5 in one cabin?

gkrnjlr

There are adjoining cabins where you can keep the door between them open. Would that work for your family? That way you would have 2 bathrooms.

Roz

There are adjoining cabins where you can keep the door between them open. Would that work for your family? That way you would have 2 bathrooms.

Roz

I second that suggestion. We cruised RCCL with our three children back in 2006 I believe it was, and got adjoining staterooms. It worked out great.

We just finished a 7-day with connecting cabins. We loved the flexibility and were able to open the doors, padded with a pillow to keep the bumping sounds down due to the rocking of the ship. The second bathroom was very useful as well. We had Westerdam 5083 & 5085.

Does HAL have any ships that we can put 5 of us in one cabin? My kids are too young to go into their own cabin.

Thank you.

Two options:

1) Connecting staterooms as others have mentioned, or if it's an acceptable alternative, 2 verandah rooms would connect (on most ships) via the verandahs and then you can go back and forth via the doors to the balconies (just leave them unlocked)

2) If you have a chils that is 2 or under at time of cruise and would be sleeping in a crib, the maximum occupancy of the room can be increased by 1. (A triple can hold 4, a quad can hold 5).

Note: If there are 2 kids that are 2 or younger, you CANNOT increase the count by 2

2) If you have a child that is 2 or under at time of cruise and would be sleeping in a crib, the maximum occupancy of the room can be increased by 1. (A triple can hold 4, a quad can hold 5).

DBA--

Have you ever actually been in a cabin that has the sofabed folded out and the upper berth lowered? There simply is no space to put a crib, much less walk or get (un)dressed.

Now if the OP were considering a Deluxe Suite, that would be a different story - and the family would actually have space to put their clothing away as well.

DBA--

Have you ever actually been in a cabin that has the sofabed folded out and the upper berth lowered? There simply is no space to put a crib, much less walk or get (un)dressed.

Now if the OP were considering a Deluxe Suite, that would be a different story - and the family would actually have space to put their clothing away as well.

Just explaining the policy end of things, bepsf. The amount of room it would leave to walk around would be an educated decision made between the guest and their travel agent/family before booking.

Just explaining the policy end of things, bepsf. The amount of room it would leave to walk around would be an educated decision made between the guest and their travel agent/family before booking.

DBA - I understand what you're saying, but most people don't comprehend the true size of staterooms until they actually enter their cabin - people often think they're getting something comparable to a hotel room ashore or the huge studio-sets they saw on Love Boat re-runs.

I realize this may not be a popular response, but in 1988, DW and I took a Carnival Holiday one week Caribbean cruise with a 6 year old, a 11 year old, and my DMIL, age left blank. We had two lowers, two uppers, and a rollaway. Yes, it was cramped, yes the bathroom access was a constant concern, BUT, all agreed that it was one of the most wonderful cruises we ever took. It was what we could afford at the time, and we had a great time!

Your mileage will vary.

Get one of those small floor-bassinets...then you can just slide the baby underneath the bed at night, in lieu of putting a suitcase there :D

Before anyone flames me, remember, it IS April 1st!

I lieu of traveling with a folding bassinett, just line one of your large suitcases, put a blanket on the bottom, unfold the lid, and use that as your "bassinett" to slide under the bed.

(Ok, I think I'm done here..April Fool's Day is almost over!)

Get one of those small floor-bassinets...then you can just slide the baby underneath the bed at night, in lieu of putting a suitcase there :D

Before anyone flames me, remember, it IS April 1st!

That is funny! I just got off a cruise on the Grand Princess and there was just me in the cabin. I had to go out in the hallway to change my mind. I don't know how I could have fit another person in there...never mind 4:D:eek:.

That is funny! I just got off a cruise on the Grand Princess and there was just me in the cabin. I had to go out in the hallway to change my mind. I don't know how I could have fit another person in there...never mind 4:D:eek:.
I had the same experience on Princess. Tiny cabin. So tiny that the twin beds could not be put together because to do so would have left no convenient way to get around the bed.

I cannot imagine putting four people, let alone 5, in such a cabin. But, that said, if a family wishes to travel together, and money demands that the only way to do that is in one cabin, then you do what you have to do to make that work. It is doable. Comfortable? No. Doable? Yes.

