If we skip formal nights in the MDR...

... what can we expect to eat through room service or Windjammer? We've already planned to spend the second formal night at Chops, so this would be the first formal night. Will any of that night's menu be available at Windjammer or through room service? Thanks for the tips.

... what can we expect to eat through room service or Windjammer? We've already planned to spend the second formal night at Chops, so this would be the first formal night. Will any of that night's menu be available at Windjammer or through room service? Thanks for the tips.

It is my understanding that the dinner menu in the Windjammer pretty much mirrors the menu being served in the dining room that evening so you probably won't miss out on much except the table service that the wait staff in the dining room provides. :)

It is my understanding that the dinner menu in the Windjammer pretty much mirrors the menu being served in the dining room that evening so you probably won't miss out on much except the table service that the wait staff in the dining room provides. :)

And, if you are in a full suite, you can have the main dining room menu items served in your cabin.

Bill is also correct, that many of the items that are being served in the MDR are also served in the Windjammer. The exception is the steak. One can get a thin steak in the WJ but not a thick one!

Rick

We have always choose to eat at the WJ on formal nights. The above poster is correct. Almost the same menu with a very casual style. Quite different from what you experience at breakfast or lunch. Although still buffet style, the waitstaff is very attentive. It is slowly turning into our favorite place for dinner.:)

We have always choose to eat at the WJ on formal nights. The above poster is correct. Almost the same menu with a very casual style. Quite different from what you experience at breakfast or lunch. Although still buffet style, the waitstaff is very attentive. It is slowly turning into our favorite place for dinner.:)

I agree! It's so much nicer and relaxed in the WJ on formal night. Since you're going to Chops, you won't have to worry about missing out on the steak. You can get pretty much everything in the WJ. Majesty had a "make your own risotto" stand which was amazing--better than anything I'd had in the MDR. The only thing maybe not as good is dessert, but I think dessert is probably my least favorite part of the dinners on RC anyway.

Have a great cruise!

We would suggest you go to the dining room. Formal night is not what it used to be. Dress one notch down from formal. No one will call the "Formal" police on you. Your wait staff will not worry about it, your service will be the same. And if the ship's photographer wants to take a pic of you, go for it. It could be a great photo to buy later.

Don't let formal night scare you away from the dining room and the service there.

Have a great cruise on Jewel . . . we did!

Rick and Deirdra

I must admit on our last few RCCL cruises there were folks in the dining room NOT in formal and some not even close...read jeans & T shirts. Bit...who cares? We just like the company and usually get to be good friends with our tablemates and have such a good time if we go specialty we all go together.

With all the weight charges & limits people take less. Or bring 1 outfit and wear it more than onec. That works as well if 2-3 formals is a bit daunting when packing is being planned. The dining rooms tend to be warm, so flimsy things pack well!

I chose to eat on the Windjammer while on the Voyager of the Seas. They served sushi, not the greatest but I didn't particularly care for what was being served in the dining room, so I did the buffet most nights. I found a wider variety of choices most nights at the buffet.

I'm going on a 9 day tomorrow, so I'll be checking the menus before deciding where I want to eat.

On our 10 day December cruise in Australia, the only 2 nights we ended up in the dinning room where both formal nights (the opposite as we had initially planned). I did wear a dress shirt (no tie) as did a number of others. Main reason we went the 2nd night, is that was the only time the served the prime rib. No Lobster was served, but they did have a Jumbo Shrimp choice once or twice.

The rest of the nights we either came back late from an excursion (not enough time to get ready by 6), or we didn't see anything on the menu we really cared for (most the time), and just went to WJ.

WJ usually had at least 1/2 the items from the dinning room menu, such as lamb, roast beef, or the soups.

WJ did not have items such as the Prime Rib, the Jumbo Shrimp, Steaks, or the featured dessert most nights.

This will be a 10-night cruise, and frankly we just don't want to be packing to the moon and back. Also, my husband is in uniform every day and is really looking forward to dressing for his own pleasure for just a little while! I'll gladly give up the formal dress and the extra baggage fees.

It'll just be a nice bonus if the Windjammer has the duck I've been looking forward to!

Not what it was years ago. Nothing spectacular and service should be the same everyday. Turning into another opportunity to take your picture and try to make some money off you. I do like sitting down to be served as opposed to buffet dinning. Food is getting hit & miss. One day great with the next leaving you wondering if you'e on the same ship. I've eaten enough not so warm food at buffets and hopefully the MDR eats are hotter.

This will be a 10-night cruise, and frankly we just don't want to be packing to the moon and back. Also, my husband is in uniform every day and is really looking forward to dressing for his own pleasure for just a little while! I'll gladly give up the formal dress and the extra baggage fees.

It'll just be a nice bonus if the Windjammer has the duck I've been looking forward to!

I had the duck on the Majesty in the MDR two weeks ago and it wasn't all that great, unfortunately. But I'm hoping it was just an off night.

Have a wonderful time!

I think it's "nevermind" but I had to look it up.

Yes, sorry. It is "nevermind" which is what you write when you decide to take back everything you just wrote. :o You can't delete, only edit for about 15 minutes after you post, so I wrote "nvm". I've been trying to not let myself get caught up in threads and am striving to post more helpful comments. :) My previous deletion in this thread was a part of that.

I must admit on our last few RCCL cruises there were folks in the dining room NOT in formal and some not even close...read jeans & T shirts. Bit...who cares? We just like the company and usually get to be good friends with our tablemates and have such a good time if we go specialty we all go together.

With all the weight charges & limits people take less. Or bring 1 outfit and wear it more than onec. That works as well if 2-3 formals is a bit daunting when packing is being planned. The dining rooms tend to be warm, so flimsy things pack well!

Wow! You and I must be cruising different ships! :D I get so cold in the MDR that I always bring a wrap/sweater with me if I do not have at least 3/4 sleeves on...... :eek:

We would suggest you go to the dining room. Formal night is not what it used to be. Dress one notch down from formal. No one will call the "Formal" police on you. Your wait staff will not worry about it, your service will be the same. And if the ship's photographer wants to take a pic of you, go for it. It could be a great photo to buy later.

Don't let formal night scare you away from the dining room and the service there.

Have a great cruise on Jewel . . . we did!

Rick and Deirdra

We also prefer the WJ....and it is not because we are "scared away" It is by choice...as more and more people seem to be discovering..We usually sit in the same area with the same great waitstaff every night and have gotten to know many people around us doing the same...Enjoy wherever you decide to dine...it's your vacation.....

Wow! You and I must be cruising different ships! :D I get so cold in the MDR that I always bring a wrap/sweater with me if I do not have at least 3/4 sleeves on...... :eek:

I always have frozen as well until the Radiance class ships which have been nice & toasty! Of course being on the upper level helps!

Archived