Barcelona for a First timer...

josephml1

Hello everyone I need your help, I need some advice about what to do, where to go, most do, don´t miss, where to go, where to eat, etc.... in Barcelona.

Is going to be my first time there...I will be there for 3 nights.

Thank You all.:);):)

Hello everyone I need your help, I need some advice about what to do, where to go, most do, don´t miss, where to go, where to eat, etc.... in Barcelona.

Don't miss Las Ramblas and the Boqueria Market on the left side as you walk from the Colum Monument, the Gotic (Gothic) area and cathedral, or the Gaudi works (Sagrada Familia, Parc Guell, etc.)

Here is a great web site that lists the "must sees" and gives lots of other advice: http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/activities/things-to-do-barcelona.html

Hello!!

I'm from Barcelona, so I think I can help you.

There are interesting and beautiful things in ll around the city.

But what you can't miss is:

- Monuments foms Gaudí, such:

- Sagrada Família (the most important monument)

- Casa Batlló

- Pedrera or Casa Milà (it's the same with 2 different names)

- Parc Güell

Parcs:

- Parc Güell (I've just said it)

- Parc de la Ciutadella

- Colon (it's nxt to the port)

- Squares:

- Plaça Catalunya (very known for having a lot of pigneons)

- Plaça Espanya (if you can, you gotta on on Saturday at 9:00 pm (I think) because the fountain has music, colors and it goes up and down, and it's really beautiful)

- Ramblas (this street starts at Colon monument)

- Poble espanyol (going up from Plaça Espanya)

At this momet I don't remember anything else that you shouldn't miss if you go only 3 days; and it's more, if you don't go runnig, you won't have time enough to see it all.

I hope to have helped you.

And if you have any question, ask me.

Hello!!

I'm from Barcelona, so I think I can help you.

Yes, you are absolute helpful, I am taking notes and printing your advice..

I will check all the info with calm and come back with a few more questions...

Thank You Very Much for taking the time to post in this thread...

:):)

The 4**** and 5***** hotel are usually very good here.

I have never been in a hotel in Barcelona, so I don't know which ones will be better...

In Castelldefels, a village near Barcelona, there are a lot of tapas restaurants, in Barcelona there are also some. In all around Barcelona youy can find every kind of restaurant. I don't drink, so I don't know where you can drink good wine..., but in almost every restaurant there's wine.

The best way to move in Barcelona is taxi or bus, it's better that subway, because it doesn't arrive to every side of the city.

Squares:

- Plaça Espanya (if you can, you gotta on on Saturday at 9:00 pm (I think) because the fountain has music, colors and it goes up and down, and it's really beautiful)

Thanks for the info - I was under the impression that the fountains put on their show on Thursdays and Fridays as well. Is that so? Our ship leaves at 7:00 p.m. on Saturday, so that's out, but I had planned to do this Friday evening...we will be there from Sept. 17-19. Thanks.

Thanks for the info - I was under the impression that the fountains put on their show on Thursdays and Fridays as well. Is that so? Our ship leaves at 7:00 p.m. on Saturday, so that's out, but I had planned to do this Friday evening...we will be there from Sept. 17-19. Thanks.

In September, the shows are on Thursday-Sunday and are every half hour with the first show at 9pm and the last at 11pm.

Do yourself a favor and plan on seeing two shows in a row. After one show ends, you will probably get a chance to move closer for a better view as other people leave. :) The show definitely looks different from standing farther away (getting the whole picture) and standing closer (better view of the fountain you are closest to).

For reference for other cruisers...in winter (October-April), the show is offered less often...only Fridays & Saturdays at 7pm, 7:30, 8, and 8:30.

By September 17, any show should be fine - but for other future cruisers, make sure you pick a show that is after dark (for example, in July the 9pm show can be before sunset so wait for a 10pm show). The fountains are pretty in daylight, but the show is more fantastic after dark when the fountains are lit and colored.

BQKALI is right. The time-table I looked is from 3 or 4 years ago. In these times it was so. Be chareful with pick-pockets near the fountain, and more if it's dark. Like bqkali said, it's more beautiful when it's night, but also more dangerous, if you don't wanna be "pick-pocketed".

Here there are some beautiful pictures of the fountain (clik on)

While we were in Barcelona we happened to stay at Hotel Fira Palace and it was fabulous as well as economical. It is within a 4-5 min walk of the fountains. I received an email from them just this morning advertising a special for a room w/breakfast buffet. For comparative value - we paid 98 EU with no breakfast.

