Your first cruise ship

Copper10-8

She kind of looks like the MV Coho that does ferry service from Port Angeles, WA to Victoria, BC. Coho is from the 50's I believe

Two different animals; mv Coho was built in 1959 in Seattle, WA by Puget Sound Bridge & Drydock Company. As you know, she does up to four roundtrips daily between Port Angeles, WA and Victoria, BC.

MvCohoBlackBallLine_zps4d08289c.jpg

Princess Patricia was built in by the Fairfield Company at Glasgow, Scotland, along with her sister Princess Marguerite, so "Pat and Maggie". They were both 5,911 ton ships carrying 90 passengers in 49 cabins along with 50-60 cars. They both joined the CPR fleet in 1949 on the Tri-City route between Vancouver, Victoria and Seattle, WA

CanadianPacificLtdCanada-Defunct-PrincessPatriciascrapped1989_zps3638ebdd.jpg

Canadian Pacific's Princess Patricia; she was scrapped in 1989. Check out the similarity of the current Carnival Cruises logo to the CP logo on her two funnels. Carnival founder Ted Arison adapted that former CP logo, changing the colors and some lines into curves, and made it his own

Thank you for the lovely photo. That was the colour-scheme in her final years: the CP Rail colours with the "multi-mark" as it was called. From photos I have seen, the original funnels were a buff-colour (like P&O) with a black top. Strangely, the Canadian Pacific Steamships chequered flag was on one funnel, yet the Princess liners were operated by the railway division not the steamship division. The final Empress liner had the green multi-mark and the Princess liners had the red one, which is accurate.

On the day we arrived in Vancouver on the Princess Patricia, we took the Princess of Vancouver over to Nanaimo on Vancouver Island, then the CPR train (RDC or Budd car as often called) down to Victoria, then the Princess Marguerite to Seattle. So in one part of a day we travelled on all three Princess ships and one train, rarely stepping off Canadian Pacific property. Those were the days.

Edited by david,Mississauga
Grammar

l982 or l983, RCCL, 7 day Carribean, on The Song of America.... now 50+ cruises later, on 9 different lines, would have never dreamed, remember leaving St Thomas thinking how wonder the cruise had been not realizing we would go and go....

Just celebrated 20 years of cruising with first cruise in 1994 on the Costa Allegra -- built in 1969 as a container ship, and was “stretched” and converted to a cruise ship in the early 1990s: photos and details here...

http://www.travelingwiththejones.com/2014/02/04/celebrating-20-years-of-cruising-what-has-changed-versus-what-has-stayed-the-same/

If it does, this is the right board to post it on - my family sailed from NYC to Le Havre on a Holland America "steamship" (my parents' word), which I think must have been the Nieuw Amsterdam, since it was the only HAL ship back then, in the Fall of 1950. I'm afraid I have no recollections of the crossing, although I occasionally remember snippets from the 3 months we spent in Paris.

Our first was a 14 day Alaskan Explorer on the Amsterdam in 2012. It came as near to perfect an experience as we have ever had. Saying we were "hooked" doesn't really convey the depth of the obsession we now have for cruising!

• 3 weeks later...

Darn it. Every time I see an update to this thread it makes me mad :o. My wife and I got by luck a space-A flight to Athens for our honeymoon in Oct 1982. We only packed for Germany in the Fall. So we get to Athens, then what? We wandered around town and made our way down to Pireus for lunch early in our stay. Wouldn't it be neat to cruise the Greek Isles we thinks to ourselves?? So we did, it was great. Small, old, Greek ferry line. Almost nobody on the ship but UK holidayers. First exposure to the chicken-dance.... Have hated it since. Someday I will make it through old memory boxes and find something that tells me what the ship was.

Going back; but this time in style, is on the bucket list.

