Just back from Med Cruise

tjljsc

We had a fabulous time on our trip, but came across a few things that might help out others who are still in the planning stages. We flew into Rome and then sailed on to Livorno/Florence, Villefranche/Nice, Barcelona and Malaga.

1. Our hotel in Rome was fantastic and we highly recommend it. I'm a bit of a hotel snob, so I spent months searching out a good deal that met my expectations. We stayed at Hotel Apollo, which was just a few blocks from the Colosseum, clean, had some character, decently sized rooms and large bathrooms. We stayed 1 night in October and paid 151 euro. Super deal for Rome!

2. Be prepared to speak some Italian in the train station, if using public transport. We found people extremely unhelpful in Termini and even people who worked there either didn't speak english or weren't willing to help in English. It was a bit stressful finding the right platform, etc., and would have been easier if we knew how to ask the question in Italian (and knew numbers in Italian so we could understand the answer!).

3. Florence didn't feel very easy to get around when you're DIY. Taxis were prevalent, but a bit expensive, IMO. If we ever go back, I'm probably going to do a tour or private guide. This is the one port where we felt we missed out by not going that route.

4. It takes FOREVER to get your luggage in FCO. I think we waited nearly and hour for our bags to come out, so be prepared for extra travel time if you fly into Rome. Hopefully, our flight was a fluke, but you never know.

5. A taxi from FCO to Rome Central (anywhere in Rome Central) is 40 euros. DO NOT listen to the "taxi drivers" inside the airport. We were told it was 60 euros for a taxi and were then talked into a shuttle for the 40 euro price. Once they had us loaded into the van (and our luggage locked up), we saw the real taxi line and the 40 euro price. The shuttle services are all set up in the airport and have stations that look like basic airport information kiosks, but they're not. Head straight outside and you can't miss the taxi line. Lesson learned for us.

I think that was it, but if anyone has any questions, I'm happy to answer.

Thank you for your very helpful tips. I just have a couple of questions:

Did you use the ticket machines to buy your train tickets? Were the platform numbers in numbers from 1 - 10 or were they higher two digit numbers?

Did you have any problems with atm machines, debit/charge cards?

2. Be prepared to speak some Italian in the train station, if using public transport. We found people extremely unhelpful in Termini and even people who worked there either didn't speak english or weren't willing to help in English. It was a bit stressful finding the right platform, etc., and would have been easier if we knew how to ask the question in Italian (and knew numbers in Italian so we could understand the answer!).

Thank you for your helpful notes, and being willing to share your experiences, good and bad.

However, it seems somewhat unfair to describe ticket sellers as unhelpful for not speaking English. Rome is visited by tourists from all over the world - how many languages should we expect a ticket seller to speak?

Lisa

3. Florence didn't feel very easy to get around when you're DIY. Taxis were prevalent, but a bit expensive, IMO. If we ever go back, I'm probably going to do a tour or private guide. This is the one port where we felt we missed out by not going that route.

We have been to Florence a couple of time and found it one of the easiest cities to DYI. All of the major tourist sites are in close proximity and you can walk to just about everything. Of course we did a lot of a research and pre-reserved tickets to many of the venues and came armed with good maps and guide books.

A taxi from FCO to Rome Central (anywhere in Rome Central) is 40 euros. DO NOT listen to the "taxi drivers" inside the airport. We were told it was 60 euros for a taxi and were then talked into a shuttle for the 40 euro price. Once they had us loaded into the van (and our luggage locked up), we saw the real taxi line and the 40 euro price. The shuttle services are all set up in the airport and have stations that look like basic airport information kiosks, but they're not. Head straight outside and you can't miss the taxi line. Lesson learned for us.

The 40 Euro taxi rate from the airport to central Rome is set by law.

Be prepared to speak some Italian in the train station, if using public transport. We found people extremely unhelpful in Termini and even people who worked there either didn't speak english or weren't willing to help in English. It was a bit stressful finding the right platform, etc., and would have been easier if we knew how to ask the question in Italian (and knew numbers in Italian so we could understand the answer!).

This is why we used the ticket machines and found them very easy to use! We took the express train from FCO to Termini and the regional train fromTermini to Civi. Both times there was no line for the machines and we used the English option with no problems.

This is the only port we did a private excursion with our CC group and it was well worth it. The drive thru the Tuscan country side alone was priceless but the hilltop view of the city that they take you to is great!

Thank you for your very helpful tips. I just have a couple of questions:

Did you use the ticket machines to buy your train tickets? Were the platform numbers in numbers from 1 - 10 or were they higher two digit numbers?

Did you have any problems with atm machines, debit/charge cards?

We did use the ticket machines. Tricky part was there there were two options for Civ. Sadly, I don't recall which one was the correct one, but there were (what I assume to be poor) Italians that were willing to help you get the right ticket for 1 euro. Platforms go up to 20-something. I think we were at platform 21 to Civ.

No problems at all with ATM/Debit machines. We set up a separate account for the trip so we didn't have to worry about our main account in case our card got lost/stolen (which, sadly, it did on the last day of our cruise - not sure if we lost it or someone took it). We found that PNC had a deal where they reimburse ATM fees, even abroad. Saved us nearly $20 in fees. They're steep in Europe.

Thank you for your helpful notes, and being willing to share your experiences, good and bad.

However, it seems somewhat unfair to describe ticket sellers as unhelpful for not speaking English. Rome is visited by tourists from all over the world - how many languages should we expect a ticket seller to speak?

