Having problems with my Inch of Gold jewelery

Nadinest

I bought the Inch of Gold jewelery. It is 18 K gold layered. We heard over and over there is warranty on anything bought on board. Well it's been about 6 weeks since i bought the necklace and it is starting to tarnish. I did wrote Carnival and they sent me the info for the company who sells things on the ship.

Just wondering if anyone has had trouble with tarnishing of the jewelery and did you get happy results. Will they refund your money, send another chain??? I hope I do not have to fight to get this taken care of.

I bought the Inch of Gold jewelery. It is 18 K gold layered. We heard over and over there is warranty on anything bought on board. Well it's been about 6 weeks since i bought the necklace and it is starting to tarnish. I did wrote Carnival and they sent me the info for the company who sells things on the ship.

Just wondering if anyone has had trouble with tarnishing of the jewelery and did you get happy results. Will they refund your money, send another chain??? I hope I do not have to fight to get this taken care of.

I have heard this same issue over and over again here at cruise critic over the years. IMHO, I have bought nicer 18K gold filled jewelry at the local mall for less money and it still looks like new even years after wearing it.

I hope you don't have a fight either, but......:cool:

I bought one of the heavy gold plated chains a long time ago on a different cruise. After wearing it constantly for a few months, the chain lost its gleam and the coating became rough and pitted. I can't remember if my neck turned green. We tossed it out.

This stuff is not gold and is not intended for constant wearing.

I have heard a lot of people say they have taken their tarnished or otherwise damaged chains on the next cruise they took and they were all replaced. I would assume that contacting the company would yield the same results.

I think this stuff is great if you want a unique looking chain for occasional use.

We bought a chain and bracelet on one of our cruises, and in no time it did the same thing. It is junk, and not worth your time to even try to get them to replace it. It will only do the same thing all over again. When we go on a cruise now and pass by people buying the chains, we just say poor people are being taken for suckers just like we did. :(

I have bought the inch of gold for anklets on a couple cruises. I have put them on after they send them to my cabin and they stay on my leg forever. I have never had one tarnish but I did loose a couple dolphins on one after almost 2 years of constant wear. I think for anklets they are a great deal. I have never been able to keep an anklet this long. I even leave it on under socks in the winter.

Sorry, Carnival went way out with this. JUNK, JUNK, JUNK!!!!! Have not and will not ever buy again!!!! Even the ones that do the sales know it is not worth the price paid. They replaced mine but told me it will do the samething over time. Yes, they will replace with the same thing!!!!

Carnival is not the only line that sells this junk. The fact they sell if off of rolls should tell you something. Of course it tarnishes, it's not solid gold. The very, very thin layers of gold wear off easily. It's not even worth what you pay for it. You can buy 10K gold for not much more that will never tarnish.

Here is the name of the company and address....

simply contact them and a refund or replacement is YOUR choice for up to a year.

I have found with the inch of gold (since it is simply gold layered) that if you do with smaller chains...they last longer.

Starboard Cruise Services

Customer Service Department

8034 N. W. 14th Street

Miami, Fl. 33126

1-800-540-4785

Just call the 1-800 number and they will direct you from there.....

I sent a watch back and got a full refund after having it for 9 months when a minute hand broke.....

Take it with you next cruise.. They will usually make good on it.

Keep in mind that this is NOT gold. It electroplated...not solid - and depending upon your own body, how much you wear it, where you wear it and what it is subjected to, sooner or later the "gold" will wear off.

It's fun to buy that stuff....but it should not be looked at as "fine jewelry"...it's more junk or costume jewelry.

I have a couple of nice looking "bling" rings I bought with "sapphires and diamond" (translate CZ) and I love them....but, I don't plan on them lasting more that a few years....

There is a kiosk in every mall in America that sells the same stuff. Next time, if you must buy this stuff, buy it locally so that it is much more convenient to exchange it. My wife used to work at one of these places in the mall over 20 years ago, and she says that they spent most of the day doing exchanges. My God, it comes on 100 foot rolls, how great could it be?? My wife made me one back when she worked there, and it all flaked off within a couple of months. In it's defense, the chain (now with a glow in the dark green patina) has been holding up a dart board in my garage for over 15 years. I've been really please with it. :D

My wife purchased a bracelet that lasted awhile until we went into the ocean for a swim.

It then detiereated and we saved it until our next cruise to get it replaced. We got a replacement and were questioned about the normal use and I said take care of the guarantee and then we will add commentary. They replaced it without a smile, and then I told them what happened. He said of course you should not wear it in salt water. First time I heard so ask what changes the metal ?? before your purchase. I've seen the product on every cruise, so it is a great excuse to get it replaced each time, just for the junk of it!!

I have bought the Inch of Gold necklaces, but I have the silver stuff, not gold. I know from past experiences that the gold will definitely tarnish. The silver, on the other hand, has held up beautifully, and I have not had any problems with it.

Guest bahamamama1

I really like mine, I got a gold (plated) chain with the ship charm and a free bracelet. I have no problems but then again I dont wear it all that much...

What I DO wear nonstop is a real .925 silver chain with 2 Mayan Cartushes (SP?) one with my name in Mayan letters and one with my grand daughters name.. I never take it off and it looks so nice and I get a lot of compliments. I got it at one of the little shops outside the Tulum Ruins & the chain was only $20. The cartushes were @ $45 each; plus I got 2 more - one for each of my daughters for Christmas presents but they havent seen them yet

Guest bahamamama1
They've always replaced or repaired mine (no charge) the next time I'm on board. :)

Cindy

and yet another excuse to cruise..

"I ... uh... have to fix my necklace .. yeah, that's it..." ;)

Archived