Do you let your kids sign themselves out of camp?

hlb76

I was just wondering what opinions are for letting your kids sign themselves out of camp. I sure hope not t open a can of worms here.

Out first cruise I let my oldest who was 9 at the time sign him self out. He was very mature for his age and had his head on straight. We where also traveling with friends so we made the two boys use the buddy system. So that was extra piece of mind.

My youngest is now old enough to sign himself out and says he wants that privilege. He does not have the smarts my oldest has. Dont get me wrong he is no dummy. We have no one his age traveling with us this time. His older brother will be in a different camp.

I dont force my kids to go to camp sometimes they like to just for something different to do or meet other kids. I love to sit in a chair and read for hours on sea days I try to sit by the pool so we watch them but after so long that gets boring for them. So they do like the change and activities.

I also understand if there is nothing fun for them nor anyone they click with camp could be very boring. So I hate for them to be trapped there. I dont want to have to run and check on them every 30 mins to make sure they are having fun. So I am not opposed to having them sign themsleves out. I just dont care for them to run around the ship alone trying to find us. I was just wondering what others have done in this case.

Walkie talkies are an option but they can be annoying to other passengers.

Any suggestions please let me know.

Sorry your kids are an interference to your enjoyment. My kids were not allowed to roam around on their own at such an early age. A ship is just like any small city. All types of people on it. If I just wanted to sit and read I woud leave the kids at home with mom or a trusted family member.

a wee bit harsh are we........

My point is not at all that we dont want to spend time with the kids. We bring them with on 99% of our vacations just so we can enjoy things together.

My only point is being it is there vacation too if they want to go to camp to meet some other kids and enjoy some activities so be it. If they want to hang with us or do what ever even better. We all enjoy vacations for the family time as well as meeting new ppl and trying new things. My oldest has meet ppl at camp that he still talks to. I think its faboulus.

Our first cruise they where both in camp a lot. There choice of course. My little guy would cry when we picked him up and rush through breakfast so he could go back. He LOVED it. I did not mind the little bit of alone time either. The hubby and I dont get much of it.

Our last 2 couple of cruises they went to camp once did not enjoy it so we spent the whole vacation hanging out by the pool; playing mini golf etc. This year they have both expressed interest already in wanting to try camp again. I have ZERO issue with them trying it. If they dont go I have ZERO issue chilling with them either.

I just dont care to force them to go. If they want to go and enjoy it great. If they try to go and are not having a good time I will feel bad that thet tried. I know the little guys the parents get beepers but they dont do it for the bigger kids. I am just trying to see what has worked for other families when there kids find out camp was not exciting for them.

I know the ship is comparable to a small city with many more hazards. That is why I was asking for opinions on what others have done. I am not one to let my kids run wild and ride elevators or what have you. My kids are both well behaved and know right from wrong. We live in a small town but still dont know 1/2 the ppl that live here that does not stop me from letting the kids go to the park or walk to school alone either. I know there is not much of a comparison but just saying......

I want us all to have a good time! Isn't that what vacations are for.

We did not let them sign them self out for a long time. But as they got older

there in age groups they can do actives if they can not. Ie treasure hunt on

the ship.

We have radios setup so they can use it "in a emergency only"

They are NEVER allowed to be alone. They must be with their sibling

or a friend/family we maybe cruising with.

If they sign them selves out they must go directly to the room and leave us

3m note on the mirror on where they are at. We do like wize.... We discus

this each morning and at meals on what the plan is. So we know where

they plan on being and we check in on them.

We have told them if ONLY once they don't follow the rules they will be place

back on lockdown and they know I will without any hesitation.

It depends on everyones own child and his/her responsibility level.

That was sort of my plan if you are having a bad time or what have you they could go to the room only. I don't like them being alone on the ship even if it to run up to use the slide or something like that. My oldest gets quite annoyed at this with me. Teenagers you know.

Sticky notes are AWESOME we use them often on the ship. Then if split up to do different things we always go back to the room to check in.

I wish using cell phones where not so expensive on the ship. All 4 of us have them and we use texting to check in constantly even if we get split up at the grocery store.

I'm sure we will get a feel of what to do once we get on board. The kids will prob try camp the first sea day and know from there if its something they want to pursue more or not. I like they way they split age groups but its hard for me as the parent as they will be split up.

I totally understand you wanting your children and yourself to have fun on this cruise! I know for us--a family vacation involves everyone having a good time.

On our first cruise our youngest tried the 12 year old group and it was not for him. He was (and still is) very quiet! He ended up hanging out with us most of the time and with some friends we meet on our roll call-who had a 13 year old boy. (Check out the roll call and you may find some friends even before you leave home!!) Those two boys were expected to let us know where they were headed at all times. They played basketball, mini golf, lots of the on board games, and in fact, each won a ship on a stick for a game they participated in.

