Rotterdam Retreat Pictures

pipedreams62

Great pics - I really like the concept. This will be great on warm weather trips when you are laying out and just want to layout without having to go all the way in the pool. I personally love sitting on the ledge of the pool whean soaking up rays so this is great!:D

Can't wait to see it live and in person on August 21st!

Thanks for the photos. I guess that on a 90 degree day, laying in the sun some, some people can find heat relief while dangling their finger tips in 7 luxurious inches of water ? I wonder how many people don't realize that the aft pool is now a wading pool and will only discover this when they board ? (actually a wading pool gets more than your ankles wet ) I wish that someone at HAL will have the nerve to step forward to anounce that this was a BIG mistake. (you know that will never happen)

Thanks for the photos. I guess that on a 90 degree day, laying in the sun some, some people can find heat relief while dangling their finger tips in 7 luxurious inches of water ? I wonder how many people don't realize that the aft pool is now a wading pool and will only discover this when they board ? (actually a wading pool gets more than your ankles wet ) I wish that someone at HAL will have the nerve to step forward to anounce that this was a BIG mistake. (you know that will never happen)

HAL will never step forward an announce that it's a mistake, because for them it means way more REVENUE, something thier shareholders would be proud of. For me the loss of the Aft pool on a warm weather cruise is a total deal breaker, I will find some other ship/line.

I guess I'm unusual. In 16 years of HAL cruises I have never even gotten into the aft pool. I've taken many dips in the midships pool and have enjoyed the midships hot tubs, but I've never gotten into the aft pool. Nor do I like laying out, turning my skin into wrinkled leather. So, for me, this isn't an issue on those grounds. I feel for those for whom it is, and understand their disappointment, but that aspect doesn't adversely impact me. The Veendam's refit produced an UGLY aft; at least the Rotterdam's refit left her with a pleasing behind.

Once identical twins. Now no more. Seems you had the better ship this time.

The Amsterdam and the Rotterdam were never identical twins. The Amsterdam has always had an aft Navigation deck full of cabins and her aft pool up on the Lido deck (like the Volendam and the Zaandam) while the pre-refit Rotterdam's aft pool was on Navigation deck' date=' just like an S-class ship. Indeed, in that [i']limited[/i] respect this refit has made the Rotterdam more like the Amsterdam than she was before.

Of course, the addition of the aft-facing verandah cabins, the removal of the pool and the installation of the "Retreat" Water feature and TV screen, along with the expansion of the upper level of the MDR, have all contributed to making her different from the Amsterdam in other ways (not all of them bad).

Oh, well.

HAL will never step forward an announce that it's a mistake, because for them it means way more REVENUE, something thier shareholders would be proud of. For me the loss of the Aft pool on a warm weather cruise is a total deal breaker, I will find some other ship/line.

The additional revenue is derived from 5 additional inside cabins under the area where the bottom of a real pool should be. Like you this move is a deal breaker for me also. They have eliminated two ships that I would sail on and plan to add three more to that list. The downside will be muddled in rationalizations. Reduced bookings - price slashing will all get blamed on something other than the reduction and degradation of passenger amenities.

All I can say is the Panama Canal trip I just took was Hot Hot Hot.

I can't say that dipping my toes in a few inches of water would have cut it?

The inside lido pool was so warm that it really wasn't refreshing,plus that's where most of the kids go.

Perhaps it's okay. They at least have hot tubs out back. I never could figure out why no hot tubs out back?

Maybe the pizza is better,or is it the same drywall covered in Ragu?

Won't be a deal breaker till I experience it.

As far as I can see the layout looks the same as the Veendam's. There seems to be the same number and kinds of loungers and tables. Also a hot tub at back center.

What they've changed is how the edge of the retreat deck and cabins below join on to the dining room windows. The Rotterdam looks better but is its retreat deck shorter, smaller, to achieve this?

The tables under the new awning are a really nice place to hang out, except one side is smoking, at least on the Veendam. I don't think there are 50% smokers on the ship usually.

I can get used to the Retreat, I suppose, but the Tiki Hut stuff above the Retreat is an insult to a dignified flagship. What's next, a fake volcano?

That's been on the ship for years.

It's rarely in-use ... except, I suppose, when there are swarms of children aboard. It's part of Club HAL.

I can get used to the Retreat, I suppose, but the Tiki Hut stuff above the Retreat is an insult to a dignified flagship. What's next, a fake volcano?

Mrs M

I think that's part of Club HAL and the kids' retreat area that was put in during earlier SOE upgrades.

Mrs M

"Fake Volcano" Please don't give them ideas, otherwise they may start entertaining that plus water slides and a merry-go-round.

Actually fake volcano is exactly what it is so it's too late on giving them ideas. When it's in use it's a wallfall and the kids can sit below it in a small pool. We, somewhat jokingly, tried to get them to turn it on for us adults a few years ago on the Volendam as there were only three very small children on the ship and Club HAL was not in operation. They wouldn't do it. :rolleyes:

Hey Jay; where did you take those pics? At what port were A'dam and R'dam tied up together? Nice pics, btw!:)

The pics were taken in Puerto Chiapas Mexico.

The town that only has three excursions period

then they have two ships in one day?

The shore excursion manager told us they have a pool at the dock, but last trip

it was out of order. He also said they might have shuttle buses that will take you to Tepachula,and they might not?

Sorry to be inquisitive shore excursion guy,

but.....Why are we stopping here?

Archived