Dennis

Our first cruise was on the Mississippi Queen in August 1992 to celebrate our 10th anniversary. It cruised from New Orleans to Natchez and back. We didn't realize that the lower Mississippi River is mostly Levees so we couldn't see anything. Also at night our veranda was overwhelmed with mosquitos. Returning to New Orleans we stopped at Baton Rouge and were bused to the airport to catch the last flight out before Hurricane Andrew hit. The cruise was wonderful. No phones. No newspapers. Lots of wonderful table mates.

We took our second cruise as a cruise tour to Alaska to celebrate our 15th anniversary in 1997. We boarded the Veendam at Vancouver and sailed to Skagway where we began our tour through White Horse, Fairbanks, Denali, to Anchorage. This one hooked us on cruising and we now have 156 cruise days on HAL. LOVE IT

Like a previous poster, my first voyage was on the original Queen Elizabeth. In July of 1968, her final season, we sailed to England – my first visit to a country in which I would eventually study and live for a number of years. Such a magnificent liner. I can close my eyes and feel her now.

Our cabins were on B-Deck, and I remember opening the porthole, sticking out my head and staring down at that great black wall of riveted metal with seawater racing past at the bottom. There were Jaguar sports cars on display in the huge foyer at the top of the 1st class staircase, pure delight to a 15-year-old boy.

I remember much discussion between my parents as to whether we should choose another line for our return voyage (the United States vibrated excessively, we were told, and the France was too modern), so we returned on the Queen, and ran directly into a fierce late summer storm, with rope lines stretching along the public rooms and the North Atlantic washing against our B-Deck portholes.

I've never forgotten the caring attention of the Cunard crew, the stewardesses who helped us through a bout of seasickness, the wonderful dining room waiters (one named Kent, as I recall) who took such care - and an older gentlemen serving tea in the Main Lounge, who asked my brother and me one day, in the most circumspect way, if we were First Class.

Several years later, in Hong Kong, I sailed out on a friend’s boat to view the twisted hulk of what had been the Queen. It broke my heart.

My love affair with ships and the sea, begun in that long ago summer, has never ended, cruising next to Bermuda in the 70s on the Franconia, then encircling the Pacific with Orient Overseas Lines - and continuing on to this day.

Like a previous poster, my first voyage was on the original Queen Elizabeth. In July of 1968, her final season, we sailed to England – my first visit to a country in which I would eventually study and live for a number of years. Such a magnificent liner. I can close my eyes and feel her now.

Our cabins were on B-Deck, and I remember opening the porthole, sticking out my head and staring down at that great black wall of riveted metal with seawater racing past at the bottom. There were Jaguar sports cars on display in the huge foyer at the top of the 1st class staircase, pure delight to a 15-year-old boy.

I remember much discussion between my parents as to whether we should choose another line for our return voyage (the United States vibrated excessively, we were told, and the France was too modern), so we returned on the Queen, and ran directly into a fierce late summer storm, with rope lines stretching along the public rooms and the North Atlantic washing against our B-Deck portholes.

I've never forgotten the caring attention of the Cunard crew, the stewardesses who helped us through a bout of seasickness, the wonderful dining room waiters (one named Kent, as I recall) who took such care - and an older gentlemen serving tea in the Main Lounge, who asked my brother and me one day, in the most circumspect way, if we were First Class.

Several years later, in Hong Kong, I sailed out on a friend’s boat to view the twisted hulk of what had been the Queen. It broke my heart.

My love affair with ships and the sea, begun in that long ago summer, has never ended, cruising next to Bermuda in the 70s on the Franconia, then encircling the Pacific with Orient Overseas Lines - and continuing on to this day.

wow, that brought a tear to my eye, and some memories, my first cruise in 87' was a Greek cruise line, Regent, and the ship -the atlas, , ( her sister ship sank off of south Africa a yr or 2 later,, all safe but the crew got off first,,) the atlas did not give a good impression , the staff seemed to be very angry all the time, except a older bar staff who flirted with my 60 yr. old mom,, he made my mom fell like she was 18 again, a nice memory-- second cruise is where I fell in luv, the old Rotterdam in 88---:D 'perfection :D,, but we wanted to try a really large ship so it was the Norway,, (the old SS France)-- in 89', it was very good, but nothing like my Rotterdam:)-- but when I saw what happened to the Norway, I was very sad with the fire and the way they dragged her to be dismantled :(--these ships do get into your soul-- so the last 13 cruises have been with those dam ships :D

What a wonderful memory! Thank you for sharing that!

