Time to try another Cruise Line Maybe??

memabumpee

Call me jaded or whatever...but' date=' I cruise for the [b']SEA and for ME[/b]....anything else is just gravy.

I kinda fall into this niche also. Carnival gives me superior pricing for a SOLO, clean well-crewed ships, good food (I'm hardly a gourmet) and the SEA. I can't remember the last time something didn't work or I received poor service. Always a great time. Was passed by the beautiful Mariner on the last cruise to the Riviera and would maybe consider that (no fly) ship of RCI, but as Grandpa would say, "If it ain't broke, why fix it ?"

The regular CD has been on vacation since Janaury 24th. He is gone til April I think

Felipe Cavuto has been filling in for him and have never heard so much criticism of a CD as on our cruise.

Should have been trying to impress instead he went the other way.

I did have a good time, READ THE OP and I did enjoy my cruise again READ THE OP I have cruised with Carnival 29 times so I do know what I am talking about, the coffee is terrible and the little things are missing, Yes Carnival still has the best price I do get a nice Military discount, and Carnival can not control the weather. My comment was referring to the fact that the ship did not have enough power to get away from the dock in Jamaica. I never ate the mints in the past I was just stating the fact that now they are missing, We almost always left the MDR before the dances and singing and did not care for them but another thing missing I have cruise 3 times in the past year and on the Glory, Splendor and Pride they did have fruit punch, No ship pins for anyone unless your Platnum when in the past all Past Cruisers got the pins HOW much can the pin cost again another thing gone and in total how much money is Carnival saving? Not as much as the business I think they will loose, several other threads about how the food quality has gone downhill, I agree still good but not as good as it was. Per the cruise director Felipe not Flipper Carnival has stopped printing the Carnival Capers as of 26 feb 2010. If that is not true then the Cruise Director lied to us.Again just my opinion and I will still keep cruising and I am sure will go Carnival again But will try the Oasis of the Seas as we docked near it in Port Everglades and it is HUGE.

I did have a good time, READ THE OP and I did enjoy my cruise again READ THE OP I have cruised with Carnival 29 times so I do know what I am talking about, the coffee is terrible and the little things are missing, Yes Carnival still has the best price I do get a nice Military discount, and Carnival can not control the weather. My comment was referring to the fact that the ship did not have enough power to get away from the dock in Jamaica. I never ate the mints in the past I was just stating the fact that now they are missing, We almost always left the MDR before the dances and singing and did not care for them but another thing missing I have cruise 3 times in the past year and on the Glory, Splendor and Pride they did have fruit punch, No ship pins for anyone unless your Platnum when in the past all Past Cruisers got the pins HOW much can the pin cost again another thing gone and in total how much money is Carnival saving? Not as much as the business I think they will loose, several other threads about how the food quality has gone downhill, I agree still good but not as good as it was. Per the cruise director Felipe not Flipper Carnival has stopped printing the Carnival Capers as of 26 feb 2010. If that is not true then the Cruise Director lied to us.Again just my opinion and I will still keep cruising and I am sure will go Carnival again But will try the Oasis of the Seas as we docked near it in Port Everglades and it is HUGE.

Yes the Carnival Capers is not being printed but it is being replaced with Fun Times, same thing as far as I am concerned

no more fruit punch on the Lido, Been gone for at least a year, the guave blend now in the buffet makes a pretty good replacement for use as a mixer.

No more mints on your pillows, Still had them on my pillow every night last December on the Triumph.

they changed coffee brand and it is HORRIBLE, Don't know about the changing brands, but I have never been a big fan of the onboard coffee.

no more ship pins unless your Platnum. They started phasing them out the middle of last year. Some ships still have a supply at the Pursers desk. All you have to do is ask.

no more capers Now they are calling it the fun times or something like that, This is a bad thing how? It is just a name.

several changes to the Menu which meant less choices, Menu look very full to me. You can order one or more every thing on it if you wish.

On this cruise we were late for everything due to TECHNICAL problems Man made mechanical devices break

we could not pull out of Jamaica due to high winds,

And it is Carnivals and the Catpains fault that the weather was not perfect everyday of your cruise. Ports are changed for the safety of the ship, passangers and crew.

Mass confusion when it came to embarkation, That can certainly be a problem it seems these days with more people cruising on the bigger ships.

Waitstaff do not perform everynight as they use do not that we care about that but just more thing that they have changed or eliminated,

And this is a bad thing how? I don't think singing and dancing on the tables when people are trying to eat if exactly condusive to enjoying a good meal.

noticed they were pushing the booze more than ever before on this cruise and prices have gone up. Ain't that the truth. With the affordable prices that Carnival charges I quess they feel that they need to make it up by pushing more watered down drinks.

and last but not least no more free drinks at the captains think only $1.00 off again not that we care but one more thing gone True, Formal/Elegant night is a thing of the past. They have added a new party on the last night with free drinks, so nothing lost.

