Coral Princess - FBI???

Borrego

OP said second chef? Have two gone missing?

Hi Dobie, nice to "see" you again!

I could be wrong, but I think a 2nd chef is a title given to the person(s) who are directly under the Chef and bear responsibilities for duties that need to be done. This person would report directly to the Chef with others below probably reporting to 2nd Chef. Hopefully this is clearer than mud:D

It is my understanding that the FBI does not just show up but are called in by others. The ship will dock at a US port and were probably asked to come in on the case from another law enforcement agency.

I think it's interesting that the FBI would be getting involved at all on the disappearance of a non US citizen, working on a non US registered ship, who disappeared off the shore of another country.

The best reason for the FBI investigating is that Carnival is a U.S. based company and the majority of passengers on the ship at any one time are U.S. citizens. They probably want to have some idea if this was a suicide or if something else maybe going on that may endanger passengers.

The best reason for the FBI investigating is that Carnival is a U.S. based company and the majority of passengers on the ship at any one time are U.S. citizens. They probably want to have some idea if this was a suicide or if something else maybe going on that may endanger passengers.

Princess is the US based part.

I think it also matters that the cruise started and ended in US ports. Would the FBI be involved if the voyage had been from say, Rio to Santiago?

I think it also matters that the cruise started and ended in US ports. Would the FBI be involved if the voyage had been from say, Rio to Santiago?

Only if a US national was involved. The FBI was called when a US citizen went missing on a RC ship in Turkey during a cruise which was not leaving, stopping or returning to the US. A US national includes both citizens and permanent resident aliens.

I believe recent US legislation requires the FBI be notified in cases like this. The ship can't sail until the FBI releases it.

Princess is the US based part.

Isn't Princess owned by Carnival Corporation? Carnival Corporation (US)and Carnival plc (UK) are separate listed companies and have different shareholder bodies, but they jointly own all the operating companies in the group. Carnival Corporation (US) owns the majority stake.

Yes, Princess is the line that this tragedy happened on but it is owned by CCL (Carnival Corp) which is the parent company besides Princess they own ten other brands.

I understand that but it is due to Princess being based in the US at this point. Does not matter whether Carnival UK/USA has 200 other cruise lines under its brand or where they are.

Isn't Princess owned by Carnival Corporation? Carnival Corporation (US)and Carnival plc (UK) are separate listed companies and have different shareholder bodies, but they jointly own all the operating companies in the group. Carnival Corporation (US) owns the majority stake.

Yes.

Cruise line: FBI in LA probes missing cruise chef

LOS ANGELES — A cruise line says the FBI is investigating the disappearance of an Italian chef who may have gone overboard from an American cruise ship.

The probe was initiated Monday morning after the Princess Cruises' Coral Princess docked at the Port of Los Angeles.

Cruise spokeswoman Julie Benson says 31-year-old Angelo Faliva was last seen Nov. 26 as the ship sailed from Aruba to Colombia. Benson says a search of the ship and a review of security cameras came up empty.

The 31-year-old's family said they were told he unexpectedly left the galley while working the dinner shift and never returned. The ship left Florida on Nov. 23.

An FBI spokeswoman could not confirm details of the investigation.

Source

We got off Coral today, and the FBI is talking to crew, we got off the ship with zero delay and right on time. This was a very sad thing that happened. And when we learned of it our thoughts and prayers have always been for this man's family and coworkers.

I have no special inside information, we did eat in Sabitini's and that morning it was said there would be a delay since a chef had not shown up. Then lining up for a tour we hear him paged to the front desk, never heard that before on a cruise. We learned of the tragedy that night when we returned to a spot to look.

Not fun, and very sad. I did hear gossip but that is playing telephone and the story always goes over the top. The cruise was very nice, the staff was excellent and did not gossip about the event to us. Very professional on their part. We did not ask or bring it up to staff, that is not something you should do.

I just heard a new report (NBC) that the Coral pulled into Los Angeles this morning with a missing crew member, the Chef. He disappeared November 26 in Columbia.

Who was the Chef?

Amelia

Just got off the Coral yesterday, noticed late in the evening he supposedly went missing that a life ring on the aft section of the promenade deck was missing. The next day a new one had been placed there. A day later that one had been removed and a large white sheet had been fixed in place over the area of the missing life ring. Also his life jacket was rumoured to be missing as well.

Archived