The hotel is VERY nice and upscale but best of all the rooms are H U G E - something you rarely get in Europe. Our room was bigger than an average US Hotel room. We had a king bed with lots of room to walk around it, then a couch and coffee table area, then closer to the window a desk and chair - simply huge! And it was clean and very nicely furnished. Warning: the bed was hard, but I hear that is to be expected everywhere.

The breakfast was to die for! Everything we had was fantastic and they will cook an omlett upon request. We paid 17 EU per person for the breakfast and that seemed high, but since there really is no where around quick to eat breakfast we felt it was a fair price - especially since the food was SO good.

I would highly recommend this place and WILL be staying there again if we ever return to Barcelona.

Hotel Fira Palace Barcelona

Av. Rius i Taulet, 1-3 08004 Barcelona (España)

Tel. +34 934 262 223

Trying to see Las Sagrada (first), Pedrera, Barri Gothic (Cathedral and City Museum) Walk down Ramblas. Is this too much to try for? Right now we have a highlight tour from Ruby Princess. Is it possible to catch a cab to La Sagrada then use cabs to get around with mimimal walking? What about using Metro will that help. How easy to use it? Is there something else we should substitute for the above. I would also hope to catch ship shuttle back from Colombus Monument or take cab back.

This is a great thread:)and now I don't need to start another one;)

I am starting to research my very first cruise to the MED for Sept

I have done (thankfully) quite a bit of cruising over the last 6 years

but have yet to cross the pond.

It will only be for 7 nights but its what I am able to do~

Barcelona to Barcelona with stops in Nice, Florence, Genoa, Naples,

Capri and Rome.

I am in the process of trying to find out lots of information and it looks

like I am in the right place:D

I have not booked anything yet (airfare, hotels, or cruise) LOL

Will be doing that very soon but wanted to see what everyone

thinks about hotels...I will be arriving in Barcelona 1 or 2 days

early for sure.

I have never been to any of the places on my itinerary before

so this is quite exciting:)

Any help would be greatly appreciated...Oh, I sail solo and my sis

and BIL have been many times. She recommended the HOHO bus

for me to see some of the sights. Is that a thumbs up for most

of you too?

I am quite independent and also have some common sense LOL...

I would prefer to stay somewhere without breaking my budget and

not too far from the port either.

I keep reading about 1898....is it quite pricey there?

Other hotels, B&B's, pensions???

Thank for any help!

We were in Barcelona just recently for the first time for 3 days pre-cruise. We used Frommer's Barcelona Day by Day guide which was terific. It has good maps of the city and metro system as well as neighborhood walks. it lists the times that the major sites are open and the estinated time it takes to tour each. It also includes restaurants by neighborhood, shopping, night life and all essential information on the city. I highly recommend that you check it out.

While we were in Barcelona we happened to stay at Hotel Fira Palace and it was fabulous as well as economical. It is within a 4-5 min walk of the fountains. I received an email from them just this morning advertising a special for a room w/breakfast buffet. For comparative value - we paid 98 EU with no breakfast.

The hotel is VERY nice and upscale but best of all the rooms are H U G E - something you rarely get in Europe. Our room was bigger than an average US Hotel room. We had a king bed with lots of room to walk around it, then a couch and coffee table area, then closer to the window a desk and chair - simply huge! And it was clean and very nicely furnished. Warning: the bed was hard, but I hear that is to be expected everywhere.

The breakfast was to die for! Everything we had was fantastic and they will cook an omlett upon request. We paid 17 EU per person for the breakfast and that seemed high, but since there really is no where around quick to eat breakfast we felt it was a fair price - especially since the food was SO good.

I would highly recommend this place and WILL be staying there again if we ever return to Barcelona.

Hotel Fira Palace Barcelona

Av. Rius i Taulet, 1-3 08004 Barcelona (España)

Tel. +34 934 262 223

rhoeffner,

Did they send you a link to get the special? I checked their website & didn't find the special. I saw the rate of 118E without breakfast.

Thanks!

We will be staying at the Eurostars Ramblas Boqueria on Rambla de Sant Joseph 91-93 prior to our cruise trip. Does anyone know how dangerous the area is?

Does anyone know about the restaurants or cafes in that area?

How close is it to the ships? Do we need a taxi?

