Cruise Critic Community
Look2Sea

Anyone close to retirement? / when do you start counting the days?

It's painful to see people trying to reinvent the wheel, and they come up with something they think is new, and you remember when it didn't work the first time!

:'):'):')

So-o-o true!! The powers to be keep coming up with more programs, more required courses, and more charting for us to do.....to the point that only about 50% of the day is left to do direct patient care!

:'):'):')

So-o-o true!! The powers to be keep coming up with more programs, more required courses, and more charting for us to do.....to the point that only about 50% of the day is left to do direct patient care!

I thought it was only in the UK that this was happening. It's the main reason I retired three years ago (and how that time has flown) Present day nursing is not what I signed up for all those years ago

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Forums mobile app

We have so many things that have to be audited, to the point that they are auditing what we throw away and into which trash receptacle! They audit how quickly we administer a medication ( most of the time the pharmacy hasn't even sent it up) how quickly we document assessments ( I've managed my work flow for 40+ years thank you very much) and if we smile and say hello if we meet someone coming within 10 feet of us! 222 weeks for me!
Oh my gosh, Misty. I am a hand therapist at an orthopedic hospital. We are continually be monitored also. Did I make eye contact and say hello at 10 feet away? Treatment is no longer about patient care. It is all about productivity. If I have a patient cancel the day of their appt or not show for their appt, I am encouraged to stay late to get my productivity #'s up. We are 5 years from retirement. I hope I can make it until then

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Forums mobile app

Oh my gosh, Misty. I am a hand therapist at an orthopedic hospital. We are continually be monitored also. Did I make eye contact and say hello at 10 feet away? Treatment is no longer about patient care. It is all about productivity. If I have a patient cancel the day of their appt or not show for their appt, I am encouraged to stay late to get my productivity #'s up. We are 5 years from retirement. I hope I can make it until then.

About 10 yrs ago, the hospital I worked for started an experiment (luckily not on my unit) where they made all the nurses and aides wear "monitors" that tracked their every move all day and showed how long they were in each place....including the bathroom!!!!! This didn't last long because there was a major rebellion and many, many people quit. But some numbskull thought that would be a good way to track productivity. Whatever......:mad:

So the title to this thread is when do you start counting the days to retirement. For me it is Jul 10. so about 89 days left to work full time

So the title to this thread is when do you start counting the days to retirement. For me it is Jul 10. so about 89 days left to work full time

So you started counting the days today :) When did I start counting the days? When I met with my financial planner and decided when it would be most feasible and when my work life became more frustrating.

I started counting when I chose the retirement date. Started at more than 400 days and now down to 80!:D

I would have found it hard to be counting the days for as long as some people have. I didn't feel much interest in retiring for most of my career as I was enjoying it very much. Then around mid-2016, something switched in me and I started to find that the tiresome aspects of my job were out-weighing the parts I enjoyed. There was a corporate change that may have influenced that, but I think more of it was internal - a shift in my attitude after more than 40 years of working.

I started to think about retiring but it was hard to decide on timing. I was torn between retiring mid-2017 when I would become eligible for Medicare or staying until March 2018 to get my end of year bonus and deferred compensation vesting which happens in March. It seemed simpler to at least work until I could go directly on Medicare rather than to get some other medical coverage for a few months before switching to Medicare. We booked an Alaska cruise with another couple and for a time I leaned toward retiring just before that. In the end, I decided to stick it out to get the bonus and vesting. I retired two days ago.

So since last August, I've been counting the months to go. I didn't set the exact date until a few months ago so didn't start counting the days until then.

Now I've got a few weeks to get ready to go on a 27-day cruise.

The 24th of February or last month, it has been a year since I have retired. At times I say I want to find a part time job, and still do, but my husband had surgery around Christmas time and then came home, so I became his nurse too. Other things have been going on to keep me busy, and I just got back from doing the Carnival Magic, coming back on the 7th of this month. It was something else to come back to KC (Gladstone) with 22 degree temperatures, and quite a bit of snow the next day, after having those warm/hot temperatures the week before.:)

Let me clarify my comment above. I decided to retire this July; but only made my decision in Jan; and I have not officially notified my HR department. I told my boss but am waiting until next month to make the official notification to HR.

