Carnival should take Customer Service LESSONS from Disney......

suzepoo

It has become increasingly obvious to me that Carnival now cares MORE about their bottom line than about their passengers. In December, Carnival's Fantasy was not able to make it back into port due to fog, and after keeping their passengers hold up at the Mobile Civic Center all day with little or no food and drinks (and what was brought in was STALE and almost unedible), they announced that the ship would not sail until the next day and that they would be providing rooms at local hotels for those guests who wished to remain in Mobile and cruise the next day, or they would issue a FULL REFUND for those that wished to cancel, which was EXACTLY what they should have done, but about an hour later, a letter was produced and read denouncing both of those options and replacing them with "discounted" hotel rooms and "future cruise credits". Who knows at WHAT point Carnival executives decided NOT to take care of their guests, but to take care of THEMSELVES and their bottom line. They should take a VALUABLE lesson from Disney when on Saturday the Magic was unable to make it back to Port Carnaveral due to high winds. Disney may cost a little more, but it is WELL worth it when you consider the CARE and CONSIDERATION given to their guests, and the service they provide, regardless of the reason for any delays in embarkation or debarkation!!

Read this link and CONISIDER DISNEY next time you want to cruise....you will NOT be sorry!

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=3685

I agree customer service kinda stinks on Carnival. Iv run into issues myself. I think most Carnival cruisers think its worth putting up with for getting cheap cruises.

We all read of times when Carnival gives multiple answers for the same question. Maybe its lack of proper training .. or just a sign of the times.

Although I agree that Carnival should have better customer relations, I don't think you can compare Disney and Carnival. You pay for what you get. To me it's like saying how wonderful the Marriott bellhop is compared to having to carry your own luggage at the Red Roof Inn. One is $175 a night; one is $75.

We had a wonderful time on our Disney cruise, but it was also four times more than what we normally pay for Carnival. I would EXPECT it to be four times better.

Every customer-service company should learn lessons from Disney. That said, this is a classic case of "you get what you pay for". Carnival provides an excellent on-board experience for the money, but their customer service is atrocious.

I guess we have been lucky, leaving on the Triumph for our 19th Carnival cruise this Saturday and have never had any problems. We have sailed with Princess, RCCL and other lines, so we are not JUST Carnival,{ never been on Disney unfortunately} but we are very happy with Carnival's customer serrvice. We were scheduled on the Holiday the day Katrina hit. Carnival was in contact with us for three days prior to the sailing date with updates and when it was cancelled, we recieved our refund within the week. We were sailing out of New Orleans when hurricane Ivan forced a change of itenerary and two extra days at sea. We were treated very professionally and had no complaints. NOT saying that Disney is not better because we have never sailed with them, but we are VERY HAPPY with Carnival.

Customer service should STILL be important to the company you choose to cruise with....REGARDLESS of the cost....when by NO fault of your own, the ship doesn't sail when it is supposed to....and fyi....Disney is affordable if you watch the time of year you choose to cruise...

Carnival's customer service has not ALWAYS been like it is now....I've been on Carnival when, because of weather, they were unable to leave when supposed to. They took us by buses to local hotels, and not only PAID for our rooms, but also gave vouchers for food costs as well....and on top of that....issued shipboard credits to EVERY ONE for a future cruise, so this is a recent change in their policies to protect their bottom line, and that is a CHOICE they made to look after themselves over taking care of the customers...so that means I can CHOOSE to cruise another cruise line, and recommend different ones as well, as I am a travel agent, too, and my clients depend on me to advise them on DO's and DON'Ts...I say...do NOT trust Carnival to care about you or your delays in the case of weather....BUY INSURANCE!! That is what I tell my clients who choose to cruise on Carnival.

Customer service should STILL be important to the company you choose to cruise with....REGARDLESS of the cost....when by NO fault of your own, the ship doesn't sail when it is supposed to....and fyi....Disney is affordable if you watch the time of year you choose to cruise...

