Voyager back home, stuck in Galveston

Pumbaamd

Is there even room for the ship to turn around at the pier? When we sailed on her from Galveston, we backed all the way down the channel and turned right before entering the Gulf. On our return, we turned at the entrance to the channel and backed all the way into the pier.

From the pier the ship sails West towards the Pelican Island bridge and swings around there. With the fog today, a bit of an oops and there goes the bridge....

From the pier the ship sails West towards the Pelican Island bridge and swings around there. With the fog today, a bit of an oops and there goes the bridge....

Thanks, I figured there wasn't room near the pier as we went in reverse for quite a distance before turing around.

When the ship is docked in Galveston, there's some TX law that prohibits the ship from selling their full offering of alcohol. It's something like the ship can only sell alcohol they've purchased from TX (I think it has to do with liquor taxes). Because of this law, the ship only offers a VERY limited variety of beer and spirits. You'll notice on embarkation day each bar will only display the limited alcohols. Once the ship sails into Int'l waters the bars will be stocked as usual.

It was very strange and a bit disappointing not to be able to order my preferred drink of choice (Crown Royal) until the ship sailed, as the liquor on offer was very basic with not much choice.

Strange that Crown Royal would be unavailable due to a Texas availability law. Crown Royal is sold in Texas, therefore they would be able to collect the taxes on it. Maybe its a little more complicated than what is sold in Texas.

Strange that Crown Royal would be unavailable due to a Texas availability law. Crown Royal is sold in Texas, therefore they would be able to collect the taxes on it. Maybe its a little more complicated than what is sold in Texas.

It's not that Crown isn't sold in TX.. the issue is TX law only permits the sale of alcohol that's purchased in TX. RCCL receives their supplies from a central supplier at a much lower price and thus they only purchases a small amount of alcohol in TX so they have something to sell before sailing. They limit the beer choices and alcohol choices on embarkation day.. the only bottles on display are the brands they purchased in TX and presumably paid the TX taxes on.

Texas also allows Texans to bring back only 1 liter pp. If you live in another state you can bring back 2 liters they said, and provisions to pay the tax if you bring back more. No such provision if Texans are over their limit.

I suffer through 46 years of only being allowed to bring back 1 liter into Canada, on;y to move to Texas and get stuck with the same thing. :mad:

I wonder how many people have taken the cruise credit. I am not sure what I would have done in this situation. Sure you're on the ship, nut stuck in port in the fog is not the same as cruising in the gulf in the sun.

Fellow Cruisers on Voyager:

We on the Conquest are so sorry to hear that you are still in Galveston. I don’t know why we were so lucky to leave. Our circumstances were probably different in the port. We have started our cruise, and have dropped Freeport as a port of call (I’ve copied my CCL posting from the CC thread below for you).

All I can say is one day you will be leaving, and we will be the ones who will need to think clearly, and do the right thing, at the right time, as we stay behind. My wife and I hope you can make a good vacation out of whatever options you select. We care. And we hope we’ll have the chance to sail with you, and hear your stories on a future cruise.

Godspeed to Voyager and all who sail with her!

Bob and Donna from Dallas/Ft. Worth

Carnival Conquest in the Gulf, thinking of you

FROM MY LAST CCL THREAD ON CC:

Hi Fellow Cruisers:

Here’s the update from Carnival Conquest as of 1:45 am on Tuesday morning. We cleared the fog later in the afternoon, but the weather here still is not clear. We have mist and average seas. I see from the GPS that we are about 250 miles SE of Galveston, now heading due East, and making about 20 knots.

When we pulled away from the pier at 2:15 pm on Monday, there was no PA announcement. We just started moving. A little while later, the CD announced we are heading out, with the new itinerary to be delivered to our rooms late this afternoon (it was). We felt safe because the Pilot boat was behind us, then in front of us, and all the while close to us. It was foggy as we left, and a hour or two into the Gulf, the sun was clearly visible through the fog. Then the fog returned, and the sky was not so bright.

