Serenade or Radiance

RellaKay

Hi everyone! I am probabaly asking this on the wrong board but when I went to the Alaska board it said not to post any new questions. Anyway, I have a few of questions. Please be easy on me-Alaska is a whole new experience for us!

We are wanting to go on an Alaskan cruise for our 5 year anniversary in 2012. I know that is 2 years away, but it will take us that long to be able to pay for this. I have read that May and Septemeber are the best months to go but I am on "school schedule". I will only have June and July off of work. Other than seeing all of the beauty, we would also like to see the whales, dolphins and my husband would love to see the bears! So, with that information-here are my questions----

Which ship would you prefer to go on for the Alaska cruise-Radiance or Serenade and why?

Which month would be better-June or July?

I know we can't afford the cruisetour. I am really hoping that we can afford just a 7 day. That being said, would we be able to really experience Alaska without the cruisetour.

I know nothing about any of the port of calls that Alaska has. Is there a certain itenary that is better than the other?

Any help, advice or comments would be greatly appreciated! Again, I am sorry if this is the wrong place. I have been reading some on the Alaska board, but there are lots of pages to get through.

Thanks in advance!

Cindy

You are an advance planner, like I am. The problem is, they only set schedules about 18 months in advance. They move ships around pretty frequently, so there is no telling which, if either, of these two ships will still be going to Alaska in two years.

That said, they are sister ships, same class, so virtually identical. Serenade is newer than Radiance, so maybe in better shape. Radiance has reported frequent plumbing problems, but they are supposed to be cleared up by the end of this year, so they would not impact your vacation.

Both are great ships to see Alaska. We have been on both. Your best bet would be to narrow it down to a specific time and when the schedules are released see which intin. works best. Flights, pricing etc. will some into play. The Serenade is not scheduled to Alaska this year but I seem to remember hearing/reading that it will resume back in 2011. Keep your eyes open for that.

Having sailed both Serenade and Radiance (sisters ships) both are great!

Its been rumored that the Radiance will not return to Alaska after the 2010 season. :(

IF (and that a big IF) the Alaska itineraries hold as they have in the past, the Radiance will do either a north or south sailing...in other words one way passage. That gives you the advantage of adding on a land tour either pre or post to see the interior of Alaska....ie, Denali National Park, Anchorage....bears, wildlife and awesome scenery!!

The Serenade does a round trip from Vancouver.....start and end same port. The chance of seeing wildlife is limited unless you take a tour.

Both cruises visit the same ports of the inside passage and will be an awesome cruise.

As far as to answer June or July, both are equal and one week can have great weather while the next is not.

Either way Alaska is beautiful...whales, glaciers.....it will not disappoint you, even if you don't see bears or encounter any other wildlife.

Have fun planning!!! :)

There is no telling which ships will be doing Alaska and from what port. Seattle is the choice because of the port tax in Vancouver. What will be 2012's schedule is still a question. For 2011 it's a choice between a Vision class ship and Radiance. With that choice I'd choose Radiance.

Either ship would be great...We liked the inside passage....Vancouver - Seward...but sailing south would be just as wonderful..Seems like you get to see more on a oneway rather than a roundtrip...Enjoy Alaska !!!

The Radiance is heading to Australia 2011 thru 2012. We love the Radiance class but have only been on the BOS & ROS. Each Crusie ship have their own crew, but have always had fabulous service on RCL. I agree, when the schedules come out compare itneraries and cost and see which works best for you.

Anyone who has told you that May and September are the best months to go to Alaska is either misinformed or is basing that comment on the fact that prices are generally lower during those months. There are some significant problems going to Alaska at those times and if you can go in June, July or August you might be better off. Weather in Alaska is typically a crapshoot but the hours of daylight are longer in June and definitely shorter by September. Depending on the dates in May when you would be traveling, some things (shops, excursions) might not be open or fully operational and the same can apply to cruises in September when the cruise season is coming to a close. Average temperatures, and remember that these are only averages and there are no guarantees that they will be the temperatures you will experience when you go, are higher in the early and mid-summer months. Do some extensive research on Alaska before you make definite plans. Most questions that you might have are probably already being discussed on the Alaska board so don't be afraid to go on there and participate in the discussions or, at the very least, read the posts which will provide you with the kind of information that will be invaluable to your enjoyment of an Alaskan cruise. There are posts on the Alaska board which debate the relative advantages and disadvantages of sailing from Seattle vs Vancouver, so you may want to read those to get a more balanced view of the merits of either.

