If you joined your roll call would you give out your cabin number?

Floridamom

If your roll call asked for your cabin number would you  

354 members have voted

1. 1. If your roll call asked for your cabin number would you

• Give it to them...not a problem
    • Ignore the question...not giving it out
    • Give the wrong cabin number.
    • Tell them you prefer not to disclose your cabin number.

It's nice if there is an unforeseen circumstance that messes up the Cruise Critic gathering to be able to communicate a new time and place to others who might be interested (communication by note or phone message, not a knock on the door :) ). Also, on our cruises, we have shared shore excursions with other cruise critics, so it made it nice to be able to be in contact once onboard.

My feeling on this is that most people on a cruise are into they own vacation experience and not into stalking anyone. If you meet some people that you click with then I think it's fine to give your cabin number out so they can contact you by phone if need be etc. I think this is a common sense question and only you know yourself as to who or when you want to expose your where abouts to. :rolleyes:

I have given out my cabin number numerous times and never had any problems with it. People can knock at your door at home at inconvenient times too...how do you handle that? I always put the "do not disturb" sign out if we are in the room and not into cabin steward's strooling in etc. That might be a good solution for ya.

I'm the one "in charge" of coordinating our roll call get together for the 2/20 Dawn sailing. I have everyone's cabin numbers to communicate in case of a change in date/time/venue, or if we just want to get in touch while in board. However, they've been emailed to me, not posted on the board, and I'll email it to anyone interested before we depart. Probably absolutely no harm in posting it on the board (actually, I have probably personally posted a cabin number at one time or another) but I could see how people would feel uncomfortable with it.

Robin

I also have given out my cabin # for everyone to have and see. To me, whats the big deal? The door is locked, if you're busy, don't answer it.

I also have to say that in every cruise critic thread I have joined, not once have I or another cruise critic member ever knocked on my door or me on theirs.

Last year on our Cruise Critic Roll Call we even went so far as to design room signs, so even if I didnt give out my cabin #, it was very obvious where we were!!!

It depends on how the people on the roll call thread are interacting. For most of our past cruises I have not. However for the last cruise we took, we had almost 60 posters on the thread and about 20 of them had sailed together before. It was a REALLY friendly bunch of CC posters and we planned several different meets for during our cruise. We also had sub groups that had interests in the same excursions and those groups changed whenever we got to a new port. With so many CC folks, it wasn't hard finding others that were going to participate in tours or onboard games and events. We had the winning team for QUEST (RCI), a newlywed couple that were in the not so newlywed game, a group owned horse for the horse racing, trivia teams, and a progressive party from cabin to cabin, and a winetasting party in one of the CC member suites. We all had a master list of everyones cabin number to be able to leave a phone message or a note on doors to keep in touch with invites or arrange a time and place to meet for those interested in whatever activity was going on soon. Everyone agreed beforehand that we would all try to meet at the pool bar before sailaway and at the official meet. Other times we all split up into sub groups or did things on our own. If we wanted to join in we could if not that was ok too. No one just knocked on anothers door, we respected each others privacy. Communication was done by phone, voicemail, note or word of mouth. This worked out very well for all of us.

we had a cc meeting on our new years cruise on the dawn-It was wonderful to meet the 25 out of 30 people who showed up at the meeting. The onboard coorsinator did give me a letter staing that we should not be decorating with door signs.

We never got cabin numbers-there was no reason to do so-unless individuals wanted to get together.

We did, however, try to get 8 people together in order to take advantage of a spa discount. The ship also gave out extra internet time coupons to everyone who used online services-it was nice.

It hasn't ever come up for us -- neither of our cruises have generated much interest on the roll call boards. I would prefer not to disclose it up front, meet people at a get-together if one was held, and then, if there were people we were interested in making further plans with, give it to them at that point in time.

Having said that, I've made a couple of friends off the boards that we haven't even met yet -- sometime in the future we will probably try to arrange a cruise together, but so far it's been an email correspondence. I would have no hesitation in letting them know in advance my cabin #.

I have coordinated a roll call before...and had everyone email me their information. I then compiled the list and emailed it back to everyone.

Since the cabin number is also the phone number.....(I assume in all cases)...I would expect a phone call might be the mode of contact....instead of a knock at the door.

