put new cabins somewhere near there? I am looking at

deckplans but it shows new cabins are only starboard......

Would you clarify for me?

Bob,

Beardie,

Great!!

I and many others have been trying to get information on this group of OV6 cabins for a few months.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1628023

If you don't mind could you post some of your information on the above location specific thread. That way it may reach even more interested parties. I, for one, have been searching the Celebrity thread for these 3112-3144 cabins for months.

BTW: I was on the Summit on it's first cruise after dry-dock in January and never even saw these cabins. Even while standing at the Shore Excursion Desk.

Thanks,

Bob

Hi Cathy:).....sorry, must be having a Sr moment:eek: I was on Galaxy

to the Caribbean in March 2008...and then 2 nights on Solstice in

Sept '08 and 3 nights on Infinity in Dec '08......which sailing?

Lois,

Your deckplan is correct. Cabins 3112-3144, starboard side. From Guest Services,head for the conference room and go left before you get there, right after the rest rooms. The only people in that hall who didn't have a cabin there, were those who were lost!!

Bob,

This isn't really a double post, I am just trying to make this thread show up when searching for Summit cabins or staterooms 3112 3114 3116 3118 3120 3122 3124 3126 3128 3130 3132 3134 3136 3138 3140 3142 and 3144

Beardie,

You mentioned how quiet it was. I am in 3118 in January. Was there noise from the Rendevous Lounge on the deck above?

BobInPa,

What sailing in January? We are B2B on the 12th and the 19th.

Edited by al4282

Beardie,

You mentioned how quiet it was. I am in 3118 in January. Was there noise from the Rendevous Lounge on the deck above?

BobInPa,

What sailing in January? We are B2B on the 12th and the 19th.

al4282,

We are booked on the January 26, 2013 cruise. We were on the January 28, 2012 cruise which was the same itinerary as the January 19, 2013 cruise. Which means we were on the first Summit post dry-dock cruise and all was not well. We had a balcony then and decided that the 15 minutes a day we spent out there wasn't worth the $100 a day price so we are doing OV this time. The weather in PR and all the ports was such a welcome relief from winter that we decided to do it again, with different ports of call.

Bob

Hi,

It is good to read the positive comments about the new staterooms, 3112-3144. I am booked in one of these staterooms (3132) on the Celebrity Constellation for a cruise next year. These staterooms have not yet been added to the Constellation, but they are being added before my cruise in December 2013. This stateroom will be fairly new for my cruise. I am looking forward to the great location and the large window.

Chuck

Lois,

It was the Galaxy in March of '08. You bought the blue and white beach glass earrings from me before the cruise.

Hi Cathy:).....you have Mercury in your signature. Think that is why

I got confused:eek:....I still have those earrings too:)

Bob,

Beardie,

The 3112 - 3144 cabins sound terrific; large, quiet, huge window, great location, stable and new.

I have 2 questions:

Is there a closing door between the hallway to the cabins and the mid-ship restrooms?

Since the whole cabin area is new, do the showers have curtains or doors?

Thanks,

Bob

Hi Bob,

Glad you're excited about the cabin, you should be.

1) Re. a door next to the rest rooms and before the cabins, yes there is one, but to be honest, I never saw it closed. There was just no need to close it. There were very few people who wandered by that way. Really no reason to go there, and no noise in that area. The closest thing there is the conference room, and we never heard anything from that area. They showed movies there, and had a few meetings, but, as I said, no noise.

2) The shower has a curtain. I enjoyed it's cleanliness and obvious newness. Nothing worse than a grungy shower curtain! Typical size shower and bathroom in general. We had no problem storing things though. Plenty of space under the sink etc. Just not that much space exposed. Just 2 small shelves above the sink. Really not a problem.

I just got off Summit this morning. We were in 3112, and I must say FANTASTIC!!!

I was a little concerned about service after reading some of the reviews of previous repositioning and Bermuda sailings, but I must say both the Stateroom Attendant and his Assistant were "top shelf." The service was some of the best we've ever had on Celebrity. We didn't know what to expect since we normally go CC or AQ and booked this Oceanview at the last minute.

Looking at the deck plans, I was a little worried about booking 3112 because of the proximity to the Ladies Room. I envisioned hearing toilets flush all thru the night, but that was not the case -- there seemed to be a barrier in between the two sections of the ship. All the cabins are sectioned off from the rest of the ship/conference room areas. Very little foot traffic in the area other than those who were living there and heading toward the aft elevators to the dining area.

From what I've seen of some of the cabins when the stateroom doors were opened, all the beds were alternating from the left or the right bulkhead. There was no bump out like the S-Class cabins.

As luck would have it, 3112 appeared to be the largest of all the staterooms because of the configuration. All the other staterooms you entered facing the starboard side with the bathroom either on the left or right side and the closets on the other side as you entered. With 3112, the door was facing forward, so when you entered, the bathroom was straight ahead, then you turned into the rest of the cabin. There was even a little storage area to the left as you entered the cabin where we kept a couple of beach chairs and a beach umbrella. There were also 2 golf umbrellas which we didn't need because we had 3 sunny days.

Not a lot of shelf space in the bathroom so we had to keep the majority of toiletries under the sink. There were just two small shelves in which one of them had a large container of cottonballs/q-tips.

Shower had a curtain and was average size, the width of the bathroom, and the shower head was great and removable from its cradle. It was very nice.

Since the Elite breakfast was held in Normandie, it right across from us on the other side of the ship. Excellent location to the mid-ship elevators.

As with anything new, there were a few minor problems which they fixed immediately. One, the door jamb was very tight so we had to pull the door to close it. They fixed that right away when I called. Also, the room thermostat needed a fix as we lowered it all the way down and the room was in the mid to upper 70's. Once they fixed it, we had to readjust it to keep from freezing.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to say "thanks" to all who replied to my question. Acting on your advice, I've just booked one of the presumably fantastic newly built Plaza cabins for a cruise this winter. I'm looking forward to it.

I just hope it isn't a total fiasco. I just hope my life isn't ruined.

I guess I'll know who to blame.