Formal Night

And there are a lot of people who dress casual for the specialty restaurants. I know that I usually just wear slacks and a polo shirt to the specialty resaurants when we go. With what the airlines are charging for checked baggage, there's only so much I can pack.

I just booked dinner at Portofinos and "suggested attire" on the booking is formal if it is on a formal night. Ours is, and we will dress accordingly - my DH will wear a suit, and the jacket and tie will no doubt come off, and I will wear usual black skirt and sparkly top.

I just booked dinner at Portofinos and "suggested attire" on the booking is formal if it is on a formal night. Ours is, and we will dress accordingly - my DH will wear a suit, and the jacket and tie will no doubt come off, and I will wear usual black skirt and sparkly top.

This is true. While everyone always says it's "always smart casual," they DO "suggest" you follow the guidelines of the MDR. I definitely remember reading that in the Cruise Compass.

However, I think most people were dressed casually to smart-casually when I was in Portofino on formal night. There's NO chance they'll turn you away if you're not "formal."

This is true. While everyone always says it's "always smart casual," they DO "suggest" you follow the guidelines of the MDR. I definitely remember reading that in the Cruise Compass.

However, I think most people were dressed casually to smart-casually when I was in Portofino on formal night. There's NO chance they'll turn you away if you're not "formal."

The website is suitably unclear. It says that smart casual is appropriate for the specialty restaurants and that on formal nights, formal attire is "also appropriate" in the specialty restaurants.

Here's the thing: Does the "also" mean "on formal nights smart casual and also formal attire are appropriate in the specialty restaurants" or does it mean "on formal nights formal attire is appropriate in the specialty restaurants instead of smart casual"? For a long time, RCI advertised the specialty restaurants as optional dining venues if you didn't want to dress formally on formal night, so I think the former definition is probably closer to the dress suggestions.

beachchick

Wear what you want. Judging by the comments on dress code here, most dont seem to care what they wear. jeans, baseball cap, vest, bermuda shorts!! Think I may go to the formal night in just my undies.

You will not be turned away..as you will be the entertainment.:eek:....LOL LOL...Have a great cruise.....:D:D

Now keeping in mind that I've come down frequently on the idea that RCI allows any sort of dress, when has a suit become "formal" wear? ;) In most circles a suit and tie would be considered country club casual or, with RCI, smart casual.

I've never known a black skirt and sparkly top to be considered formal wear for women either when attending formal social events. Generally speaking that requires some sort of formal evening gown. While my wife wears nice dresses for formal night, I'm afraid that her dresses would never be considered formal gowns in social circles.

what's the point of wearing a jacket and tie just to remove it once seated?

They aren't going to turn you guys away.

Bill

Chops and Portofinos are always smart casual, every night. Some people do get more dressed up if eating their on a formal night, but that is purely optional.

WOW! You're fast, Gonzo! How did you manage to answer the question before it was asked??

We were in Freedom's Portofino on the first formal night (got back last Sunday). About 1/3 to 1/2 were dressed according to formal suggested wear. Rest were dressy casual except the one man that was in shorts and a bright flowered shirt. Don't know if he was the booked entertainment or not..... :D

Considering how uncomfortable it is for most men to wear a shirt, tie, cumberbun and jacket in the dining venues where it is simply too warm, we have reluctantly concluded that we will not be dressing formally at all on our next cruise. Too many evenings have been cut short from being uncomfortable.

From now on, it's nice dress shirts and slacks. No jackets, no ties. Will actually start fitting in with the majority for a change, and undoubtedly feel much more relaxed.

A shame though, really did enjoy the formality of the formal dinners when the temperatures were favorable to men in ties and jackets. Now I guess they are geared for the Pols shirt and anf Capri pants crowds....

Happy Cruising,

TnT

Considering how uncomfortable it is for most men to wear a shirt, tie, cumberbun and jacket in the dining venues where it is simply too warm, we have reluctantly concluded that we will not be dressing formally at all on our next cruise. Too many evenings have been cut short from being uncomfortable.

From now on, it's nice dress shirts and slacks. No jackets, no ties. Will actually start fitting in with the majority for a change, and undoubtedly feel much more relaxed.

A shame though, really did enjoy the formality of the formal dinners when the temperatures were favorable to men in ties and jackets. Now I guess they are geared for the Pols shirt and anf Capri pants crowds....

Happy Cruising,

TnT

Dress for your comfort and enjoy your cruise ;)

Archived