Why stick with one line anyways? Each one has its pros and cons but your still on a ship, and the mindset is vacation. We dont let the little things bother us and cant wait to try RCCL and the Oasis! ;)

I think you will find a HUGE price tag too :o!

Yes the Carnival Capers is not being printed but it is being replaced with Fun Times, same thing as far as I am concerned

Agreed!

But...I wonder if some point - when more ships are outfitted with Fun Hub - they will stop printing them and go to an all electronic version :confused:.

Now...if they would go to an all electonic system for the photos THAT would be awesome ;) !!

If those are the reasons you want to switch, you might be disappointed to find it's not just Carnival doing this. They're all cutting back on those little things like mints and such.

Personally, we switched because we tried Carnival twice. First time was great, second was so so. We still had a good time, but it just wasn't "there" for us like it was the first time. We decided to try NCL instead for a price that beat Carnival for the first time since I started looking at other lines and with more days and an awesome itinerary.

I don't believe in brand loyalty at all. I purchase what I like at the price I want to pay. If one doesn't meet that criteria any longer, then it's on to the next. ;)

I kind of agree with the OP. I'm just off a Carnival Cruise that was perfectly fine, although with the wonderful views from my balcony, it would be hard to make me unhappy.

I have thought of changing cruise lines. I for one can't stand the drink prices that Carnival charges anymore. I think that they should have a drink card for alcoholic beverages similar to Celebrity's. I think the meals are okay. They are well presented, and reasonably good, but not really good as they sometimes used to be.

Entertainment seems to me to be uninspiring and the cutbacks seem awesome here. There have been some pretty good for charge features added, however, such as the Behind the Scenes tour and, although I have not been on a ship offering this yet, the Dinner with the Chef (or whatever it is called).

I think Carnival gives a good value, but so does Marriott Courtyard. I can't afford the Four Seasons or Seabourne.

But everytime I think of trying another moderately priced line, the thing that keeps me coming back to Carnival is that I think they are good for kids. Hamburgers, hotdogs, pizza, soft ice cream and all the stuff that is not readily available at home (and that adults probably should not eat at all), the slides, mini-golf. As a whole it works out for my family.

I do wish they would stop all the constant pestering, however, for those up-price offerings, art auctions, and for heaven's sake Diamond's International. I do see where the OP was coming from.

I think anyone who feels the need to try other lines certainly should. I just looked at August bookings out of Miami and both Princess and Royal cruises are within $100 of Valor. And these aren't for the older ships either. Go for it.

i agree the service has went down and they dont seem to care when you say something to them but i also will still sail with them but after 15 ccl cruises have tried rccl and ncl and enjoyed both and thought service was better on both and as far as price the rccl cruise was the best per day of any cruise we have taken you just have to shop around before you call the company.

We got off of the Pride this morning. After this one we are re-thinking ever going on a cruise again.

Reasons:

1) Wait staff in main dining room are slow.

2) Not once did the bar staff in the main dining room ask if we wanted drinks.

3) Bar service in lounges was terrible.

4) I went to the bar got drinks and took them to the table myself. Empty glass was still on the table 2.5 hours later.

5) Food was mostly tasteless.

6) Empty food trays stayed on tables longest of any cruise i've been on.

6) During the deck party they opened the retractable roof. It was 50 degrees outside and very windy.

7) shows were cheezy; comedians were OK; ventriloqist was good.

8) Off duty staff were present in lounges and were very rude. Talked very loudly during performances.

9) $30 dollars each to eat in steak house

10) Most importantly, water is terrible. Stinks and tastes awful. I had to go to store at first port and purchase tea so I had something to drink.

The Jafar band is the best band on the 7 seas. They would be the best entertainment on the ship if they were only half as good. However, they were constantly preempted by other entertainment. They were only allowed to play about two hours a night.

I must thank you rdler for understanding what I am saying and not reading into everything that was said. Thanks for reading the post and understanding when a general comment is being made. The others that are saying the food and service has gone downhill Thank you also for understanding that we are not looking for 5 star food and or service but it should be better then the local fast food joint.

I must thank you rdler for understanding what I am saying and not reading into everything that was said. Thanks for reading the post and understanding when a general comment is being made. The others that are saying the food and service has gone downhill Thank you also for understanding that we are not looking for 5 star food and or service but it should be better then the local fast food joint.

What about me? :confused::(

According to some talking heads at CCL, they cut certain things based on the fact they are not being consumed, such as mints and pins. I even leave behind a number of Platinum gifts because there are only so many tote bags, thermoses and picture frames that a person needs.

