Beware!! Westerdam Capt. Waits for noboby

jbruch

Reading this thread has been like watching a train wreck.

Yikes! :eek: There's something about it that makes it difficult to not watch.

The pastoral side of me cannot help but feel sorry for the OP and his family, even though he really did it all to himself at every point ... including his posting his mistakes here. I will grant you that confession is good for the soul, however a big part of true confession is both:

1. True Contrition, and

2. A Firm Purpose of Amendment

Based upon what the OP has posted, up to now, I don't discern contrition regarding this event. Contrition come when one is truly sorry for having trespassed the laws of God and Man precisely because one knows that it is wrong to do so. In this case, however, it would appear that the OP is simply sorry he got caught. Being sorry one got caught isn't contrition, though people often confuse one with the other.

Also, I don't see much in the way of a Firm Purpose of Amendment. For there to be a Firm Purpose of Amendment, the penitent must not only be contrite, they must also have a desire to not do it again; in order to have such a desire, one must first admit that there is something that they commit themselves to not doing again. By shoveling the blame for getting left behind off on the Captain, the OP is trying to absolve himself from any guilt for the consequences of his actions, thus leaving nothing for him to amend. Indeed, he has been busy playing "pass the buck," appearing to admit a degree of blame but not being willing to admit that getting left behind was the direct consequence of his action.

Again, I truly do have compassion for the man and for his family. I feel sorry that his cruise was ruined and that he also ruined his family's cruise. It must have been especially traumatic for them.

Amen Brother! :)

Again, my guess was that he really thought the departure time (5:00pm) was the "All Aboard", or basically he could board at 5:00pm. That it wasn't anything more than that (such as speculation that he was drinking somewhere).

I just wish the Op would have posted something to the the affect that it was his first cruise and he really thought the listed departure time of 5:00pm was when he needed to climb on board. Whether he was there at 4:41pm doesn't matter if he needed to be onboard at 4:30pm.

Au contraire on both points. He clearly said:

... the departure time in Aruba was 5pm but once we arrived it was announced the "All aboard time" was 4:30.

This was my 10th cruise and I will never sail Holland America again.

I just wish the Op would have posted something to the the affect that it was his first cruise and he really thought the listed departure time of 5:00pm was when he needed to climb on board. Whether he was there at 4:41pm doesn't matter if he needed to be onboard at 4:30pm.

His own stated history is that this was his 10th Cruise. I cannot understand how, by the 10th cruise, someone cannot be aware that the "All Aboard Time" is the actual time that one must be back aboard ship to ensure not being left behind. In other words, I can't square what he said with your speculation of why he did what he did. Quite the contrary, everything he has posted indicates to me that he knew the All Aboard time was 4:30, but thought that either the "All" in "All Aboard" didn't apply to him or that it didn't really matter because the ship wasn't scheduled to depart until 5 pm. By every standard I know, either alliterative reflects a self-centeredness that disregards convention and then blames the conventions and/or others for the consequences.

And, yes, I can say the above and still feel sorry for the man and his family, for the emotional distraught that both felt in the event itself and in the embarrassment that he has caused for himself here on this board by exposing himself in this way. Part of my "feeling sorry" for him has to do with the realization that, based upon what he's written, he really does not understand or accept that he is responsible for himself and his own actions; somewhere, deep down inside, he believes himself to be above those rules and standards that apply to other people and thinks that exceptions should always be made for him. I feel sorry for someone in such a state because they will continue to find it impossible to actually learn and grow from their experiences and, hence, are doomed to repeat them.

I am stunned at the amount of energy and effort expended to prove the OP is at fault. Some of the comments have been extremely vitriolic. He learned a hard lesson; there is no need to justify the HAL position (they can take care of themselves:)) nor justify his anger. Perhaps another topic is in order.

Being late should have consequences and you admitted it was your fault. Why are you complaining?

I am curious, why were you late?

I know there's just too much to read on this thread but I think at some point he said, "even my wife and children don't know why I was late" or something like that. When I read it it seemed rather strange.......as if he was taking pride in keeping it a secret even from them................

but, I don't have the time to search that out. Gotta pack and get on my way to the "O."

I'll be on time..............at every port.:p

Being late should have consequences and you admitted it was your fault. Why are you complaining?

The OP has not, and evidently, will not reveal that little tidbit of information. He did say in a later post that "...where he was didn't matter". Hence, all the speculation that he may have been at Senor Frog's for that one last drink. Who knows? It's obvious that he's not coming back here to 'chat' anymore! ;)

He could have been tending to the sick, and feeding the poor, all while helping old ladies across the street... it doesn't matter.