I've said it before, but I remember times when I was growing up that we put ten people into a two-bedroom bungalow down the Jersey shore. My brother and his family were on a very tight budget and they didn't have money for family vacations. There is no way my parents were going to take a two-week rental down the shore and then not invite my brother and his wife and five kids down for a week. We just made do. Some of the older kids slept in sleeping bags on the living room floor, the younger ones in the bedroom with their parents. I slept in a sleeping bag on the floor that one week in the bedroom my parents slept in.

We also had one ... count 'em ... one bathroom. We learned to share and to work together, and you know what? Everyone had a great time that week.

So, I do say that five people in a cabin will work. It's just that everyone has to be flexible and realize that the accommodations aren't lux. They'll survive ... and probably have a great time in the process.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I lieu of traveling with a folding bassinett, just line one of your large suitcases, put a blanket on the bottom, unfold the lid, and use that as your "bassinett" to slide under the bed.

(Ok, I think I'm done here..April Fool's Day is almost over!)

LOL ... don't kid yourself. Some people might actually do that! If you think about it, it's a very workable solution ... but not under the bed. :)

Seriously, the only problem with cramming five people into the cabin would be if someone had to get up during the night to use the bathroom. There would be no choice but to turn on a light and then chances are you'd wake everybody else up in the process. But other than that ... once you're in bed, you're sleeping, and you wouldn't be that much inconvenienced that there were four other people sleeping in that room as well.

The only other problem would be bathroom time with five people trying to get cleaned up for dinner and whatnot, but considering three of them are kids, that's doable too. You will just need a bit more lead time to get ready for dinner ... or plan most dinners in the Lido where you really don't have to get cleaned up much.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Or put the bassinet in the tub. ;)

I had the same experience on Princess. Tiny cabin. So tiny that the twin beds could not be put together because to do so would have left no convenient way to get around the bed.

I cannot imagine putting four people, let alone 5, in such a cabin. But, that said, if a family wishes to travel together, and money demands that the only way to do that is in one cabin, then you do what you have to do to make that work. It is doable. Comfortable? No. Doable? Yes.

I've said it before, but I remember times when I was growing up that we put ten people into a two-bedroom bungalow down the Jersey shore. My brother and his family were on a very tight budget and they didn't have money for family vacations. There is no way my parents were going to take a two-week rental down the shore and then not invite my brother and his wife and five kids down for a week. We just made do. Some of the older kids slept in sleeping bags on the living room floor, the younger ones in the bedroom with their parents. I slept in a sleeping bag on the floor that one week in the bedroom my parents slept in.

We also had one ... count 'em ... one bathroom. We learned to share and to work together, and you know what? Everyone had a great time that week.

So, I do say that five people in a cabin will work. It's just that everyone has to be flexible and realize that the accommodations aren't lux. They'll survive ... and probably have a great time in the process.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Seriously...HAL cabins are bigger then Princess but I still can't see having 5 people in a room. The kids would have to be really small and no one better bring more then a couple of outfits. I know cramped too. I grew up in a poor family that didn't have 2 nickles to rub togetner so we had lots of "budget" holidays. Going on a cruise would never have been an option. I'm making up for lost time now:D.

I have traveled with my family of five in one cabin: once on NCL and once on Carnival. Two adults and three kids. On NCL we had one double, one pullman and a double sleep sofa. On Carnival one double, one double sleep sofa and a rollaway. The NCL setup was better because there was more floor space. The kids took turns on the pullman, they all wanted to sleep on it. It was squashed, but with all the clothes put away and the suitcases stowed under the beds it worked out fine, we had the peace of mind to know exactly where the kids were, and the price for the 3rd, 4th and 5th passenger was extremely low. We got a verandah cabin so we could escape to the balcony for some extra space. Both times it worked out much cheaper than two verandah cabins, and I do enjoy just sitting on the balcony and looking at the water. I could wake up in the morning and sit on the balcony drinking coffee while everyone else slept.

I think it depends on what you are used to, and for us just the chance to be at sea made up for cramped conditions. All the kids are boys too and so their time in the bathroom is very short!

I know you asked about HAL ships, and this is the HAL board, but have you considered Celebrity?

They have family cabins on their ships that are made to accommodate 5 people.

I would think it's worth checking into.:)

I know that the Presidential Suite on Oosterdam has enough room for five :)

There is no such thing as a Presidential Suite on any HAL ship...

...and even the Penthouses only have beds for 4.

(tho of course in 1200 sq ft, there's room for dozens of rollaway cribs - including a couple in the walk-in-closet and butler's pantry)

Archived