Here’s the new itinerary from our late afternoon written update:

TUESDAY: At sea

WEDNESDAY: Arrive Nassau at 8 pm

THURSDAY: Leave Nassau at 2:30 pm

FRIDAY: Arrive Key West at 8:30 am, depart at 5:00 pm

SATURDAY: At sea

SUNDAY: Arrive Galveston at 7:45 am

Carnival has offered to post to our Sign and Sail cards a $20 pp credit for missing Freeport. In addition, as many shore excursions as possible will be moved to the new days (that will be a lot of work!).

CRUISER ATMOSPHERE: As soon as we were underway, our feelings were lifted. And over dinner and during karaoke, everyone was very upbeat. Some guests at karaoke asked about Voyager, whom they hoped were able to depart on Monday as well. I did not know about VOS, until I just checked CC’s boards. I read with sadness for our fellow VOS cruisers that they have some stay-or-go-home options, because they could not depart on Monday. I’ll pass on some comments and sympathy, as best as I can, on the VOS thread. The passengers and crew need a break, given all of the changes they have been through after returning to Galveston on Sunday.

I’ll post anything out of the ordinary after today. For now, we’re mentally and physically on a cruise. Our hearts are with our VOS cruisers whom I hope can make good decisions for themselves and their families whether to stay with the ship, and enjoy some vacation.

Blue waters and clear skies to you all. Hope to cruise with you soon.

Bob and Donna from Dallas / Ft. Worth

Carnival Conquest, in the Gulf

A guy just posted to me on the webcam page and said he had just picked up his parents from the ship. They were some of the first ones off. They apparently had taken the offer of the free voucher for a future cruise. They said the lines were quite insane of those accepting the offer. He said 11PM was the deadline for accepting the offer.

Aye, that would be me who posted. It was probably around 7:24pm when I arrived at the port and it must be said it was a less than pleasant drive from Spring to Galveston with the lovely weather we had at the time. When I arrived most of the lights were still off at the port and it was devoid of cars. Around 8pm though my parents had finally gone through their last line and were able to rest in my car for the entertaining trip back to Spring.

Sadly, this was a present to them for their 30th wedding anniversary so spirits were a bit dampened by having to postpone it to some future date.

Here is the latest video from Houston's ABC affiliate.

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/video?id=7171525

If it's true that "misery loves company", then Voyager passengers should be in serious love! From this report, they have LOTS of company in the port and in the ship channel.

Not fun for those still onboard! Our return to Galveston was delayed by fog last year on Voyager, but it it a heck of a lot better to have a return delayed than to sit on board waiting anxiously for departure! I am SO sorry......

When we think of the big picture it is really bad. All types of ships from cargo to cruise ships are either docked and can't get out or out and can't get in. And this is from Galveston all the way to Florida.

In today's economy I wonder if a person can lose their job because they are stuck on a cruise ship, can't get into a port to disembark and make it back home to go back to work.

I only say this because on our last cruise (February 2009 on the Voyager) one of the ladies in our Meet and Mingle found out that her job was no longer there when she got back from her week long cruise. And only because when the company she was working for decided to lay off workers the week she was away they started with the ones who were not on the job that week.

We left Voyager last night. What a mess that place was.....I do NOT understand why there was no communication as to what was going on earlier in the day. People were sooooo upset. I think that if we had just heard something folks would have handled the bad news better.

I will say we opted to take the 100% cruise credit--I could not see the point in more waiting--we already missed Roatan. The RC folks handling this process did a great job in getting people in and out and were friendly about it under what must have been very stressful conditions.

This is the second time (out of two cruises)weather has come into major play in our cruise.....first was Hurricane Wilma. I understand that the weather cannot be controlled but it would be very helpful to have more frequent communication from the Captain. Why this decision was made is beyond me!

I have to agree with the sentiment about the weather....it happens. Not something any of us can control. I do feel terrible for those aboard VOS, as well as the crew. It could have just as easily been any one of us. Looks as if the weather may be clearing. Hopefully they will be able to leave the port and salvage some of their cruse! Stay positive, have faith!

