Veendam 'too big' to get into St Georges, Bermuda

Goldryder

Eliminate St. George off the itinerary all together. Make it into a 6 night cruise with 3 nights in Hamilton. This way all partaking won't get screwed out of St. George if the seas are to rough to load the tender and end up get stuck on the ship playing shuffle board.

If they could do 3 nights in Hamilton, why not 4 and just leave the itinerary at 7 nights.

I'm with you.

I don't care if I have to swim into St George's, I'm still going. ;)

I am so crazy about St George's. I would book a cruise just to take me there. Bermuda. Ah. Perfect. It would be so great. This snow is about to fly here, wowza, it's coming. Have a great night everyone. I totally forgot to grocery shop.:) Haha. Kind of funny if you think about it.

I would rather tender and spend more time in Bermuda!

That is really the issue. If the sea's are to rough their won't be any tendering at all and everybody will have to stay on the ship and lose the day. So then you will be spending less time in Bermuda and more looking at it from a distance.

My travel agent is actually on the Ruby Princess right now. She has been on board since Thursday. She emailed me and said the sea's are too rough to tender and she has been stuck on the ship all this time.

If they could do 3 nights in Hamilton, why not 4 and just leave the itinerary at 7 nights.

My feelings exactly---Shortening it to six days would add extra cost for those, like us, who have already booked non-refundable flights. That is probably the only thing at this point that is preventing us from cancelling this cruise.

After reading the pros and cons (mostly cons) on another thread about the lanai cabins I have asked our TA to see about getting us an aft balcony if there are any available at this point. I really do not want to spend our vacation in confrontatation with those who would use our reserved chairs. Much better to have our own "restricted access" chairs.

Eliminate St. George off the itinerary all together. Make it into a 6 night cruise with 3 nights in Hamilton. This way all partaking won't get screwed out of St. George if the seas are to rough to load the tender and end up get stuck on the ship playing shuffle board.

I follow you and the benefit of gaurateed "come and go as you you please" is a great idea.

Another Idea would be for the Tendering option at St.George to be primary and if the forecast does not look good that day-continue on to Hamilton.

This happened to us in '08 on the Dream when it was too windy for the cut,we docked in Hamilton the whole time. Hamilton has three berths and probably always has a free berth these days. How does that float with you?

Here's the Cruise ship schedule bor BDA 2010 it's a pdf file ,hope it works: http://www.rccbermuda.bm/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_2_994_282_1765_43/http%3B/ptpublisher.gov.bm%3B7087/publishedcontent/publish/ministry_of_tourism_and_transport/marine_and_ports/dept___marine_and_ports___new_links/articles/2010_draft_cruise_ship_schedule__updated_november_20th__2.pdf

This happened to us in '08 on the Dream when it was too windy for the cut,we docked in Hamilton the whole time. Hamilton has three berths and probably always has a free berth these days. How does that float with you?

But that's what usually happens if it's too rough to get thru the Town Cut, right? :confused:

I've read a few instances where this happened, and the ship's company had no choice but to head to Hamilton. They got an extra day there ... no biggie.

But that's what usually happens if it's too rough to get thru the Town Cut, right? :confused:

I've read a few instances where this happened, and the ship's company had no choice but to head to Hamilton. They got an extra day there ... no biggie.

It was such a bad day when it happened-Hamilton was almost a no-go.I love St.Geo but Hamilton is fine.Keep in mind that it's a piece of cake to get to St.Geo on the bus and dirt cheap too!

The day we diverted to Ham. there was quite a blow,We had to bang a turn at a bouy near Spanish Point so tight that we dumped half the water out of the pools.When we finally got into Ham. harbour we caught sight of Richard Branson's Virgin Money tied up at the Yacht Club.She was attempting the fastest sail crossing NY/England but got beat up so bad she had to divert to BDA. That was something.

It was such a bad day when it happened-Hamilton was almost a no-go.I love St.Geo but Hamilton is fine.Keep in mind that it's a piece of cake to get to St.Geo on the bus and dirt cheap too!