Believing that it does insinuates that it is acceptable to be left behind if you were in a bar, but may be accomodated under other circumstances.

He could have been tending to the sick, and feeding the poor, all while helping old ladies across the street... it doesn't matter.

Believing that it does insinuates that it is acceptable to be left behind if you were in a bar, but may be accomodated under other circumstances.

If he had tripped over a curb and broken his leg, there would have been some sympathy for him-----sitting in a bar?----None. So yes, you are correct in your assessment.

Glad to see this thread is still running strong!

For those who complain or don't like it - don't read it! :D

Others find it very entertaining -- obviously!

I am amused at the OP and others bringing up the idea of "missing 30 minutes of vacation" because the all aboard is a half hour before the ship departs.

Your vacation starts when you first embark - and ends when you disembark.

No one is "stealing" precious vacation time from you!!!

Let me add my thanks to Rev. Neal for his lesson.

It brings me back to catechism class too!

I remember rattling off "firm purpose of amendment" as a child - and having no clue what it meant!

P.S. Cool that we've passed the 20K mark in views.

Reading this thread has been like watching a train wreck.

Yikes! :eek: There's something about it that makes it difficult to not watch.

The pastoral side of me cannot help but feel sorry for the OP and his family, even though he really did it all to himself at every point ... including his posting his mistakes here. I will grant you that confession is good for the soul, however a big part of true confession is both:

1. True Contrition, and

2. A Firm Purpose of Amendment

Based upon what the OP has posted, up to now, I don't discern contrition regarding this event. Contrition come when one is truly sorry for having trespassed the laws of God and Man precisely because one knows that it is wrong to do so. In this case, however, it would appear that the OP is simply sorry he got caught. Being sorry one got caught isn't contrition, though people often confuse one with the other.

Also, I don't see much in the way of a Firm Purpose of Amendment. For there to be a Firm Purpose of Amendment, the penitent must not only be contrite, they must also have a desire to not do it again; in order to have such a desire, one must first admit that there is something that they commit themselves to not doing again. By shoveling the blame for getting left behind off on the Captain, the OP is trying to absolve himself from any guilt for the consequences of his actions, thus leaving nothing for him to amend. Indeed, he has been busy playing "pass the buck," appearing to admit a degree of blame but not being willing to admit that getting left behind was the direct consequence of his action.

Again, I truly do have compassion for the man and for his family. I feel sorry that his cruise was ruined and that he also ruined his family's cruise. It must have been especially traumatic for them.

I have to admit this is a very well written post, but it does state the obvious and in my opinion was just a long route to get to your final paragraph in which you showed compassion and shook your finger at him at the same time.

Glad to see this thread is still running strong!

For those who complain or don't like it - don't read it! :D

Others find it very entertaining -- obviously!

I am amused at the OP and others bringing up the idea of "missing 30 minutes of vacation" because the all aboard is a half hour before the ship departs.

Your vacation starts when you first embark - and ends when you disembark.

No one is "stealing" precious vacation time from you!!!

Let me add my thanks to Rev. Neal for his lesson.

It brings me back to catechism class too!

I remember rattling off "firm purpose of amendment" as a child - and having no clue what it meant!

P.S. Cool that we've passed the 20K mark in views.

We retired folk don't get vacation! When you are retired, you never get a day off. I'll just wait for the sympathy from those of you who are funding my Social Security Payment.

Too bad the OP didn't stick around to accept his scolding. Somehow, I doubt he has come to the realization it was his fault.

RuthC: Just wondering if you've broken into your little goodie bag yet and if so how are they??:)

Joanie

I'd say that this thread has been kind of an...

AngryMobFunRun_1024.jpg

Even though I rarely watched the Simpsons, I do have a soft spot for the program: One of my cousins sons wrote for them early on after graduating from Harvard. And I love this graphic!

I only read the first 8 pages of this thread before skipping to the end. I am appalled by the general nastiness of the posters here. The gloating at the op's misfortune is base and vulgar. How nice for you that you are all so perfect! How tidy and flawless your lives must be! How much fun it seems to be for you to congratulate each other on your own virtue while belittling and castigating the op....

The reality is that cruise ships wait all the time for cruise booked excursrion passengers and have obviously figured out how to get even the late pax aboard. Yes, of course the op "should" have been on time. But, clearly the Captian could have boarded him (and would have boarded him had he been on a HAL booked excursion). Yes, the captian was within his "rights" to blow the op off, but it wasn't kind and can't be surprising that the op was upset by it.

I am amazed that after the first 30 posters tried to make the op feel as badly as possible that the next hundred or so felt compelled to file on....

Archived