Not Happy With Luggage Tags

Dodger Blue

I was checking in online today for our Jan. 31 Caribbean cruise and discovered that we now have to print out our own luggage tags. This was not the case last April on our last cruise. While it may seem handy to do this, it poses to problems that I see. First, most of us use regular paper in our printers (I really don't want to go out and buy heavier duty paper just for this instance) and the paper can rip easily. Secondly, since I will be flying from the west coast I won't be putting them on until I'm ready to go to the ship. Consequently, I either have to pack or purchase Scotch tape to affix them to my luggage.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

I did not bother to print them for our October cruise. It took a staff member about a minute to write our cabin number on tags and attach them to our bags at the pier. There was no wait for this service. I figure I saved a couple of sheets of paper, a few cents of printer ink, a few feet of clear plastic tape, and a half hour of fiddling around with an unwanted craft project.

When our travel agent gave the the "luggage tags" I folded them and put packing tape on each side - cheaped then laminating with the save result. I used a hole punch and packed some yarn. At the hotel before leaving for the ship I tied on the tags and they worked great. Had to cut them of before returning home.

I did not bother to print them for our October cruise. It took a staff member about a minute to write our cabin number on tags and attach them to our bags at the pier. There was no wait for this service. I figure I saved a couple of sheets of paper, a few cents of printer ink, a few feet of clear plastic tape, and a half hour of fiddling around with an unwanted craft project.

Thanks for all the comments, but I think this is the best idea yet. I, too, don't want to spend time on a silly craft project.

And borrow a stapler at your precruise hotel, at the airport, or the dock. Or get a tag at the dock. It is really not that big of a deal. Should not be a problem for those scores of cruisers who claim to bring the whole kaboddle from duct tape, extension cords, to holiday lights.

And borrow a stapler at your precruise hotel, at the airport, or the dock. Or get a tag at the dock. It is really not that big of a deal. Should not be a problem for those scores of cruisers who claim to bring the whole kaboddle from duct tape, extension cords, to holiday lights.

You forgot the kitchen sink ... :D

Since going to e-docs, Cunard and Princess have been issuing the self-stick bag tags ... like the ones airlines use.

Guess someone in Seattle didn't catch on to that idea. :rolleyes:

Having a blond moment... HOW are they issuing them? By mail? Thanks.

Having a blond moment... HOW are they issuing them? By mail? Thanks.

Yep ;)

Cunard still mails a document wallet, and it includes the tags.

But the "ticket" is just a book ... it's not collected at embarkation, nor is a page removed from it. The rep just scans the barcode, and you're on board.

Think Princess just mails the tags with a welcome aboard letter. I have to ask my friend about the exact setup.

Tomorrow---we embark on the MS Eurodam. It takes two minutes or less to be issued the tags by the baggage handlers at the port. Why waste time printing them unless you are using special transfer options.

Yes we miss the documents and purse and not doing the "dance"but the big bucks savings for Holland America for not having to mail the documents is huge and helps keeping the standards of service maintained.

Just have a writing instrument to label the tags available and your good to go.

Tomorrow---we embark on the MS Eurodam. It takes two minutes or less to be issued the tags by the baggage handlers at the port. Why waste time printing them unless you are using special transfer options.

Yes we miss the documents and purse and not doing the "dance"but the big bucks savings for Holland America for not having to mail the documents is huge and helps keeping the standards of service maintained.

Just have a writing instrument to label the tags available and your good to go.

Have a wonderful cruise. The Eurodam is a beautiful ship with a very attentive and friendly crew. We have enjoyed two cruises on her and would not hesitate to go back again. Say "hello" to Randy, the wine steward for me. Tell him it is one of the two ladies who gave him the Tim Hortons gift card when they reached Canada on the Transatlantic cruise last summer. He is so helpful and friendly and goes out of his way to make you feel welcome.

Back to the subject at hand-----if HAL has a desk at the airport when you arrive, they will have luggage tags for your ship and are happy to hand them out.

Archived