Beware!! Westerdam Capt. Waits for noboby

jbruch

I only read the first 8 pages of this thread before skipping to the end. I am appalled by the general nastiness of the posters here. The gloating at the op's misfortune is base and vulgar. How nice for you that you are all so perfect! How tidy and flawless your lives must be! How much fun it seems to be for you to congratulate each other on your own virtue while belittling and castigating the op....

The reality is that cruise ships wait all the time for cruise booked excursrion passengers and have obviously figured out how to get even the late pax aboard. Yes, of course the op "should" have been on time. But, clearly the Captian could have boarded him (and would have boarded him had he been on a HAL booked excursion). Yes, the captian was within his "rights" to blow the op off, but it wasn't kind and can't be surprising that the op was upset by it.

I am that after the first 30 posters tried to make the op feel as badly as possible that the next hundred or so felt compelled to file on....

I think it is "appalling" that you lump everyone on CC who have responded to this thread together. There are several who have expressed opinions that are similar to yours'. Everyone on CC should be able to express their opinion without threat of verbal abuse. Cherie

But, clearly the Captian could have boarded him (and would have boarded him had he been on a HAL booked excursion).
Did you read as far as the post by BruceMuzz, who has been a ship's officer for 35 years, explaining that it may have cost as much as $30,000 to put the gangway back out again? When the Captain is waiting for overdue ship's excursions, the gangway and lines have not yet been retracted.

"The threat of verbal abuse"???? Oh please, after what has been relentlessly heaped on the niave guy that started this thread I have trouble believing anyone could feel "threatened" by my post. Truly, I have rarely seen a bunch of people take such pleasure in making some stranger feel as badly as possible.

As to the cost of putting back the gangplank-- I have no idea what that might be. I do know that on three of the four HAL cruises i have been on we have waited while tours returned passengers late-- I believe they were HAL booked tours.

I believe that the Captain should have waited for this fellow, then charged him the $20,000 or $30,000 extra cost for waiting for him.

Then he should have announced the fellow's name and cabin number to the entire ship, explaining the reason for the delay in arriving at the next port.

Then the tardy one would have nothing to complain about.

Of course the other 2,000 or so passengers might have a few complaints about late arrivals and missing shore excursions...................

As to the cost of putting back the gangplank-- I have no idea what that might be. I do know that on three of the four HAL cruises i have been on we have waited while tours returned passengers late-- I believe they were HAL booked tours.
I repeat: when the Captain is waiting for late ship's tours, the gangway and lines have not yet been retracted. Once that happens, the situation changes dramatically. Read post #129. Or re-read it, since it is on page 4 and you said you read 8 pages.

Edit: sorry, BruceMuzz, you chimed in while I was locating your former post. :)

I only read the first 8 pages of this thread before skipping to the end. I am appalled by the general nastiness of the posters here. The gloating at the op's misfortune is base and vulgar. How nice for you that you are all so perfect! How tidy and flawless your lives must be! How much fun it seems to be for you to congratulate each other on your own virtue while belittling and castigating the op....

The reality is that cruise ships wait all the time for cruise booked excursrion passengers and have obviously figured out how to get even the late pax aboard. Yes, of course the op "should" have been on time. But, clearly the Captian could have boarded him (and would have boarded him had he been on a HAL booked excursion). Yes, the captian was within his "rights" to blow the op off, but it wasn't kind and can't be surprising that the op was upset by it.

I am amazed that after the first 30 posters tried to make the op feel as badly as possible that the next hundred or so felt compelled to file on....

Gloating?

Nastiness?

Someone comes on here and trashes the cruise line and the captain because of his own irresponsibility (which he freely admits).

And we're supposed to - what - take up a collection so he can go on another cruise and get those missed vacation minutes?

Naive? The OP says he's a veteran of 10 cruises. Multiply that by all the ports he's probably visited and, well, you get the idea. Naive is not the way to describe him.

Excellent point, John, but facts and reason don't mean a thing to a certain few. ;)

It's been explained over and over why the ship has to wait for HAL excursions but not the other pax ... people don't seem to get it.

"The threat of verbal abuse"???? Oh please, after what has been relentlessly heaped on the niave guy that started this thread I have trouble believing anyone could feel "threatened" by my post. Truly, I have rarely seen a bunch of people take such pleasure in making some stranger feel as badly as possible.

Yes..."the threat of verbal abuse." I am assuming that your response using my words is a direct assault on me, please correct me if I am wrong. I think everyone should be able to express their opinion and I find all posts to a thread informative, even if I do not agree with them. Cherie

p.s. my only previous post on this thread was #98 on page 5

We've passed the 21K mark ... is this a record?

I think I'll go to bed - have to get up at 5 a.m. for work - I hope the discussion continues.

I'll tune in tomorrow.

Just think, if this had been a thread about shorts in the dining room or diapers in the pool - or vice versa - it wouldn't have lasted this long.