The day we diverted to Ham. there was quite a blow,We had to bang a turn at a bouy near Spanish Point so tight that we dumped half the water out of the pools.When we finally got into Ham. harbour we caught sight of Richard Branson's Virgin Money tied up at the Yacht Club.She was attempting the fastest sail crossing NY/England but got beat up so bad she had to divert to BDA. That was something.

Yessir ...

The transport system on the island is one the best, and I wouldn't mind doing the bus or ferry to St G. Since you're a frequent visitor, maybe one of these days I'll see you down there. ;)

Guest LoveMyBoxer
That is really the issue. If the sea's are to rough their won't be any tendering at all and everybody will have to stay on the ship and lose the day. So then you will be spending less time in Bermuda and more looking at it from a distance.

My travel agent is actually on the Ruby Princess right now. She has been on board since Thursday. She emailed me and said the sea's are too rough to tender and she has been stuck on the ship all this time.

I still would think it would be better to spend time on the Veendam than on the Dawn! The fact that the Veendam is a smaller & clasier ship is a plus! We all (I presume) sail, because we love the Ocean, so a little extra time at sea is no big deal. Over the years on different ships, we have been diverted, stayed late, etc., but it's the whole ship/ocean experience that really is great. If I wanted to spend time on an Island, I would fly! We wanted extra time in St. Maarteen and we flew ... we wanted extra time in Bermuda, and we flew. We sail because we love the Sea and the ships. Like everyone else, we love seeing the town crier when we go through the Cut, however, this will not spoil our cruise. We LOVE the fact that HAL is sailing to Berrmuda. We have been limited so such poor options!

Yessir ...

The transport system on the island is one the best, and I wouldn't mind doing the bus or ferry to St G. Since you're a frequent visitor, maybe one of these days I'll see you down there. ;)

I'm on for 8/15 and if you're on the same,We'll have a swizzle and a cigar!lol

The bus terminal is a few blocks north of Front St. and busses spider out from there to all destinations on the Island.Last time we were there whe hopped one bus to Flatts to see the aquarium/Zoo it was a Breeze.A little monkey(Golden Lion Tamarind)tried to swipe my camera when I tried to get a close shot.We were laughing hystercaly and wondered how many personal items he had socked away in his little cave.

Before my son was born,we always rented a moped and that was a great way to see BDA.Now that mopeds are out(wife does not drive them),busses are really the way to go.They're clean,comfortable,timely,and I think you can get a pass for the week for cheap.

Hi there, LoveMyBoxer

You said it all.

It's a good thing that HAL has returned to it's Bermuda run.

Since Home Lines became extinct, the options went down the loo.

"X" was good, but it lacked the atmosphere that HAL (and Cunard) has.

And NCL has seen better days. :(

It's time for a major overhaul of that company.

It is interesting to note that in conversations with 2 Sr Crew members on the Dawn, both knew the Veendam was not able to dock in St George because of it size. These conversations were held before it became public...

I was very surprised when it was announced that the Veendam was docking in St. George when I checked her specs but I figured they must have done the math, checked the charts, and that a cruise line with years of experience knew what they were doing. I hope they did not fudge about docking to sell the cruises.

I still would think it would be better to spend time on the Veendam than on the Dawn! The fact that the Veendam is a smaller & clasier ship is a plus! We all (I presume) sail, because we love the Ocean, so a little extra time at sea is no big deal. Over the years on different ships, we have been diverted, stayed late, etc., but it's the whole ship/ocean experience that really is great. If I wanted to spend time on an Island, I would fly! We wanted extra time in St. Maarteen and we flew ... we wanted extra time in Bermuda, and we flew. We sail because we love the Sea and the ships. Like everyone else, we love seeing the town crier when we go through the Cut, however, this will not spoil our cruise. We LOVE the fact that HAL is sailing to Berrmuda. We have been limited so such poor options!

I enjoy cruising as well. But that is not why I am going to Bermuda by ship. But their is destination involved. I've never been to Bermuda, so I would like to spend as much time as the itinerary stated we would. I don't want to lose a day if the sea is too rough for tendering. I have a lot of family members that were planning on going. This has been in the makings for quite some time. It is very hard for all of us to get together, and even harder to agree on what to do. Since we have young, old and disabled family members going, we figured this would be the best vacation for all involved. If it were just my wife and I, we probably would have flown. But I have at least a dozen other people to deal with. Some are booked, and some were in the process of getting ready to book. So this causes problems for my disabled and elderly family members, some who physically can't stand in a tender line while the ferry loads 700 passengers. And then to do it again on the way back.

