Idea what to give my cabin attendant

From time to time the boards have discussed what you could give your cabin attendant in addition to the tip. Without re-listing everyones suggestions, I have something that I have thought about for a long time.

I have some VHS movie tapes that I don't use any more. I use DVD's.

Do you think the cabin attendant would have access to a VHS player on the ship and would enjoy some VHS movies? I thought this would be something all of the attendants could share if they wanted to. Or do think this wouldn't work because of the language barrier?

What do you think?

When we went on a Windjammer Barefoot cruise the WJ boards said to take VHS tapes for the crew as they LOVED them. There were even lists for each ship of who already had what. But the key here was knowing that the crews quarters had VHS machines as opposed to DVD players. So unless you can be certain of which machines they have giving a VHS to crew would be a waste if they all have DVD players.:cool:

But the WJ crews did LOVE the tapes we took and truly appreciated the thought behind them.

From time to time the boards have discussed what you could give your cabin attendant in addition to the tip. Without re-listing everyones suggestions, I have something that I have thought about for a long time.

Do you think the cabin attendant would have access to a VHS player on the ship and would enjoy some VHS movies? I thought this would be something all of the attendants could share if they wanted to. Or do think this wouldn't work because of the language barrier?

What do you think?

Crew members live and die by WalMart. Give a gift card. (and this is from someone who HATES WalMart and NEVER shops there. But the crew shop them whenever they have a chance to get off in an American port, i.e., port of embarkation)

GREAT IDEA! I know there is a huge Sam's Club by Puerto Vallarta port and I'm sure many others. And they have a great selection of DVD's and SNACKS! Guess I should get a $20.00 card for my steward and if they don't earn it I can use it when I get home.....beats lugging all those videos in my luggage.....hmmm.....ok....now I think I need to get 4 $10.00 cards and spread them out:cool:

Sam's Club requires a memebership, which I doubt the crew members would bother with.

A Walgreens gift card is one I thought of for ships that dock in San Juan.

I've heard international calling cards are a hit.

I've given small gifts each day, bundled to be pretty. I think it's more about being treated with respect, and someone taking the time to do something nice for the crew is more respect than they usually get.

Best wishes!

Please do not respond by giving other ideas. I have already ready ideas from other threads. All I am interested in is if cabin attendants could use or enjoy VHS movie tapes in addition to the tip. Thank you very much.

Though I guess if you want to post ideas it would help other people that haven't read the old posts.

Thanks again.

Give them cash, they have very little storage space onboard and, while giving gifts is nice, if everyone gave gifts there is no way they could store them and no way they could afford to take them home when their 6 month contract is up. Cash is King.

One thing about VHS tapes is that the US TV system may be different from what the crew member has at home. If he/she were to take the tape back home for their family to view, it might not work.

It is a creative idea, and a nice way to show the crew that you were thinking about them even before you left for your cruise--it's just that technology was even more regionalized when TV systems first developed. Of course, it looks as though the "format wars" that gave us NTSC/PAL/SECAM and VHS/BetaMax problems, will happen again with HD/Blu-Ray!!

Have a great cruise, and I'm sure your crew members will be able to tell that you are a caring and thoughtful person.

Along this line, I have read that it helps to give the cabin attendent alittle something on the first day, to ensure good service. How much would you suggest?

If I have a specific request (use of robes, extra ice bucket, clean out fridge etc.) I'll give something up front-$20.00. It really isn't necessary though.

From time to time the boards have discussed what you could give your cabin attendant in addition to the tip.

On my last cruise, I asked my cabin attendant this very question. His reply was; when he and the other crew members are paid, they are paid by the cruise line in the currency of their country. According to him, the best gift (speaking for him only) was a little extra in US cash. He told me the all mighty American dollar went a long way in either Mexico or his home land of Trinidad.

Why can't it just be money? They can really use that. Who knows if a movie is something they will be interested in? I know I have specific tastes, most people do. Money is perfect and they can send it home. Many of them work so hard to put their kids in better schools or feed their families, offer them a lifestyle that they had not dreamed of growing up. That 15 bucks you spend on a movie or a gift card might buy clothing for their child. Just offer a little extra and your sincere thanks, a comment card where you name them. That's all they really want and really need.

