Seven tips for your 1st Alaskan cruise

CineGraphic

1) Bring binoculars. They don't have to be expensive. Mine cost less than $20.

Could I see the color of the bear's eyes, no, but I could see the bear's teeth, and that's close enough for me.

2) If boarding in Vancouver, grab one of the coupon books.

Similar books can be found in every port, but the Vancouver edition seemed to have the lowest prices.

3) Buy everything you need in Ketchikan.

Being the closest port to the lower 48, prices will be the best.

We bought some well made applique sweatshirts, for just $9.99

4) If taking any sort of tour, ask your guide if there are any ripe Salmonberry vines around.

Salmonberry jelly is always a great treat to take home.

5) Research each port on sites like Tripadvisor.

Check out "things to do" and read reviews of the local tour companies.

Alaska is a great place to book independent excursions. Don't worry, they know you need to get back to the ship.

You'll have a better time than the group tours and save some sheckles too.

6) Don't over-pack. You're in a floating hotel most of the time.

7) Don't buy gold. The mark-up is shameful.

2) If boarding in Vancouver, grab one of the coupon books.

Similar books can be found in every port, but the Vancouver edition seemed to have the lowest prices.

Thanks for the tips! I'm curious what the coupon book is for? Is it for Vancouver sites or something else?

I do get it. Some folks pack as though they are going camping - they bring along anything they might need for any possible emergency and they put a lot of energy into securing, arranging, and lugging around things that aren't necessary. The boat is like a hotel - you can buy superglue or duct tape or aspirin. There's food and laundry services there.

If it makes you happy to have a 4 page packing list, that's fine, but if that is overwhelming to a person, it's certainly not a requirement.

Thanks for the tips! I'm curious what the coupon book is for? Is it for Vancouver sites or something else?

WE did a cruise from Vancouver and picked up one of these coupon books,had coupons for discounts off souvenirs at stores in the various ports, or for a free gift if you spend x amount in a store.Was some giving reductions for restaurants, but overall didn't think is was that great.Most of the shops that it was for were the one selling souvenirs with made in china on them

WE did a cruise from Vancouver and picked up one of these coupon books,had coupons for discounts off souvenirs at stores in the various ports, or for a free gift if you spend x amount in a store.Was some giving reductions for restaurants, but overall didn't think is was that great.Most of the shops that it was for were the one selling souvenirs with made in china on them

I agree with you.

Years ago we actually used one coupon. I have noticed over the years that the coupons are really worthless and have gone downhill.

Unfortunately, because you never know how the weather is going to turn out, over packing happens. There could be predictions of 40% chance or higher of rain every day and you never get a drop. (Which basically just happened on my cruise recently.) But you still need to prepare for rain.

The week or so leading up to my cruise the temps were in the 60's at most ports. The week I'm there, it was low 50's. You just never know.

For layering purposes, pack a couple of sweaters or sweatshirts. Have a hoodie and a light jacket. The light jacket I have is good in temps around upper 30's. Not quite a winter jacket, but close.

Also, and I know some people are a bit bothered by this because they want a fresh pair every day, but packing more than 2 pairs of jeans for a 7 day cruise is too much. I packed 5 pair for a 17 day trip.

Finally, I try to pack the extra pairs of shoes in the carry-on. This way all that weight is not in your checked bags.

If you are worried about space and weight, invest in a backpacking rain suit. The jacket serves two purposes - as a rain coat and as a wind breaker.

The backpacker's rain suit compresses into little, light-weight bags. Toss them into a day pack for when you go into a port. If it starts raining, you have gear available. No need for an umbrella.

If you are worried about space and weight, invest in a backpacking rain suit. The jacket serves two purposes - as a rain coat and as a wind breaker.

Yes, also look at gear made for runners. I carried a pair of running gloves that worked very well yet still let me easily use my camera.

Both for backpacking and for travel, convertible pants are fantastic. Lightweight and they take very little space in your luggage. Start the day as pants; if it gets warm enough just unzip the legs and you're in shorts. Treat them with a DWR product such as ReviveX / GearAid wash-in waterproofing and they're rain pants as well. Jeans are heavy, bulky, and chill you to the bone if they get at all wet... plus they take forever to dry.

In preparation for our recent trip we watched for end-of-season clearance sales on packable lightweight down jackets and snagged a couple great deals. These were fantastic; light and taking little space in our daypacks they came in super handy when it got cold such as during the WhitePass Yukon Route rail trip and during the Kenai Fjords excursion up by the glaciers.

Edited by gpb11

Down filled jackets aren't going to work on wet days.

That's odd, they worked great for us on rainy days. Real world experience talking here.

Obviously, we had rain jackets we wore over them.

That's odd, they worked great for us on rainy days. Real world experience talking here.

Obviously, we had rain jackets we wore over them.

That's what I mentioned. Needing the outside water proof layer is the must. We saw people wearing down jackets on our fjord/northcape cruise. They couldn't wear their jackets for a couple days after being caught in the rain.:o

I don't see summer cruising in Alaska calling for down unless headed up to glacier areas.

Edited by eandj

That's what I mentioned. Needing the outside water proof layer is the must. We saw people wearing down jackets on our fjord/northcape cruise. They couldn't wear their jackets for a couple days after being caught in the rain.:o

I don't see summer cruising in Alaska calling for down unless headed up to glacier areas.

