Project Edge - Status

Wayneair

I was told by a staff member that all those concerned with this project had to sign a non disclosure agreement.

Beyond that I have not heard a hint from anyone.

Not surprising Arno. Cruise lines are extremely tight lipped about newbuilds. With all the competition out there, and with many new ships in various stages of development and construction - I can certainly understand why Celebrity doesn't want anything to get out. IMO, it's just too soon.

Though I'm always very excited about new Celebrity ships, I'm not focusing on it much. When the time is right ? I'm sure Celebrity will be sharing plenty of exciting announcements with us.

Quote directly from an article written September 5th:

These two Project “Edge” ships will accommodate 2,900 guests, be 984 feet long and come in at 117,000 gross registered tons. The first will sail in fall 2018, while the second is scheduled to be introduced in the early part of 2020. Celebrity Cruises mentions these new vessels will take their environmentally friendly ship designs to higher level both in terms of using sustainable materials and fuel efficiency. - See more at: http://leisuregrouptravel.com/celebrity-cruises-new-value-pricing-ships-industry-first/#.dpuf

Quote directly from an article written September 5th:

These two Project “Edge” ships will accommodate 2,900 guests, be 984 feet long and come in at 117,000 gross registered tons. The first will sail in fall 2018, while the second is scheduled to be introduced in the early part of 2020. Celebrity Cruises mentions these new vessels will take their environmentally friendly ship designs to higher level both in terms of using sustainable materials and fuel efficiency. - See more at: http://leisuregrouptravel.com/celebrity-cruises-new-value-pricing-ships-industry-first/#.dpuf

Thanks for sharing the web site.

Not sure I like the new bathroom design with the sink in the cabin area. Too much like the design in the newer NCL ships.

That design has been used for years at Disney resorts and all the Disney ships. Everyone raves about it and have for years. , if you check the Disney board with a search you will see that. It allows two people to do things at the same time. I honestly don't remember anyone making any complaints about it. I've had it in a couple of hotels over the years and I find it pretty good.

That design has been used for years at Disney resorts and all the Disney ships. Everyone raves about it and have for years. , if you check the Disney board with a search you will see that. It allows two people to do things at the same time. I honestly don't remember anyone making any complaints about it. I've had it in a couple of hotels over the years and I find it pretty good.

The Disney ships actually have a split bath - one small bath with a sink and a shower, the other with a sink and a toilet. There is no sink in the actual stateroom section on Disney ships (at least, not the standard inside/oceanview/balcony cabins).

I have run into this in several hotels/resorts (including all over Disney properties) and it's often helpful, and sometimes annoying. It all depends on the situation.

That said - these rooms look sleek! I do wonder if the twins will be able to be made into one bed, and why only half the rooms have couches. The glass walls on the balconies look neat, though.

Actually, Disney's cruise ship staterooms are not like this design at all. They have two ENCLOSED and private areas, one with a sink and tub/shower, and one with a sink and toilet, with doors to close off those areas. They DO NOT have these areas open to the rest of the stateroom as in the proposed design.

Have you even been in a Disney stateroom? We have, so we know what they are like.

stateroom-mw-deluxe-family-verandah.jpg

FantasyFloorPlan_Deluxe-Oceanview-Stateroom-with-Veranda.jpg

And the Disney resorts we have stayed in aren't anything like the proposed design. They are pretty standard design found in many hotels around the world. We have stayed in five Disney resorts, and all had a room design much like this image below. We actually don't like this arrangement because anyone using the sink at night or in the morning disturbs those trying to sleep. A thin curtain is all that separates the two areas, so there is a noise and light issue.

CaribbeanCAD.jpg

disneycaribbeanbeachrooms.jpg

Edited by SantaFeFan

....That said - these rooms look sleek! I do wonder if the twins will be able to be made into one bed.....

It looks like one of the end tables on the one bed would be placed in the center of the two beds, just like they do on the current ships. This can be seen in the last image on the linked page (copied below). I don't like the idea of a glass shower enclosure right next to the bed in the two center rooms. The shower noise would be quite annoying to anyone trying to sleep in late. And that tiny, almost non-existent closet is a problem as well.

I do like the upscale, modern look to the decor, and the glass shower enclosure that changes from translucent to opaque at the flip of a switch is a neat idea (it's the same type of glass used on the Reflection Suite's cantilevered shower on Reflection).

Softroom_XCruise-5.jpg

Edited by SantaFeFan

Actually, Disney's cruise ship staterooms are not like this design at all. They have two ENCLOSED and private areas, one with a sink and tub/shower, and one with a sink and toilet, with doors to close off those areas. They DO NOT have these areas open to the rest of the stateroom as in the proposed design.

