Mariner to Mexico

Well, I've done the Mexican Riviera before (on Princess) and am booked on the Mariner in May.

I chose the Mariner because of her large size. IMHO Mariner has more to offer for us and our teenage daughters in the form of entertainment. Carnival was a lot of fun. Princess was very nice. RCCL has more things to do. Again . . . IMHO. That's just my take on it.

As for the ports? I did a private deep sea fishing charter out of Cabo. Missed that port save for some local port shopping. In PV I did an all day Outdoor Adventure Canopy tour (OMG was THAT fun!!):eek:. In Xtapa/Z I walked around the cute little village.

Do you have any specific questions?

We've been on the Mariner twice, once Western Caribbean and last year to Mexican Riviera. We very much enjoyed both cruises as did our kids (now 14 & 19).

Overall there are mostly pros to this ship, however the usual cons apply such as it can get crowded by the pool, food is mainly good but some are so so, and the fact they make you get off after a week!

Don't miss the ice show, quest, love & marriage show but remember it is vacation so just go with the flow and do what you feel like (you can't do it all).

As for the Mexican itinerary the first and last days can be a bit chillier than a caribbean cruise. We actually stayed in doors on our last day and hit all the fun stuff there as it was too cold to sit by the pool (and this was in August). I've heard of some having rougher seas, but it was almost like glass for our cruise. In the ports, I would suggest a snorkeling trip in Cabo (we just went to the beach and wish we had done more), Randi's Happy Horses in Mazatlan and Los Veranos Canopy in Puerto Vallarta. My kids are still talking about the last 2 excursions, they loved them.

Overall, go with an open mind and you will enjoy it.

Did a B2B in Jan. and maybe we will book it again next year! Loved it!!:D

The ice show is great! The singer in the Pub in the Promenade is a must. All non smoking in there now too!

We love the Promenade, sitting and watching people go by, with a coffee from the Cafe.

The CD is great, Keiron Buffery. His singing is good, if you catch him entertaining somewhere on board. The pool parties at night are fun! Lots to do and now I wish we were back on board!

Have a wonderful cruise!!!!:)

We travelled from Ireland last october to sail Mariner in Mexico, it was just the most fantastic cruise - we love this ship! Everything was 100% perfect so we cant complain - we dont do much when we stop in port we just wander about ourselves and do our own exploring, weather was beautiful and i wouldnt hesitate to go back on this cruise - however OASIS has called our name for this october!!!

Anyone recently returned from this cruise. We are thinking about booking, PLEASE talk to me. Looking for the good, the bad and the ugly. Anything and everything will help us decide.

The reason I booked the Mariner for Spring Break next year (April 3) is that I am taking my then 20-year old son with us... I just think it would be a more fun environment for him than Princess. Other than that, you couldn't pry me from Princess!

From everything I have read, it will be a fabulous cruise. Also, one of the partners in my law office went on the Mariner last year and said it was really great.

In PV I did an all day Outdoor Adventure Canopy tour (OMG was THAT fun!!):eek:. In Xtapa/Z I walked around the cute little village.

Do you have any specific questions?

So the Outdoor Adv. Canopy Tour--was it zip-lining? Was it private or through the cruise line? (my fav excursion of all time is the canopy tour--ziplining--in Jamaica thru Princess. I would do it again in a heartbeat!)

As for the Mexican itinerary the first and last days can be a bit chillier than a caribbean cruise. We actually stayed in doors on our last day and hit all the fun stuff there as it was too cold to sit by the pool (and this was in August). I've heard of some having rougher seas, but it was almost like glass for our cruise. In the ports, I would suggest a snorkeling trip in Cabo (we just went to the beach and wish we had done more), Randi's Happy Horses in Mazatlan and Los Veranos Canopy in Puerto Vallarta. My kids are still talking about the last 2 excursions, they loved them.

Overall, go with an open mind and you will enjoy it.

Were those last 2 excursions thru RCCL? And was the canopy tour ziplining? (do you see a theme here?)

