RCCI Charging extra $ for meals in Main Dining Room ?

Ahhh, but I didn't say they would remove the lobster that is now being offered, and indeed they did not with the steak either. You can still get the same inferior cut and grade of steak that you always could. And I suspect that (if this lobster thing IS true) you would still be able to get the 'inferior' lobster they presently serve, but would add a 'true' Maine lobster as an extra charge.

What I meant by a slippery slope was the fact that they have started to charge for items in the main dining room. And if what has been reported about lobster IS true, then they are adding to the list of items you can pay for. Soon it will be your choice to eat inferior stuff for free, or pay for the good stuff.

But again, its still speculation at this point, (except for the steak part of course). Just thinking out loud really.

OK - and my response is still the same - If they decide to offer premium whatevers and charge for them they are not eliminating or charging for their 'inferior' (according to you) menu items.

My real point is that most of the posts complaining about the 14.95 steak contain the 'they're just nickel and diming us again' remarks. That is what I don't get since these are actually additional perks.

If it is a 'test', the simple solution is to convince enough people not to order it. If the refusal to pay this extra charge is widespread, they will have to change their thinking, or convince passengers that the lobster is worth the extra charge. To my way of thinking, the lobster that most lines serve is not worth an extra charge to anyone familiar with the lobster served in most New England restaurants.:)

We would not pay extra for what they serve now however if they did offer a larger, better quality, lobster we would pay extra.

###

OK - and my response is still the same - If they decide to offer premium whatevers and charge for them they are not eliminating or charging for their 'inferior' (according to you) menu items.

My real point is that most of the posts complaining about the 14.95 steak contain the 'they're just nickel and diming us again' remarks. That is what I don't get since these are actually additional perks./QUOTE]

Ok, I understand. You like the fact that they offer 'special' items on the menu for sale along with the 'free' stuff.

Thats fine. Many people just see it as an added option, a bonus if you wish to take advantage of it. Thats ok.

But I don't see it that way. No big deal.

Oh, and you must not have seen the thread earlier about the lobster they serve and peoples opinions of it. Almost everyone agreed that it is not much of a lobster.

People, please do not fall for this. There is no charge for lobster in the MDR. :rolleyes:

You sound exactly like the people when the Chops steak debacle happened. They called the person reporting back a troll, liar, said they weren't paying attention, weren't reading the menu correctly, blah, blah, blah. They all sounded pretty silly after they were shown to be jumping on the cheerleader wagon prematurely......

Not saying its true but be sure you like the taste of your words, just in case!:D

[

Oh, and you must not have seen the thread earlier about the lobster they serve and peoples opinions of it. Almost everyone agreed that it is not much of a lobster.

Actually I did see it and to tell the truth I really am not a fan of lobster whether it is Caribbean or Maine. I like a lot of seafood and eat quite a bit but lobster is not something I ever order.

My real point is that most of the posts complaining about the 14.95 steak contain the 'they're just nickel and diming us again' remarks. That is what I don't get since these are actually additional perks.

I definetly don't see them as additional perks:p I can picture the stateroom attendant holding up the regular bath towel and a huge, Egyptian Cotton bath sheet and saying "you can have the regular, included towel or you can have the other one for an upgrade charge of $5" Then come the pillows......:D

Or go to the show and at the doors they ask 'do you want to see the regular show or the one with real stars for $10"

When the main product becomes dumbed down or inferior then I (jmho) find it insulting to instead of fix the problem with what you have, to offer something adequate or good and then charge for it.... I would rather have the product I'm paying for (food) be up to my standards (not 5 star or even 4 star) - just good - and a choice steak should not command $15 on top of the thousands I've already paid.....

You sound exactly like the people when the Chops steak debacle happened. They called the person reporting back a troll, liar, said they weren't paying attention, weren't reading the menu correctly, blah, blah, blah. They all sounded pretty silly after they were shown to be jumping on the cheerleader wagon prematurely......

Not saying its true but be sure you like the taste of your words, just in case!:D

Actually, when the Chops thing started, it was widely reported around here that RCI was, in general, going to charging for steaks in the MDR. The suggestion was that you would have to pay for any steak. Tempers flared, as usual, because not all the facts were presented and there were a lot of false assumptions. Many people argued the point, saying it was not true. In fact, those who argued it were correct. RCI did not start charging for anything they were already serving in the MDR.

BTW, I think the Prime Rib and Filet of Beef are just as tasty as they have always been. They are 2 of my favorite MDR dishes.

Actually, when the Chops thing started, it was widely reported around here that RCI was, in general, going to charging for steaks in the MDR. The suggestion was that you would have to pay for any steak. Tempers flared, as usual, because not all the facts were presented and there were a lot of false assumptions. Many people argued the point, saying it was not true. In fact, those who argued it were correct. RCI did not start charging for anything they were already serving in the MDR.

Yes, that did happen but I recall the first post I saw it on was a woman giving a review and stating that there was a $14.95 charge for a steak entree in the MDR (since I only stumbled upon it a couple of weeks ago) that the first thing many did was yell troll, say she had ordered a drink, not steak and that was the charge:confused:, didn't read the menu correctly, was outright starting a bogus thread - and that was just about charging for steak in the MDR. And yes, regardless of the name that they slap on it, you cannot with any degree of honesty say that they don't charge for steak in the MDR (perhaps not what they consider the lesser quality steak, but certainly there is a charge for a steak)..... we can at least agree on that, no?:D

Just FYI - I don't eat steak or lobster so I have no emotional stake in this - I'm just looking at an obvious (to me) business plan here.....

