Beware!! Westerdam Capt. Waits for noboby

jbruch

Why? For planes in the U.S. you need to be at the airport 2-3 hours prior to departure. That certainly cuts into my vacation time.

Also, where have you seen "enjoy your vacation all the way until 4 pm" (or any other time) in a cruise brochure? I've NEVER seen it worded that way.

Sure. It was advertised in that manner on an NCL cruise I went on. I think I stated that somewhere in this long, long thread before. Lol.

Anyway, not wanting to make an argument about it. Don't think the guy had a right to come back after the all aboard time, regardless of the rest of the argument.

Just saying, it kind of perturbed me on that one cruise about how they made a big deal that you could stay there until midnight. That they were the only cruise line that stayed until the next day. They didn't go into the realm of false advertising, but they came very close. They were definitely trying to give the impression that you could stay in town until midnight, but you really couldn't.

Not that it mattered to me. As I also stated earlier, I was back by 7:30.

Sure. It was advertised in that manner on an NCL cruise I went on. I think I stated that somewhere in this long, long thread before. Lol.
My mistake. I thought we were talking about HAL here. This is the HAL forum and the OP was on HAL. Silly me for thinking you were quoting HAL.

You "sheeple" are missing the point! Yes I am to blame, no question about it. And for all your questions about what happened to me, that also doesn't matter as the ship or my wife did not know( accident, mugged, kidnapped, shot, drowned, or at the bar??) My question that no one seems to care or understand is why these cruise lines say that they will be in a port and "depart" at a stated time when I guess they know and we know that the time of true departure is either always a 1/2 hour early or at the Captains discretion. Why can't the cruise lines be honest and clear and state they will be in a port at 4:30 as opposed to 5:00. We the "sheeple" lose 1/2 hour of our vacation and even more because some of you paranoid/scared get on hours before "all aboard tome". So is it false advertising to say the ship "departs" at one time only to find out the "all aboard is different" What does the word "depart" mean in their brochures and advertising?? This is why I challenged the fact that the ship would leave before a published "departure" time even though not all passengers are on board. Yes the story is true the ship did change even the date we were to be in Aruba as well as the "departure" time (even though this time means nothing) from 11pm to 5pm. So should the cruise lines be honest with us and publish the fact that the ship actual departs at 4:30 is the true question. The problem seems to be cruise passengers are "sheeple" and are more concerned about eating with the "herd" Baaa! And for those that say they were watching and didn't see me running, that is because I was stopped/detained by Aruba port authority which was communicating with the Captain and ship as they were looking for me. I must say that my adventures and the experience getting back was far better than being at sea with rude and inconsiderate passengers of HAL. I just felt bad for my wife...She was stuck with you. I would be careful as KARMA could strike and this could be your story. My FAULT 100%. Live and learn. So why don't you posters use all this energy to change the cruise industry so they publish true departure times or at least wait until the published departure before they leave a passenger/customer behind. Time to be TRUE and accurate.

I have never seen a cruise ship leave the port early. They have pulled in the gang way early. Why don't you provide some proof that the ship left the dock before five.....

Ah, yes, I have enjoyed the thread "Special Touches that Make a HAL cruise for you."

Anyway, welcome to HUSH! You are now an official "member of the herd."

Is it too late to apply for the position of "Black Sheep" ?, or have I "missed the boat"? {sorry, couldn't resist}

After all, I do have a reputation to live up to. :eek:

And since I was one of the early posters on the Special Touches thread can I pleeeeeeeezzzzee have "Charter Member" status in HUSH ???? :cool:

BTW what are our benefits ?

Free Upgrades?

Invites to the "Sheep's Dinner" in the Pinnacle ?

Pins ?

Wooly Stars ??

OH, yes, late boarding privileges ! (pardon the shouting) {all credit to Ruth}

What I would like to know from the OP is if he complained to the cruise lines with which he took his prior 10 cruises that they were robbing him of 30 minutes of his vacation at every port. If not, why not?

