Suite Vs. Diamond pax.

Macfans

It's not that hard to get to Diamond, and there are still some nice offerings for Diamond members. A suite passenger pays a lot more for that trip; I don't begrudge them some high class perks. I'll be Diamond after my spring cruise; it will be my sixth with two of them in JS. (My wife snuck in two four days with our kids along the way, so she'll have been on eight. I get to ride on her coat tails.)

We've got a grand suite booked for our upcoming cruise. I can't say that I think the benefits are that great. So I get to suck down a few free drinks, and get seats at the ice show. I know they're more perks, (they've been posted), but really is it that annoying? I can think of a lot more annoying topics.

We've got a grand suite booked for our upcoming cruise. I can't say that I think the benefits are that great. So I get to suck down a few free drinks, and get seats at the ice show. I know they're more perks, (they've been posted), but really is it that annoying? I can think of a lot more annoying topics.

You also get to use that lovely bar in the suite to mix drinks and enjoy them on the balcony. Oh wait, you can't use the bar as a bar; they won't sell you any bottles of booze.:confused:

Suite guest pay a big premium for their perks and help keep the cost of cruising low for the rest of us! It is not that difficult to reach Diamond level. I bet it's possible for someone to reach Diamond level without spending as much as a suite guest on a single cruise.

Both are important to the cruiseline but I think the suite guest deserves all of their perks!

Why should suite passengers get more benefits than diamond members. We are the bread and butter of RCCL. We pay the bills, not the occasional cruiser. That doesn't make sense to me.

Three med Cruises. That's a lot. Did it give you access to Officers country and the wardroom??

Suite guest pay a big premium for their perks and help keep the cost of cruising low for the rest of us! It is not that difficult to reach Diamond level. I bet it's possible for someone to reach Diamond level without spending as much as a suite guest on a single cruise. :eek:

Both are important to the cruiseline but I think the suite guest deserves all of their perks!

That is surely overstating it. I'd have to check to make sure, but I don't think a Grand Suite is or even an Owner's Suite comes to seven or eight times the price of an Oceanview Cabin.

Why should suite passengers get more benefits than diamond members. We are the bread and butter of RCCL. We pay the bills, not the occasional cruiser. That doesn't make sense to me.

I think you should book a suite and make that the topic of converstion in the CL on your next sailing.

Please-please please-I want to be there....................:cool:

Suite guest pay a big premium for their perks and help keep the cost of cruising low for the rest of us! It is not that difficult to reach Diamond level. I bet it's possible for someone to reach Diamond level without spending as much as a suite guest on a single cruise.

That is surely overstating it. I'd have to check to make sure, but I don't think a Grand Suite is or even an Owner's Suite comes to seven or eight times the price of an Oceanview Cabin.

Sam, you could do 10 3 or 4 night cruises on the Monarch or Majesty or Sovereign (R.I.P.) for as little as $189 per person per cruise. That makes you Diamond. I think that a week in a Grand Suite on the Freedom just may cost more than $1890 per person.

What about a cruiser who gets to diamond level and only uses suites. Under the OP view point they should get far more than a diamond who has never booked a suite.

I would also suggest that the "bread and butter" passengers on a cruise ship are the suite passengers the same as on the airlines where the 1st class and business class passengers actually make the flight and indeed the airline profitable. It would be interesting to hear from someone in the industry who has been involved in working out profit margins for cruises.

Sam, you could do 10 3 or 4 night cruises on the Monarch or Majesty or Sovereign (R.I.P.) for as little as $189 per person per cruise. That makes you Diamond. I think that a week in a Grand Suite on the Freedom just may cost more than $1890 per person.

I guess you're right. If being diamond was really that important to me I could do 30 nights of inside cabins on one of the older ships. I think I was comparing my usual room (Oceanview) and cruise (5 -7 nights) to the upgrade on a similar cruise.

Now, one of the reasons we are taking our spring cruise this year is so that we can be Diamond Members for a Med Cruise in the summer. But that's just one reason, and not the most important one.

I would tend to think that the bread and butter as you call it are actually the 70 or 80% of the pax on everyship without D, or even Plat status. Most are 1st time cruisers who are paying full price for their cabins, no discounts, no smuggled booze, just there to spend their $$ and have a great vacation. I have yet to be on a ship where there is more that a few hundred D/D+ members and that would be a lot, and while the suite pax pay a hefty sum, it is for the size of their cabin, and a few free drinks in return with some reserved chairs here and there.

Sorry RCI's $$ is from less experienced pax who spend $$. The more experieced you get, the less you spend. Lets face it, we D/D+ take less excursions with RCI, smuggle booze, bring our own soda/water, buy less souveneirs on board, and want all the discounts and free crap they will give us, but then cry when they cut it back.

We always book suites because of the extra space, bathrooms, and the benefits. We pay a lot more for suites than we would for a lower category and this is our choice. What about people who book the absolutely cheapest room available only to achieve diamond status? We could cruise 5-6 times per year in an inside or once or twice in a suite and we choose suite. My feeling is we are paying handsomely for those suite benefits. I do love how there is always someone who doesn't like the fact that you get more when you pay more, usually because they're either too cheap themselves to spend the money or they can't afford it. For the years we were raising our kids we couldn't afford it either, but I never begrudged anyone who could.

And as for being the "bread and butter" of RCI, that's probably not entirely true. Suite passengers more than likely spend more per person than those in inside cabins which makes them cruisers that the line wants to have return. It all boils down to choices, which we ALL have.

I also agree that first time cruisers usually spend more, but that said, DH and I are going on our 7th cruise and we never smuggle booze or bring on anything to drink and we usually book an excursion in most ports (for ease of transportation, etc). To us a vacation is about ease and relaxation and lugging extra crap on board doesn't fall into those categories.

Same reason First Class fliers get better seats and amenities than frequent fliers who always book coach.:rolleyes:

My thoughts exactly. Me & my sister usually book a GS when we cruise & usually cruise for 12+ nights so it may take us longer to get to D or D+ status. We could if we lived near a port & can take several 3 day cruises.

With the perks, discounts, etc. they currently get, Diamond members cost the cruiseline more, and if the ship can be filled anyway, don't give the cruise line any more benefit. I'm not sure I'd call that bread & butter.

hi all we had a js earlier this year and got a good discount but we have just booked EXPLORER for 7th november next year for a great price flights from uk local airport (birmingham) one night in NewYork plus all transfers and balcony cabin 12 night south caribbean cruise for £1250 each and just got diamond discount so now only £1175 each ($1927) bargin if you ask me

Happy diamond member (am i the only one):)

Archived