Even then you should be in layers. Here's what we wore when we were on Mendenhall:

0?url=http%3A%2F%2Fuse-opa-thumb1-s3.ciggws.net%2Fa5a%2F07e%2Faad%2Fl%2F08b263b486203bc67d1dd2df1b21b935b189ac35.jpg%3FExpires%3D1465960401%26Signature%3Dn%7EqefRrhkB-OspClTiqtK-VDFbsgb8q8feKBsIba77MH2xnFOhi58TbFprdXhwP99wmlQin7HIhTSROnyS6Dp5%7E%7EbkoC5MsGTT4BCJrtnc7zz56fyNHJ43x5PzsMvOor-eUdIsip%7EIsUW7AaSWX7Nn4qcRru-%7E0oK2GusSm-pak_%26Key-Pair-Id%3DAPKAI6Q7XM4O2UGWCGGA

I was quite comfy in that, but I'm also very warm blooded. My wife had on a sweatshirt as well. Both of our jackets are relatively light weight. Great for 30 degrees, but not much colder.

Depends on the definition of summer... and what you think of when someone mentions down jackets. :D

I'm referring to fairly lightweight down jackets such as the Patagonia Ultralight jacket I have, rather than big thick winter parka style jackets. Mine came in real handy standing out on the WPYR rail car platform taking pictures as well as on the bow of a catamaran approaching Aialik glacier... :) A big heavy down parka would of course be overkill.

My goal in choosing down was low weight and small size when packed away in my day pack. Yes, it requires more caution than fleece or synthetics, but this jacket also packs down to the size of a softball and weighs 9 ounces.

Anyway, it's just a suggestion based on what worked very well for my wife and I during our trip these past two weeks. The OP is free to choose whatever works best from the various ideas presented.

Edited by gpb11

4) If taking any sort of tour, ask your guide if there are any ripe Salmonberry vines around.

Salmonberry jelly is always a great treat to take home.

yes, please, take those insipid salmon berries south with you and leave the raspberries, huckleberries and blueberries for me and the bears.

just back from a cruise out of Campbell River BC where the salmonberries were just ripe. everyone else would fawn all over them during beach trips except the lovely mrs b-d and me. at our house, we kill them .......

• 7 months later...
Depends on the definition of summer... and what you think of when someone mentions down jackets. :D

I'm referring to fairly lightweight down jackets such as the Patagonia Ultralight jacket I have, rather than big thick winter parka style jackets. Mine came in real handy standing out on the WPYR rail car platform taking pictures as well as on the bow of a catamaran approaching Aialik glacier... :) A big heavy down parka would of course be overkill.

My goal in choosing down was low weight and small size when packed away in my day pack. Yes, it requires more caution than fleece or synthetics, but this jacket also packs down to the size of a softball and weighs 9 ounces.

Anyway, it's just a suggestion based on what worked very well for my wife and I during our trip these past two weeks. The OP is free to choose whatever works best from the various ideas presented.

I've just bought one of these lightweight down jackets which zips inside the waterproof jacket. Ideal.

• 3 weeks later...

1. Take sea-sick meds before you step on the ship and for a few days afterwards. Why get sick in the first place.

2. DONT over pack. Other passengers don't remember what you had on anyway, why pay for the extra baggage and you probably wont wear most of what you take anyway.

3. Take lots of $1 bills too tip employee's on the ship. ( room service/bar tenders )

4.Get to the port city the day before the cruise. Enjoy that city and you will make sure you don't miss the ship.

5 .Even though you might want to do every tour there is in the ports, remember to try to enjoy what that port city has to offer. There are many free things to do that are historical and cultural that can be fun and relaxing.

6. I always saved money by only eating on the ship.

7. Don't be afraid to go on a cruise by yourself. The best cruises I took were solo's. I had the cabin to myself. I also did not have too worry about whether anybody else wanted to do the same things I wanted to do on the ship or in the ports. It was wonderful. So do don't be afraid to get out there and enjoy a cruise all by yourself.

8. I always booked my own flight. I wanted to be in control of my layovers and flight times.

9. Remember, just because you are on vacation does not mean you should let your cabin look like a bomb went off in it. Please clean up after your self as much as possible to help out the room steward. They work very hard in many cabins per day.

10. Relax, smile and keep telling yourself what a great ship you are on and enjoy you cruise.

> Both of our jackets are relatively light weight. Great for 30 degrees, but not much colder.

I had to look at the location of the person who wrote this post, considering 30F requiring light protection. Chicago - okay, that makes sense. We do the same in Wyoming. My SIL bought a down jacket for our upcoming Alaska cruise in May. She lives in Houston and I don't ever expect to see her out of it! lol

Phone calls between us are a hoot.

BIL: We are having a cold snap, it got down into the 50s yesterday

Me: Wow, it's almost too warm here. Got up into the 30s today!

• Like 1

Some cool tips on here, thanks everyone!

I also wanted to share a really funny blog written by one of the crew members on the NCL Jewel doing Alaska, with some great stories about what to do and where to eat in the Alaskan ports. It's called Down To Kokomo blog and is on WordPress.

Happy Sailing everybody! :D

Get to the port city the day before the cruise. Enjoy that city and you will make sure you don't miss the ship.

Unless you live in or near the port city and enjoy it every day already. ;p

DONT over pack. Other passengers don't remember what you had on anyway,

AND.... a lot of people from other parts of the country or world may not be familiar with the frontier casualness in the Pac NW and Alaska. Jeans and sweatshirts or flannel shirts are the norm and nobody pays attention to what others are wearing. Layers are a daily routine living here - comfort over fashion any day.

• Like 1