Carnival's customer service has not ALWAYS been like it is now....I've been on Carnival when, because of weather, they were unable to leave when supposed to. They took us by buses to local hotels, and not only PAID for our rooms, but also gave vouchers for food costs as well....and on top of that....issued shipboard credits to EVERY ONE for a future cruise, so this is a recent change in their policies to protect their bottom line, and that is a CHOICE they made to look after themselves over taking care of the customers...so that means I can CHOOSE to cruise another cruise line, and recommend different ones as well, as I am a travel agent, too, and my clients depend on me to advise them on DO's and DON'Ts...I say...do NOT trust Carnival to care about you or your delays in the case of weather....BUY INSURANCE!! That is what I tell my clients who choose to cruise on Carnival.

I agree with this. I don't equate one with the other, that's just an excuse. This problem was also created by management, not some lower level dude on the phone with no authority to make a decision.

.I say...do NOT trust Carnival to care about you or your delays in the case of weather....BUY INSURANCE!! That is what I tell my clients who choose to cruise on Carnival.

I would say that is wise advice regardless of which cruise, hotel, air or travel related company you deal with.

Customer service should STILL be important to the company you choose to (do business) with....REGARDLESS of the cost....

This is true, but the reality often does not match up with the ideal.

I'm not making excuses for Carnival, just stating in other words that if excellent pre- and post-cruise customer service is important to you, Carnival probably isn't for you.

I'm the kind of guy who does all the research myself, books the cruise using an online discount TA, then handles all the details myself. I don't benefit from that kind of hand-holding customer service, so it's just not important to me.

Alas, most big companies today care zip about customer service. Ever try and buy a computer form that great American company Dell? You know, the one that is 99% located in India? That one. They couldn't care less about customer service. If they did they wouldn't have sold their souls to India. Its all about the "bottom line baby" and it always will be until people start buying elsewhere. If Carnival's customer service is bad enough, people will buy elsewhere and Carnival will be forced to change or go out of business. Its why when I was treated like a common waif by Dell-India, I decided to buy from a local guy and tell everyone I know to do the same. Sooner or later Dell will get the message. Same thing here. If its bad enough, they'll tick enough people off to make them move to Disney or RCI.

I am having a hard time taking your words seriously because of your use of random capitalization.

I was considering a Disney cruise last week. Then I looked at the prices!!! :eek::eek::eek:

But, today I just priced a Med 12 cruise on the new Carnival Magic, cove balcony. Then I priced the new Disney ship, same dates but for a regular balcony cabin, the price was $600 less on Disney. And if I compare reg balcony to balcony cabins for both lines the price was $1000 more on Carnival.

Let's see now................

Disney is generally pricier than Carnival. We all agree that Carnival's service levels should be like those at disney.

Morton's Steak house is generally pricier than McDonalds. Should McDonalds service be as good as Morton's Steak House?

Carnival Cruise Line has been the most successful cruise operator in the world since the mid-1990's.

They have had the highest customer satisfaction ratings of any cruise line in the world every year since 1994.

They have the highest occupancy numbers of any cruise line. Their ships are always fully booked.

They have the highest profit margin of any cruise line in the world.

I personally would never even consider sailing on a Carnival ship.

But consider this:

They already have the world's highest customer satisfaction ratings.

They already have the world's highest occupancy. Their ships are all full.

They already have the world's highest profits of any cruise line.

Many millions of Americans have already voted for Carnival in a most convincing way - with their wallets.

In 2009, one of the worst financial years in American History, Carnival had the highest profits in their company history.

What could Carnival possibly hope to achieve by spending additional time, effort, and money to increase their service levels?

But, today I just priced a Med 12 cruise on the new Carnival Magic, cove balcony. Then I priced the new Disney ship, same dates but for a regular balcony cabin, the price was $600 less on Disney. And if I compare reg balcony to balcony cabins for both lines the price was $1000 more on Carnival.

What dates?

This is interesting because just checking a random sailing date in July 2011, Disney is about $3000 more for an inside than Carnival with a balcony. ;)

While I agree with you just take a look at any Caribbean sailing and compare.

Europe is not either line's bread and butter.

