Bye Bye Lobsters

BirdTravels

Our Haven suite for two is costing just a tick over $4,000 for two of us included in fare is Spa Package, Use of Haven Courtyard and Restaurant, UBP, 4 nights specialty, gratuities, Wi-Fi, and taxes and port fees. I am quite happy about not needing to pay a $10 room service fee. So I pay 2 times what you pay.

So actually, paying two tines what a two person stateroom cost actually means that your freebies are included in what you are paying, not freebies! They couldn't sell your bed for the price you paid without making you feel like they are adding freebies.

Actually, I got the UBP included in the $900 I am paying in a Studio room. All in all, I don't mind the extra cost of things if it's something that is extra. Bringing bottled water onboard shouldn't be prohibited so they can charge $47/case.

Although fruit and yogurt are evidently included in continental breakfast on Escape and maybe the other mega ships they are NOT included on Jewel, Jade and probably the other smaller ships. Those are limited to coffee/tea, juice and pastries/muffins.

I didn't see yogurt or fruit listed for the continental breakfast onboard the Breakaway last Nov when I ordered it on one of my cruise days.

So actually, paying two tines what a two person stateroom cost actually means that your freebies are included in what you are paying, not freebies! They couldn't sell your bed for the price you paid without making you feel like they are adding freebies.

Actually, I got the UBP included in the $900 I am paying in a Studio room. All in all, I don't mind the extra cost of things if it's something that is extra. Bringing bottled water onboard shouldn't be prohibited so they can charge $47/case.

You can't compare staying in a studio cabin to staying in the Haven. There is more to it than the room itself, it is the entire experience, the level of service and quality overall is like comparing driving an economy car to driving a Mercedes's or a BMW. The freebies are nice, but I wouldn't pay the price simply for a bigger room with a few "freebies" either. :rolleyes:

Interesting. Already a change from last week!
This is really strange. One week folks are told it isn't available and the next week or so it is there. Wondering if they were changing their distributor or if their current distributor couldn't supply them or maybe it is gone, but they found some in the freezer and decided not to let it go to waste.

I heard the Escape offers lobster one evening in the buffet. They serve what they call the "Seafood Buffet". Is this accurate?
Don't know about the Escape specifically, but on other ships, one of the theme nights in the buffet is the "Seafood Extravaganza" and one of the offerings that night is "lobster pasta". Before you get all excited, here are a couple of photos of the dish.

lobster_zps45943cf3.jpg

c7775140a2b3934476cc449d042652db.jpg

Edited by hawkeyetlse

In 2015, the 'seafood' night on the Getaway involved little grilled shrimp on skewers that didn't taste like anything; and some overcooked, mushy penne pasta with a bland white sauce, strips of bell pepper, and a few rubbery overcooked lobster pieces floating about in it. (I think there's a pic of it upthread.) Didn't go back for seconds, and the bar for me on that kind of dish is quite low.

Note, I can normally find something I like to eat on the -away ship buffets. But if you're going on a cruise for lobster--maybe don't bother.

(Although ... Disney had a lobster pasta dish in Palo that was TDF.)

I heard the Escape offers lobster one evening in the buffet. They serve what they call the "Seafood Buffet". Is this accurate?

There are no lobster on the seafood buffet. Haven't been there for a few years. When they were there, they were the tiny "slipper lobster".

Edited by BirdTravels

I posted menus that I received from pre concierge last week. No lobster. But it may vary by week, month, ship, day- who knows?

I would pose the question to a roll call traveling next week and see if someone will report back.

As of 9/3/16 no more lobster in haven

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

An interesting thread. It almost sounds like there is not -- at the moment -- a standard policy throughout the line, regarding lobster being available in the specialty restaurants??

Mind you, this has never been a big deal to me, because we have never bothered to spend the extra $$ to go to one of the specialty restaurants rather than the main dining room. But, I just realized that hubby will reach Platinum status in the first half of our 14-night Trans-Atlantic cruise on the Jade this coming Oct/Nov, and if I read the list of "perks" correctly, it looks like when his Platinum status is recognized (whether we are lucky and they recognize it during the Trans-Atlantic, or whether it is on the back-to-back Western Caribbean right after it), it looks like he gets a dinner for two in one of those restaurants.

Well, yay! Hopefully, we will be able to book a reservation once we know the ship recognizes his Platinum status.

You know, the only thing worse than not having lobster in the menu, is having lobster served to you not properly prepared. That is just the pits. Of course one may send them back but after two or three gummy textured lobsters, seems reasonable to give up and settle for the Coq au Vin.

Cheers.

An interesting thread. It almost sounds like there is not -- at the moment -- a standard policy throughout the line, regarding lobster being available in the specialty restaurants??

Mind you, this has never been a big deal to me, because we have never bothered to spend the extra $$ to go to one of the specialty restaurants rather than the main dining room. But, I just realized that hubby will reach Platinum status in the first half of our 14-night Trans-Atlantic cruise on the Jade this coming Oct/Nov, and if I read the list of "perks" correctly, it looks like when his Platinum status is recognized (whether we are lucky and they recognize it during the Trans-Atlantic, or whether it is on the back-to-back Western Caribbean right after it), it looks like he gets a dinner for two in one of those restaurants.

Well, yay! Hopefully, we will be able to book a reservation once we know the ship recognizes his Platinum status.

You don't reach Platinum until after the cruise is completed.

As of 9/3/16 no more lobster in haven

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That's ok. If we get the lobster craving again we'll just book with MSC again.

In our last two cruises earlier this year with MSC, we each got two good sized tails in the MDR.

Cheers.