Clothing ???

imru12

I know it's early but I'm booked on a cruise in Nov 2010.We are going on the Ncl Jade Western Mediterranean. Just wondering if anyone knows how cold it should be.I'm trying to decide if i need to buy a warm jacket or will a sweater be fine.I really don't have any winter clothes since I live in South Florida.Just asking if I will need a Jacket?:confused:

Consider layering with what you have. Do you have any type of heavier jacket? (I know FL can get cold too) Take that with a sweater underneath.

Or for real lightweight travel, invest in some silk long underwear. Wear that under a long sleeved shirt, your sweater, a windbreaker and you'll probably be fine

No need for a heavy jacket/coat. Think in terms of layers. Suggest a lightweight fall/ spring jacket and also a sweater that's interchangeable with other things in your wardrode. Really don't think you need to invest in long underwear. It's not as if you're going to Alaska in November. Done this cruise twice and ;layers were suffcient.

I live in So. CA now, but I'm originally from Miami, FL. For me it was cool in November, but we didn't need a heavy jacket per se. I got along with a denim jacket during the day with a long-sleeved t-shirt underneath with skirts and comfortable shoes (lots of cobblestone streets in Europe). If it got a little warm I just took off the jacket and tied it around my waist. For evenings, and for the Vatican and St. Peter's Cathedral, I wore a black, long-sleeved tunic sweater, w/black dress pants and comfortable black dress boots. I wore a wht. long-sleeved white blouse under the sweater. I used different printed scraves to change the look of both the sweater and dress pants combo and the jeans jacket and long-sleeved t-shirt combo, just to change things up a bit. I would also suggest that for that time of year that you take a lightweight raincoat or jacket w/a hood. Or if you don't want to wear a hood, take a small foldup umbrella. There are lots of lightweight trenchcoats both short and long that are pretty trendy right now.

Hope this helps!:D

Just curious; what cruiseline cruises to Alaska in November?

Reference was not directed to any cruise. Rather a general comparison between weather. The Mediteranean in november versus being in Alaska in the same time period. The OP does not need a heavy winter coast or long underwear as others have advised.

A very light set of "long underwear" (or what we hikers call a base layer) made from silk or merino wool will not overheat you unless you are very physically active and it's too warm out for it, and for its weight and packed volume will keep you warmer than similar weight and volume of outerlayers. Don't get polypropylene. While cheaper it retains body odors more and must be washed in special detergent. Like others suggested here, use layers for insulation and get a shell jacket that is wind and water resistant. A goretex shell is great if you can afford it, but there are cheaper options that perform almost as well - check out an outdoor outfitter in your area and don't get sold on expensive brand names - often the store brand is every bit as good. LLBean, REI, EMS products come to mind.

Light layers will be fine for the Med. We sat on the Lido deck at night and watched movies and needed the blankets they provided. Otherwise, a sweater will be fine. The only time I needed something warmer was when we went up to Mt. Etna and it was COLD. We didn't stay there long, though. It was rainy and cold and the wind was blowing. We got coffee, walked around the edge of Silvestre crater and jumped back on the tour bus. I wished I would have had a hoodie or lined windbreaker.

Other/many places/excursions were warm enough for a T-shirt.

HOWEVER, we were there in early October.

Reference was not directed to any cruise. Rather a general comparison between weather. The Mediteranean in november versus being in Alaska in the same time period. The OP does not need a heavy winter coast or long underwear as others have advised.

Right - misread the post! Was curious though about a November Alaska cruise.

Archived