We've passed the 21K mark ... is this a record?
Well, the sticky on AYWD started out as an ordinary thread and is now at 1,700 posts and 117,300 reads. Maybe this thread will become a sticky and go on forever!! :D

Some of the posts have been very *ahem* sanctimonious. And yes, the guy definately, definately inflamed those responses when he came back with his "sheeple" remark.

However, his original statement that he was angry at HAL was not directed personally at anyone on the board, but rather at a corporation that none of us (that responded) are directly responsible for the actions of. (sorry about the dangling thingie there).

So, he didn't attack me. He didn't attack anyone else on here. Until after there had been several posts maligning his intelligency, accusing him of personality and control issues, and even speculating on the state of his marriage. If anyone wanted to start speculating on my marriage or lack thereof or my intelligence, particularly in such an outright judgmental manner, I would feel it very, very rude. And most on here would.

BUT (watch out, I think this was discussed earlier as shouting! Oops!) - I've not noticed any other thread where people felt the need to do so. So I think I'm safe. Hopefully. ;)

Well, the sticky on AYWD started out as an ordinary thread and is now at 1,700 posts and 117,300 reads. Maybe this thread will become a sticky and go on forever!! :D

I'd love to see that....since some people really want this thread to die.

I believe that the Captain should have waited for this fellow, then charged him the $20,000 or $30,000 extra cost for waiting for him.

Then he should have announced the fellow's name and cabin number to the entire ship, explaining the reason for the delay in arriving at the next port.

Then the tardy one would have nothing to complain about.

Of course the other 2,000 or so passengers might have a few complaints about late arrivals and missing shore excursions...................

Ohhh... I like this! :)

His own stated history is that this was his 10th Cruise. I cannot understand how, by the 10th cruise, someone cannot be aware that the "All Aboard Time" is the actual time that one must be back aboard ship to ensure not being left behind. In other words, I can't square what he said with your speculation of why he did what he did. Quite the contrary, everything he has posted indicates to me that he knew the All Aboard time was 4:30, but thought that either the "All" in "All Aboard" didn't apply to him or that it didn't really matter because the ship wasn't scheduled to depart until 5 pm. By every standard I know, either alliterative reflects a self-centeredness that disregards convention and then blames the conventions and/or others for the consequences.

And, yes, I can say the above and still feel sorry for the man and his family, for the emotional distraught that both felt in the event itself and in the embarrassment that he has caused for himself here on this board by exposing himself in this way. Part of my "feeling sorry" for him has to do with the realization that, based upon what he's written, he really does not understand or accept that he is responsible for himself and his own actions; somewhere, deep down inside, he believes himself to be above those rules and standards that apply to other people and thinks that exceptions should always be made for him. I feel sorry for someone in such a state because they will continue to find it impossible to actually learn and grow from their experiences and, hence, are doomed to repeat them.

Agreed, and thanks for stating it so well. Something in the OP is "small" and will not grow because he appears unable to learn from his mistake since deep down, he doesn't believe it was his mistake but rather the captain's.

However, I don't think he feels embarrassed, because to be embarrassed one would have to realize one made a mistake. He really doesn't, and that is sad. And then there is the wife and kids who, if they didn't know what had happened to him, must have been worried sick.

And do you wonder WHY the cost of Ship Excursions are so high? It is IN CASE such an event happens they do not then have to put the cost of remaining at port or any other costs onto those of us who made it to the ship on time.

Read the other 4 pages, specifically the OP's lack of remorse and name calling. Read where I posted not only the correct times that OUR ship left and photos that are dated that show no passengers running etc... The Guy out and out lied and got caught trying to place the blame.

Joanie

.... And then there is the wife and kids who, if they didn't know what had happened to him, must have been worried sick.

I'm only quoting your last lline for one point and that is that in his post he stated that His wife was shouting or begging (I cannot remember exactly which at this point) at the Captain to wait for him.... He also stated in a later post that he was in communication with the ship via the security gate or some such. So I do believe the Ship Officers may have alerted his wife to his whereabouts. But then again, the OP probably was on his cell with his wife... Just hazarding a guess...

In fact here is the part of the OP's original post that really got my goat:

QUOTE: "...To sail early when a customer is missing from the ship?? I was 5 minutes too late. Granted I should have been more timely but mistakes, accidents do happen. My wife pleaded for them to wait, there was even communication from the port security that I was running to catch the ship and the Captain stated that he "waits for no one". I offered $1000.00 to lower the gangway back down ( the ship was still docked, just untied with gangway lifted) or even tender me out and again the Captain stated that he waits for no one. BEWARE!! Horrible service with no regard to passenger safety. Long story short my wife and 2 kids had 2 1/2 days at sea without me and I had to fly back to Ft. Lauderdale to meet them. Why would a ship sail early when passengers are missing?? This was my 10th cruise and I will never sail Holland America again. Even there corporate customer service was bad with a focus on covering there A$$ and backing the Capt. on his bad decision. Don't be late or this cruise line will leave you, no questions asked!!!" UNQUOTE

A. We did NOT sail early. As a matter of fact we left the port at 5:03 p.m. NOT the 4:41 he states

B. My photos clearly show there was NO ONE running to catch the ship!

C. He states: Quote: "My wife pleaded for them to wait, there was even communication from the port security that I was running to catch the ship..." UNQUOTE She KNEW where he was!!