It is much too early to know which ships will be sailing in Alaska in 2012, but the 2011 schedule will be released next month and may provide some clues. The 2012 deployment schedules will most likely be published around the same dates in 2011.We are returning to Alaska for the first time in 11 years and are wondering why we have taken so long to do so. It is a special place and well worth visiting.:)

I definitely recommended dealing with a knowledgable TA when booking your cruise to Alaska. He or she can advise you on not only the RCI ships that will be sailing there but also the ships of other lines which will be offering similar cruises. The advice that a travel agent gains either from personal experience gained on Alaska cruises or from the feedback provided by the numerous clients who cruised their will help maximize your enjoyment of your cruise.

WOW! Thanks for all of the replies! Does anyone have an idea of when the itentaries would come out for 2012? Also, I have always dealt with a TA. Is that still the best way for and Alaska cruise. I saw there were many sites dedicated to Alaska so I didn't know if that would be better.

Thanks!

Cindy

WOW! Thanks for all of the replies! Does anyone have an idea of when the itentaries would come out for 2012? Also, I have always dealt with a TA. Is that still the best way for and Alaska cruise. I saw there were many sites dedicated to Alaska so I didn't know if that would be better.

Thanks!

Cindy

Itineraries will be opened for booking on 3/22/10.

We can't afford a cruise tour either. But we are splurging for a nice tour of the area between Seward and Anchorage on our last day. Salmonberry Tours has a 6 hour tour where they pick us up at the end of our cruise and see the sights. The tour ends at the airport. I believe it goes to a Wildlife Refuge. Plus a stop at Aleyska Ski Resort for a tram ride up and lunch up top.

Obviously we are wanting to do the north bound from Vancouver to Seward.

I read those posting rules over on the Alaska board too. I think it is referring to they don't want tour operators to post advertisements endorsing their companies. That is a guess. If you have specific questions, I don't see why you couldn't post them on there.

Anyway, we are hoping to go June 2011.

I am also contemplating another splurge at the beginning of our trip. For us, it costs the same to fly into Vancouver as it does to Victoria. We love Victoria. We could fly there 1 day early and see it. Then the next morning take one of those commuter seaplanes over to Vancouver and board the ship (a 35 minute flight). I have no idea if we'll actually do that, but I'm thinking it over.

If not, we'll just grab a 4* hotel on Priceline for downtown Vancouver and head to the ship the next day. I think there are several things to see in Vancouver (Grouse Mountain, the trolley ride, Stanley Park, etc) It has been neat to see some of the pretty scenery in and around Vancouver on the olympics each night.

We're still in the planning stages too.

Have fun planning!

p.s. Edited to add Hello to you in Indiana! We're from Plainfield.

NegC..I guess we were very lucky when we sailed on ROS northbound YVR-ANC on May 22 '09..We had wonderful weather and lots of daylight didn't get dark until about 10:00pm and since it was at the beginning of the season everyone in the ports seemed very glad to see us and the stores were well stocked..I think it might be better to go at the beginning rather than at the end of the season..And yes we did get a great price...Booked at the end of Feb.'09 a JS GTY and was upgraded to a GS two days after booking...We especially enjoyed the Train from Seward to the Anchorage airport..one of the best transfers we've ever had...Hard not to enjoy Alaska whenever you are able to go...Happy cruising to all !!!!