The convenience of being docked in St. George was a big part of this cruise. Everybody could come and go as they please. And some of us night owls would be able to go into town for a little nightlife. It gave everyone the flexibilty that we all indivdually desired.

One thing that maybe some are aware of. This would mean 3 or 4 tender trips. The first day in St. George would require 2 tender trips. And the second day would require at least one tender trip into St. George. Most of us would just meet up with the ship later on that day when it re-positions to Hamilton. But some wanted to be aboard for the scenic ride. So if they had intentions of going into town for a few hours that morning before the ship leaves, then they have to deal with the tendering once again to get back.

I've heard rumors that the tender ride is close to 40 minutes each way, plus the time it will take to load and unload the 700 passengers. That easily sounds like a total of 90 minutes each way.

This might not be a problem for some, but for my large group it is turning into one.

Guest LoveMyBoxer
I enjoy cruising as well. But that is not why I am going to Bermuda by ship. But their is destination involved. I've never been to Bermuda, so I would like to spend as much time as the itinerary stated we would. I don't want to lose a day if the sea is too rough for tendering. I have a lot of family members that were planning on going. This has been in the makings for quite some time. It is very hard for all of us to get together, and even harder to agree on what to do. Since we have young, old and disabled family members going, we figured this would be the best vacation for all involved. If it were just my wife and I, we probably would have flown. But I have at least a dozen other people to deal with. Some are booked, and some were in the process of getting ready to book. So this causes problems for my disabled and elderly family members, some who physically can't stand in a tender line while the ferry loads 700 passengers. And then to do it again on the way back.

The convenience of being docked in St. George was a big part of this cruise. Everybody could come and go as they please. And some of us night owls would be able to go into town for a little nightlife. It gave everyone the flexibilty that we all indivdually desired.

One thing that maybe some are aware of. This would mean 3 or 4 tender trips. The first day in St. George would require 2 tender trips. And the second day would require at least one tender trip into St. George. Most of us would just meet up with the ship later on that day when it re-positions to Hamilton. But some wanted to be aboard for the scenic ride. So if they had intentions of going into town for a few hours that morning before the ship leaves, then they have to deal with the tendering once again to get back.

I've heard rumors that the tender ride is close to 40 minutes each way, plus the time it will take to load and unload the 700 passengers. That easily sounds like a total of 90 minutes each way.

This might not be a problem for some, but for my large group it is turning into one.

If you cruise, you know that the port is not a "given". Due to weather and other factors, things change. While I understand your concerns, even if you choose a different cruise ship, it still may not guarantee that you will dock in Bermuda. If you are on CC and read other threads, then you will understand that things change. Cruising means you have to go with the flow. We have stayed in Bermuda an extra day and have left Bermuda early. We have missed ports, this is the "nature" of crusing. If you want to guarantee that you will dock in Bermuda, then any ship that docks in Dockyard is your calling, and that it itself may also not be a guarantee.

Guest LoveMyBoxer

As an after thought, one year we had to leave Bermuda a day early and we went to Martha's Vinyard. We ended up tendering to Marthat's Vineyard. Were we happy when it happnened, no. Did we have a good time, Yes. We had the biggest shrimp, which by the way get bigger every year, ever. We took a cab to Gay Head, which at the time we thought, where the heck??? But it was beautiful, and we would never have seen it had we not been diverted. Sometime things happen for a reason, go with the flow!

If you cruise, you know that the port is not a "given". Due to weather and other factors, things change. While I understand your concerns, even if you choose a different cruise ship, it still may not guarantee that you will dock in Bermuda. If you are on CC and read other threads, then you will understand that things change. Cruising means you have to go with the flow. We have stayed in Bermuda an extra day and have left Bermuda early. We have missed ports, this is the "nature" of crusing. If you want to guarantee that you will dock in Bermuda, then any ship that docks in Dockyard is your calling, and that it itself may also not be a guarantee.

