Beware!! Westerdam Capt. Waits for noboby

jbruch

I think I've figured out what happened! The OP insists the ship sailed at 4:41pm. Joanie has the facts, and advises us that the actual time was 4:51pm. So, it is quite obvious...

This guy's wife knows how to set a watch back, just enough to do the trick, but without raising suspicion! Way to go, woman! :D

Sorry, no sympathy here. You knew what time to be back. I always plan to be back at least 1/2 hour before "all aboard". This allows time for something unforeseen.

If the Captain had waited, people would think, oh, all aboard is 4:30 but it is ok if I get there by 4:45, they will still let me on. I bet at the next port every one made it on time.

Enough Already --

Did this guy foul up ----- Yep

Is it his fault ----- Yep

Did he pay for a flight for four to Curacao --- Yep

Did he rationalize his situation ---- Yep - thats human

Does he need to get 18 pages of flaming ---- Nop

Give this guy a break I think he's suffered enough.

amen.jpg

I have an idea! They should play the videos of people getting left behind with a running script on the bottom of the screen, "Do not let this happen to you, get back to the ship on time!" in all the rooms, every time someone turns the TV on. Some people just respond better to seeing what happens, instead of reading or hearing what happens when you do not get back to the ship on time! Watching those you tube videos should make an impact...I think.

I think I've figured out what happened! The OP insists the ship sailed at 4:41pm. Joanie has the facts, and advises us that the actual time was 4:51pm. So, it is quite obvious...

This guy's wife knows how to set a watch back, just enough to do the trick, but without raising suspicion! Way to go, woman! :D

Gotta luv it!

I have an idea! They should play the videos of people getting left behind with a running script on the bottom of the screen, "Do not let this happen to you, get back to the ship on time!" in all the rooms, every time someone turns the TV on. Some people just respond better to seeing what happens, instead of reading or hearing what happens when you do not get back to the ship on time! Watching those you tube videos should make an impact...I think.

Great idea!! But they need to have a voice-over for the video in addition to the running script at the bottom, 'cause as we have firmly established, this guy has a r-e-a-l-l-y big reading comprehension problem. ;)

Enough Already --

Did this guy foul up ----- Yep

Is it his fault ----- Yep

Did he pay for a flight for four to Curacao --- Yep

Did he rationalize his situation ---- Yep - thats human

Does he need to get 18 pages of flaming ---- Nop

Give this guy a break I think he's suffered enough.

I find it much easier to turn the page or just turn off my computer when a thread is getting lengthy or going 'south'. It's much easier than expecting others to comply with my desire to terminate, change, etc. That way everyone can say what is on their minds and the thread will die naturally after the subject is exhausted.

JMHO :)

If the Captain had waited, people would think, oh, all aboard is 4:30 but it is ok if I get there by 4:45, they will still let me on. I bet at the next port every one made it on time.

Yes, what does become the final actual cut-off time then if 4:30 becomes merely a suggestion? :D

I searched my photos and came up with the time line and photos to show the facts: http://abqreunion2008.com/SPECIAL/

Everything is noted on the page and hopefully even the OP will not want to dispute the truth, now. My time line shows from 5:03 - 5:17 p.m., which indicates that the OP was nowhere near his stated 4:41 p.m. time.

Joanie

I searched my photos and came up with the time line and photos to show the facts: http://abqreunion2008.com/SPECIAL/

Everything is noted on the page and hopefully even the OP will not want to dispute the truth, now.

Joanie

Joanie, you are the bomb! Fabulous picures, and quite a task now for anyone to dispute the fact that:

a) there is a passenger left behind on the pier, (Where is he?)

-and -

b) said passenger is running for the ship, asking for the gangplank to be lowered.

If the OP said he tried to board at 4:41PM and he wasn't even in sight on yet ( as the pic's plainly show), methinks it might have been 4:41PM when he realized what time it was and said, "Holy cr*p - I'm in deep doo-doo!!" and then started to make a run for it. If he was (as he says in his original post) "begging the port authorities to lower the gangplank.." and "offering them $1000.00.." to do so, then he could not have been running toward the ship. Hard to be in two places at the same time....

AND - Senor Frogs IS in v-e-r-y close proximity. Hmmmm......

I, too, dislike that the cruise lines advertise one time for port visits and always shorten it a half hour.
Would you like it better if they said were in port until 4:30 but didn't get under way until 5:00? I doubt it.

Would you like it better if they said were in port until 4:30 but didn't get under way until 5:00? I doubt it.

