Packing cubes

DJSchib

Packing cubes - yes! If you fly, and especially for land-based travel.

1. Things don't shift around in your luggage.

2. I can pack more when using packing cubes!

3. If your bag is selected for inspection at the airport, the contents don't get messed up and you don't have to rearrange and repack.

4. Cubes keep things organized if you are doing land-based travel with different hotels and destinations.

Packing cubes aren't necessary if you are just cruising and you have no flights or land-based travel.

I used them for my son's clothes (age 4). Alot fit and it was easy to pack, but I probably wouldn't do it for my clothes. I used the bundle method for mine and DH's and we fit alot in the suitcase. There's a video link for it somewhere on this board.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I had never used them until our last trip, which we just returned from. It was three weeks, which included 7 day river cruise and the rest of the time on land. We were given some packing cells by the tour company, so I thought I would try them out. I found they did help to keep the contents of the suitcases organised. I just had one in each suitcase, but was surprised at how much I was able to fit in each cell. I was particularly grateful for them at Siem Reap Airport, on the start of our journey home! Prior to checkin they manually inspected the contents of every suitcase being checked in! Yes, opened every suitcase and rummaged through all the contents, on tables set up by the check in queue! Then everything got shoved back in the case. So much for having a carefully packed suitcase! They looked our packing cells over, but decided the contents were all clothes and didn't open them.

I will probably get a couple more packing cells before we travel again in a few months time - I think 2 per suitcase would be ideal. I didn't think I would like them, as I have never had a problem with packing neatly.

Every one is different and you may not like them, but worth a try, IMO.

No, I don't use them.

I can pack more without using them and I don't recall ever having a problem with clothes shifting around in the suitcase -- if you use the right size suitcase and don't pack it either too empty or crammed full, it shouldn't be a problem.

I love the large sized packing cubes, especially. The ones that are the width of the suitcase. I can fold up about 10 of my husband's 2xlt shirts in one of those. I use the smaller ones for socks and undies, and another large one for all my chiffony, no-wrinkle tops. Stacking and positioning them in a suitcase makes a great "platform" to lay the dressy clothes on top.

Love the cubes!

Other then filling the voids with of the handle hardware I pack all other clothing in folders and cubes. I have a variety of sizes of both for organization and for maximizing my luggage space. When I get to the ship I hang up my suite but all the folders and cubes go in the drawers or closet. As I wear items I hang them up. I hand wash or send out items to cleaned so when I am done wearing items they go back in the folder and cubes. At the end of the cruise it takes little time to pack and I don't have a bunch of dirty laundry when I get home.

There is a picture of my bag in the link SandieN posted from 3 years ago.

I always suggest people starting out with packing aids is to start small and build on your success. There are no rules when using them, whatever works for you is the best. This video will help in getting started.

Shak

I use the large zip-lock bags, and have for the past number of years. Everything goes into zip-locks, including DH's tuxedo and my formal wear, and I always bring along an extra handful for souvenirs.

Smooth Sailing!

What I prefer about packing cubes is they zip all around the top, and you don't have to slide clothes into them like the large ziplock/spacesaver bags. Packing cubes are deeper, so your folded clothes aren't flattened.

Just went to the Eagle Creek site. This could be bad. 4 items in my cart one of which is the packable tote. Thinking that would be nice to slip my purse inside and iPad, magazines etc for the plane

Debbie

Just went to the Eagle Creek site. This could be bad. 4 items in my cart one of which is the packable tote. Thinking that would be nice to slip my purse inside and iPad, magazines etc for the plane

Debbie

I use two packing folders for our shirts. I just love them. You can watch the videos about them.

Trying to figure out what size folder to get. Want one good for longer trips but yet one that can work in a carry on and not be too big

Debbie

I use a medium folder. It does fit in my carry on bag.

Debbie,

I tried them for the first time last year and won't use them again. But my friend Linda swear by them (we're on Equinox with you next month) :)

What I did buy are a couple of flat "boxes" that will square up. I plan to use those in the overhead storage above the bed. That will be easy to pull in and out of the storage and I hope will keep my stuff more organized.

See you soon!

Susan

Trying to figure out what size folder to get. Want one good for longer trips but yet one that can work in a carry on and not be too big

Debbie

I use 18" for bulkier items like pants and 15" for all shirts with collars. Both will fit in a carry on but I usually use 15" in my carry on.

Shak

Aha

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Debbie

Get the size that fits your suitcase width. That way you can stack them easier.

Amazon sells an assorted sizes set, which is what I got:

http://www.amazon.com/eBags-Packing-Cubes-3pc-Titanium/dp/B00JNGLNHG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1421165131&sr=8-1&keywords=packing+cubes

I like the smaller ones, too. The smallest is great for chargers, ipad cords, etc. Keeps them organized in the drawers in the cabin, too.