I do believe that the OP learned math skills in the same school where he learned to read and tell time:

Unless someone can explain to me how these "30 min." were subracted from his week's vacation time :confused:

Let's see . . . . 30 min at Senor Frog's or 30 min aboard the Westerdam,

. . . .

wait, wait . . . .

Hmmmmmm, still thinking . . . .

Geeeeez, I guess it is just beyond the understanding of sheep :rolleyes:

Baaaaaaahhhhhhhh (Humbug),

r.

PS: Still would love to hear the Wife's version ;)

PPS: @ Dutch, any way to verify if this even happened or is OP just a very successful Troll ?

PS: Still would love to hear the Wife's version ;)

PPS: @ Dutch, any way to verify if this even happened or is OP just a very successful Troll ?

Ummm....as long as they don't serve Leg of Mutton or any other lamb dish!!!

I'd love to hear the Wife's version too. Something tells me she is saying "I told you so."

I have never seen a cruise ship leave the port early. They have pulled in the gang way early. Why don't you provide some proof that the ship left the dock before five.....

Donray, he canot since I was on the same cruise and not only posted the Cruise Log for the 18th of February, but also the time dated photos to show also.

He was outed and cannot refute the proof.

Joanie

I'd love to hear the Wife's version too. Something tells me she is saying "I told you so."

I think Limey girl is onto something. In re-reading the OP I no longer believe he was looking for sympathy, but rather wanting all of us sheeple to share his outrage at being left behind. I'm afraid if I were his wife I wouldn't have been happy when he missed the boat, and probably would have told him so in Ft. Lauderdale.

My mistake. I thought we were talking about HAL here. This is the HAL forum and the OP was on HAL. Silly me for thinking you were quoting HAL.

Wow Mary Ellen, I didn't imply you were silly or think you were at all! Sorry if you got that impression.:eek:

I was following up on something I said earlier about the OPs point about the departure time and all aboard time. I think, perhaps, with maybe 20 some pages on this thread it is hard to remember everything that was said everywhere else on this thread.

I am just of the mind that I like listing the all-aboard time instead of departure time. I stated (twice, I must like being repetitive - oops) my reasoning and that my reasoning for my position was based on an experience from another line. Sooooo, not trying to be off subject, that was just the basis for my opinion.

Have a nice day.

OMG, the OP flamed HAL, and I do believe not only will he ever do that again, but I think at this point, he's been beat into submission. The up side is, he probably won't cruise aboard HAL again. Given his repeated defense of his position, I'm suggesting he books another cruise line in the future. Now its time to give this post a rest.;)

I think this thread will die a natural death when it's ready to no matter if posters are bored or done with it. It can always be passed by for those who choose to.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can save this entire thread to my computer for posterity and a good laugh when I am feeling a bit low?

Joanie

Is it too late to apply for the position of "Black Sheep" ?, or have I "missed the boat"? {sorry, couldn't resist}

After all, I do have a reputation to live up to. :eek:

And since I was one of the early posters on the Special Touches thread can I pleeeeeeeezzzzee have "Charter Member" status in HUSH ???? :cool:

BTW what are our benefits ?

Free Upgrades?

Pins ?

Wooly Stars ??

OH, yes, late boarding privileges ! (pardon the shouting) {all credit to Ruth}

I was wondering who would volunteer to be our "black sheep!" Welcome to the herd. Your benefits include all the benefits listed in the Special Touches thread plus you get to count sheeple at night and "baaaaaaaaaaaaaah!" yourself to sleep. ;) I like the idea of a "sheeple dinner, however!

I did not read the entire 13 pages of this thread, but in the pages I did read, I didn't see any explanation as to why the Captain is required by various legal and other constraints to leave when the tardy are not on a cruise line excursion, but is not required to leave when the tardy are on a cruise line excursion.

If someone has already explained, I'd be grateful if they just gave me the page number of the post without more than a minimum of remarks about my mental unfitness for participation in these discussions.

