Dress Code/Dining Room

sunny2runner

Is there a dress code for the dining room?

We have done Disney and NCL where there was no dress code.

My teen age son does not like to dress up. Can he get away with a v neck and khaki shorts in the dining room? Trying to figure out if I need to buy other options for a MSC Christmas cruise.

Thanks!

My teen age son does not like to dress up. Can he get away with a v neck and khaki shorts in the dining room? Trying to figure out if I need to buy other options for a MSC Christmas cruise.

Thanks!

Are you planning on short in DR on Xmas dinner? :confused: no, they will not let him in it's not NCL.

Are you planning on short in DR on Xmas dinner? :confused: no, they will not let him in it's not NCL.

Absolutely no need to be rude!! I am asking for clarification on MSC cruise dining room dress code and if there is one that needs to be adhere too. :o:rolleyes:

This is our first MSC cruise experience so I wondered as we have done 12 Disney cruises and 4 NCL where he has been able to get away with dressing down as they allow cruise casual attire in the Main dining rooms.

People come here to ask for helpful and insight information not be scolded by rude replies. If don't have a teenage son who does not like to dress up than please refrain from your rude comments. Not needed!!

Maybe try being helpful and kind or don't reply.

Absolutely no need to be rude!! I am asking for clarification on MSC cruise dining room dress code and if there is one that needs to be adhere too. :o:rolleyes:

This is our first MSC cruise experience so I wondered as we have done 12 Disney cruises and 4 NCL where he has been able to get away with dressing down as they allow cruise casual attire in the Main dining rooms.

People come here to ask for helpful and insight information not be scolded by rude replies. If don't have a teenage son who does not like to dress up than please refrain from your rude comments. Not needed!!

Maybe try being helpful and kind or don't reply.

Rude, is when people wear shorts and baseball caps to fine DR. I am very politely answered you than MSC is not NCL and has different dress cod .

Thanks!

From my experience on Divina shorts were not permitted in the MDR as stated in the dress code. I know that one of my tablemates was turned away from the MDR at breakfast as he was wearing shorts - so I imagine at dinner they would be potentially stricter.

I think dress code aside, its perhaps worth thinking about whether he would feel out of place next to people who have dressed up? Not a criticism at all, I just think that a cruise is a potentially rare opportunity to do as you wouldn't do at home - dressing up being one of those things.

Either way, enjoy your cruise!

I just got off Divina and they will let you in with just about anything even on formal night. There were folks in jeans, tennis shoes and shorts. Nice shorts but they were the minority. Not sure they felt comfortable on formal night but they let them in. On the other nights my 15 year old had on shorts and a t-shirt and he was fine. Hubby either had on plaid shorts or jeans or joggers and had no problem.

Thank you Two Wheels. The cartoon you have displayed is posted on all the daily notices when onboard. Notice the last sentence under the pictures...it says...NO SHORTS AT DINNER. Now that is the official policy but why pay any attention to that if you can ignore it and show up for dinner in whatever pleases you. After all...if you actually saw someone in the dining room who was wearing shorts and a baseball cap with bare feet...that must mean you can get away with it. Isn’t that what life is all about...ignore the rules-requests-suggestions-directions and see what you can get away with??

Now I wonder...do you think I might get away with wearing my beach robe and slippers and my shower cap?? After all...the suggested dress said no bathrobes or baseball hats...:confused:;)

Rude, is when people wear shorts and baseball caps to fine DR. I am very politely answered you than MSC is not NCL and has different dress cod .

You absolutely were rude. And NCL does not allow shorts in the formal MDR (the large aft ones), nor in a couple of specialty restaurants.

Come on everyone...loosen up!! Shorts can be worn all the time. I wore them every night but the 2 formal nights...and to be honest I probably could have worn them on those nights. And as for being turned away....with the exception of maybe a few pay for your meal restaurants ....I have yet to see a person turned away in the MDR. Case in point...no basketball shorts, uncollered shirt or cap allowed in MDR....Lo and behold on my last cruise...I saw atleast 1-5 people in that attire every night and they sat comfortably at their table. Not saying its right...but unless its enforced people will do as they want!!

You absolutely were rude. And NCL does not allow shorts in the formal MDR (the large aft ones), nor in a couple of specialty restaurants.
Shorts are allowed in the Manhattan Room, which is the large aft MDR on the Escape. I know this from first hand experience on my last three cruises going back to July of 2016. Le Bistro and Bayamo were the two specialty locations that required long pants. It did irk me that they allowed cutoffs and baseball caps in Cagney's steakhouse.

Ok--just so I understand this correctly as this is my first cruise...

You are expected to come 'ready' for breakfast, lunch and dinner? I can't roll out of bed and go to the breakfast buffet with a baseball cap for my bedhead? For lunch, I can't go in my swimsuit and cover up? Dinner--I understand that it's required to be dressed up.

I just want to make sure I have it all straight. I'm not complaining. :D Just trying to manage expectations for my family.

Thanks all for your input :-) I appreciate the helpful responses (nice people responses) :-) hehe

If any of you have (or now grown sons) any teenage sons, they absolutely do not care if they don't fit in even with being surrounded by dressed up crowd :-)

I think we will be not going to the formal dinner in the dining room and maybe hit up one of the buffet or specialty dining options on Formal Night as our entire family is more beachy/west coast casual. The really formal nights aren't our thing as my/our idea of dressing up is sun dresses and linen button down shirt/khakis and flip flops downs for dinner. This type of dress style was fine on Disney cruises but I think that this cruise may be a bit more fantasy for formal nights.

