Any access to a microwave aboard?

fann1sh

Another thread - PH pantry - mentioned PH's have a microwave.

That made me *sigh* because I'd dearly love access to one for my upcoming cruise.

This thread would be a lot more fun if I just left it there, and let people speculate why I want a microwave. Maybe Pipedreams would post pictures, and people would ask if I needed a blender for my balcony, too :D

The prosaic truth: my elderly Mom with disabilities would be more comfortable if I could warm some items for personal care.

So....does anyone know if I can get access to a microwave? I'll be in a suite across from the Neptune Lounge, and planned to ask the concierge about this :o. However, 98% of people aboard don't have that option. Suggestions? Many thanks for any responses. ---Patricia

I've recently seen 'portable' microwaves. They were marketed towards tailgate parties, camping... I'd be concerned about the watts they would draw as I don't know if the cabin outlets could handle that. They just don't seem practical for a cruise, but people do bring their own blenders..... :rolleyes:

If we needed one for medical comfort and we didn't have Neptune access, I'd just ask our cabin steward.

I definitely think the Chief Electrician/Captain/Engineer would have a problem with a guest bringing a portable microwave. Definitely a no -no. They don't want us bringing our own power strips but make some available through the front office.

The only way I know for a guest to have access to a microwave is to book the Penthouse. There is a micro in there.

I don't believe there is a micro in Neptune Lounge. If there is, it is behind closed door which is not available to guests.

Any access to a microwave aboard?

There are no microwaves "out and about" on HAL ships that are available for pax (besides the PH;)). Do they have microwaves in the galley(s) somewhere? Wouldn't doubt it, but you would have to request to have something heated up and doing that more than once would probably become a logistical problem for the crew

Could you get hot water from room service to help with your "warming"? Or, just let the hot water in the bathroom run...it gets pretty hot!

Or, if it's something that doesn't need to be wet, bring a heating pad, and wrap the item in it, until warm!

Thanks, all. I'd planned on bringing a heating pad, and had already thought of the hot water trick. I'm sure something will work.

I don't want to be a nuisance, and this would be a "once a day" need. I knew there were no public microwaves (I can smell the burnt popcorn now :eek:) Just curious if anyone (like S7S) knew if the concierge had one, back of the house.

Thanks, all. I'd planned on bringing a heating pad, and had already thought of the hot water trick. I'm sure something will work.

I don't want to be a nuisance, and this would be a "once a day" need. I knew there were no public microwaves (I can smell the burnt popcorn now :eek:) Just curious if anyone (like S7S) knew if the concierge had one, back of the house.

The concierge doesn't have one (in the NL) but would probably have access to one via the PG stewards who provision the NL

The concierge doesn't have one (in the NL) but would probably have access to one via the PG stewards who provision the NL

John..... The only hot food served in Neptune is coffee/tea from the wonderful coffee machine or hot hors d'ouerves when served at a cocktail party. They are brought up to the Neptune...not heated there.

I seriously doubt there is a microwave 'in the back' at Neptune Lounge but will write to the ship today to ask.

Thank you all, especially Copper for the explanation, and Sail for the offer of help. I posted this thread on impulse, after reading the "What's in the PH pantry" thread. Really, honestly, truly, this isn't a big deal.

But it does show how wonderfully helpful HAL posters are! Thanks again ---Patricia

John..... The only hot food served in Neptune is coffee/tea from the wonderful coffee machine or hot hors d'ouerves when served at a cocktail party. They are brought up to the Neptune...not heated there.

I seriously doubt there is a microwave 'in the back' at Neptune Lounge but will write to the ship today to ask.

That's what I'm saying S7S - There isn't one in the NL

If your need is for some type of medical situation,

why not contact the Special Needs Dept. Perhaps

something could be warmed in the Medical Dept. ?

They may have an idea to assist you.

As mentioned above, be especially careful

of any device you plan to plug in ...

Archived