NegC..I guess we were very lucky when we sailed on ROS northbound YVR-ANC on May 22 '09..We had wonderful weather and lots of daylight didn't get dark until about 10:00pm and since it was at the beginning of the season everyone in the ports seemed very glad to see us and the stores were well stocked..I think it might be better to go at the beginning rather than at the end of the season..And yes we did get a great price...Booked at the end of Feb.'09 a JS GTY and was upgraded to a GS two days after booking...We especially enjoyed the Train from Seward to the Anchorage airport..one of the best transfers we've ever had...Hard not to enjoy Alaska whenever you are able to go...Happy cruising to all !!!!

How lucky to be upgraded that soon after booking!

Given the option of going earlier rather than later in the season, I would agree and would also choose to sail in May rather than September for many of the reasons you mentioned. Weather is a crapshoot in Alaska regardless of when you sail. However, on average, I believe that chances of better conditions are more likely in June, July and the early part of August than in early May (which I would define as the first week or two in May and not as late as the 22nd of the month). The reason for my original post was only to point out that few people would argue that May or September are the "best" months to sail in Alaska unless they are basing that solely on price.

Given the option of going earlier rather than later in the season, I would agree and would also choose to sail in May rather than September for many of the reasons you mentioned. Weather is a crapshoot in Alaska regardless of when you sail. However, on average, I believe that chances of better conditions are more likely in June, July and the early part of August than in early May (which I would define as the first week or two in May and not as late as the 22nd of the month). The reason for my original post was only to point out that few people would argue that May or September are the "best" months to sail in Alaska unless they are basing that solely on price.

No disagreement here.....just offering an experience...Best to all..:)

Cindy- I can't help you on choosing a ship (our first sailing on the Serenade is this July- from San Juan). But I can definitely recommend a 7 or 8 day one-way cruise along the Alaskan/Canadian coast- a magnificent and beautiful area. We flew to Anchorage (and bussed to Seward to pick up the ship), then sailed south, ending in Vancouver. I wish we could have added on a cruise-tour, but we just couldn't afford it. We thought about not doing the cruise- and saving up until we could "do it all" but realized that that might never happen.

I like Cheryl H's ideas about adding onto the beginning and end of your cruise on your own. You would see more of the "land" for a lot less than the cruiseline's land-tour.

We cruised in June (and were on the cruise for the longest day- you'll be spending a lot of time out on deck- the shore line is visible for most of the trip- and most of the "night!"). Weather varied (as it probably does all summer).

Have fun planning!

I have lived in Alaska for 37 years - most of which was in Southeast Alaska. The best months in my opinion are (in order of best to worst): June, July, May, August, September. The weather in May can be great and the daylight hours are long. August and September tend to get wetter as fall approaches. If I had a choice of a low-cost fare in May or September, I would definitely choose May. With all that said, the weather can be nice one week and bad the next all Spring, Summer and Fall long. I would avoid a cruise in the Winter (ha ha).

OP : I'm not sure where you read not to post new questions on the Alaska board. I've been hanging out there for nearly a year ( since I booked Alaska 2010 ) and have posted many new questions.

I'm glad, however, you did post your question here as the wealth of replies, as ever, has been brilliant.

The shower curtain thing still amuses me and I've yet to make the commitment to purchase a clip or peg for this...... ;)

We were on Radiance back in June 2007 southbound from Anchorage to Vancouver and had fantastic weather although i beleive the northbound trip the week before ours was pretty rough,it just comes down to luck i think.The northbound trip after ours had great weather also we were told by some aussies we ran into later in our trip.Hubbard Glacier was amazing as were all our other stops on the way like Ketchikan,Juneau etc.WOW,I hope the rumour is true that Radiance is coming down under,we will have to start saving our money.It is a fantastic ship.If you take the southbound trip,the Coastal classic train from Anchorage to Seward is a great way to get down to the ship.

Thanks to everyone for all of your advice. I am still reading on the Alaska board but I am very glad I posted here. I have learned alot! I knew if I wanted to know anything that this would definately be the place to come to!

Cheryl H.-Wow you are really close! We are in Terre Haute.

Archived