We love Princess, and did Disney w/ the kids the first time. But we knew when we cruised w/ the kids again it would be RCCL. (10-12-15) We actually stumbled upon this Oct cruise looking at $349pp on Carnival but when I began booking, needing one room for 3 adjoining another, the cost was no less than RCCL--and the Carnival Splendour reminded me of the Flamingo in Vegas--gaudy and PINK.

We ALWAYS have a good time on a cruise! My folks & my bro's family are going along so fun will be had by all!

The only complaint I would have is that it's not a long enough cruise. We previously have done the same 7 night itinerary and last month did a Radiance 11 night cruise to the Mex. Riv.

It's easy to do a whale watching boat tour in Cabo on your own as they leave from the marina right beside the tender dock. A large group from our roll call did so with Pez Gato booked at half the cost of same ship's tour. Go to http://www.pezgato.com/services.html

We had been to Mazatlan before so we did an easy walk about the old town area and saw the central market, cathedral, cliff divers. I got a map off of the internet to guide us.

There's all kinds of things to do in PV and I would suggest looking the port of call board for all three ports. Our roll group also did great and inexpensive tours together in PV, Acapulco and Manzanillo so I would check that board also. I realize the latter two stops doesn't apply to the Mariner cruise but I just wanted to show what can happen on the roll call.

Anyone recently returned from this cruise. We are thinking about booking, PLEASE talk to me. Looking for the good, the bad and the ugly. Anything and everything will help us decide.

I sailed on this ship last October and had a great time. I've done many RCCL ship and this ship generally lived up to other RCCL sailings I've been on with a few exceptions. I would recommend this ship.

Good: The service and staff was wonderful. It's a beautiful ship. One of the nicest I've been on. I especially loved the main indoor promenade and shopping area. The Viking Crown Lounge is always the best place to view the ocean and pool area. Dining room is gorgeous and food was generally good to a few excellent things. Service was great. I had a inside cabin on deck 9 and it was nice. I did check out the promenade view cabin and I really like them. Ship was very easy to get around. It's a huge ship.

Bad/Ugly: Food is very subjective, but I didn't think the food, variety and presentation is the Windjammer cafe was all that great compared to other RCCL cruise I've been on. It wasn't bad, but not great either....pretty mediocre. I always found something I liked; however, food has never been RCCL's strong selling point. I did like all the available seating in the lido cafe so getting a table was never a problem; however there is no outdoor seating area other the the pool area. I found the MDR much better.

Overall the ship get pretty good reviews here on CC so I think you are pretty safe booking this ship. My brother and wife and another couple booked this ship for this April. They went last March and loved it. I would definitely go back without hesitation. Go and have a great time.

This Mariner is a beautiful ship. I went last summer with my daughters (4-17) and they all love it! We did a catamaran in Cabo, Stone Island (also where Randi's Happy Horses goes) in Mazatlan and a massage in PV. I have been to the MR 4 and the Mariner was the best one yet. Since I have done this route many times now so my excursions are a little bit different once you have been there. Hands down Stone Island is the best part of Mazatlan, which is not asthetically a beautiful port.

The ship is wonderful as is the crew. I would actually cruise on the Mariner just for the ship and not the route - probably wouldnt even get off next time.....

Here are my pics.

Were those last 2 excursions thru RCCL? And was the canopy tour ziplining? (do you see a theme here?)

We love Princess, and did Disney w/ the kids the first time. But we knew when we cruised w/ the kids again it would be RCCL. (10-12-15) We actually stumbled upon this Oct cruise looking at $349pp on Carnival but when I began booking, needing one room for 3 adjoining another, the cost was no less than RCCL--and the Carnival Splendour reminded me of the Flamingo in Vegas--gaudy and PINK.

We ALWAYS have a good time on a cruise! My folks & my bro's family are going along so fun will be had by all!