I did not read the entire 13 pages of this thread, but in the pages I did read, I didn't see any explanation as to why the Captain is required by various legal and other constraints to leave when the tardy are not on a cruise line excursion, but is not required to leave when the tardy are on a cruise line excursion.
I didn't read all 13 pages either but here's a quick answer: you will pay more for a ship's excursion and one of the things you're paying for is "insurance" that the ship will wait if you're on one of their excursions. It's very rare for a ship to leave without all of their tour passengers back onboard. Of course, there's the occasional person who after getting off the tour bus, decides to do some more shopping before going back to the ship; I've seen them left behind because they were dropped off at the port in plenty of time to board the ship. When you disembark on your own, you are literally on your own and assume all responsibility for making it back to the ship on time. If it's a ship's tour, the ship will wait, even if it means holding up three other ships, losing the pilot while they go to another ship, etc. I've been on some ship's tours that were as much as two hours late after the ship was supposed to sail.

If someone has already explained, I'd be grateful if they just gave me the page number of the post without more than a minimum of remarks about my mental unfitness for participation in these discussions.

Hi Pettifogger,

It hasn't been specifically addressed. What it really comes down to is, the captain is required to leave on time. By his bosses on land and the local port authorities. If he stays "late" for whatever reason, HAL incurs a whack of extra charges and in some particularly busy ports, it's not even possible. If a HAL excursion is running late, there is now obviously more than one passenger involved. HAL has made a commitment to it's ShoreEx passengers to stay behind so they're willing to incur the extra costs. BUt if the port authority says you gotta go, even they will be left behind. Of course, the port agent will arrange to get them caught up at the next port.

Picture two ports of call in Alaska: Ketchikan and Haines.

In Haines, if a shore excursion is running late, the Captain will probably be allowed to stay at dock a little longer. Tides aren't a huge issue for the port and it's not exactly busy.

On the other hand, if the same thing happens in Ketchikan on a "normal" day in summer, if ship A doesn't leave on time, then ship B may not be able to come in.

I hope that's clear, but I'm surprisingly tired right now and might just be babbling:o

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can save this entire thread to my computer for posterity and a good laugh when I am feeling a bit low?

Joanie

You can go to the Thread Tools at the top of each page and pull down to Show Printable Version. Then do a File > Save As an .htm file. However, you'll have to do that for each page (40 posts in my case) and give each page a different name.

Gosh.................I'm indebted to this person. He lost THIRTY MINUTES from his cruise............and, at every port? He's given me an idea.:D

Those of us on the "O" next week will lose a WHOLE HOUR of our vacation because we go onto Daylight Savings Time. Should we start a class action something to get some onboard credit for the loss of this hour?

And, the "O" is only one of the ships that will be cheating us out of an hour of our vacation..............hummmmmmmmmmm:eek:

I've e-mailed IRL_Joanie to tell her that I've PDF'd the thread as far as it had grown when I did it earlier tonight-20 pages at that time. It's quick and easy for me; took about 5 minutes. It's all in one PDF now but about 7 MB so when I hear from her that her e-mail can handle that I'll send it along to her or I can put it in my FileChute and send her the download link. I'm assuming she wants to read it when she's not online. I guess it's public information given that anyone can read here, so if anyone else wants it, let me know. Sig at the bottom.

Or tell me that I shouldn't distribute it!:)

I've been on ships that have left early. However, I believe they knew 100% of the passengers were on board, so why wait?

OMG, the OP flamed HAL, and I do believe not only will he ever do that again, but I think at this point, he's been beat into submission. The up side is, he probably won't cruise aboard HAL again. Given his repeated defense of his position, I'm suggesting he books another cruise line in the future. Now its time to give this post a rest.;)

Your post is resting in peace. The thread however has a life of its own.

Joanie

Cut and paste and save as a Word doc. Or, cut and paste into an email and mail to yourself.

Archived