D. This was his 10th cruise so he knew one HE** of a lot better than to miss the Scheduled, announced and all the signs stating ALL ABOARD 4:30!!

E. Finally he gets NO SYMPATHY for being an idiot and not only attempting to bribe a aritime Officer, but for being an even bigger one for coming here and believing most CC members would feel sympathy for him.

Joanie

At the risk of being accused of "piling on," I have to say that in my mind I put together the thread about the $60 pppd hold, and BruceMuzz's thought of the Captain announcing the name of the passenger who delayed the departure and the cost of said delay.

So my (****pejorative adjective of choice) thought: "What if the front office then added the per passenger cost of the delay to everybody's on board charges?"

Just like to point out that we didn't lose any time getting to the next port, nor would we have had we waited. Aruba was our last port of call, then two sea days and back in FLL, where most of us were required to leave the ship. Darn. Carolyn

I'm only quoting your last lline for one point and that is that in his post he stated that His wife was shouting or begging (I cannot remember exactly which at this point) at the Captain to wait for him.... He also stated in a later post that he was in communication with the ship via the security gate or some such. So I do believe the Ship Officers may have alerted his wife to his whereabouts. But then again, the OP probably was on his cell with his wife... Just hazarding a guess...

Joanie

Good point, and I hope the family indeed was reassured that he was safe, even if he was not boarded. But I also recalled that you demonstrated some of the OP's statements were demonstrably not true. Who knows?

Overall a sorry situation. But you know what? I bet all 20,000+ people who read this thread or parts of it will be reminded that it is very important to be nb board by "All Aboard" time. So the OP may be vindicated after all - he has served as an example others can learn from. I'd always rather learn from others' mistakes, as my life is too short to make them all myself! No matter how hard I try, I make plenty.

At the risk of being accused of "piling on," I have to say that in my mind I put together the thread about the $60 pppd hold, and BruceMuzz's thought of the Captain announcing the name of the passenger who delayed the departure and the cost of said delay.

So my (****pejorative adjective of choice) thought: "What if the front office then added the per passenger cost of the delay to everybody's on board charges?"

I would have flooded the Ships main desk and HAL's Corporate offices with my complaints plus...I'd have made sure every News Media outlet in the US had been made aware of the cost being passed onto my husband and I annd all the other passengers. And even more likely have refused to pay. What could they have done to me? Kept me on the ship? Arrested me?

Joanie

....- he has served as an example others can learn from. I'd always rather learn from others' mistakes, as my life is too short to make them all myself! No matter how hard I try, I make plenty.

AMEN to that!!!

Joanie

His own stated history is that this was his 10th Cruise. I cannot understand how, by the 10th cruise, someone cannot be aware that the "All Aboard Time" is the actual time that one must be back aboard ship to ensure not being left behind. In other words, I can't square what he said with your speculation of why he did what he did. Quite the contrary, everything he has posted indicates to me that he knew the All Aboard time was 4:30, but thought that either the "All" in "All Aboard" didn't apply to him or that it didn't really matter because the ship wasn't scheduled to depart until 5 pm. By every standard I know, either alliterative reflects a self-centeredness that disregards convention and then blames the conventions and/or others for the consequences.

And, yes, I can say the above and still feel sorry for the man and his family, for the emotional distraught that both felt in the event itself and in the embarrassment that he has caused for himself here on this board by exposing himself in this way. Part of my "feeling sorry" for him has to do with the realization that, based upon what he's written, he really does not understand or accept that he is responsible for himself and his own actions; somewhere, deep down inside, he believes himself to be above those rules and standards that apply to other people and thinks that exceptions should always be made for him. I feel sorry for someone in such a state because they will continue to find it impossible to actually learn and grow from their experiences and, hence, are doomed to repeat them.

Well stated pastor! How well we know that there are so many in this world who, "just don't get it" and who mock us for our beliefs and understanding. Their selfish, self centered ways seem to be the accepted norm today. It truly does give meaning to the phrase, "ignorance is bliss".

Interesting and eye opening thread! One positive has to come out of it; The OP will never make this mistake again

He might not make the mistake of POSTING again,

but

he surely could "miss the boat" again because it wasn't HIS fault, the Captain pulled the ship away early.....................his posting.:eek:

I am amazed that after the first 30 posters tried to make the op feel as badly as possible that the next hundred or so felt compelled to file on....

Good point! But how is it that YOU can take the speck out of other's eyes when ........:confused:

He might not make the mistake of POSTING again,

but

he surely could "miss the boat" again because it wasn't HIS fault, the Captain pulled the ship away early.....................his posting.:eek:

Well, by now, he should have a working knowledge of what the "All aboard time" is and that the ship/captain won't wait unless he's on a ship's excursion, At least one can hope!;)

Archived