Where should we buy jewelery in the Caribbean?

Miss Tracey Lacey

Why does everyone think they're going to get a "deal" in the Caribbean?

When I am buying jewelry or DH is buying for me we drive into NYC the diamond district and Chinatown has phenomenal jewelers/prices.

I looked at some stores in St Thomas (people were going nuts spending money) and there were NO bargains to be had.

While I've seen gorgeous jewelry at stores on the islands there is NEVER a deal. They see us tourists coming a mile away.

I have to agree with you on this one.

We were in Charlotte Amalie last week and the prices were really nothing to get excited about. We saw some nice pieces (and some crap), but all in all we can get the same or better quality as the best we saw for an even better price by taking a 30 min. ride to 8th Street (Jeweler's Row) in Philadelphia

I have always enjoyed watching people try to get jewelry bargains in the Caribbean. Since we usually cruise in January, we know that when we get home, we will have the Tucson Gem and Mineral Show to attend and buy. We know that we can get better gems and jewelry and have it set however we want at close to true wholesale prices. (because we can buy wholesale because my store does sell some things available at the gem shows)

We have had tablemates come back with nice jewelry they bought on shore. Then find out they paid roughly 10 to 20% more than they really needed to.

My advice for anyone thinking of buying jewelry in the Caribbean. Go to one or two local jewelry stores in your hometown. (Jared's has a nice selection but most of the "mall stores" will have slightly better quality. Even Macy's has decent jewelry) Look at what you might buy, and check the prices. Become educated before even shopping in the Caribbean.

People often leave their brains at home when they travel -- unless price is no object, any purchase of a few hundred dollars or more should come after two steps:

1) Comparison shop at home before you go so you will have a good idea of what you want and what it should cost.

2) Make sure you know what (and where) you are buying - are you really able to tell 8 kt gold from 18 kt or 24 kt, can you competently appraise a gem, will you be able to exchange unsatisfactory goods without inpossible hassle.

Finally, whatever gives you the idea that corner stores in the Caribbean have better inventory, a more honest approach to business, are more accessible for after-purchase service, or might be inclined to see you as a possible repeat customer if treated fairly than would a hometown dealer?

Be VERY careful! I was dupped! Bought what I thought was a diamond and turned out to be moissanite. A mossanite will show positive on a diamond tester! Luckily, I had it checked when I returned home. I did get my money back (the shop was right on the main street where the ship docks!) AND I turned the company in to the Atty. General!

• 4 weeks later...

Well I bit the bullet and bought a ring that I fell in love with. I did a LOT of comparison shopping and went into all the stores around to check what I wanted and who would give me the best price.

I ended up choosing a blue and white diamond ring. I love it, and got a good deal.

When I got home I took it to my jeweler and all the diamonds are real, and she was VERY impressed with the price I paid, and how unique it is.

The appraisal is double what I paid for it. So I very highly recommend Nobel's jewelery. They are family run, and have a store on a few different islands. I visited the stores on St. Thomas, and St. Kitts.

You do have to be comfortable with talking them down in price, as the initial prices seemed a bit high, but they were more than happy to compromise on the price of their pieces.

• 1 month later...

Cardow Does have a large Variety But they DO NOT stand behind their Guarantee.

We had done many purchases over the years in CARDOW in St Thomas.

This last time in March My wife purchased a Gold neckace.

Once we were home we noticed a Link was Badly damaged.

We called they gave us a return authorization number then we sent it back .

We recieved a Call that even when we sent it back within the 30 day period they could not refund us.

They reported it was tear a wear. !

HELLOOO!

New Knecklace Less than one month used once, Damaged link , NORMAL TEAR AND WEAR?????

I do not think So!

We spoke with the manager and same response they are not refunding.

I had never dealt with them on a return but this was the firs time and oviously not a good experience.

I would not Spend one penny there ever again.

Little switzerland had taken care of a Rolex watch we had purchased Many years ago they were very curteous and willing to work with the customer.

CARDOW IS A BUST!

Thanks

Ed

Worst thing about all the ports are the diamond shops wouldn't touch them with a bargepole. You can get cheaper and better design etc. in the USA or UK. Why do you think Diamonds International etc. have the smartest shops:rolleyes:

On the rare occasions when I allowed my wife to purchase jewelry in the Caribbean, I had her go alone and make her best deal.

Then I went along - in my Cruise Ship Hotel Manager's uniform - and they gave us an 80% discount on top of her best price.

Do you think they were losing money on the deal? Doubtful.

It's usually only newbies and nimrods buying "duty free" anything in the Caribbean.

Has anybody seen any diamond mines there?

On the rare occasions when I allowed my wife to purchase jewelry in the Caribbean, I had her go alone and make her best deal.

Then I went along - in my Cruise Ship Hotel Manager's uniform - and they gave us an 80% discount on top of her best price.

Do you think they were losing money on the deal? Doubtful.

It's usually only newbies and nimrods buying "duty free" anything in the Caribbean.

Has anybody seen any diamond mines there?

Bruce, I've got an old Boy Scout uniform. Do you think that would be snazzy enough to garner a hefty discount for me and the little lady? If not, could I borrow your uniform next month?

St. Thomas at Bobby's. Have been trading there 13 years and always have gotten a good deal.:) Karishma is the jewelry designer and they have some lovely pieces. We will be going in April again. Good luck.

Also, Diamonds International is good but more expensive.

I have to go with the "no where in the Caribbean" crowd. The cruise ships take you to touristy areas, and you're simply not going to find great quality for a value price. You can find multiple threads on this site with stories like, "The salesman on ____ island said this was worth $500 and sold it to me for half price, but when I got it home it only appraised for $120." They can SAY an item is worth whatever they want to say it's worth; doesn't really mean it's true.

I'd buy something inexpensive, if it was something that I liked and would use -- but I wouldn't spend more than $100. Actually, I probably wouldn't spend more than $50 on a single item.

I avoid Diamonds International for several reasons but mainly because their sales staff are incredibly pushy. The minute you walk through the door they pounce and won't leave you alone and that guarantees I won't be buying anything. The nicest piece of "cruise jewellery" I bought was a little pinky ring made from an Alaskan gold nugget which I found in a small independent gallery/store in Skagway. Can't remember the name, sorry :(

• 3 months later...

Well I finally got the official appraisal done, every jeweler was guessing it would come in minimum at double what I paid, so I figured that would be what my appraisal would be here back home.

I paid $460 for the ring, and the appraisal is for $2,410!

So definitely got a great deal! :D

St Thomas seems to be nothing but one jewlry store after the next now.

Use to have many Electronics, Camera , etc. shops but no more.

Just jewelry stores one end of town to the other, with a couple of liquer stores still surviving.:(

If you can stand the pressure and know good jewelry , St Thomas may be the place.:o

Archived