Lisa

First of all, I wasn't describing ticket sellers... I was referring to workers, throughout the building and in shops who seemed bothered by even being asked a questions, said they spoke English and then gave a curt "I don't know" and walked away.

Had the lines been shorter, we would have gone to the ticket counter, where they did speak English well, but we were rushing to make a train. Thus, my suggestion to know some Italian so that others who use the auto machines don't run into the same problems.

We have been to Florence a couple of time and found it one of the easiest cities to DYI. All of the major tourist sites are in close proximity and you can walk to just about everything. Of course we did a lot of a research and pre-reserved tickets to many of the venues and came armed with good maps and guide books.

I think being there on a Monday was our downfall. All the major museums were closed. :(

The 40 Euro taxi rate from the airport to central Rome is set by law.

I knew that before, but it's tricky when you're inside the airport. The 60 euro price is for a "private car" not a taxi, but they say taxi to you. You have to actually LEAVE the airport before you see the taxi line. It was late, so I think fatigue was a factor in the confusion for us and I didn't realize the inside people weren't actually part of the official taxi line.

Anybody know the definition of "Central Rome" in regards to the taxi fare? For example, is the location of the Rome Hilton within the "Central Area"?

The Rome Hilton is actually attached to the airport, IIRC. You wouldn't need a taxi.

Most hotels will state if they are in Central Rome. Here's a map that's pretty close to what the taxi stand covered.

http://www.romanlife-romeitaly.com/image-files/rome-italy-map-imagemap.jpg

The Rome Hilton is actually attached to the airport, IIRC. You wouldn't need a taxi.

Most hotels will state if they are in Central Rome. Here's a map that's pretty close to what the taxi stand covered.

http://www.romanlife-romeitaly.com/image-files/rome-italy-map-imagemap.jpg

There is more than one Hilton in Rome.....

The Rome Airport Hilton is at the airport. We are staying there the night before we fly home.

The Rome Cavalleri Hilton is on a small hill overlooking the center of Rome. We are staying there for several nights before we get on the ship, and will be joined by family members a day after we arrive. I am asking about the taxi fares for them.

The Rome Airport Hilton is at the airport. We are staying there the night before we fly home.

The Rome Cavalleri Hilton is on a small hill overlooking the center of Rome. We are staying there for several nights before we get on the ship, and will be joined by family members a day after we arrive. I am asking about the taxi fares for them.

See my post #11 above -- Cavalieri is not considered in the central zone. You might ask if the hotel can make an arrangement for them; may be easier than trusting a cab from the airport.

We stayed at the Cavalieri Hilton in 2007. It's a fabulous hotel with a great view, but too far from everything. The hotel provided a free shuttle to the city center with stops at the Spanish Steps and the Via Venito, but it was not a convenient location for reaching the major tourist sites and the shuttle stopped running at 8:00pm. We spent lots of $$ on cab fares just to go out to dinner. We arrived by train and departed from FCO. We took a taxi to the airport. It ran about 60 euros.

Lots of thoughts on this string.... the Hilton Cavalieri is now called the Rome Cavalieri and it is not actually a Hilton anymore... but part of The Waldorf Astoria Collection. (Even the locals will stil call it the Hilton - LOL!) It's located at Via Alberto Cadlolo 101, which is northwest of the city and outside the €40 taxi agreement from the FCO airport. You'll be on the meter if you come here from FCO.... The Rome Cavalieri shuttle stops on Via Angelico, about 8 blocks from the Vatican, on Via Veneto, and aslo at Piazza Barberini, where you can catch Metro Line A or a multitude of buses. It does not go to the Spanish Steps - only the ATAC #117 bus can go into that area. Between 1 PM and 4 PM there is no shuttle service and on Sundays and holidays the schedule is even more restricted - see this link: http://www.romecavalieri.com/shuttleservice.php

A private shuttle might be the best answer if you're headed from FCO to the Rome Cavalieri. This link may help on your arrival at FCO: Arriving at FCO

There are actually 29 platforms at the Termini Station. Numbers 1-24 are located in the main section of the station. Track #25 is further along Track #24... and then tracks 26-29 are part of a satellite track station. If you're leaving from one of these, prepare for a 10-12 minute walk from the main station. The Leonardo Express usually arrives and departs from Track #25. Sometimes tracks, like number 18 for example, are 400-500 meters from the main station... For more info on coming in to Termini by Train, read this: Termini Station – Arriving by Train

As far as kiosks, they are quite easy to use. Be aware and careful of the folks standing around the kiosks. These folks would gladly wait for you to leave and grab any change, credit card, and/or tickets you leave in the machines. They will cash in the tickets - or use your credit card to purchase the most expensive tickets and then cash those in! So just be aware. And yes, if they help you, the do expect to be "reimbursed" for their help... I'm not sure I'd trust my travel plans to these folks... There are multiple stations in towns like Naples and Florence and they're not going to know (or care) where you are headed... You can certainly do the kiosks by yourself.. Here's an link with an example of how to buy a ticket: Buying a Train Ticket

A note concerning Florence. It is a MUST to order tickets to the museums you wish to visit beforehand, online if you are DIY. If you have a private tour, the tourguide will do this for you. But, I concur Florence is very easy DIY, you can walk almost everywhere, everything is close together.

My husband and I have found Florence to be one of the easiest for DIY. Everything of interest is within a short walk. 20 minutes will take you from the Accademia to the Ponte Vecchio, passing the Duomo and Giotto's Tower, Bargello, Ognissanti, Palazzo Vecchio, and Uffizi in between. Getting to Florence from Livorno is a cheap and easy train ride.

Archived