Is this too "cheesy"?

Luxuriate

IMHO, wedding wear and formal wear are not the same. A wedding dress symbolizes that a wedding (or at least a renewal of vows) has just taken place, so why not go for the renewal as well? Then you'd be perfectly justified to wear the wedding gear. (I realize only you would know if you renewed your vows or not, but it's the principle involved.) Otherwise, I feel it would be out of place. From an etiquette standpoint, the dress and tux likely technically qualify as formalwear, but the reason for having a dress code is to help insure that people don't stand out and draw undue attention. A wedding dress, I fear, is a way of saying, "Hey, everybody, look at us!" Still, I would rather see a wedding dress on formal night than bermuda shorts and a t-shirt.

OTOH, traditions have to start somewhere. It may lead to others emulating you, and, maybe a hundred years from now, wearing your wedding attire on your anniversary will be considered the proper thing to do!

Also, there are wedding dresses and there are Wedding Dresses. If it's something with a large train, it might be impractical or even a safety hazard. And pray for no lost luggage:eek:!

It's your vacation. If you want to wear your wedding dress go for it! If the purpose is to wear the dress for your husband and you then it will suite the purpose. If it's so others can see that it's your anniversary and you are trying to draw in the attention.. then people may think it's cheesy. Especially if you are "significant" in age and wearing the veil with the gown. But still.. it's your choice.

Why don't you renew your vows that day and then wear your dress and tux?

1. This is the best comment in this thread.

2. You will be the loveliest couple on the entire ship.

3. A bride is supposed to be the center of our attention.

4. Have the second best day of your life.

5. Have many pictures taken.

6. Post them HERE!!

Mark

Howdy,

Guy here-I come in peace:).

First, I am happy you two are so much in love and want to celebrate in a special way.

I am all for vowal renewal and wearing your garb for that, but think it would be sharp cheddar to wear the dress otherwise. I think you would be making a spectacle of yourself. If it were your 50th anniversary, I might feel a little different, but still think it would be unadvisable.

Keep in mind too that you would undoubtably be the center of attention-much of which would be because of the assumption that you just got married. So, to some extent, wearing the dress would be misleading.

On a ship of 1000 couples, there are likely to be dozens and dozens who also are celebrating their anniversary or special birthdays on board. Or who could still fit into their wedding dress.

Alaska is such a magical place. There are many sites where you could arrange a most beautiful and meaningful vowal renewal and wear your dress in splendor.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

Since the question has been asked, I hope you will pardon an honest reply - yes, personally I think the idea is very cheesy.

Looking at the replies to date there appears to be an international divide on this question, which is interesting in itself. Possibly something to do with the great British reserve as the average Brit would do anything to avoid bringing attention to themselves!

A lot depends on the style of the dress and how you feel about being the centre of attention, bearing in mind that apparently the majority will applaud your sentiments whilst there will be a minority who do not feel the same way.

Hopefully I won't get flamed for giving an honest reply but I feel the wedding dress should be symbolic of a wedding day and brought out to reminisce afterwards but not worn again other than perhaps for renewal of vows.

Some people I know who have had simply styled wedding dresses (as opposed to meringue-type dresses) have had them professionally dyed a different colour and worn them as evening dresses - is this an option?

Some people I know who have had simply styled wedding dresses (as opposed to meringue-type dresses) have had them professionally dyed a different colour and worn them as evening dresses - is this an option?

I did this for two wedding dresses - LOL - one I had shortened (it was simply layers of tiered cotton) and the second shortened and dyed pale blue. I'm a practical gal. LOLOL

...do what pleases you and to heck with everyone else...why do we all care so much what everyone else thinks??? Too bad it is a human trait that most of us are guilty of...that being said, go for it!

We are renewing our vows on a fall cruise in the med and I've bought a very simple wedding gown because 32 years ago, I didn't have one. We had a huge wedding planned for much later in the year, then hubby got orders for overseas and we quickly were married [within 2 weeks] so that I could go with him. I found an ivory full length dress that was probably more suitable for a prom, but it did the trick at the time. For our renewal, I had so much fun finding a dress and our local shop had a huge sale, therefore I spent less than what I paid for the dress I wore to my son's wedding last fall. We are thinking about doing it in Venice and we couldn't be happier about the idea.

So, as I said, do what makes you and your hubby happy...all you need is love :)

I love the idea. Why get a dress and wear it once? I wish I could fit into mine. But then there was this other dress, that I loved but the shop couldn't guarantee it would arrive on time (or at all) so I went with something else. If I had that one (and could fit it) you bet I'd wear it!