Hi Catl331,

I don't think it would make any difference HOW it was worded, the fact is that the whole point is being missed by some posters. A ship is considered to be "in port" as long as ONE line remains tied to the dock. They pay fees and port charges for every minute they spend "docked" and the ship is considered to be "docked" once the first line is "down" or tied up to the pier. The ship remains "docked" as long as there is at least one line tied to the pier.

The ship is considered "sailed" once the last line is cast off from the pier. That is as simple as I possibly know how to explain it.

Words that we think should, and normally do, mean one thing in our day-to-day usage, take on a completely different connotation when used in a maritime sense. I would venture to guess that many people that don't work on or with ships/barges/tugs do not fully comprehend this . Several members of my husband's family are river pilots and tug boat captains. We are more than familiar with how all of this works.

On cruise ships, all passengers are told to be on board AT LEAST 30 minutes prior to "sailing" so that the ship can be readied to depart. The Captain cannot have passengers going up the gangway if all lines are not secured to the pier properly, security points have been removed, the card-readers have been stowed, hatches (doors) secured, etc, etc. All this takes TIME, people!!!

So one last time: When you see that a ship is listed to be in port from 8:00AM until 5:00PM that means:

1. At 8:00AM, the first line from the ship is "down". (Ship is "docked")

2. At 4:30PM (approx) the ship begins to ready for sailing. ALL PASSENGERS SHOULD BE ON BOARD!! (...because, hatches are shut, gangway is pulled up, lines are beginning to be removed, etc)

3. At 5:00PM, the last line from the ship is cast off from the dock. (Ship has "sailed")

So yes - the ship is "In Port" from 8:00AM until 5:00PM. No false advertising and no deception. Passengers are told to be on board at least 30 minutes prior to sailing time. For the life of me, I don't see what the problem is in understanding this!!

I'm tryin' here, Catl - I really am!! ;):D

I tried to get on at 4:48 or so. And am totally to blame, but to leave early when other family memebers are on board and to leave early?? Why not at least wait until 5pm, what's the hurry and what happened to passenger safety and service.

Are you kidding me???:rolleyes: why they should wait for you???:eek:

Exactly!!! And not all the peolples were on board!!! Maybe one of the herd get's it???

So you would not have had a complaint if the ship waited by the pier until 5:00 even if it didn't let you on??? All aboard was 4:30. Did you not consider yourself part of the "ALL"? It shouldn't matter what departure time was, your responsibility was to be on board at 4:30. Also, by avoiding telling us what caused you to be late, you aren't helping your cause to get sympathy. By avoiding the issue, sounds like you wanted to finish that last beer and expected to mosy on a few minutes before departure, rules by da**ed.

If you (or other passengers) were on a SHIP LINE BOOKED EXCURSION that is late they will wait for you!

I may be wrong, but I always believed that if you are on a ship-sponsored excursion, the ship will either wait for you, OR ensure you get to the next port (which hopefully is not several days away). As others have posted, there are times when the ship simply cannot wait (tides, distance to next port, etc.) and it does not matter whether the late excursion is from the cruise line or private. I seem to recall one of Captain Albert's blogs from a few years ago, where a bus broke down and it appeared that people on one of the ship's excursions would not make it back before he had to sail. He was working with the port agent to arrange for hotels and flights for those passengers, but in the end the tour company managed to get another bus and the passengers made it back on time.

All that to say, it is a good idea to make sure you have any needed medication and that you are not leaving dependant family members alone on board when you go on an excursion, whether ship-sponsored or not.

You Put it so well. The only thing you missed was if the first line is cast at 8:00 AM all lines will not be down for at least 10 minutes later and then the officials from the port have to come on and clear the vessell and then pax are free to depart. One hour before the vessel leaves all crew have to be back on board and 1/2 hour before the ship leaves all passengers have to be back on board. This is clearly announced and posted at the exit.

So, I don't see what the problem is. You cannot dilly-dally in port and expect that some how you are an exception to the rule. The ONLY time they will wait is if you are on a tour through the ship and the tour is detained, they will wait. If you book your own tour on shore and it is late, then lots of luck but the ship will not wait. We all know the ground rules.

You Put it so well. The only thing you missed was if the first line is cast at 8:00 AM all lines will not be down for at least 10 minutes later and then the officials from the port have to come on and clear the vessell and then pax are free to depart. One hour before the vessel leaves all crew have to be back on board and 1/2 hour before the ship leaves all passengers have to be back on board. This is clearly announced and posted at the exit.