I've never missed a port because we couldn't dock like we were suppose to. Come to think of it, I've never missed a scheduled port. Granted that possibility can happen. But I think odds are much greater that a port can be missed because the weather put a kabosh on tendering. I am not looking for a 100% guarantee. But when you advertize a ship is going to be docked at a particular location, and then you have to change it to tendering becuase your calculations were wrong................blah blah blah. It is just not easy to swallow. Get your facts and calculations right before you start selling the cruise.

Guest LoveMyBoxer
I've never missed a port because we couldn't dock like we were suppose to. Come to think of it, I've never missed a scheduled port. Granted that possibility can happen. But I think odds are much greater that a port can be missed because the weather put a kabosh on tendering. I am not looking for a 100% guarantee. But when you advertize a ship is going to be docked at a particular location, and then you have to change it to tendering becuase your calculations were wrong................blah blah blah. It is just not easy to swallow. Get your facts and calculations right before you start selling the cruise.

I am not disagreeing with anything you said. Please be asssured that if we don't go into St. Georges it will be a great dissapointemnt. However, last week the new Carnival Dream could not dock in San Juan because of miscalculations with the pier. This stuff happens all the time, believe me. When stuff happens, yes I am dissapointed, but then there is nothing you can do and you have to make the best of it. If you think that another ship will serve you and your family and friends better, then by all means go for it. It's just that when you sail, "stuff" happens and you have to go with the flow and make the best you can of your cruise.

Leaving the "cut" in July '08 in good conditions.Keep in mind Veen's got a few more feet on each side.And to respond to the question of other "S"class visits to St.Geo-I've searched my memory and the internet and I got NADA!

1928656494_LeavingthecutontheDream.jpg.7fd3f8e180ab8c6ded5ad42d88b7902b.jpg

Leaving the "cut" in July '08 in good conditions.Keep in mind Veen's got a few more feet on each side.And to respond to the question of other "S"class visits to St.Geo-I've searched my memory and the internet and I got NADA!

According to the original article in the Bermuda Sun. The main issue seems to be the draft and a concern that she will hit bottom. Not a good thing.......lol

I don't pretend to be any sort of 'expert' but I cannot recall an "S" Class ship having docked in St. Georges. Thank you for the search..... I really hope someone can establish if it has happened.

Prinsendam (Topsham)..... Do you recall?

According to the original article in the Bermuda Sun. The main issue seems to be the draft and a concern that she will hit bottom. Not a good thing.......lol

The article does mention bottom clearance but we're all trying to figure out what that is.I have to be honest,I'm a quasi maritime historian-studied ships and disasters since I was a kid.In my opinion,Bermuda itself is unsure.One thing I do know for sure is that,for a ship transiting the "cut" it must be moving at a good clip(maybe 10 knots)in order to maintain steerage.The pilot gets aboard while the ship is in deep water and makes sure the ship has proper speed and is in alignment.If the ship is yawing(crabbing),she's gonna hit.That's what winds do to a ship and that would not be allowed.

To be honest,I really don't know any tighter passage in the western hemisphere where ships are moving that fast -If anybody knows of one let us know.

The article does mention bottom clearance but we're all trying to figure out what that is.I have to be honest,I'm a quasi maritime historian-studied ships and disasters since I was a kid.In my opinion,Bermuda itself is unsure.One thing I do know for sure is that,for a ship transiting the "cut" it must be moving at a good clip(maybe 10 knots)in order to maintain steerage.The pilot gets aboard while the ship is in deep water and makes sure the ship has proper speed and is in alignment.If the ship is yawing(crabbing),she's gonna hit.That's what winds do to a ship and that would not be allowed.

To be honest,I really don't know any tighter passage in the western hemisphere where ships are moving that fast -If anybody knows of one let us know.

When you say "Bermuda itself is unsure", what do you mean? They are not sure if the Veendams draft is too deep? Or that are not sure that the ship can navigate the passage?

At some point HAL didn't feel it was a problem. I just want to know what changed between then and now. The "cut" was always present and wasn't a secret.

Anyway, how is the snow in Floral Park? These are the days that I wish I was a apartment dweller. Now as a homeowner I have to clear the snow myself. At least my snowblower started up without a problem and will be ready for the morning.

Archived