Thanks in advance.

SF

I am staying at Hotel 1898, I read about it here and it sounds great and easy to get to. I can let you know when I get back...I leave on the Summit 11/28. You will LOVE the med.!! You will be hooked after the 1st time!

This is a great thread:)and now I don't need to start another one;)

I am starting to research my very first cruise to the MED for Sept

I have done (thankfully) quite a bit of cruising over the last 6 years

but have yet to cross the pond.

It will only be for 7 nights but its what I am able to do~

Barcelona to Barcelona with stops in Nice, Florence, Genoa, Naples,

Capri and Rome.

I am in the process of trying to find out lots of information and it looks

like I am in the right place:D

I have not booked anything yet (airfare, hotels, or cruise) LOL

Will be doing that very soon but wanted to see what everyone

thinks about hotels...I will be arriving in Barcelona 1 or 2 days

early for sure.

I have never been to any of the places on my itinerary before

so this is quite exciting:)

Any help would be greatly appreciated...Oh, I sail solo and my sis

and BIL have been many times. She recommended the HOHO bus

for me to see some of the sights. Is that a thumbs up for most

of you too?

I am quite independent and also have some common sense LOL...

I would prefer to stay somewhere without breaking my budget and

not too far from the port either.

I keep reading about 1898....is it quite pricey there?

Other hotels, B&B's, pensions???

Thank for any help!

I am staying at Hotel 1898, I read about it here and it sounds great and easy to get to. I can let you know when I get back...I leave on the Summit 11/28. You will LOVE the med.!! You will be hooked after the 1st time!

Hi cjcruiser:) I see you are going in November:)

You are sailing solo too? I would LOVE to know all about

your trip!

What airline are you using and where is home? I sail from

Barcelona and have been looking at the best way to get there:eek:

We will be staying at the Eurostars Ramblas Boqueria on Rambla de Sant Joseph 91-93 prior to our cruise trip. Does anyone know how dangerous the area is?

Does anyone know about the restaurants or cafes in that area?

How close is it to the ships? Do we need a taxi?

Thanks in advance.

SF

Dangerous? This is the main tourist area. I think you will find it very noisy. It is right on Las Ramblas, next to the open market.

You may want to read the reviews on tripadvisor.com as they will answer most of your questions:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187497-d1201345-Reviews-Eurostars_Ramblas_Boqueria-Barcelona_Catalonia.html

I would recommend a cab to get to the port, even though it's not too far.

I leave from Boston and did my own air after checking..you can always take cruise air and then drop it but you probably know that. The direct flights were way EXPENSIVE when I looked! i booked air back in July and am flying thru Dublin then to Barcelona, flying 1 day early...would hate to be late for the departing ship! After checking here for hotels and researching, I decided on Hotel 1898 and booked early for the least exp. room. it is easy to get to from the airport and not far from the port but you can probably find something for less. This board is used alot and you do get alot of helpful responses. Going in Sept. it may be more $$$.What ship are you going on? I am flying 1 way to Barcelona becuz of the TA.quote=Lois R;21336177]Hi cjcruiser:) I see you are going in November:)

You are sailing solo too? I would LOVE to know all about

your trip!

What airline are you using and where is home? I sail from

Barcelona and have been looking at the best way to get there:eek:

I did my research and wound up booking Hotel Jazz in Ramlas for two nights post cruise next summer. Hotel is well reviewed and very centrally located. I am counting on reviewers from Trip Advisor and here at CC for being right. Current rate is less than $150 per night. We will hit Picasso Museum and explore the Gothic Quarter and other things listed here. Also looking forward to some Tapas places and bars at night.

Booked my flight back on travelocity Aer Lingus $593 (including all taxes and fees) to Boston. It stops in Dublin.

I did my research and wound up booking Hotel Jazz in Ramlas for two nights post cruise next summer. Hotel is well reviewed and very centrally located. I am counting on reviewers from Trip Advisor and here at CC for being right. Current rate is less than $150 per night. We will hit Picasso Museum and explore the Gothic Quarter and other things listed here. Also looking forward to some Tapas places and bars at night.

Booked my flight back on travelocity Aer Lingus $593 (including all taxes and fees) to Boston. It stops in Dublin.

Just my opinion, but I did not consider the Picasso Museum worth the admission or wait in line; very disappointing. There really is very little there and mostly minor early works.

Archived