Our first cruise was 20 years ago on Norwegian, can't remember the name offhand. It was one of those times that things go wrong at the outset and it multiplies from there.....delayed flight to begin with, then we get on board and I swear we are down in the bilges and I burst into tears when I saw the cabin.

The ship was full and we couldn't change. Next I ate a candy that our TA had sent along with some wine, and broke my front tooth! We sailed out of LA on our way to Mexico and later that night we heard that L.A. had had a big earthquake, and of course, we had a lot of Californians on board who were frantic.

We had asked to be seated at a table for 6 or 8, but were stuck by the kitchen door(it seemed) just the two of us and I felt like crying again! Luckily we were moved the next night to a table of 8 and had wonderful dining companions.

Next our closet started leaking water, pretty scary when you are down in the bowels of the ship and water is coming from somewhere above. The toilets plugged up next, and that took a while to fix!

I ended up really enjoying the cabin, it was quiet and I slept really well.

Took me a while before I had the desire to cruise again, but in May we will be going on our 6th and am so looking forward to it.

... Sailed back four years later on the 16,000 ton Maasdam from Montreal to Southampton with a degree and an American wife after a visit to Expo67 in Montreal. The nine day trip back was described in the log, of which I still have a copy, as 'glassy and smooth'. Great times. We continue to cruise to this day...

The Maasdam became the Stefan Batory of the Polish Ocean Lines in 1969 and continued transatlantic service between Montreal and Southampton (on its way to Gdynia via Rotterdam and sometimes Hamburg). For many years it was the only Atlantic liner sailing between Canada and Europe. We crossed on the charming little Stefan Batory a few times including the final crossing from Montreal to Tilbury in October, 1987. That was the end of regularly-scheduled Atlantic crossings from Montreal. The only remnant of HAL that I could find on the ship was the mattresses which had "NASM" displayed on them. They must have been of good quality to have lasted all those years. :)

My first cruise (and first trip o/s) was onboard Orient Lines Marco Polo to the Antarctic Peninsula in Jan 2005. What an adventure!! On our way back across Drake Passage we blew windows in in one of the dining rooms!! Will never forget that trip but not sure I was hooked straight away as it was another five years before I cruised again... Love the atmosphere on a ship, somewhere new every day but you don't have to keep packing and unpacking your bags!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

First cruise was Disney in 2002. Loved the Disney experience. From there, tried Carnival then took a hiatus from cruising - kids picked RV trip and Costa Rica trip - but we are back for 2015 to Southern Caribbean again. I forgot how much I can learn from these boards!

Romanza was my first cruise in 1969 when I was 24. I beleive it was 9 or 11 thousand tons. My friend aand I went to an agent in Queens ny and asked for the cheapest trip to a warm place over the Xmas holiday. She came back with this 7 day ctuise from Curacao. It included airfare and the whole thing was $300 each. I think we had a cabin below the crew with bunkbeds and a bathroom the size of a phone booth. Being our first cruise we had a ball as we were the only single men on the ship. We wanted to do it the next year but they raised the price to $450 so we went to PR instead. Since then i have done 45 cruises but now with my wife ans still having fun.

Our first cruise was on the Emerald Princess which my wife had to twist my arm to go on,but we enjoyed it so much that I now book all the cruises and our next one will be in the Mediterranean on the new Regal Princess.We really enjoy seeing something different every day that only a cruise can bring.Happy Cruising.