Is everyone here having the same conversation? lol The thing I'm taking away from the OP that IS suprising is that you have to pay for lobster and filet! That's ridiculous - honestly, if that is the way cruises are headed, with you having to suddenly pay more for things that were always included I probably won't cruise anymore. It just wouldn't be a great value - I'd rather spend my vacation dollars on a land vacation seeing countries and places I haven't yet that can't be accessed by cruising so much. I just get tired of the nickel and diming, honestly - not so much the little things, but when they start to systematically and quite honestly deliberately introduce fees for things that would normally be included (MDR steak) and wait for us to not put up a fight before they introduce the next thing (lobster and filet) it's just a little slimy for me, personally.

So does this mean you are moving on? Inquiring minds and all. Since that IS the way it is at least where the Chops Filet is concerned.

jc

..... we can at least agree on that, no?:D

Oh, ok....just because I like you! ;)

BTW, I do not eat lobster either. They are in abundance where I live and my canal is loaded with them. Frankly, I'm sick of lobster. They're fun to catch though!

Haven't heard about the Lobster yet (but not surprised) but they have been charging for a thicker cut of CHOICE meat for almost a year now.

Being it's not a PRIME cut of meat, I'm surprised ANYONE would purchase one.

I have no idea what the "cut" was, but my son ordered it on The Explorer in May... we all had it taste, and it was pretty darned good! I'd let him get it again, if that is what he wanted (strappin' young man of 16years ;)... he likes his steak!!!:p) JOHO, but it was much better AND larger than the standard steak he had ordered on the previous night. Maybe he was lucky?!?!

A~

Oh, ok....just because I like you! ;)

BTW, I do not eat lobster either. They are in abundance where I live and my canal is loaded with them. Frankly, I'm sick of lobster. They're fun to catch though!

:D:D:p Thanks Aquahound!! I like agreeing with you more than not agreeing!:)

So does this mean you are moving on? Inquiring minds and all. Since that IS the way it is at least where the Chops Filet is concerned.

jc

See - that's what I was talking about! I was clearly talking about the lobster and filet entree mentioned in the first post.......But thanks for keeping me in your thoughts.....

:D

they must have ordered it from the Chops Grill, which was stated with a price of 14.00. I did not have any lobster on the Voyager; they don't have it anymore; but we had big shrimp. I did not get charged extra for anything

I really don't understand people's surprise at extra charges in the dining room. This is just a natural continuation of a trend that has been going on for years on most cruise lines. As long as enough passengers accept paying for "special" restaurants, "special" menu items, "special" ice cream, "special" coffee, and whatever, the cruise lines will continue finding new "special" items. This is how they keep the fares low to stay competitive in a saturated market.

I pay for the "special" coffee, because that's my addiction, and nothing else. Everybody else is free to make their own decisions, but you have to go real up-market to get away from all of this, where means you pay for all these things up front with your cruise fare, whether you use them or not.

. . . As long as enough passengers accept paying for "special" restaurants, "special" menu items, "special" ice cream, "special" coffee, and whatever, the cruise lines will continue finding new "special" items. . .

Hear, hear! [which according to straightdope.com is "an abbreviation for 'hear, all ye good people, hear what this brilliant and eloquent speaker has to say!'"]

I have to confess that, for a variety of reasons, I dropped Econ 1 as an undergraduate. But before I did, I recall hearing a lot of talk about supply and demand and market forces. I do not recall hearing anything immoral or unethical about responding to those market forces.

Hear, hear! [which according to straightdope.com is "an abbreviation for 'hear, all ye good people, hear what this brilliant and eloquent speaker has to say!'"]

I have to confess that, for a variety of reasons, I dropped Econ 1 as an undergraduate. But before I did, I recall hearing a lot of talk about supply and demand and market forces. I do not recall hearing anything immoral or unethical about responding to those market forces.

I agree with you! Honestly, we found out that the charge for lobster is zippo and if you want the special cut of steak, then you can order for a set price, or ignore it on the menu and just order the steak option that is there for the same price as the lobster......

You don't like the supply/demand theories, then don't order it. The OP asked about the charges for steak and lobster in MDR. Answer was given. Let's move on.

:D:eek::D

Every time I read posts about the indignation over the CHOPS steak charge and how this is only the beginning of the end, I think of the Boris Karloff Franfenstien movie....with the villagers storming the castle with pitch forks and torches!

Easy folks, RCI has not started carrying guns and forcing you to buy the CHOPS steak! It came purely from comment cards and customer requests!

Chill!

Won't be long before ALL dining is ala carte, and billed to your shipboard account. Prices will be on the menu just like at a hotel on land. $6.99 breakfast $9.99 for the lunch buffet and $15.99 for the dinner buffet.

I call for a boycott for all ala carte dining.

Just off the Jewel 10/17. No charge for lobster tail that is on the

fishermans platter. In fact had an extra one. Only extra charge is the

'Chops' steak. All other dinners no extra charges. Food still good and

plentiful in my opinion. Never went away hungry.:)

I think my wife had lobster as part of a surf n turf in MDR on a recent IoS cruise in the Med.

Personally, if they do away with prime steak and lobster from the MDR menu I wouldn't care. These, and champagne, are for people who confuse cost with quality.

Archived