It has become increasingly obvious to me that Carnival now cares MORE about their bottom line than about their passengers. In December, Carnival's Fantasy was not able to make it back into port due to fog, and after keeping their passengers hold up at the Mobile Civic Center all day with little or no food and drinks (and what was brought in was STALE and almost unedible), they announced that the ship would not sail until the next day and that they would be providing rooms at local hotels for those guests who wished to remain in Mobile and cruise the next day, or they would issue a FULL REFUND for those that wished to cancel, which was EXACTLY what they should have done, but about an hour later, a letter was produced and read denouncing both of those options and replacing them with "discounted" hotel rooms and "future cruise credits". Who knows at WHAT point Carnival executives decided NOT to take care of their guests, but to take care of THEMSELVES and their bottom line. They should take a VALUABLE lesson from Disney when on Saturday the Magic was unable to make it back to Port Carnaveral due to high winds. Disney may cost a little more, but it is WELL worth it when you consider the CARE and CONSIDERATION given to their guests, and the service they provide, regardless of the reason for any delays in embarkation or debarkation!!

Read this link and CONISIDER DISNEY next time you want to cruise....you will NOT be sorry!

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=3685

I certainly am not a Carnival loyalist and I don't think what they did should have happened if it did happen just as you said, but Disney, a little more? Compared to the Fantasy it is probably 2 to 3 times more. I don't have the dates so am just estimating, but I can assure you it is close to at least doubled..

Nita

What dates?

This is interesting because just checking a random sailing date in July 2011, Disney is about $3000 more for an inside than Carnival with a balcony. ;)

I did see Disney starting at $999 for Europe where Carnival started at $829.

I would be interested in those dates as well.

yes it has always been about like it is now and yes, you are right about it should be better, but Disney is not affordable for many. People with children (those are the ones that cruise Disney) have to go during high season. I have been in the business quite a few years and can assure you many customers can not afford Disney, plus it isn't for everyone..

As for buying insurance, anyone who cruises on anyline, anytime that does not buy insurance is taking a gamble..I tell all my clients to buy insurance, I cringe when they decide not to. If you are an agent, I am sure you do the same. It has nothing to do with what you are talking about on this post.

I just noticed, in your profile you list your occupation as a legal assistant, but you say you are a travel agent..I never thought they were the same or are you a part time, at home, agent that deals mainly with a few family members? I certainly don't have time to be an agent and hold down another job...

Nita

yes it has always been about like it is now and yes, you are right about it should be better, but Disney is not affordable for many. People with children (those are the ones that cruise Disney) have to go during high season. I have been in the business quite a few years and can assure you many customers can not afford Disney, plus it isn't for everyone..

As for buying insurance, anyone who cruises on anyline, anytime that does not buy insurance is taking a gamble..I tell all my clients to buy insurance, I cringe when they decide not to. If you are an agent, I am sure you do the same. It has nothing to do with what you are talking about on this post. By the way, I don't know when or what Carnival ship you have cruised but I can never remember a time when they gave free hotels because of weather delays anymore than airlines usually do..

Nita

as I am a travel agent, too, and my clients depend on me to advise them on DO's and DON'Ts...I say...do NOT trust Carnival to care about you or your delays in the case of weather....BUY INSURANCE!! That is what I tell my clients who choose to cruise on Carnival.

Bingo--another "here here" for trip insurance. No griping, no whining, no worries. Some frustrations and aggravation, yeah, but I never depend on things going smoothly until I'm on board and the ship has left the dock--even then one never knows what the captain will do. He has no control over the weather, or disasters on land or sea. We've been delayed before, just expect it.

Although I agree that Carnival should have better customer relations, I don't think you can compare Disney and Carnival. You pay for what you get. To me it's like saying how wonderful the Marriott bellhop is compared to having to carry your own luggage at the Red Roof Inn. One is $175 a night; one is $75.

We had a wonderful time on our Disney cruise, but it was also four times more than what we normally pay for Carnival. I would EXPECT it to be four times better.

My sentiments exctly. We just sailed disney on January 23, 2010. Great customer service, but did it make up for the difference in price? Not for me.

Archived