Bye Bye Lobsters

BirdTravels

Two weeks ago, lobsters disappeared off all of the specialty restaurant menus on the Norwegian Dawn. The Dawn had changed to the Escape menus when it came out dry dock q couple of months ago. Now they are offering modified menus in all specialty restaurant. The only place you can order a lobster dinner now is the MDR for a $24.99 upcharge. And it is a 12 oz grilled tail, not a whole lobster.

I can't eat lobster or shellfish but a tail for 25 dollars is ridiculous. Since i have been going on NCL they got rid of free cappuccinos, free room service where you could get pizza, lobster, what is next? ice tea? anyways is a shame..

:rolleyes:

Edited by qtaromar1970

I can't eat lobster or shellfish but a tail for 25 dollars is ridiculous. Since i have been going on NCL they got rid of free cappuccinos, free room service where you could get pizza, lobster, what is next? ice tea? anyways is a shame..

:rolleyes:

Sorry I am just dropping in on this discussion.. but are you saying that they have eliminated free room service? If so, what does it cost?

We are just about to book an Alaskan cruise on NCL -- they have the best price right now for the cruise we want to do -- but worried about the comments we have been reading regarding the beverage policy and now this.

We would appreciate any clarification. Is room service no longer included in cruise fare?

Thanks,

Becky

Sorry I am just dropping in on this discussion.. but are you saying that they have eliminated free room service? If so, what does it cost?

We would appreciate any clarification. Is room service no longer included in cruise fare?

Thanks,

Becky

There is a $7.95 "service charge" per order. So they are saying it's still "free", you just pay the service charge.

There is a $7.95 "service charge" per order. So they are saying it's still "free", you just pay the service charge.

However, continental breakfast is still free, and the menu has a lot more items, including hot breakfast items, which it lacked before.

A while back, NCL started charging a $7.95 delivery fee for each order (regardless of size, to include pizza). This includes lunch, dinner, late night, and hot food items for breakfast (eggs).

You can still have a cold continental breakfast delivered for free. So,,,, you can still have hot coffee and a Danish to watch the beautiful Alaskan scenery each morning for free.

Suites still get all meals delivered for free.

Enjoy your Alaskan cruise.

The $7.95 was a good idea. Probably stops a lot of food being wasted. Some people just like to stay in their room and strap on the feedbag all day. Maybe the $7.95 will help control that.

Bummer loved the lobster pasta at LaCuchina!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

They've replaced it with shrimp. I had it on the Gem last week and it was very tasty, with plenty of shrimp. Some with the shells on but then there seemed to be a fair amount of chopped pieces throughout the dish. I never had the lobster, so I can't compare the two. But it was good shrimp fra diavolo.

We had the old UDP, so mostly ate in the specialty restaurants on the Gem. I believe there was lobster for an upcharge on the MDR menu the night we ate there. Maybe at Cagney's too. We're lucky to live near the ocean AND a very good fish store, so if we're going to pay for lobster anyway, we can get it anytime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The continental breakfast is very limited (much more limited than it was before the service charge), and does not include hot items.

I understand your comment, but common sense tells me the "coffee" is served "hot".

Or has NCL gone to "iced coffee" for breakfast ?

The continental breakfast is very limited (much more limited than it was before the service charge), and does not include hot items.

There was never hot breakfast items on NCL before they revamped the nene with the fee (years ago ther was an omelet you could get anytime, but that was removed). It's much more extensive now.

Just got off the Breakaway yesterday and can confirm that there was no Lobster in Cagney's. The surf and turf is now 3 shrimp and a filet. No lobster in Le Bistro either.

Well, I am royally pissed!! The only reason I purchased a 5-night SDP for our coming 14 night transatlantic was so hubby could have lobster at Cagneys and Le Bistro. I did that also in April and he really enjoyed the treat. He was looking forward to having it again so is going to be disappointed.

I know that the easterners don't understand since they have lobster readily available but for some of us cruisers, having lobster tail for at least one cruise dinner was a treat we looked forward to.

However, continental breakfast is still free, and the menu has a lot more items, including hot breakfast items, which it lacked before.

But the hot breakfast items are not part of the free continental breakfast. The hot breakfast items trigger the $7.95 delivery charge.

Well, I am royally pissed!! The only reason I purchased a 5-night SDP for our coming 14 night transatlantic was so hubby could have lobster at Cagneys and Le Bistro. I did that also in April and he really enjoyed the treat. He was looking forward to having it again so is going to be disappointed.

I know that the easterners don't understand since they have lobster readily available but for some of us cruisers, having lobster tail for at least one cruise dinner was a treat we looked forward to.

I agree with you! One of the main reasons I purchase the dinner package is to have cold water lobster. I am platinum and these changes are becoming ridiculous. The new CEO needs to go. He is forcing loyal customers to reconsider their cruising options. The prices continue to increase and the product is being watered down considerably. I was partial to NCL but enjoyed the few cruises I have done on Celebrity and will be steering more of my business to them in the future

Does anyone know if CCL and RCCL have done the same?

Royal Caribbean still serves free lobster in the main dining room on formal nights on the Caribbean routes.

Room service is free on Royal also, unless you order between certain hours in the middle of the night (I think midnight-5am) and the charge is $5.95 in that case.

But keep in mind that cruise fares on Royal are 2 to 3 times more expensive than NCL from what I can see. A 7 day cruise on thanksgiving week with NCL is about $500 on the Getaway, but on Royal it is $1,300-$1,500 on their Freedom class ships (nice ships, seemingly comparable to getaway, but royal's newest and biggest ships would cost even more money).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by ColoradoGurl

Oh look NCL is once again removing something that was in your cruise price and turning it into an up-sell charge.

So let's take stock here; there is now no free room service (unless all you want is cold breakfast and bad coffee!). No free pop/soda, no free bottle water, no free lobster, no free GOOD coffee, all the good food is only in the specialty restaurant the you have to pay extra for and you can't bring on any thing to drink that you like( water,juice, pop,etc...)!

Will it looks like my time with NCL is at and end.

Have a great day[emoji924][emoji4][emoji106]

Edited by Joyously Sailing Away

We are just about to book an Alaskan cruise on NCL -- they have the best price right now for the cruise we want to do -- but worried about the comments we have been reading regarding the beverage policy and now this.

Thanks,

Becky

Just a polite suggestion...if the room service fee is coming as a surprise to you I will venture to guess you aren't on these boards frequently nor have cruised ncl recently

Many many changes at ncl....IMHO even though they really don't bother me...other than the bottled water issue...

So I suggest you read up on the "new" ncl under frank del rio....commonly referred to as FDR or del feeo on these boards

Oh look NCL is once again removing something that was in your cruise price and turning it into an up-sell charge.

So let's take stock here; there is now no free room service (unless all you want is cold breakfast and bad coffee!). No free pop/soda, no free bottle water, no free lobster, no free GOOD coffee, all the good food is only in the specialty restaurant the you have to pay extra for and you can't bring on any thing to drink that you like( water,juice, pop,etc...)!

Will it looks like my time with NCL is at and end.

Have a great day[emoji924][emoji4][emoji106]

Was soda ever free?

Just asking