Who knows even if on the Seaside will have the formal night and Christmas day on same day?

I did learned from experience that being on a cruise on a holiday (Thanksgiving) is that everyone rushes the main dining room on the holidays and the MDR service and quality can be off on that evening so we might opt out and have a lovely dining experience in another venue.

Have mostly done Royal cruises before but looking at booking MSC for next year. Seaside Caribbean. Anyway in general what do the majority of people wear on formal nights. We love to dress up tux/long dress but wouldn't want to look completely out of place.

P.s. I don't care if others don't want to dress up, their choice

It is for this reason I'm looking forward to the Sports Bar aboard Seaside. My 10 year old son will not want to sit in a stuffy formal dining room more than 1-2 times, and I don't really want to go to the Buffet. Having a casual sit down venue is a nice option. At least from what I've heard (comparisons to Divina I think), food should be free there (The MSC for Me app describes "drinks and snacks.") From the looks of the videos posted online, the Seaside sports bar looks very nice!

It is for this reason I'm looking forward to the Sports Bar aboard Seaside. My 10 year old son will not want to sit in a stuffy formal dining room more than 1-2 times, and I don't really want to go to the Buffet. Having a casual sit down venue is a nice option. At least from what I've heard (comparisons to Divina I think), food should be free there (The MSC for Me app describes "drinks and snacks.") From the looks of the videos posted online, the Seaside sports bar looks very nice!

Something else to consider. On the Divina, kids could go to dinner with the kids club. Our kids did that a few nights and loved it. They got to eat foods they like in their own section of the buffet with their friends. My DW and I actually felt guilty a couple of nights going to the dining room w/o them (we got over it :)). In reality my kids enjoyed dinner a lot more that way. Now, I have no idea if they will do this on the Seaside, but I would imagine (hope) they would.

Have mostly done Royal cruises before but looking at booking MSC for next year. Seaside Caribbean. Anyway in general what do the majority of people wear on formal nights. We love to dress up tux/long dress but wouldn't want to look completely out of place.

P.s. I don't care if others don't want to dress up, their choice

On the Divina there were some Tuxes and gowns to be sure. Most guys (me included) wore suits with ties. Did see some sport coats and shirt with ties too. A few with coats and open collar. IMHO you will not be out of place (and never are) over dressing. Enjoy.

Ok--just so I understand this correctly as this is my first cruise...

You are expected to come 'ready' for breakfast, lunch and dinner? I can't roll out of bed and go to the breakfast buffet with a baseball cap for my bedhead? For lunch, I can't go in my swimsuit and cover up? Dinner--I understand that it's required to be dressed up.

I just want to make sure I have it all straight. I'm not complaining. :D Just trying to manage expectations for my family.

No, the buffet is different. Breakfast and lunch you'll have no problem at the buffets in what you mentioned above.

Thanks all for your input :-) I appreciate the helpful responses (nice people responses) :-) hehe

If any of you have (or now grown sons) any teenage sons, they absolutely do not care if they don't fit in even with being surrounded by dressed up crowd :-)

I would use this as a teaching opportunity for your son. You might point out to him that the staff in the MDR dress up and try to create a more formal atmosphere on formal nights and they greatly appreciate those guests who make an attempt to do so.

I think we will be not going to the formal dinner in the dining room and maybe hit up one of the buffet or specialty dining options on Formal Night as our entire family is more beachy/west coast casual. The really formal nights aren't our thing as my/our idea of dressing up is sun dresses and linen button down shirt/khakis and flip flops downs for dinner. This type of dress style was fine on Disney cruises but I think that this cruise may be a bit more fantasy for formal nights.

You should be fine with the above although I would rethink the flip-flops...they tend to detract from the rest of your outfit.

Who knows even if on the Seaside will have the formal night and Christmas day on same day?

They often do.

I did learned from experience that being on a cruise on a holiday (Thanksgiving) is that everyone rushes the main dining room on the holidays and the MDR service and quality can be off on that evening so we might opt out and have a lovely dining experience in another venue.

Again...on MSC...the staff makes an effort to make everything special on formal nights. The Captain and officers are circulating and you can have a picture taken with the Captain. The bars are open for an hour or so before dinner serving complimentary cocktails, etc. and there are a lot of people who are dressed up. You will see everything from gowns and tuxes to jeans with fancy suspenders. I would think that you would want to go to the MDR and enjoy. :)

again, first time cruiser so pardon my ignorance. Please explain the dining room experience to me. Is it where everyone is assigned a seat at a large round table then all fed the same thing? Much like a wedding or a charity dinner?

You may or may not be assigned to a larger table. If you were a group of 4, you could either have a table to yourself or be placed with others. From what I saw, there were large tables of 8 with only 3 or 4 people sitting at them. You will also be assigned a dining time (which can you choose your preference), either early or late sitting.

In terms of food, you will be ordering from a selection of dishes for a total of three courses. Not everyone has to have the same number of courses or the same food, nor do you have to confine yourself to just one entree if you simply cannot choose!