I've also cruised over 11 different lines, some that no longer exist, and make my own fun on each one. If I'm not cooking and I'm not cleaning, I really could care less, and I find that a little kindness assures good service without even asking.

If you've never tried another line, how will you know what they have already cut back?

Just returned from the Freedom 6 day and had a great time on the cruise as we were with family and had a wonderful vacation as we do every Feb school break. I must say that Carnival has changed a lot of little things, no more fruit punch on the Lido, No more mints on your pillows, they changed coffee brand and it is HORRIBLE, no more ship pins unless your Platnum. no more capers Now they are calling it the fun times or something like that, several changes to the Menu which meant less choices, On this cruise we were late for everything due to TECHNICAL problems we could not pull out of Jamaica due to high winds, Mass confusion when it came to embarkation, Waitstaff do not perform everynight as they use do not that we care about that but just more thing that they have changed or eliminated, noticed they were pushing the booze more than ever before on this cruise and prices have gone up. and last but not least no more free drinks at the captains think only $1.00 off again not that we care but one more thing gone OK I have my flame suit on so let me have it. Just my opinion anyone else notice the difference.

No flames, but one correction since you sound like you want everything to be represented honestly.

Yes, the Captain's Party has changed....BUT THEY ADDED the Farewell Party on the last night with FREE DRINKS....so nothing was taken away...discount drinks were ADDED.....just in a different format.

I've cruised with RCCL twice and loved both cruises. In April I'll be going on my 1st CCL cruise and I'm so excited about it. I'm sure there will be things I liked on RCCL better than CCL and vice versa.

I can't wait to cruise with CCL!!! Whether I get mints on my pillow or not, I'm going to enjoy every minute of my 7 night Southern Caribbean cruise with CCL.

Life is to too short to sweat the small stuff!!!! It's all small stuff!!!

I agree. We also tried NCL last year, and were very disappointed. The food was just so so, the service was lacking, and the entertainment was just OK. The main dining room food was not appealing to us, and they have more upsell restaurants than anything else. We feel we paid for our tickets, we should not have to pay more money for decent food. We're on the Valor on 3/21 and am really looking forward to cruising Carnival again!

Just a note to those that have been following this thread Yes they added the farewell party but for those that have the LATE seating be prepared to stay dressed for 2 hours and 15 minutes AFTER THE FAREWELL party because the dress is Cruise Elegant for that farewell party I wear suits everyday and enjoy not waring suits and jackets. I know to each his own but I just wanted to point this out to the people that think I am only complaining about the small stuff. As stated in OP we had a nice cruise and enjoyed it very much just noted that they have eliminated or changed many small things. The farewell party is 5pm to 6 pm so it is not a solid hour for those that have chosen the early seating.

Just returned from the Freedom 6 day and had a great time on the cruise as we were with family and had a wonderful vacation as we do every Feb school break. I must say that Carnival has changed a lot of little things, no more fruit punch on the Lido, No more mints on your pillows, they changed coffee brand and it is HORRIBLE, no more ship pins unless your Platnum. no more capers Now they are calling it the fun times or something like that, several changes to the Menu which meant less choices, On this cruise we were late for everything due to TECHNICAL problems we could not pull out of Jamaica due to high winds, Mass confusion when it came to embarkation, Waitstaff do not perform everynight as they use do not that we care about that but just more thing that they have changed or eliminated, noticed they were pushing the booze more than ever before on this cruise and prices have gone up. and last but not least no more free drinks at the captains think only $1.00 off again not that we care but one more thing gone OK I have my flame suit on so let me have it. Just my opinion anyone else notice the difference.

It sounds like you're talking about the Freedom 6 day from 2/21 - 2/27. I was on this cruise too.

I noticed that we did not get mints, but I didn't care because I never ate them anyway, and by the end of the cruise would have stacks of mints on the vanity.

Our Capers were still called Capers. I have heard that on some ships they are trying out the new "fun times", but we still had Capers on this cruise.

The change in the Captain's party is pretty much old news now. I'm not exactly sure when it changed, but I was on the Freedom back in September also, and it had already changed then.

To my recollection, the fruit punch in the Lido has been gone for quite sometime--at least a year or more--so nothing new there.

Yes, we did leave Jamaica late due to high winds, but I'm glad the Captain played it safe. High winds have caused several accidents with cruise ships lately--one with 3 fatalities. Carnival can't control the weather. Leaving late from Jamaica had no serious impact on the cruise. Jamaica was our last port of call.