I do wish there was some way that the Camp could let a parent know when and if a child wants to check him/her self out. Maybe a walkie would be a good idea and it would be used only in event your child leaves CC. Have a great time!!

My grandson who started cruising once a year with me when he was 8 always signed himself out at the age it was permitted.

I think it all depends upon the child....and only the parents would know that.

I agree my son will be 9 on our next cruise but I wont let him sign himself out, its mor me being over protective the him not being mature enough. Hes my only 1.

I was just wondering what opinions are for letting your kids sign themselves out of camp. I sure hope not t open a can of worms here.

my daughter isn't old enough to sign herself out, but at time she was with the age group of those who could (later at night) and there was a whole to do TWICE (with the same kid) where the parents couldn't find the kid and it ended up into a panicked (aparently... it was late, and i was tired. i wasn't hanging around to listen, and after the first time, i just thought to myself how rediculous they were to allow this girl to continue the privelege) search for the kid, who eventually turned up but not without making her parents and those travelling with her, as well as the club workers and the various staff on walkie talkies looking for her and the gang of kids she was with.

if you think you boy is mature enough to handle the responsibility, go for it. you're clearly doubting yourself though, so maybe he's not ready this time and next time he may be.

I let my son sign himself in and out, never gave it a thought. He had rules and procedures to follow, which included letting me or his dad know where he was at ALL times. He had a walkie talkie. Were they annoying to other passengers? Dunno, no one complained, and we tried to be polite. Lots of passengers used them and it didn't bother me, either, so I don't know about that. It worked out just fine. My son never abused the privilege, and believe me, he KNEW it was a privilege that could and would be taken away with the slightest screw up.

As for you, you can only do what you're comfortable doing.

Out first cruise I let my oldest who was 9 at the time sign him self out. He was very mature for his age and had his head on straight. We where also traveling with friends so we made the two boys use the buddy system. So that was extra piece of mind.

My youngest is now old enough to sign himself out and says he wants that privilege. He does not have the smarts my oldest has. Don't get me wrong he is no dummy. We have no one his age traveling with us this time. His older brother will be in a different camp.

I don't force my kids to go to camp sometimes they like to just for something different to do or meet other kids. I love to sit in a chair and read for hours on sea days I try to sit by the pool so we watch them but after so long that gets boring for them. So they do like the change and activities.

I also understand if there is nothing fun for them nor anyone they click with camp could be very boring. So I hate for them to be trapped there. I don't want to have to run and check on them every 30 Min's to make sure they are having fun. So I am not opposed to having them sign themselves out. I just don't care for them to run around the ship alone trying to find us. I was just wondering what others have done in this case.

Walkie talkies are an option but they can be annoying to other passengers.

Any suggestions please let me know.

If they sign themselves out, lets say with a new friend they have met in Camp Carnival, then how will you know what they are doing? That is the part I would be worried about, not so much him signing himself out to go back to your room or to meet up with family members, but to sign out with new friends that neither of you know and then that is when mischief starts.

When I was on the Paradise last year, some boys had signed themselves out of Camp Carnival and were on a rampage, they tore apart my electric scooter cart to the point I could not use it, then were up on the top floor of the atrium dropping ice cubes on the entertainers below and they were scratching the walls with some sharp object. Well they got caught because of the security cameras and when the parents were confronted, do you know what both sets of parents said, "This can't be true, my kids would never do anything like that, they are good kids, they know right from wrong, they have always made mature decisions before, so there is no way that they did this and I will not believe that they would do anything like this." I could not believe my ears, these parents just did not want to accept that their boys could get into trouble, even after seeing all of the security tapes, these 2 sets of parents did not accept the responsibility of their kids actions. Since both families refused to accept the responsibility of what their boys did, the ship put them off at the first port and they had to find another way home. They refused to have my scooter repaired, so I had the expense of getting another one.

Please do not take me wrong, but just make sure that you know what your kids are doing at all times, and make sure you know who they are having fun with, because like one father that I had to deal with said this to me and the security officer, "I don't know what all of the hullabaloo is about, they are young boys and boy will be boys, and these pranks are normal, so just ignore them and let them be normal boys." I asked him, "Are you telling me that destroying a $3,000.00 scooter, destroying the ships murals, normal behavior, and then on top of it, you yourself sir are not taking responsibility for your son's normal boy behavior. Sir to be honest it is criminal behavior." and I then left there because I was so furious,

All I am asking is that parents please know what your kids are doing all the time, that way you will have have fun and so will your boys.

I have three kids, now ages 13, 11 and 10. We go on at least 1 cruise / year so they have significant experience being onboard a ship. We believe that the two oldest girls are very mature for their ages. Even so, we did not allow our girls to sign themselves out until they reached 10. This January will be the 1st year my son will be allowed to do so.