Randi's in Mazatlan (goes to Stone Island) and Los Veranos (zip line with swimming, restaurant/bar and small animal area at end) in PV are excursions you need to book on your own. The ship does have similar ones, but haven't heard as good reviews except for the Outdoor Adventure in PV which is another zipline with boat ride, rapelling, mules, etc.

As someone else mentioned check out the ports of call board that's where I got my recommendations from.

BTW, your kids will love RCI. We started with Carnival and after our first RCI the kids don't want to go back to Carnival. RCI does a great job with kids, especially the early teens.

So the Outdoor Adv. Canopy Tour--was it zip-lining? Was it private or through the cruise line? (my fav excursion of all time is the canopy tour--ziplining--in Jamaica thru Princess. I would do it again in a heartbeat!)

Yes, it was a zip line tour/canopy tour. I booked it through the ship since it was such a long tour.

There are two tours listed. The regular canopy tour and the Adventure Outdoor canopy. I did the adventure tour. It's a good thing we booked through the ship because the ship had already pulled anchor and was heading out of the harbor when we came screaming back in. :eek:

You can read my complete review (look for my previous posts). Lots and lots of details on the review.

The ship waited for us because it was booked through the ship, otherwise we would have added swimming to the tour itinerary. :( Other people have booked directly with Los Veranos with and without issues (or so I've read on these boards).

We were on the Jan. 3rd sailing of this year with a group of 16. What would you like to know?

Funinla, there are already two Roll Calls going for April 2011, April 3rd & 10th. My husband and several others are on the 10th sailing and other friends went with the earlier April 3rd 2011 sailing. We are looking forward to our first Voyager/MOS cruise, even though its only for 7 days, prefer longer. Anyone considering either sailing we hope to see many more on our Roll Calls.

My wife and I were on the Mariner in December. It's a beautiful ship. We would gladly sail on her again. Here's a link to my review:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=61480

I also have a bunch of photos from the ship if you're interested. The link can be found in my signature below.

I have one piece of adive. DO EEEEET!

We love this ship and just got back from the Riviera 2 weeks ago. It's our third time, the other two being in the caribbean. The weather was rather crappy and the seas rough but everything in the control of the crew was great! I will say the food was rather average but that goes without saying on RCI.

Google 'los veranos puerto vallarta' and you'll see the company we used. It's not a ship excursion and we saved money...it was $110 for two of us. 14 zip lines and the employees are very safe and a lot of fun.

I just returned from this cruise a couple of weeks ago. We had never been to these ports before so it was a nice change to get out of the Caribbean. (How tacky does that sound???).

By the same token, it is a totally different cruise than going to the Caribbean - it's not as much of a beach, snorkel type of vacation. We did a private tour in Mazatlan which was fabulous with Mazatlan Frank. We just walked around Cabo (the ship tenders there and anchors right by the famous Los Archos - beautiful!) and we had fabulous massages and a beach/pool day in Puerto Vallarta.

Mariner is a beautiful ship. The staff was very friendly. I agree with another poster about the food. I didn't think it was the greatest, but it was certainly better than something I would be getting at home! And honestly, we have cruised with RCCL for the last 8 years and I think we're just kind of used to it.

We ate lunch in the ports - seriously you can't get any fresher shrimp. On sea days we usually just grabbed something from the Cafe Promenade - they make great little sandwiches. And I highly recommend the specialty restaurant Portofino. To us, its well worth the extra $20.

We're glad we did the Mexico cruise. It was a great change of pace and an adventure to see new ports. But I think we'll be going back to the Caribbean for our next one. We kind of like the turquoise waters. But that's just us.

I can't imagine you would be disappointed with ANY cruise, least of all this one!

Ann

Heading out again this month. Great ship and a fun intin. The weather can be an issue (cool) heading back to LA if you are sailing during the fall/winter months.

Puffinater, can you help? I am from the united kingdom and have booked this cruise for september, what do you think the weather will be like? I normally cruise in the caribean but thought i would give this routing a try.

Archived