Bye Bye Lobsters

BirdTravels

Well, I am royally pissed!! The only reason I purchased a 5-night SDP for our coming 14 night transatlantic was so hubby could have lobster at Cagneys and Le Bistro. I did that also in April and he really enjoyed the treat. He was looking forward to having it again so is going to be disappointed.

I know that the easterners don't understand since they have lobster readily available but for some of us cruisers, having lobster tail for at least one cruise dinner was a treat we looked forward to.

I'm going to keep my dining package but basically I echo your disappointment. For years cruise lines have offered free lobster night in the MDR. I Haven't seen them go broke over it yet. I thought it was sad that they removed it from the MDR free menu but OK so it gives one the excuse to order it at the specialty restaurants...why remove it from the specialty restaurants, people are paying an up charge for it. I'm sorry but that is really greedy of NCL. What's next?

Well, at least this time NCL evidently has a good excuse for removing lobster from menus -- lobster prices are the highest they've been in ten years!

I'm still pissed though. :mad:

Maybe lobsters are expensive where you are from but very low in New England. We just had six 2lb fresh lobsters with steamed clams at the lake camp in Maine this weekend at a very reasonable price. Cruise ship lobsters are mediocre at best. Yum!

The main dining room lobsters have been gone for a long time, they switched to the buffet for a time under Kevin Sheehan's tenure.

People that take the SDP perk have not been paying for lobster in various specialties as they use their SDP to cover that meal, now they cannot do that anymore, so I understand people being upset about this latest move.

Back when they first started selling lobster in the MDR, we had the discussion of the 18% charge, and yes they charged it. The waiter was covered by the DSC, yet it was charged. Not sure if that's still the case, if it is, then it sure is expensive considering you've already paid for a meal in your cruise fare.

I'm going to keep my dining package but basically I echo your disappointment. For years cruise lines have offered free lobster night in the MDR. I Haven't seen them go broke over it yet. I thought it was sad that they removed it from the MDR free menu but OK so it gives one the excuse to order it at the specialty restaurants...why remove it from the specialty restaurants, people are paying an up charge for it. I'm sorry but that is really greedy of NCL. What's next?
If it is just greed, why wouldn't they just increase the cost. Can't see where it is greed if they aren't making a dime off it.

If it is just greed, why wouldn't they just increase the cost. Can't see where it is greed if they aren't making a dime off it.

Do you really need to get lobsters on a cruise ship? Come on, there are plenty of other things in the world to worry about.

I guess I feel it's "greed" because they have already gotten my $$ for my cruise next month for the specialty restaurant package. I don't think I have to apologize for feeling disappointed to hear about the change as I am someone who saves up all year to take one cruise and I rarely if ever spend that savings to buy a lobster dinner at home. So therefore I look forward to eating lobster on my vacation. It is certainly not a make or break situation but a disappointment nonetheless. Also, NCL did not lower the price of the dining package did they? No, they just cheapened the offerings...SORRY..GREED, (in my humble opinion!)

I guess I feel it's "greed" because they have already gotten my $$ for my cruise next month for the specialty restaurant package. I don't think I have to apologize for feeling disappointed to hear about the change as I am someone who saves up all year to take one cruise and I rarely if ever spend that savings to buy a lobster dinner at home. So therefore I look forward to eating lobster on my vacation. It is certainly not a make or break situation but a disappointment nonetheless. Also, NCL did not lower the price of the dining package did they? No, they just cheapened the offerings...SORRY..GREED, (in my humble opinion!)
You can cancel your SDP and then they won't have your money. It is fine to be disappointed, there are many things in life that disappoint me. Why would they lower the price of the dining package, as many, many passengers don't even eat the lobster under the package. If you think it is greed, cancel your dining package or cancel your cruise, as that will show them how you feel. Sorry, not greed IMHO.

Just got off the Escape. I can attest that lobster is no longer available at Cagney's. I can understand eliminating it at the MDR but not at the specialty restaurants. I had purchased the concierge app where I browsed the online menu before arriving. It clearly states the Surf & Turf as being filet and lobster. Since I had already decided I was having Surf & Turf before arriving at Cagney's.... I was "surprised" when the filet arrived flanked by 3 shrimp on a skewer. To add insult to injury, those shrimp are really placed securely on the skewer. One of the three went flying across the dining room as I attempted to remove/devour it. The shrimp was good but I was disappointed as I don't consider this Surf & Turf. Silly me for not reading the actual menu in front of me before placing my order. This was my first time aboard NCL so I have to admit it was disappointing. I've cruised with Celebrity several times and this was never the case. Who knows, cruise lines seem much like air lines these days. If one does it, the others will likely follow suit. Wouldn't necessarily keep me from sailing with NCL again but something that I would hold under consideration. Someday, I hope to go to New England where I can have the real thing. For now, I typically only have lobster while cruising so it's all I know.

Since most of us in the forum are "of a certain age," we still think of lobsters as a delicacy. In reality, lobsters (at least cold water) have been historically cheap for a decade or so.

Most restaurants keep lobster prices high because customers expect them to be high. A local haunt has been providing two medium sized lobsters for $13 for years now--I have to assume they make money doing this. Granted, this is not a high end restaurant, but between you and me, a lobster is a lobster. Well, except for those frozen tail things they used to serve at NCL.

Lobsters on cruises don't taste great.

I guess being from New England I am spoiled.

You can cancel your SDP and then they won't have your money. It is fine to be disappointed, there are many things in life that disappoint me. Why would they lower the price of the dining package, as many, many passengers don't even eat the lobster under the package. If you think it is greed, cancel your dining package or cancel your cruise, as that will show them how you feel. Sorry, not greed IMHO.

They have taken away yet another item that was included in the SDP. It had a value and now it's gone, so yes, it's greed. They did it to increase their profits and it is another thing taken away from the passengers.

Yay! Another lobster thread!!!

Cheer up everyone. FDR may have removed all the lobster but he did add hot dogs at O'Sheehans!!!!!

And if you like those, you don't know the real thing! They're nothing like the hot dogs you get here in the North East:D