I would not go to a party with money for the hostess but this is really a different situation.

On our last cruise we gave an additional $20 at the beginning of the cruise and everyday I would leave him a snack package of oreos . He was thrilled. He really appreciated them and we got wonderful service. We bought one of those boxes of the oreo snack packages(think there are 20 - 30 in a box) at Sam's Club and it was great we had some snacks to take with us on excursions. On our excursion in Jamaica we handed them to some children we ran into and they loved it. So it worked out well all around.

Why can't it just be money? They can really use that. Who knows if a movie is something they will be interested in? I know I have specific tastes, most people do. Money is perfect and they can send it home. Many of them work so hard to put their kids in better schools or feed their families, offer them a lifestyle that they had not dreamed of growing up. That 15 bucks you spend on a movie or a gift card might buy clothing for their child. Just offer a little extra and your sincere thanks, a comment card where you name them. That's all they really want and really need.

I would not go to a party with money for the hostess but this is really a different situation.

I agree. I don't go to work everyday in hopes that someone will give me a fruit basket or a calling card -- I go to work everyday so I can earn a paycheck, which I will use to buy whatever I please.

Gifts are for friends, not people providing a service. If you absolutely feel the need to give something, I'd vote for a very small edible: chocolate bars or something similar. A little snack fits into anyone's lifestyle (or at least they can regift it to a coworker); the other things are a guess.

Along this line, I have read that it helps to give the cabin attendent alittle something on the first day, to ensure good service. How much would you suggest?

I give cash. $10 the first time a met the steward and an extra $20 in the envelope with the tip voucher.

THat's what they want, C-A-$-H

I second that! Cash is what they need and want--they share space (and very little space) with the other attendants--there is NO room for trinkets and doo-dads! (I have a close friend who works the cruise ships. He basically lives in a closet sized room). Just give them their tips, and be generous!

What do you think?

Your thought is good, but it would be better to give the VHS tapes to a charity, which is an excellent write off, and give the crew attendants cash or a calling card. Both of those items they understand and are easy to use.

Rick

We just got back from the Mariner on Sunday and we gave our attendant $20 when we met her Sunday afternoon.

We saw her a total of 3 times the entire cruise including when we met her and one night that we were in the room when she wanted to clean so she handed our stuff to me at the door. Once we tried calling her to ask a question and she nor the other attendant ever answered.

So I think it is luck of the draw.

I just had this horrible mental image of busting my hind end on a book and getting it published (drool, joy) and then the publisher sending me a fruit basket as partial payment! Gack! Or worse, old VHS tapes of movies I hate!

I would be afraid to risk insulting people with the choice of movie. With so many differing moral and religious believes a movie with certain subject matters, language and nudity could be offensive and not a good gift.

I found a great addition to a great tip is something fairly simple. Crew members are fed well but they don't get the choices we do. I've always asked the cabin stewart if there was anything I could bring back from shore or get for them for lunch or dinner. Last year on DCL we were in the Roy suite which has a dining table. Every afternoon I would run up to the deck and get ahamburger (or whatever she wished to have that day) and fruit, etc. We would clear out when she can in to do the room and she could sit down and take a bit of a break. We always ordered extra Mickey Bars for the room stewart and concierge and since we were able to order from the specialty restaurant ordered a load of all of their desserts for the concierge and customer service.

I've always asked the cabin stewart if there was anything I could bring back from shore or get for them for lunch or dinner. Last year on DCL we were in the Roy suite which has a dining table. Every afternoon I would run up to the deck and get ahamburger (or whatever she wished to have that day) and fruit, etc. We would clear out when she can in to do the room and she could sit down and take a bit of a break. We always ordered extra Mickey Bars for the room stewart and concierge and since we were able to order from the specialty restaurant ordered a load of all of their desserts for the concierge and customer service.

:eek: I think that's going waaaaaaayyyyyyy too far. Just MHO.

Archived