I love looking at the best dresses on formal night. The black numbers are so blah. Go for the wedding garb! Can you post a wedding photo so we can see the dress?

Cheers!

Michelle

Guest Indigogarden

It is your choice-- Gowns (wedding or not) and Tuxedo's qualify as Formal Wear. Enjoy your evening!! Congratulations on all the notable things you will be celebrating! :D

"..there appears to be an international divide on this question, which is interesting in itself. Possibly something to do with the great British reserve"

Since I love data, I counted the "Yes, cheesy" votes: Yup, 3 UK, but 1 Arizona, 1 West Virginia, 1 Wisconson. International Divide? Brit Reserve??Think not, especially since I've been to Brit Pubs and parties. So much for the Stiff Upper Lip Reserved Brit. And I don't believe thinking this would be cheesy is due to some cultural reserve....with all due respect, our West By-God Virginian isn't exactly from the most Reserved Culture I can think of,,,, and that is suppose to be a compliment WVUFan! We even have a Canadian thinking it's a good idea and not Cheezy...and we US folks think our Canadian neighbors are the nicest and lowest key folks around...that is until we go to a Hockey Game with them!

Somehow, I'm always amazed at how we generalize, and usually to our own advantage.

My opinion? Do it. I thnk it would be neat. We renewed our vows (20th) on our balcony. Cheesy? A bit. I didn't want to pay the $100's (lots of hundreds!) for a Ship's Renewal - wow did that surprise me - I wanted to rent the Ship's Capt for 2minutes, not for the cruise! So we had Three 'Captains' do the ceremony - our travel friends were Captains in the US Health Sevice. Wish we could fit into our wedding gear. Ahhh, I think I just hit on what some people may have issues with . It isn't wearing your wedding gown, it's that you can still fit into it after 10 yrs!

Denny

On our second or third cruise together, I suprised DH by wearing my wedding dress for formal night. We were married oceanside, so it was not a particularly formal choice and I had it altered a bit so it appeared like more of a gown. (There was a small amount of pearl trim that I had removed and I added black ribbon trim around the waist as well as at the hemline.) Would changing the gown up a bit to be less wedding-y make you more comfortable but still feel special? Perhaps a shorter hemline, have any spangles removed, a colored waist sash?

Go for it. Last year on the RCI Brilliance, a Welsh woman (take that, you CCer from Wales who called this cheesy) at our table wore the gown in which she'd renewed vows after 40 years and while it was not as wedding-y as an actual wedding gown, and was unusual in that she wore it on a smart-casual evening and not a formal, the rest of us felt caught up in the occasion of it and quite enjoyed being with someone willing to stand out in the crowd for love.

If any of the yes-cheesy voters really think this is a big issue, you should look at the discussion on the HAL boards about people who bring dolls on the ship and actually expect them to have a chair at the dinner table.

.....If any of the yes-cheesy voters really think this is a big issue, you should look at the discussion on the HAL boards about people who bring dolls on the ship and actually expect them to have a chair at the dinner table.

Boy, am I Not going to touch this line! I'm on the wrong forum for pure entertainment.

but I do have a question: What about my blowup doll?.....Nooooooooooo, I promised I wouldn't go that route!

Denny

I don't know anyone (other than myself maybe!! lol) who can still fit into a wedding dress several years after marriage- you didn't get married because of what other people thought, I would do it in a heartbeat on a significant anniversary and I love the idea of renewing vows in the same dress/tux. GO for it!

My husband and I have been together for going on 17 years. We have been married for 10 years this summer. Celebrity is our favorite cruise line and we went on a Celebrity European cruise for our honeymoon and have been on about eight other Celebrity cruises.

Question? Would it "cheesy" for me to wear my wedding dress and my hubby to wear his wedding tuxedo on a cruise this summer to celebrate several milestones in our life? We would probably wear them on the first formal night. It will be our 10 year wedding anniversary and both of us are celebrating "VERY significant birthdays", sorry, I don't want to give our ages (gulp) but trust me...they are SIGNIFICANT.

We will be on an Alaskan cruise on a ship we have been on before (I don't think it is our original honeymoon ship but it is in the same class).

I love the idea of wearing my wedding dress to formal night. My hubby has worn the same tuxedo for 10 years (he wore it at our wedding too). I can fit into the dress (that is what I am most proud of!)

Would people gag with disgust? I think it would be fun. I still fit into it. It still is relatively in fashion, off the shoulder. It isn't like I will ever wear it again....

What do you think?