We have several very strict rules that must be followed that our kids fully understand. First, the kids are continually reminded that checking themselves in and out of camp is a priviledge, not a right. Second, we always let our kids know generally where an adult will be (we usually travel with grandparents as well as my wife and I so there are options) when they go to camp. Third, the kids are told what time they have to "check-in" if they sign themselves out (ie getting ready for dinner, meet for lunch on deck, etc.). Finally, if they get into any mischief, the priviledge will be revoked.

If according to Carnival's rules he is allowed to sign himself in and out, then it's up to you what you want him to do.

My girls will be 14 and 16 when they cruise for the first time. I understand they will want to wander on their own, and with the friends they meet on board. They also know that eyes are on them where ever they go, and that cabins of friends are strictly off limits. They will also know where we will be for the morning, and that they must check in before lunch..if only just to say 'hi'. Then they will know our game plan for the afternoon. Dinner is a non option..they will join us. Then they can do their thing for the night in the club if they want, or they can join us at the shows.

Bottom line is you have to be comfortable with your decision.

When I was on the Paradise last year, some boys had signed themselves out of Camp Carnival and were on a rampage, they tore apart my electric scooter cart to the point I could not use it, then were up on the top floor of the atrium dropping ice cubes on the entertainers below and they were scratching the walls with some sharp object. Well they got caught because of the security cameras and when the parents were confronted, do you know what both sets of parents said, "This can't be true, my kids would never do anything like that, they are good kids, they know right from wrong, they have always made mature decisions before, so there is no way that they did this and I will not believe that they would do anything like this." I could not believe my ears, these parents just did not want to accept that their boys could get into trouble, even after seeing all of the security tapes, these 2 sets of parents did not accept the responsibility of their kids actions. Since both families refused to accept the responsibility of what their boys did, the ship put them off at the first port and they had to find another way home. They refused to have my scooter repaired, so I had the expense of getting another one.

Please do not take me wrong, but just make sure that you know what your kids are doing at all times, and make sure you know who they are having fun with, because like one father that I had to deal with said this to me and the security officer, "I don't know what all of the hullabaloo is about, they are young boys and boy will be boys, and these pranks are normal, so just ignore them and let them be normal boys." I asked him, "Are you telling me that destroying a $3,000.00 scooter, destroying the ships murals, normal behavior, and then on top of it, you yourself sir are not taking responsibility for your son's normal boy behavior. Sir to be honest it is criminal behavior." and I then left there because I was so furious,

OH my! I can't even imagine hat kids would do this. Or anyone for that matter. I guess I just have to much respect for others. Then the parents to not believe them is just very sad. I have good kids thankfully but they have stepped out of line, nothing like this by all means, but they know they will pay for there actions. If I had video proof that there is no denying they better put me or my kids off the ship for there own safety. I dont think we could travel together for a long long time. I dont even know how I would handle this but it would not be pretty and there college funds may be depleted paying for there stupid mistakes.

Thanks everyone for the input. I'm sure whatever we decide will feel right once we on on board. We will need to feel it out. I am still hoping to get more ppl on our roll call with kids. My bil and neice now may be joining which will help too.

The answer to your question is yes, I have let my son sign-in and out since he was 9 on Carnival. But he had very strict rules. He could be at camp or doing a camp activity such as a scavenger hunt, or he had to be with me or in the room. The only detour he could make was for an ice cream cone. No friends allowed in our room, and he was not to go into anyone elses room.

He was very cautious the first day or so - he would come to check on me to make sure I was where I said I was going to be. It has never been a problem as he knows the consequence for breaking the rules is grounding for the remainder of the day and then loss of sign in/out privileges for the remainder of the cruise.

Yes, you were opening a can of worms with this one, but I am OK with that. There are parents that are comfortable with it, and others that are not. I am not going to go into all the arguments about sexual predators and their behavior to explain why such an attack is far less likely on a cruise ship than at home. IMHO this limited freedom is a great learning/growing experience for my child. But are all kids or their parents ready for it? No way.

So, it boils down to whether you are comforatble with it or not for THIS child. You know what he is capable of - perhaps a limited privilege for the scavenger hunt only? Or a walkie talkie for him to notify you when he wants to leave camp? There are many ways you can structure this.

Good luck and watch for more flying flames!

We were in a similar situation when my boys were that age.

The oldest was mature enough at 10 to fly around the world by himself (not literally of course).....

the youngest however was not and we realized.

We never allowed the boys to sign themselves out in the 9-11 age group.

(not because I did not trust their judgment but because I did not want to put them in a situation they "may" (or may not) be ready to handle.)