Voyager of the Seas 12-20-2009

Angie,

Hope you don't have a repeat in February.

Thanks Colleen. Let's get together after the holidays!

Angie

:DWe keep saying that! We visited freinds down Devils Back Bone the other night and had horrible fog to drive home in. I can't imagine having to drive something like the Voyager in the fog..... the Tahoe was bad enough. Bob's back is bad, not sure if we will make our January 11 cruise on the Radiance. We go to a pain management doctor tomorrow. I have had 9256 booked for over a year, I think 1 1/2 years.

Well, the puzzlement as to why Conquest got out and Voyager didn't we have come to believe is this. If you read Bobstack's and Vauxhallgirl's posts, Carnival did not let folks off the ship during the fog time so her manifest was complete when that small window appeared and she took it and got out. Vger had let off passies with shore leave to eat/shop in Galveston, so they could not leave during the small clearing. That's got to be it.

The current situation is the ship just does not have enough revenue aboard to make it worth while to sail, I bet she does not go anywhere until Sunday. Everyone is saying more than half the passies got off and went home with their vouchers. We'll wait and see...a sad end to a cruise I'm sure some had planned for well over a year, but that's the breaks when you cruise, you can't mess with mother nature. Sorry pals...but start planning that next cruise...IN THE SPRING!:)

In fact, that's probably why she isn't gone now. Weather is fine to leave as I see it. But they were talking about letting people go into hotels for the night last night and maybe that again is why she is still here, they are trying to get those who want to go and those who don't taken care of...a mess, but o well.

BTW I've heard from our pier co-ordinator and she is thoroughly exhausted, was in at 4:00 am and home at 11:00pm, but she didn't tell me any details! I feel for the whole pier staff, they're probably all waxed and then have to come in again today!

We left Voyager last night. What a mess that place was.....I do NOT understand why there was no communication as to what was going on earlier in the day. People were sooooo upset. I think that if we had just heard something folks would have handled the bad news better.

I will say we opted to take the 100% cruise credit--I could not see the point in more waiting--we already missed Roatan. The RC folks handling this process did a great job in getting people in and out and were friendly about it under what must have been very stressful conditions.

This is the second time (out of two cruises)weather has come into major play in our cruise.....first was Hurricane Wilma. I understand that the weather cannot be controlled but it would be very helpful to have more frequent communication from the Captain. Why this decision was made is beyond me!

The Captain is at the mercy of the Port Authorities. He can't move the ship or plan anything until he is given information and permission. I would think he is even more frustrated than the passengers. His ship is losing money for the company while it sits still. They can't make money when tied at a pier. Sorry your expierence with cruising has been bad. I can relate, I had a couple of ski trips planned in the month of January that were cut short by snow. Almost got snowed in at Lake Tahoe, flights were cancelled in Reno, it took forever for us to get home on a different carrier.

Glad you got your certificate for a next cruise. Hope your luck is better in the future.

I'm seeing a lot of small ship traffic/barge traffic in the channel now which is usually a good sign that things are open for business. The better question will be whether or not the ship will actually be profitable doing a 5 day cruise to Mexico or not and what decision RCCL makes about sailing especially since so many people have left.

I feel for those on Voyager right now and those who left yesterday.

Thanks Colleen. Let's get together after the holidays!

Angie

:DWe keep saying that! We visited freinds down Devils Back Bone the other night and had horrible fog to drive home in. I can't imagine having to drive something like the Voyager in the fog..... the Tahoe was bad enough. Bob's back is bad, not sure if we will make our January 11 cruise on the Radiance. We go to a pain management doctor tomorrow. I have had 9256 booked for over a year, I think 1 1/2 years.

Love to see you on our cruise in Feb. Planning on doing the Belize run next year. Email me.

Just heard from Miss Greenjeans again and she said the window yesterday was only enough time for Conquest to get out. The port authority gave them clearance to depart and then the fog closed in and Vger was out again! Darn it! She was still up at 2:00 last night, I feel so sorry for them. She will head into work again probably this morning. She didn't mention what VOS will do.

Archived