I'm thinking my husband would think it was over the top. It kind of means a lot to me though. I wore that dress only once. I think it signifies our life together, our beautiful son that has come from our marriage, and our continuing love for each other.

What do you think?

If your costumes still fit, I say, wear them and enjoy.

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

My husband and I have been together for going on 17 years. We have been married for 10 years this summer. Celebrity is our favorite cruise line and we went on a Celebrity European cruise for our honeymoon and have been on about eight other Celebrity cruises.

Question? Would it "cheesy" for me to wear my wedding dress and my hubby to wear his wedding tuxedo on a cruise this summer to celebrate several milestones in our life? We would probably wear them on the first formal night. It will be our 10 year wedding anniversary and both of us are celebrating "VERY significant birthdays", sorry, I don't want to give our ages (gulp) but trust me...they are SIGNIFICANT.

We will be on an Alaskan cruise on a ship we have been on before (I don't think it is our original honeymoon ship but it is in the same class).

I love the idea of wearing my wedding dress to formal night. My hubby has worn the same tuxedo for 10 years (he wore it at our wedding too). I can fit into the dress (that is what I am most proud of!)

Would people gag with disgust? I think it would be fun. I still fit into it. It still is relatively in fashion, off the shoulder. It isn't like I will ever wear it again....

What do you think?

I'm thinking my husband would think it was over the top. It kind of means a lot to me though. I wore that dress only once. I think it signifies our life together, our beautiful son that has come from our marriage, and our continuing love for each other.

What do you think?

I think it would be very " cheesey"

I think it would be very " cheesey"

Who cares what others think, if the outfits still fit -even after that many cruises then go for it. Kudos to you and your hubby, even if others think you just got married or that it is cheesy who cares - have fun. Celebrate the fact that you are still together after ten years, and an even more unlikely scenario these days, that you still fit cloths from ten years ago. LOL. Have a great cruise. I know that my DW and I hope to "act" like we're on our honeymoon this weekend when we sail the south caribbean (Summit Feb 13). Lives is too short.

Count me among those who think it is "cheesey" and not appropriate especially if it is a full gown with train and very wedding-ish. Now if it was something slinky that you would wear to a destination wedding, well then it really could be worn as a formal gown (no veil though).

And for the person commenting on mother of bride/groom dresses - well those are formals, there is really nothing that makes them stand out as part of a wedding party. In fact for three of my children's wedding, I bought my formal mother of the bride/groom dress at a regular store - not a bridal store. Even bridesmaid dresses today are more formal like evening gowns - the bouffant skirts and puffy sleeves and bows are gone. Most only look like a bridesmaid dress if there is more than one person wearing the dress at the same time.

The dress is fairly simple. Off the shoulder and fitted through the waist. No big skirt. Only a slight train that gets bundled up in the back. We had a small outdoor wedding in my mom's back yard so you can imagine the dress isn't that elaborate. If it were in a different color (not white) no one would think anything of it. If I could figure out how to post a picture of us from our August 2000 wedding, I would. I would probably get an updo (hair) for the event but I would skip the veil. Hubby wore his black tuxedo for the wedding but he wore it with a regular white shirt and long black tie, not a bow tie.

Anyway, thank you to you all. We very likely will do it. I only wish our five year-old son was coming along on this cruise. He'll be a grandma's with all of his cousins for the week....the reason we are taking the cruise!

P.S. I liked the poster that mentioned the bigger diamond! If only hubby could clue in!

Let's see now, we are talking about if something related to a wedding is 'cheesy'? Some think the OP wearing her wedding dress for formal night on an anniversary cruise is 'cheesy'??

This is related to a ceremony where:

- people walk down an aisle to some of the most hokey music trying to look happy with their choice?

- a crowd of people in church have to act that Aunt Martha's rendition of 'You are My Love' isn't off-key and way too long??

- Someone sticks their hands up some woman's dress and takes a garter off and throws it to a bunch of drunk guys???

- a couple takes pieces of cake and 'feed' each other, usually ending with one of them pushing the cake into the other's face???

- A woman turns her back on a group of woman and throws a bunch of flowers the women fight over or run away from????

- some drunk stands up and tries to embarrass their must-married friends by telling 'secrets' about them?????

- a woman exausted from planning her 'ultimate' ceremony then has to stand in the middle of the dance floor and dance cheek-cheek with every drunk in the room.

- a poor woman has to sit there and open the third toaster and make excited noises.

- some idiot ties stuff to the back of a couple's car, and puts stupid words all over it to embarrass the couple.

But yes, I think wearing your beautiful wedding dress again is sooooo 'cheesy'. Right.

Denny

Archived