"I wish I knew before..."

T&Dcruisers

If you had to list your top 5 points/tips that you wish you had known before you went on your first cruise what would they be?

Wow, T&Dcruisers, did you ever dream your original post would still be going strong and so popular after almost 6 years!? As a first-timers, I feel so much more prepared...mentally and physically...for our September cruise after reading all previous 2006 postings. Thank you everyone for your input! I'll be back in October with my favorite used and un-used tips.

Wendy

Edited by Bacpac84

Wow, T&Dcruisers, did you ever dream your original post would still be going strong and so popular after almost 6 years!? As a first-timers, I feel so much more prepared...mentally and physically...for our September cruise after reading all previous 2006 postings. Thank you everyone for your input! I'll be back in October with my favorite used and un-used tips.

Wendy

It is wonderful that this thread just keeps going! So many threads get shut down because people make nasty or inappropriate comments, so it is great to see a thread where everyone is just genuinely friendly and helpful.

Long may this thread live! :)

Wendy

This is the best and most helpful posting on the whole site

Keep it going. Cause I am still learning

This was originally posted in November, 2012 but since it was recently quoted I thought I would respond with a strong request that you DO NOT skip the muster drill.

Fires and other emergencies do not cease simply because you are on vacation (as evidenced by the loss of 32 lives aboard the Costa Concordia) and physically having gone to your muster station will help to ensure that you really know where it is in the event an emergency. So yes, there are some "have to's" on your vacation, and this is one of them.

Besides your own safety, it is also not very nice for those who do show up. They'll have to wait while the crew is trying to find you.

I'm not a first time cruiser, I've been on 3 before now, all 3 have been a disappointment in one way or another, my fault I know. However, I am trying to get together a spur of the moment cruise to take my daughter her hubby (1st timers) and adult and teen granddaughters. (2nd time cruisers)

Does anyone know how hard it is to get booked on a cruise to the Bahamas for 3-4 days in July. I can't book till the first and it has to be in July as jobs and school starts in August. Any suggestions?

I'm not a first time cruiser, I've been on 3 before now, all 3 have been a disappointment in one way or another, my fault I know. However, I am trying to get together a spur of the moment cruise to take my daughter her hubby (1st timers) and adult and teen granddaughters. (2nd time cruisers)

Does anyone know how hard it is to get booked on a cruise to the Bahamas for 3-4 days in July. I can't book till the first and it has to be in July as jobs and school starts in August. Any suggestions?

Visit the cruise website, or call them. Simplest way I can imagine

If you are OK being flexible with your cabin assignments, then you may be able to find a cruise to go on.

However, if the type or location of your cabin on your three prior cruises was part of the reason for your disappointment then you might want to rethink the plan, since you will likely not get the type of cabin you want, or in a location which you want. You are also unlikely to get cabins in close proximity at the last minute.

Smokey ham, the disappointment from my cruises was not due to the choose of cabins, I think it was due to me being a chronic caretaker. 1st one was with sisters that was handicapped and felt I had to stay with them in case they needed help. 2nd one was with a bunch of couples and grandkids I was the odd person out and felt I had to be available for the kids, the 3rd one was with my DH which we were separated at the time and he was a stick in the mud and didn't want to do anything but sit by the pool and watch everyone else have fun.

We will be needing 3 cabins and being as there will be all adults in each cabin doesn't matter if they are all in different areas. More than likely we will all be doing our own thing and then meeting back together for dinner. I plan on not being the caretaker on this cruise and am going to go out n have some fun of my own. If DH wants to sit by pool then he will be left there to do what he does best. (Drink) I plan to find an excursion for us to go on, and plan to take advantage of lots of fun stuff on the ship. I plan to take care of me on this trip. lol

If you had to list your top 5 points/tips that you wish you had known before you went on your first cruise what would they be? Examples, like binder clip for the shower curtain or that the first drink is NOT free, etc.

My friend is going on a cruise for her honeymoon and neither have been on one before and she just doens't have time to read these boards, wedding planning and all, so I thought I might compile a list for her. I tried composing one myself but found that I just kept forgetting things. Thanks for everyone's help!

That's its not as complicated to take a cruise as some people make it out to be. That you get a very limited time in port .That the cruise line nickels and dimes you to no end.To show up a day early and to take what you read on message boards with a grain of salt

This has been an incredibly helpful read. My wife and I are about to go on our first cruise, and I've read so many helpful ideas here.

Thank you, everyone who has contributed! :)

Aloha :D

Since you're cruising Alaska, I hope you've been reading the Alaska ports of call thread, http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

• 2 weeks later...

I'm actually booked on my 2nd cruise and my first cruise was awesome but, as I'm sure you all know, you learn as you go! There are definitely some things I will do differently on my 2nd cruise now that I get it a bit more. For me, I've learned that it's best to pay cash for expenses if possible, the unlimited drink package is not a very good deal unless you're a heavy drinker, and do a ton of homework and book your excursions before you leave!

For those who have cruised before, what's one thing you wish you knew the first time? Any unexpected info you've picked up along the way that has made your travel easier? Thanks!!

Of course, I started cruising in the early Jurassic Period -- back before the advent of "perks and packages". But, the single best piece of advice I have ever heard for a new cruiser is: Take a good look at what you're planning to pack -- then, bring half the clothes and twice the $$. :cool:

Thank you all soooooooo much, just went through the entire thread... Thinking I'm going to need a suite case just for all the stuff people suggested. This is my first cruise and more or less my first time leaving Canada.