I could retire now, at age 57, but waiting until the date I can leave and take my health insurance with me - next year 8/31/2019. I don't know how many days that is, 450? but I know it will come up fast as I have a lot of things to accomplish between now and then, to get ready. Sold my home a couple of years ago, in a rental with a lease that I am not renewing this summer, moving into an extended stay hotel in October after some travel, so I can enjoy these last months free of responsibilities.

Between now and my retirement date, I have about 400 hours of annual leave to take...so my semi-retirement begins soon - as soon as I am packed out and my things are in storage...yeah! some mini-vacations planned for between now and then.

My 33+ year career has been a niche field in the business world. I was never in love with the work, but it was very well suited to my personality, so I stuck with it, but now I am so done.

I think like many here have stated - after awhile, you've seen it all and done it all and pretty much know it all...so it becomes harder and harder to suffer fools. I have to deal with people much less experienced and I am tired of teaching & training...

I also have seen my career field change. When I started, I was hired to think, to problem solve, to produce. I was treated like a professional. Over the years, as computer and technology usage increases, in our field, we have become slaves to the technology - constant email reminders from "the system" of some data or tracking that needs to be entered....and of course, the admin staff was all done away with years ago. So, here I sit, a senior level person, in charge of big things, but spending time and getting paid to do petty things that rot my brain...most of the time.

I am done.

Let them have their bells and whistles and monitoring that robs us of our humanity.

I'll be raising a glass in my own honor.

Whew, that was a long one lol.

I don't know how many days that is, 450? but I know it will come up fast as I have a lot of things to accomplish between now and then, to get ready.

Sounds like you have a great plan, and having 400 hours of leave to use between now and then will help the time to pass even quicker! Tough to be almost, but not quite, there! I have chosen a date which works for a variety of reasons, and just have to keep going through to the end.

I've only 31 workdays to go. 31!!!!

Nice, and since I'm posting 11 days after you, doing the math says you're 20 days out. How marvelous that must feel. Enjoy!

I'm still counting months. Will take another marble out of the jar tomorrow morning, just 7 more to go before I walk out of the office to use up vacation hours. I've got two cruises booked, one in December (10 days W Caribbean out of NOLA) and one in January (12 days S. Caribbean out of Bayonne). Then I get to come home, officially retire, and start readying my house for sale.

I will be 65 1/2 yrs old. Originally planned to leave at 66 yrs old but after deciding to do a world cruise next January, I decided to leave a little earlier.

Am having a struggle going to work each day.....have "senioritis." Just 8 1/2 months left!! :D

I shouldn't have started counting...... I have 46 months and 1 day.......... I have been seeing the 48 day cruise on Holland American out of Fort Lauderdale on Facebook at least once a week and that is the first thing I am going to do when I retire..... Can I book a cruise for Feb 2022 yet? lol

I retired June 2017. I lasted retired for two months and knew it was not for me. I was lucky and got a part time job I love and I can make my own schedule. I can even take a few months off it I feel like I need to take a break from the world of work.

I was a fulltime homemaker, enjoying raising my 4 daughters, when I got divorced after being married for 16 yrs. Went to college, then started my career at 37 yrs old....I've wanted to retire since the first day on the job! :') My dream comes true in just 8 months. :D

I've only 31 workdays to go. 31!!!!

That's awesome. Congrats to you:)

July 11th for retirement. 66 1/2. Looking forward to change:)

July 11th for retirement. 66 1/2. Looking forward to change:)

Best wishes!! A new chapter is about to begin....enjoy it to the fullest! :cool:

Best wishes!! A new chapter is about to begin....enjoy it to the fullest! :cool:

Thanks, I am looking forward the the big change.

Each day I wake up and ask Alexa how many days are left until my planned retirement date. It is fun to hear the answer as it decreases. :)

That made me smile :D. I'm going to give that a try! I haven't informed my employer yet but I work in school and have booked a cruise in term time for March 2019 so I guess that's my time! I'm 55. 3 weeks UAE, India and Singapore - can't wait.

I'm off to talk to Alexa now !

PS The answer was 291 days !!