If you joined your roll call would you give out your cabin number?

Floridamom

If your roll call asked for your cabin number would you  

354 members have voted

1. 1. If your roll call asked for your cabin number would you

• Give it to them...not a problem
    • Ignore the question...not giving it out
    • Give the wrong cabin number.
    • Tell them you prefer not to disclose your cabin number.

We were on a 15 day cruise in December and over 200 people signed up for the cc party. We had on the boards names and stateroon numbers of most people. Not one person came knocking on our door. I think it is safe to give out the information. Nobody had any problems. I found all the cruise critic people to be a wonderful group of individuals!:D

I do a roster for every cruise, but I contact each shipmate by email (they email me as I have my email listed in my profile) to get their cabin numbers and other info. Then make out a full roster to give to each of the CC Member's who show up at the CC party. Then we can easily get together again if we wish via phone calls to cabins.

Princess also posts each person's name outside their cabin door.

Bob

Yes, they posted our names on our Princess cruises in '04 and in '05. I just think it's funny that some people get so worked up about giving someone their name or cabin number - it's not as if an ill-meaning person could take that info and go do something horrible with it, like open a credit card or have access to their bank account.

At the very worst, someone could bang on your door in the middle of the night (but hey, don't misbehaving children do that anyway??)...or perhaps they could call your room without ceasing...but I'm sure a quick phone call to the purser's desk would stop that.

Since I sometimes cruise alone, I would NOT give out my cabin number on the board and I would take my name off the door when I got there. Anyone who's ever been stalked, assaulted or harrassed, 23 or not, doesn't see such precautions as paranoid.

Just recently, in fact, I had a cyberstalker (different board) reading every single one of my posts and then commenting on any little piece of personal info I let slip. He'd IM me several times a day saying things like "I get to (your city) sometimes.", 'How old is your son?", "I see you made it home from your vacation," and "So your husband is away a lot?". Pretty icky.

Access your credit card or break into your cabin, no. Learn your access patterns and pick a quiet time to force you into your cabin as you enter yourself? Yes, and worth taking precautions against.

Cheers,

Friday

They put names in the little card slot in front of the mail drop outside the door on Regal Princess last summer when we were there.

However, I haven't given our cabin number out and will wait until we meet the other CCers next week before I do.

the Stanger

Not to be rude, but I don't see the harm in giving out your cabin number? What on earth could someone do with it? Absolutely nothing. I would venture to say they can't break into your room. Besides, at least on Princess (haven't been on other lines yet), your name is posted outside your door anyway. What difference does it make? I guess I'm part of the non-paranoid younger crowd (23), but I really don't see what harm someone could do to you with your name and cabin number.
Thanks for the warning: I will have to look out for this. I may have particular sensitivities, but I wouldn't want my name to be publicly displayed, let alone allow everyone an easy way of associating it readily with my face.

Access your credit card or break into your cabin, no. Learn your access patterns and pick a quiet time to force you into your cabin as you enter yourself? Yes, and worth taking precautions against.

As the saying goes "Better safe than sorry!"

Most of us probably don't know other CC members personally... There's probably a cross section of society on this board, from rich to poor, normal to deranged :eek: Unless I've met some of the people for a length of time and feel comfortable with them, I probably won't give out my cabin number.

I have posted my cabin number or given it out on my last 12 cruises. It has never been a problem. I have always had alot of fun meeting with the CC groups both in a meeting setting and while on board. I've never found anyone obtrusive. There are always those you tend not to associate with but a simple, "Hello" never hurt anyone. Love to cruise and love the CC boards!!

Larry

I have not had a problem with posting cabin numbers and on our next cruise because we posted our cabin numbers I found out that on of our fellow M & M's will be next door to my sister. Whether you post your cabin number or not people can watch your every move and know your habits without your cabin number... It's all in being aware of your surroundings.

If someone asks, I generally giv then an idea.. example...aft on an upper deck. I generally give it to my on-line contacts by email, but only after corresponding with them for a while. I have no had any peopblems in the past, but like Friday, I sometimes travel alone, and at such times, I tend to be more cautious.

Now, on a cruise, I prefer communication by notes rather than knocks on the door or phone calls. That way, you reduce the risk of disturbing someone. Of course, if you are meeting a friend for an excursion and they should be up anyway, calling to check u on them or for something last minute is fine.

Finally, for a long time, I have been hoping that cruise cabin phone numbers would not be the cabin number.

AA

We did this last October and posted room numbers, most were on a b2b, it was the best cruise I was ever on. About 50 of us met for dinner the night before and it was just great. Nobody stalked anybody (that I know of) but we were well bonded by the time we cruised.

I don't see any problem with it and it tends to enhance the cruise experience by giving a feeling of trust.

• 4 weeks later...
I wouldn't post in on the board but I've no problems giving it out to our roll call group "off line". Somebody in the group made a list & sent it to everybody so we all had everyone's info handy. Our group often wanted to get together "spontaneously" & this made it easy to meet.

I think [b][i]Boo's Mom[/i][/b] has a good idea there, after the list is compiled, and you check with everyone if you want to release their infomation to all thats going.. then with the list you can add a few suggestions on how to get in contact with a CC person while onboard and one would be to Call them. But its good to know your CC mate cabin so that you can stop by and leave some Photos or a note outside the door.

I would give it out to someone in person (after "feeling them out." (once I met a weirdo on a trip w/ NY Giants Road Crew)). But I wouldn't give it out on a message board. I'm not afraid of a stalker (b/c I'm a male I guess, I'd feel different if I were female I think) but when I am on vacation I just want to go at my own pace & not have to "hang out" w/ anyone (the guy I met on the Road Crew was not only weird but a pain in the butt; or did that make him weird? lol). But after reading these posts it seems that I wouldn't have to worry about that (I should be so popular, lol!). After reading the posts, I'd give it to a coordinator in case a metting time was change or something.

I actually heard about this site on the Dawn last year (New Year's Eve Cruise) from a member of CC. He was a great guy. I ran into him several times & enjoyed his company. I'd definitely look forward to meeting other CC'ers on my next trip. It's a nice "community" vibe going on here.
-Moe:)

Archived