Have you even been in a Disney stateroom? We have, so we know what they are like.

stateroom-mw-deluxe-family-verandah.jpg

FantasyFloorPlan_Deluxe-Oceanview-Stateroom-with-Veranda.jpg

And the Disney resorts we have stayed in aren't anything like the proposed design. They are pretty standard design found in many hotels around the world. We have stayed in five Disney resorts, and all had a room design much like this image below. We actually don't like this arrangement because anyone using the sink at night or in the morning disturbs those trying to sleep. A thin curtain is all that separates the two areas, so there is a noise and light issue.

CaribbeanCAD.jpg

disneycaribbeanbeachrooms.jpg

I was only writing about the design and concept of the sink in one area and the bathrooms in another, I would not expect them to be exactly the same. I have not been on a Disney ship but have read the Disney boards since Disney first came out with their ships. I have also stayed at several Disney resorts with the concept.

I was only writing about the design and concept of the sink in one area and the bathrooms in another, I would not expect them to be exactly the same. I have not been on a Disney ship but have read the Disney boards since Disney first came out with their ships. I have also stayed at several Disney resorts with the concept.

The Disney stateroom bathroom design is well thought out and executed. It is obviously designed with the family in mind, but it works very well for a couple traveling together. Because there are two separate areas with sinks, two people can get ready at the same time without being in each other's way. We thought it was the most convenient set up of all the cruise ships we have experienced. Wish more would do the same. Certainly not the minimalist setup in the renderings on that Edge design website.

I agree that the bathroom areas are too much like NCL Edge's designs, which have been lampooned even by NCL loyalists.

epic_modal_spadeluxebal_3.jpg

diagramme-m4-mini-suite-avec-balcon-famille.jpg

Edited by SantaFeFan

The Disney stateroom bathroom design is well thought out and executed. It is obviously designed with the family in mind, but it works very well for a couple traveling together. Because there are two separate areas with sinks, two people can get ready at the same time without being in each other's way. We thought it was the most convenient set up of all the cruise ships we have experienced. Wish more would do the same. Certainly not the minimalist setup in the renderings on that Edge design website.

I agree that the bathroom areas are too much like NCL Edge's designs, which have been lampooned even by NCL loyalists.

epic_modal_spadeluxebal_3.jpg

diagramme-m4-mini-suite-avec-balcon-famille.jpg

We also have to keep in mind at what stage these drawings are in the development of the ship. Are they first designs, final designs or any number of combinations. I have learned over the years to be very skeptical of things unless they come from an official Celebrity Press release.

Edited by dkjretired

I actually love the idea of having the sink outside the bathroom. Hotels now do it and we love it. Works much better than taking turns lol. We would happily give up closet space for cabin space (re Princess comment) and have more "living" space in the cabin. Looks like more room at the end of the bed.

The NCL Epic bathrooms have been widely hailed as the worst cruiseship bathroom design ever! You would think Celebrity would heed the bad publicity brought on NCL by that blunder. The very fact that NCL changed to a traditional bathroom on the Breakway Class would indicate they know what a misstep they made. Hopefully this bathroom and ridiculously small closet concet will go the way of the DoDo Bird!

That said I do like the decor scheme and it's a strong indicator that Celebrity are once again trying to push the interior design of their ships to the forefront. Very Residential, Earthy, Open and Organic.

I will be interested to see the final design when the formal announcements are made :D

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72

Definitely don't like the new bathroom designs with the sink outside. Celebrity has some of the nicest staterooms on their S class ships and I believe that Royal's Quantum Class ships' staterooms are also based on these.

Personally having a sink outside is neither modern, nor luxurious. Lets hope better sense prevails and they come up with something better.

Not sure I like the thought of using the loo, then having to touch a door before washing my hands....seems a little odd. We recently shared a family cabin on reflection, four men, and me, and one bathroom, and we never had any issues which would have required a sink outside the bathroom!

One thing I did see on Anthem of seas this year, was a large sink area in the buffet restaurant, behind a glass screen, allowing for easy proper hand washing before eating, that I did like!

Not sure I like the thought of using the loo, then having to touch a door before washing my hands....

Good point! People (myself included) tend to judge these kind of initial sketches purely on how things look, but hygiene is much more important.

That said, I do like the idea of installing "wooden" floor boards instead of carpets. It not only looks good, but is also easier to clean than carpet. Also very nice to see those floorboards extending onto the balcony. Gives the whole stateroom a very spacious feeling.

Edited by Antropos

The NCL Epic bathrooms have been widely hailed as the worst cruiseship bathroom design ever!

Yes, they have. But this looks even worse because it looks like the shower is completely open to the toilet. I really hope Celebrity doesn't go with this bathroom design and sticks with what they have on Solstice.

The bathroom is a no-go for us

And storage seems shrunken along with night table space -- I liked the drawers there

Also the rugs tend to lower noise levels especially over head. The way the walls face with headboards so close on the other side of the wall, I wonder if all conversations will be overheard.

Hope this is preliminary and changes will be made

Celebrity touted that women had real input in designing S class. I wonder about this design?

I wanted to love it. The only thing I love us the color scheme.

Edited by true45