I agree that Carnival has cut back on a few things, but with the cost of goods going up, they probably have to unless they're going to significantly raise prices. I noticed that drinks were a little more expensive. For instance, a Canadian Club on the rocks used to be about $4.95 plus tip. Now, I noticed it was $5.50. Not a huge deal to me. This was my 9th Carnival cruise since 2002 and I have to say that in all that time, the cruise fare I pay has remained about the same. So, I'll keep cruising with Carnival. It's a good deal.

I am going to try and break this up a bit.....

Just returned from the Freedom 6 day and had a great time on the cruise as we were with family and had a wonderful vacation as we do every Feb school break. I must say that Carnival has changed a lot of little things, no more fruit punch on the Lido,

It has been that way for over a year now. Most folks don't even mention it anymore, I'm assuming because they have other juice options.

No more mints on your pillows,

I'm wondering if you asked your steward about them? We always keep the chocolates and bring them home for the kids. Last year on one of our Fantasy cruises we stopped getting chocolates on night 2 for whatever reason. I went and asked the steward about them and he gave me 2 heeping handfuls of them. Could've just been an oversite on your steward's part and asking him could have gotten you the mints.

they changed coffee brand and it is HORRIBLE,

I have never been impressed with Carnival's coffee so this is no biggie for me.

no more ship pins unless your Platnum

I was never a collector of the pins so don't miss them. Not having sailed the other mass lines in several years, do they offer pins? I have no idea.

no more capers Now they are calling it the fun times or something like that,

Is the information the same? Would it really matter if they called it "Roll Over and Die" as long as the information was the same? I cruise in September, guess I'll see.

several changes to the Menu which meant less choices,

My only complaint about the menu is that if you cruise more than once a year, you get the same stuff, different day. I've always found enough selection to eat myself stupid. For example, on a night where perhaps the entrées weren't appealing, I'd just get 3 or 4 appetizers to make up for it. Couple of desserts and I am good to go. There was never a night where nothing was appealing. And even if there was, I'd simply order a dessert and head up to the Lido and grab pizza, a sandwich or eat from the buffet. I have never gone hungry on a cruise. Ever.

On this cruise we were late for everything due to TECHNICAL problems we could not pull out of Jamaica due to high winds,

Well obviously, Carnival has NO control over the winds. You'd need address that one with whatever Higher Power you follow. Even other technical problems usually pop up at the time and the Captains do the best they can to accommodate them. While I can understand that this might upset you, if you think you will not find high winds or "technical" problems on another line, I believe you are setting yourself up for a major disappointment.

Mass confusion when it came to embarkation,

I have cruised 30 times now and have never experienced "mass confusion". Crowding, sure. While I'm sure mass confusion can happen, again, this can happen with any cruise line, and I suspect that the odds go up the higher the passenger count. Please don't think this cannot happen with another line. It will.

Waitstaff do not perform every night as they use do not that we care about that but just more thing that they have changed or eliminated,

I would personally be happy if they did away with it altogether. But a the question that comes to mind is, if this is not something that you care about, does it really matter if it's gone or not? Rhetorical.

noticed they were pushing the booze more than ever before on this cruise and prices have gone up.

Could just be me, but I have been cruising Carnival since 1984. I can remember even way back then the waiters being on deck, "Drink of the day"ing me to death. I recall the same on RCL and NCL. Perhaps HAL or Princess would not do that? Not sure.

and last but not least no more free drinks at the captains think only $1.00 off again not that we care but one more thing gone

This has been mentioned several time here also. However, it was my understanding that they replaced the "free drink" Captain's party with a "Farewell" party on the last night of the cruise where they did have an hour of free drinks. I cruised 3 times last year and noticed this party on the last 2 (which was after they instituted the Farewell party as the "free drink" venue).

OK I have my flame suit on so let me have it. Just my opinion anyone else notice the difference.

No need to "flame". I appreciate your taking the time to mention your concerns. The only thing that worries me a bit about your title is that perhaps, you have some idea that many of the issues you mentioned here cannot or will not happen on another line. If you are thinking another mass line (RCL, NCL) they can and most assuredly will happen at one time or another. If you bump up to Crystal, you might have better luck of not finding these issues, though even Crystal cannot control the weather, LOL, good as they are :)

Just a note to those that have been following this thread Yes they added the farewell party but for those that have the LATE seating be prepared to stay dressed for 2 hours and 15 minutes AFTER THE FAREWELL party because the dress is Cruise Elegant for that farewell party I wear suits everyday and enjoy not waring suits and jackets. I know to each his own but I just wanted to point this out to the people that think I am only complaining about the small stuff. As stated in OP we had a nice cruise and enjoyed it very much just noted that they have eliminated or changed many small things. The farewell party is 5pm to 6 pm so it is not a solid hour for those that have chosen the early seating.

The old 'Captain's Party' was always held on what used to be 'Formal Night'.

No difference there.

Archived