Situations come up (the time of the roll call meeting is the exact time that the ship pulls up to the Hubbard Glacier ! )....and people don't make the meeting, but still want an avenue to get in touch with others.

I have given my cabin number out on my roll call thread before and never had a problem. Although we meet lots of new people it seems everyone still does there own thing and if we meet up somewhere with someone that is great.

We DID have the ship's comedian (Richard Iani) give out our travelling companion's cabin number once! He said, in his act to a lady sitting there, as a VERY loud aside: "I'm in cabin 219! Number 219!" Everybody laughed, as did we--and then we realized cabin 219 was our friend's cabin! Iani later told us he picked 219 because it "sounds funny!" I have NEVER figured that out!

I didn't have a problem last time and I don't expect one this time. Of course it hasn't even come up this time....only which deck....

Either way, doesn't matter to me...it's the same as at home. Except no barking dogs!! But quite honestly, we are on vacation and I don't plan on knocking on anybody's door and the only phone I plan on ringing is room service. We have traveled in groups, met people, and did the cc/m&m thing, and it hasn't been an issue...Of course, I am not so stupid to think there aren't "strange" people out there. But there are also "strange" people at home. You should always be aware of your surroundings, whether at home or on vacation.

WE hate a special "Dis" Trick or Treating on the Disney Magic over Halloween. Everyone who participated gave their room numbers. We had group leaders, special Halloween signs for our doors, and maps of the cabin #'s participating. It was a blast!!!

Teri

I don't have a problem with giving out my room number. In fact, I'd probably rather post that than my email address! Although last year when we cruised, my young adult son and daughter were in a separate cabin, and I didn't particularly want that known.

We have been with CC groups that did and groups that didnt. Some of the most fun were groups with door signs it was much like a scavenger hunt finding the signs which we had each designed. Never once did anyone knock on our door, did recieve a few notes slipped under the door with info someone wanted to share. Sorry to hear some ships dont like the signs but there not much fun if you dont have a fairly large active group so no big loss.We are just so thrilled we found these boards its kind of like a fix between cruises. Next up the Sea 2/12/05 then not again till november.

I'm the one "in charge" of coordinating our roll call get together for the 2/20 Dawn sailing. I have everyone's cabin numbers to communicate in case of a change in date/time/venue, or if we just want to get in touch while in board. However, they've been emailed to me, not posted on the board, and I'll email it to anyone interested before we depart. Probably absolutely no harm in posting it on the board (actually, I have probably personally posted a cabin number at one time or another) but I could see how people would feel uncomfortable with it.

Robin

I am a first timer. What is Roll Call?

artistsj - if you go to Cruiseline Message board homepage, towards the bottom it lists 'Roll Call' for the different cruise lines. Click on the NCL roll call and you will see the different threads listing ship name and date, find yours and reply and join the roll call. It is a fun way to make friends even before you get on board the ship. You also get to share info you've found out about the tours, and generally talk and get to know each other. Usually a get together is organized, either officially thru NCL or unofficially (group sets time/place/day to meet). By joining a roll call, you are not committing yourself to anything. There is no obligation to meet, or go further then just meet and say hello.

As far as giving my cabin number or personal info on these boards, I am not comfortable with it. I have emailed my info to the person coordinating the get together on our previous roll call.

• 2 months later...

Too bad NCL doesn't official support CC... or else CC members could give their cabin numbers to the pursers desk, and all communications would be routed through there. That way no CC member knows another CC member's cabin number unless explicitly told.

Not to be rude, but I don't see the harm in giving out your cabin number? What on earth could someone do with it? Absolutely nothing. I would venture to say they can't break into your room. Besides, at least on Princess (haven't been on other lines yet), your name is posted outside your door anyway. What difference does it make? I guess I'm part of the non-paranoid younger crowd (23), but I really don't see what harm someone could do to you with your name and cabin number.

Besides, at least on Princess (haven't been on other lines yet), your name is posted outside your door anyway. What difference does it make? I guess I'm part of the non-paranoid younger crowd (23), but I really don't see what harm someone could do to you with your name and cabin number.

Really they posted your name on Princess? I don't seem to recall that... I was on Princess in 2003.

Archived