Carry on only and toiletries

monkeyinhat

My husband is an overpacker.

but I could do with a carry on and trying to make him do carry on

My problem is toiletries. with the 3 oz 1 quart bag limit. I am not sure I could do it without spending more and buying on ship or in port and frankly would cost the $25.00 a suitcase would cost. Items like suntan lotions , conditioner , shampoo, toothpaste. I can't do with the free generic ship shampoo, need more sunscreen and toothpaste than 3 oz. I packed all my liquids , makeup lotions, face, lip gloss, perfume , cleanser etc in baggie no problem I guess split up several travel bottles and put in a ziploc bag for hubs.

razors and fingernail clippers not allowed, right?

How do you deal with these items.

I regiously read all of your posts on carryon packing only . I don't see these mentioned or undies and Pj's on the lists. I must be the only ones not going commando :)

How long are you going to be gone? My travel size toothpast is less than an ounce, and it would last me for 10 days--if I needed more, I'd just bring another. Cream or mineral, rather than liquid, foundation and lipstick, rather than lip gloss, are other options.

Razors and fingernail clippers are permitted.

If I can do it, anyone can. Sample or travel sizes of everything. Shampoo and conditioner, I don't know why people overuse the stuff, I can go for a week with less than 2 ounces of each. I also use powder foundation, powder eye shadow, powder blush, none of that needs to go into the 3-1-1 bag. I do use the space my husband doesn't need, so that helps, he usually has the body wash/ deodorant in his bag.

The one item I would wait to purchase would be sunscreen...pricey but 3 ounces just is not enough for a week.

Razors (safety razors) and fingernail clippers are allowed.

If your husband overpacks, does he check a bag? Stuff the extras in his bag--he should have room for suntan lotion. I would think you could get by with 3 oz or less of shampoo and conditioner. You can get quite a bit in one of those one quart bags if you line everything up very carefully.

I use the facial cleanser sheets, rather than a liquid cleanser. I use about a third of an inch of toothpaste twice a day. I'm content with the cruise ship shampoo.

I've stuffed that quart size bag pretty full and have wondered if I could somehow get by with two of them. What if you put one into a bin with your shoes and another in a second bin with, say, your hat? So far, I've been fortunate to be able to make it with one ziplock bag, but I'm getting older and I need a lot more moisturizers, etc., than I did before.

A three week trip is likely to require me to make purchases rather than bringing everything from home.

Why not compromise? Check one bag on the way, because you're right. If you have to purchase a lot of toiletries, it can certainly cost you over $25. Just be ready to leave/toss the remainder on the trip back, so you can carry on the bag on your return trip.

You will need copious amounts of sunscreen....the further south you go, the stronger that sun is....a burn wil RUIN your vacation.

Check one bag and put your full-sized liquids/toiletries in there....it's worth it.

I cut way back on sunscreen buy bring a couple of these type of long sleeve shirts when I have a full day planned in the sun http://www.amazon.com/ExOfficio-Airstrip-Sleeve-Shirt-Small/dp/B001M0ML7M/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&s=apparel&qid=1265559070&sr=8-10 .

They are very comfortable to wear in hot weather with either the sleeves rolled up or down. They are also very easy to care for, light, and wrinkle resistant.

I also wear a rash gruard shirt for swimming.

Shak

I tend to carry a lot of the sample packs for shampoo & conditioner, lotions, etc. My sister sells Arbonne and she sells me sample packs that have face lotion, eye cream, cleanser, toner, night cream and face serum. Three or four packs will definitely do for a week and they take up almost no space in the baggie. I do bring a couple of sample sized bottles of sunscreen (great for beach bags), a small tube of toothpaste, small deodorant, samples of body lotion, etc.

I will carry 3-ounce bottles of hairspray, mousse or root lifter and Downy Wrinkle release (if it will fit). My makeup is now either powder or pressed so it doesn't have to go in the bag.

There have been times when I've just decided to buy stuff and not worried about the cost --- I'd rather fork over $30 in a shop on an island than stand in line for my checked bags!

What if you put one into a bin with your shoes and another in a second bin with, say, your hat?

Depends on the TSA agent. It's not permitted and if you've got an agent who is a stickler for rules and has no sense of humour they could decide to take your whole bag apart and give you a very special search. Personally, I'd rather see them follow the rules to the letter than go at it hit or miss and then have something happen.

What if you put one into a bin with your shoes and another in a second bin with, say, your hat?

time before last going thru security a woman did this and when her bins went thru she put 2 zips in them one in each...they went thru the screening and they asked whos they were she said hers....ONLY ONE ZIP LOCK BAG for each passenger...she was taken over to the side and had to REDO and some stuff wouldnt fit so OUT it went...i wouldnt CHANCE that cos you just dont EVER know-- and what you can get away with at one airport you cant at the next...you can get ALOT in those zips and then give extras to your hubby to carry--like lotions or face cleansers something like that.

i will NEVER be just a CARRY-ON person cos i just NEED to MUCH stuff!

I use a lot of towelette type products as they are not considered a "liquid". You can get sunscreen, face cleansers, bug repellent, self tanners, shampoo/conditioner, laundry and hand sanitizers.

I also purchase items for travel that max out the limit.

I am not sure, but I think lipstick, creams and gels are all considered a liquid. The TSA website had a whole list of what was considered a liquid and what is not. I cannot find it now:rolleyes:. But I do remember lipstick, solid deodorant and creams being on the liquid list.

I did just learned (on the TSA website) that it is not 3oz limit, but a 3.4 ounce (100ml) limit. :cool:

The mineral make-up is a great idea.

Lush makes a number of solid shampoos, some with conditioner included. They fit into little tins (also sold by Lush, or free with the purchase of 2 shapoos "bars")

I find they work really well and one bar lasted for a six week trip around the world with a couple of weeks worth to spare. Most of my stops were tropical, so I was washing my hair every day.

http://www.lushusa.com/shop/products/haircare/solid-shampoos/

I agree with DonMar about towlettes. I have used them for mosquito repellant and for sun tan lotion with good result.

I use a lot of towelette type products as they are not considered a "liquid". You can get sunscreen, face cleansers, bug repellent, self tanners, shampoo/conditioner, laundry and hand sanitizers.

i put those TOWELETTE types in my zip-locks...i guess i dont have to and take up that space:confused:

thanks for the replies. My goal is to get hubs to go with a check in only

Like I said, sunscreen my shampoo and conditioner are the main things.

I think I could split up into bottles. We go tropical so need a lot of sunscreen and wash hair. we go thru a lot of toothpaste for both of us.

It definately depends on the screener. last month this woman had a bottle of honey that was 6 oz in a plasitc bag and they let her thru

I did not know about sunscreen toilettes. will definately look those up

i would purchase sunscreen there. Also, I use lingerie powder instead of liquid laundry detergent. Fabreeze is essentially fabric softener and water. What I've done is taken an empty spray bottle, a dryer sheet and add water. I'll take the dryer sheet, cut a bit of it off, put it in the bottle with water and shake it up. Voila!

Archived