I'm a bit of a penny pincher and trying to fins the best adventures without going though the cruise. One thing I am concerned about is not making it back in time for the boat.... Parents told me about this one time in St Thomas they had cab tell them it was going to be x amount to take them to their excursion and then half way there he stopped and said they had to pay more to get to where they had to go. Luckily my uncle to more money with them.... Does this type of thing happen often?

I just don't want my fiancé and I getting stranded or be taken advantage of or worse me arguing with the cabby.

Thanks again everyone!!

I'm actually booked on my 2nd cruise and my first cruise was awesome but, as I'm sure you all know, you learn as you go! There are definitely some things I will do differently on my 2nd cruise now that I get it a bit more. For me, I've learned that it's best to pay cash for expenses if possible, the unlimited drink package is not a very good deal unless you're a heavy drinker, and do a ton of homework and book your excursions before you leave! For those who have cruised before, what's one thing you wish you knew the first time? Any unexpected info you've picked up along the way that has made your travel easier? Thanks!!
Why is it best to pay with cash? This puzzles me. Roz

Aloha Roz & Mia Bella :D

Taken in context, she doesn't mean literally to pay cash for your drinks on the ship because you can't on cruise ships. She means don't buy the drink packages on the ship because the daily charge is a lot more than most people can drink in 1 day. I find the daily drink package amount to be truly outrageous, unless you are someone that will drink a case of beer a day for example. She means to charge your individual drinks to your shipboard account and settle up at the end of the cruise or the night before you disembark.

Mia Bella, we've learned to not do too much in each port. You'll be exhausted if you do too much in the ports. You're paying to relax & enjoy the ship, and shipboard amenities. You don't have to see all of the different show on board either. Take you time and enjoy the food. I've learned over the years that my diets are for "home" only. I don't diet when we're on vaca. I don't workout either when I'm on vaca, and don't check email. If it's an emergency, they'll call the ship and if it isn't, what do they expect me to do about it from thousands of miles away?

Thank you all soooooooo much, just went through the entire thread... Thinking I'm going to need a suite case just for all the stuff people suggested. This is my first cruise and more or less my first time leaving Canada. I'm a bit of a penny pincher and trying to fins the best adventures without going though the cruise. One thing I am concerned about is not making it back in time for the boat.... Parents told me about this one time in St Thomas they had cab tell them it was going to be x amount to take them to their excursion and then half way there he stopped and said they had to pay more to get to where they had to go. Luckily my uncle to more money with them.... Does this type of thing happen often? I just don't want my fiancé and I getting stranded or be taken advantage of or worse me arguing with the cabby. Thanks again everyone!!

Aloha iconix :D

If you truly read the whole thread, how did you miss the part about don't overpack? Especially if you're going to the Caribbean! Everybody seems to be saying that they only used half of what they packed. And do you know what? Nobody really cares if you wear the same clothes over and over again. We don't care if your clothes are wrinkled! We really don't. We're on vacation! There are no clothes police on the cruise ship. And there will not be a full page ad back home telling everyone what you wore on your cruise.

And having a cabby try to extort you by stopping in the middle of your rush to get back to the ship, that can happen anywhere. Why would you wait until you're going to be late to leave wherever you are? Why wouldn't you give yourself enough time just in case something happens trying to get back to the ship, like a cabby trying to extort more money from you. If you give yourself enough time, you could always flag down others returning to the ship and ask for help. If you're the type that wants to be the last returning to the ship and expect the ship to wait for you, GOOD LUCK WITH THAT! And if you are trying to return from someplace nobody else goes when they are on the cruise, DUH!

If you're that worried about getting stuck somewhere, just pay the man! Do your due diligence and research your ports and find operators with good reputations. If you use the cruise line approved vendor, you're paying for the due diligence they did to find reputable operators and you can still have a problem with them. Do your homework and don't be pennywise & pound foolish! Ever hear that phrase?

It's kind of like driving up somewhere and a guy walks up to you and says, "Hey man, want me to park your car?" Would you just hand him your keys? Think man! Just because you're on vacation, don't stop thinking. Anytime you're offered a deal that seems too good to be true, guess what, it probably is! Just don't set yourself up to be taken. Most people get taken by their own greed.

Hi Rakuroda,

I swear I read the entire thread and I did see: do not overpack several times... But there's sooooo many good ideas that I want to pack them all lol

I'm pretty good with time management and I plan to leave lots of time to return to the ship. I was just curious if extortion is the norm or if my parents just had a bad cabby. Believe me when I say I'm trying to research and I find it's a bit overwhelming but I will figure it out.

I believe we are going to be doing a few excursions with the ship and also a few on our own as I have notice there are a lot of exclusion that seem better priced and more interesting.

Don't be a penny wise and a pound foolish.... I can honestly say,I have never heard that term. I like it though.

I work with convicts, I trust no one lol

Thank you for replying!

Edited by iconix

After several cruises I feel that there are a couple of must have's and things to leave at home.

- Be sure to pack lots of smiles, (because your going to have such a good time) and share them throughout your cruise day, (the next person you smile at could become your new best friend,,,, or at least for the rest of your cruise )

Also, pack an extra bit of patience for your cruise, unfortunately nothing goes perfect, so a little bit of patience comes in handy, (you have paid to much money to let little things ruin your cruise)

- A must for some people is to not pack extra "attitude". Its not needed and I can't thing of one situation that it would come in handy (avoid and ignore the ones that forget to leave this at home.)