Secret Door!

lilbuddy

When going through the Panama Canal on the Island. The doors were marked Crew Only, but I'd read that passengers were allowed to enter 'the secret door' during the transit. So I asked a steward if he'd show us the way. He was happy to walk us right out to the deck. Several people were out there, but not a huge crowd. I got some awesome pictures from there. :) I'm like many of you, I don't like to enter where it says 'crew only'. Didn't want to end up in the Naughty Room, like on another thread.

S'allright!

Well, as far as I know, the doors to the bridge wings on the Caribbean/Crown/Emerald/Ruby are accessible by passengers. No restrictions unless it's too windy out there and then they may lock them (or, I guess, possibly post a "Crew Only" sign). But for sailaway, they should be open. :)

Summer of '09 we were able to get out on the Caribbean, it was a great view for going under the Verrazano Bridge but Jan '10 were not able to get out on the Golden, I think because it said Crew Only.

Maybe it's just me but if I see a door marked "crew only" then I dont go through it!

It's not just you, kenexx!!! If the door is marked crew only we don't go through it either. On the other hand, if the sign isn't there we go through the "secret door" and enjoy the view. IMHO not respecting a sign placed there by Princess isn't an "adventure" it's just showing disrespect.

Wow, long time since I have visited these boards but I saw the secret door and knew I had to post. I had read about them, saw many photos while waiting for my Crown cruise so I knew I had to check it out for myself. Our cabin was on the Lido so the trek wasn't too bad. No signs saying 'Crew only' (my mission would have been aborted if that were the case) and only the starboard side door was open.

I got brave in St. Thomas - while in port. I walked through 2 sets of doors and then up a short set of stairs. I was scared out of my mind:o but I wanted a shot from a wing. To this day, I still have no idea how I made my way over there ... and then back to the safety of the doors. Even in port, it was terribly windy WAY up there.

Am I glad I did it, yup! Would I do it again, nope!

On the Coral it's on the Baja Deck. It says "no admittance", but our steward took us there and said it was a good place to be for glacier bay. It was a deck under the bridge. There were only a few people there, but it was very cold!!!:o

At daytona 500 we followed people and ended up in the pitts when they started the race. Standing with Jimmy Johnson and Dale Earnhart Never know.. Most they will do is telll you to leave the area. Nothing ventured nothing gained. WE HAD THE ADVENTURE OF A LIFETIME. Hubby would not go because he was not supposed to and he lost out my son and I had a ball.

On the Sapphire Princess the wife and I went thru a gate that said crew only, up some stairs and thru a door into the funnel area. We then went up a ladder and onto the roof of sky Walkers. What a view. No one said anything except watch your step. We were on the Ultimate Ship tour. LOL That was lots of fun got to go all over the ship in places not open to the public.

On the Dawn and the Sea there is 10 forward those are unmarked doors to the front under the bridge.

• 1 year later...
On the Coral it's on the Baja Deck. It says "no admittance", but our steward took us there and said it was a good place to be for glacier bay. It was a deck under the bridge. There were only a few people there, but it was very cold!!!:o

The way I interpret that sign "No admittance" is that if you use those doors you are required not to "admit" that you did.

Some of the ships like the Coral and Island have secret door forward on Carib deck #10. I think some of the other ships probably have similar decks forward. The door doesn't say "crew only", it usualy says something like caution, etc. On the Coral that door leads to a small hallway and then there is another door which leads to a large open deck and gives you a great picture taking spot. I would walk around the ship and walk forward on some of the decks and see if you come across a door.

Some of the ships like the Coral and Island have secret door forward on Carib deck #10. I think some of the other ships probably have similar decks forward. The door doesn't say "crew only", it usualy says something like caution, etc. On the Coral that door leads to a small hallway and then there is another door which leads to a large open deck and gives you a great picture taking spot. I would walk around the ship and walk forward on some of the decks and see if you come across a door.

Baja Deck on these ships has a secret door as well. During the Panama Canal transit, the ship's photographer was there taking souvenir photos of passengers for purchase. Seems like tacit approval from the cruise line that it's OK to use those decks.

BTW, I know I left a gaping hole for some smarty to state the photographer was really just getting evidence to present at the Captain's Mast. Keel haul the secret door trespassers!

During our recent Panama Canal Transit people were standing three deep in the secret place behind the secret door. It wasn't cold but it sure was crowded. Apparently lots of folks on our cruise read CC.

We are going on the Sea Princess shortly. Are there any 'secret doors' there?

On Sea Princess all the way for'ard on Aloha and Baja there are doors out to a good front view position. These are not acessible when at sea but open when the ship is entering or leaving port. They were also available in Glacier Bay Alaska. At the aft end of some decks there is also an area with some sun beds which is nicely sheltered. I think it is also Aloha and Baja.

Iain

• 3 weeks later...
During our recent Panama Canal Transit people were standing three deep in the secret place behind the secret door. It wasn't cold but it sure was crowded. Apparently lots of folks on our cruise read CC.

That's a shame...we were on the Island in Alaska and it was just us and one other couple on the deck. We were there all day when cruising Glacier Bay!

Go Dawgs!

I am definitely going to check this out when I get on the Ruby in November. When on the Grand last year I was able to just walk along the open deck and up 2 steps to get on top of the bridge. When its hidden that makes it more fun and probably less busy.

• 3 years later...

No secret, I've seen that place pack from time to time. Great place to view coming and leaving ports. If they don't want you up there they lock the doors. Also I've seen the doors open at sea on a nice day but a chain to keep you from getting over the bridge but you can still be out on the lower area. All the grand class ships I've been on only had caution sign on the door. I've never seen a "crew only" sign there but I'm sure we will all acknowledge policies may be different on other ships in their fleet.

framer