So, I don't see what the problem is. You cannot dilly-dally in port and expect that some how you are an exception to the rule. The ONLY time they will wait is if you are on a tour through the ship and the tour is detained, they will wait. If you book your own tour on shore and it is late, then lots of luck but the ship will not wait. We all know the ground rules.

Thanks so much for your kind reply. :)

I didn't add in all the stuff about the whole docking procedure thing, because, for some reason, no one here (not even the OP) was commenting (or complaining) about having to wait for approximately 30 minutes to leave the ship inititally.

Could it be that those that don't "get it" when it comes to getting back on board 30 minutes early, somehow DO 'get' that it takes awhile for the ship to completely tie up, to lower the gangway, set up the exit checkpoints, clear customs,etc??? All this has to be done before anyone is allowed to leave, right?

Well guess what?? It all has to be done in reverse in order to leave! WOW!! What a concept. That's why all passengers are required to be back on board at least 30 minutes prior to sailing.

Again, thanks so much, and may you have many, many Smooth Sailings. :)

Look closely and you will see that most HAL ships no longer print the departure time from ports of call in the daily prgram. It only says "All Aboard" at a certain time.

And I like that. NCL was the one that really annoyed me. They made a big, huge point about staying in a certain port until midnight. That you were there "into the next day". But you're not, not really.

And I do think it's different than planes. Those tell you when the flight is leaving and don't advertise it as "enjoy your vacation all the way until 4 pm".

It's a little thing. Not a big deal. Nothing I would think to complain about. Just something I admitted annoyed me a little bit.

Then again, my old job was writing legislation for the government and I'm still a lawyer, so parsing language is kind of my living.

And I do think it's different than planes. Those tell you when the flight is leaving and don't advertise it as "enjoy your vacation all the way until 4 pm".
Why? For planes in the U.S. you need to be at the airport 2-3 hours prior to departure. That certainly cuts into my vacation time.

Also, where have you seen "enjoy your vacation all the way until 4 pm" (or any other time) in a cruise brochure? I've NEVER seen it worded that way.

enough already --

did this guy foul up ----- yep

is it his fault ----- yep

did he pay for a flight for four to curacao --- yep

did he rationalize his situation ---- yep - thats human

does he need to get 18 pages of flaming ---- nop

give this guy a break i think he's suffered enough.

amen.

If any cruiseline had to wait for every single straggler to show up before they left, we would never get to any other islands?! We would be docked there all week?!

SOrry but I can't feel sorry for something that you caused?! You are wrong, admit your wrong...............Holland is not at fault. You were bc you can't keep time.:rolleyes:

Hi Catl331,

I don't think it would make any difference HOW it was worded, the fact is that the whole point is being missed by some posters. A ship is considered to be "in port" as long as ONE line remains tied to the dock. They pay fees and port charges for every minute they spend "docked" and the ship is considered to be "docked" once the first line is "down" or tied up to the pier. The ship remains "docked" as long as there is at least one line tied to the pier.

The ship is considered "sailed" once the last line is cast off from the pier. That is as simple as I possibly know how to explain it.

Words that we think should, and normally do, mean one thing in our day-to-day usage, take on a completely different connotation when used in a maritime sense. I would venture to guess that many people that don't work on or with ships/barges/tugs do not fully comprehend this . Several members of my husband's family are river pilots and tug boat captains. We are more than familiar with how all of this works.

On cruise ships, all passengers are told to be on board AT LEAST 30 minutes prior to "sailing" so that the ship can be readied to depart. The Captain cannot have passengers going up the gangway if all lines are not secured to the pier properly, security points have been removed, the card-readers have been stowed, hatches (doors) secured, etc, etc. All this takes TIME, people!!!

So one last time: When you see that a ship is listed to be in port from 8:00AM until 5:00PM that means:

1. At 8:00AM, the first line from the ship is "down". (Ship is "docked")

2. At 4:30PM (approx) the ship begins to ready for sailing. ALL PASSENGERS SHOULD BE ON BOARD!! (...because, hatches are shut, gangway is pulled up, lines are beginning to be removed, etc)

3. At 5:00PM, the last line from the ship is cast off from the dock. (Ship has "sailed")

So yes - the ship is "In Port" from 8:00AM until 5:00PM. No false advertising and no deception. Passengers are told to be on board at least 30 minutes prior to sailing time. For the life of me, I don't see what the problem is in understanding this!!

I'm tryin' here, Catl - I really am!! ;):D

Great Post, It's clear, concise & easy to understand..

Hopefully, now everyone will understand..;)

Cheers....:)Betty

Archived