Rear Facing Cabins- Pros? Cons?

SailinC2C

We love the look of the cabins that face off the back of the ship. However, when we are running on the Promenade Deck, we can't help but notice how noisy it is at the back from the engines stirring up the water. Do you hear this in the rear cabins?

To me there are no cons. i love the noise of the wake. it puts me to sleep... this last time we had a side-facing balcony and I didn't like that

siince the only noise we heard was people talking, and they were everywhere we looked, up, down, to the left, the right:eek: no privacy!

We are sailing in April 2010 on the Grand Princess in E730 on a Transatlantic from FLL to Southampton UK..... :) HOT shouldn't be a problem while crossing the Atlantic, and we know what to expect as far as 'soothing' wake 'noise', to put us to sleep!

YAWN.... Getting sleepy already...... ;) And the view in the AM is 'to die for'!!! :D

we were lucky enough to get an aft corner cabin on the Caribbean Princess , and we glad to see a pic of it on another forum . It doesnt exactly wrap around, but has a curved end to it, offering a slightly bettr view.

I am not so sure the aft balconies are as popular as some claim. Whenever I have been offered a suite upgrade at the last minute it has always been an aft suite. I have never been offered a midship or a forward suite upgrade. So I believe that as far as the suites go, afts book last.

Definitely not the case, it's the forward suites that are the least popular. We always book suites and often have a problem in securing an aft suite but are always offered on of those either mid-ships or forward. Our US T/A is a personal friend of mine and he's said many times that the aft suites are first to go.

With an upgrade, you will be given what just happens to come up and for Princess it's easier to move just one lot of people to another cabin than to move several bookings up the ladder at the last minute.

Definitely not the case, it's the forward suites that are the least popular. We always book suites and often have a problem in securing an aft suite but are always offered on of those either mid-ships or forward. Our US T/A is a personal friend of mine and he's said many times that the aft suites are first to go.

With an upgrade, you will be given what just happens to come up and for Princess it's easier to move just one lot of people to another cabin than to move several bookings up the ladder at the last minute.

I agree - I actually think aft suites go first.

I have sailed aft on many lines and I love the aft cabins. They are always my first choice!

• 4 weeks later...

Additionally to all that has been posted, there is virtually no wind, even if it is blowing hard on the port and starboard balconies. We love the sound of the water, but will avoid the vents on all future cruises. Were on CB in Suite C748, never again. The small ship aft corner cabins are very spacious, the best in the fleet, other than the Grand Suite on a few ships.

We love the look of the cabins that face off the back of the ship. However, when we are running on the Promenade Deck, we can't help but notice how noisy it is at the back from the engines stirring up the water. Do you hear this in the rear cabins?

I haven't read this whole thread yet, so forgive me if I repeat others.

I loved the aft cabin (B755 on Ruby), but there was a lot of noise when underway. Not uncomfortable or unbearable, but not quiet and peaceful like a more forward cabin. What we did notice, and DW really didn't like, was a smell of 'garbage' or old food that wafted down from above us. At first I thought it was just because we were in some warmwater ports, which can sometimes be smelly, but it was present for the full 30 day cruise, and only noticable while underway, so it must have been coming from the main stacks. Garbage incineration maybe?

What I did love was the view both port and starboard, as well as straight aft. And we didn't notice any vent noise - just the wake noise. We are going back to more forward cabins for the next two cruises. After that, we may try a full aft again.

While I know that some people find the aft cabins noisey, but because they have so few neighbors, and no tiered balconies like the port and startbard sides, i think there is a lot less noise from neighbors......it's all personal preference

• 1 year later...
[quote name='Guil']Hi, we are going on CB May 9th we're in cabin B749. I'm very excited since this will be our first aft cabin. Looking forward to it :)
If you have any pic of the cabin/balcony would love to see it....[/QUOTE]

I was just reading through some posts on aft cabins and found yours about staying in B749, which is the same one we stayed in on the Crown. Just curious to hear you liked it.

I forgot how bad the noise level is on the balconies. You do have to shout to talk. And you can not hear anyone knock at your door. So, make sure you are dressed out there or someone may walk in a see you.
The other thing that I didn't like was that you could hear the metal door down the hall slam all the time. That is the door to the "crew only" stairs on the side. People know about it because they use it for the muster drill. BUT everyone just lets it slam. It's terrible when you are in the cabin without tv on.

Archived