With these ships being small towns....while the staff and crew are checked and doubled checked for safety.....the person in your cabin next door could be anyone (or anything).

When a child molester was busted....this computer was seized and it contained him on a cruise ship with kids all around him. The kids were drinking something. It was a big ole party. (so much about safety in numbers)

As for the oldest getting to do things that the youngest may not be ready for....just sit down with the youngest and explain that people mature at different rates. Use a family example of you (or your husband's siblings) if possible.

Our oldest is extremely gifted. Our youngest is a special needs child (now 18)...but the youngest does realize there are things the oldest gets to do (go to college, drive a vehicle, etc) that the youngest will never do. I have just had to explain to the youngest over the years that we all have different paths that we go down....based on our talents. And that he is just as talented as the gifted son.....just in a different way. No better or worse...just different.

The best parenting advice I can give is know your children and don't put them in situations they are not ready for. Explain to your youngest that his "life" in general is not going to be a carbon copy of his older brothers....that each individual will do things at their OWN time....

Have a great cruise!!!

I've never put my kid IN a camp, and nor would I let her sign herself out. I certainly don't know any of the 3000 other passengers, and her safety is at the top of the list, just as it is with spending time together on vacation.

And after 9 cruises, she's yet to be bored. She's quite comfortable making friends with the other kids who aren't locked in the camps.

By allowing our kids the priviledge of signing in and out, our kids never feel as if they are "locked in" to a camp.

On the first day of the cruise we register all of the kids into their respectful camps. At that time we get the weekly camp planner that details all of the offered activities. Each night we go over the next day's activities. The kids can "pick and choose" when and where they want to go.

One misconception is that many people believe if the kids aren't in camp, they are running wild around the ship. This isn't the case at all. Almost universally if they are not in camp they are with us on deck sunning ourselves, playing in the pool, family mini golf / basketball, etc.

We believe allowing the kids to decide when they want to go to camp is one small step in their maturity process. It also makes their vacation more enjoying as going to camp is something that they want to do, not something that they are being forced to do.

I've never put my kid IN a camp, and nor would I let her sign herself out. I certainly don't know any of the 3000 other passengers, and her safety is at the top of the list, just as it is with spending time together on vacation.

And after 9 cruises, she's yet to be bored. She's quite comfortable making friends with the other kids who aren't locked in the camps.

Merry Christmas, Pete.

It is quite apparant that we have a similiar High school education;)

I am so sorry this happened to you. Children can be such monsters, and their parents just refuse to accept it. I wish you had gotten all their information - I would have sued them. There is no reason why you should have paid $3000 because of those nasty kids. With video proof, the courts would have taken your side, even if the parents were still delusional!

LHP ~ I am pretty sure you where the table next to us 2 years ago on the Imagination. I know we are on the same roll call and think it was towards the end of the cruise we realized we where sitting next to each other. I sadly was late to the meet and greet and most had left by the time I made it there.

I am pretty thick skinned so cracks about me being a bad parent or so dont hurt. I am just trying to make the best of our vaction for all of us. We all have different likes as most families do. There are lots of fun games and activities to do in camp as well as there are on the ship. We have had great times doing many things together as well as apart. We all take home very different favorite memories!

LHP ~ I am pretty sure you where the table next to us 2 years ago on the Imagination. I know we are on the same roll call and think it was towards the end of the cruise we realized we where sitting next to each other. I sadly was late to the meet and greet and most had left by the time I made it there.

I am pretty thick skinned so cracks about me being a bad parent or so dont hurt. I am just trying to make the best of our vaction for all of us. We all have different likes as most families do. There are lots of fun games and activities to do in camp as well as there are on the ship. We have had great times doing many things together as well as apart. We all take home very different favorite memories!

Yes indeed....how are you???

"old timers" has seized my brain these days...... I had completely forgotten....

all I remember about that cruise was that we did a B2B and hubby won the $500 slot tournament on one of them!! woo hoo

Yes, every parent has to make the decision of what is best for their family.

Our boys have always enjoyed Camp Carnival. Even though we did not allow them to sign out....they never felt like they were "IN" anyplace. They wanted to be there. They always knew that if they didn't want to be IN there....they could always hang with us. Until they were teenagers....those were the only two options. I guess Camp Carnival was better than hanging with Mom and Dad....:D

Our youngest is heart broken that he is now to old for Club O2. With his Autism, it have him a perfect place to meet other kids. It provided a location for the other kids to "give him a chance" and he always made a few friends to visit with during the cruise.

I hope you all have a WONDERFUL cruise!!!

I'm good! Thanks! Still cruising will never give it up, if I have it my way. I just wish we had the funds to do it more than once a year. Dont worry about "old timers" I have been trying to place why LPH stood out so much I finally peiced it all together today. :)

Archived