Unwanted upgrade

gsmith

A friend is traveling on the CB with us next Sunday and intentionally booked an inside cabin on Plaza deck, just behind the the International Cafe and Art Gallery. She prefers inside cabins for sleeping and was looking forward to the snug feel of her inside room and its proximity to the IC and Vines. The booking was marked NO UPGRADE, and Princess now admits that, but today she was notified via e mail that she had been upgraded to an obstructed OV (P214) closer to the bow and further away from the IC. The original cabin has been reassigned and she cannot get anyone at Princess customer relations to discuss the matter with her until tomorrow. She wants her original cabin back!! What are the chances?

A friend is traveling on the CB with us next Sunday and intentionally booked an inside cabin on Plaza deck, just behind the the International Cafe and Art Gallery. She prefers inside cabins for sleeping and was looking forward to the snug feel of her inside room and its proximity to the IC and Vines. The booking was marked NO UPGRADE, and Princess now admits that, but today she was notified via e mail that she had been upgraded to an obstructed OV (P214) closer to the bow and further away from the IC. The original cabin has been reassigned and she cannot get anyone at Princess customer relations to discuss the matter with her until tomorrow. She wants her original cabin back!! What are the chances?

If they already gave her cabin away, slim and none chance.

I know they should not have done that but its not that much further and its an not an obstructed view on Plaza deck.

I'd insist on speaking to a supervisor and keep on going up the ladder until they get someone who gives them their cabin back. Take names all along the way. Make sure she has the name of the person who said Princess admits they made a mistake. In this case, nice guys finish last; those who yell loudest and longest get the "worm." If she has to, she can cry and have a melt-down.

The "good news" is that if she can't change the cabin, she won't be right over the stablizers which if they are deployed, are noisy and you get a lot of vibration.

Aren't the outside obstructed the same size as the inside?
Yes, but the OPs friend wanted a specific location. Even if you're in the same type of cabin and are "upgraded," you may not want the location. Preferred locations don't always make sense but that's what cabin categories are based on.

Thank you all for responding so quickly to this very timely problem. YES, Pam, I will advise my friend to talk to a supervisor ASAP in the morning and give specifics as to what was initially booked and confirmed by Princess. I have to concede that an uninvited upgrade may seem like a minor issue, but as is true in real estate...location, location, location. Luggage tags have been printed and my friend, having cruised Princess twice before, had a very specific idea of what she'd booked and awaited her. Every vacation is personal.

We'll keep you posted on the outcome.

I would agree that your friend should call Princess and keep going up the chain of command. She said no upgrade and they should honor that. Hopefully Princess can talk the other party into switching to the OV or else can find someone with an inside who is willing to moveover to another cruise (with Princess giving them a whole lot of incentive, considering it was their mistake).

I concur, go the chain of command route until she get's satisfaction. I can't understand why they just don't email the party that got her original cabin and say" tada....you've just been upgraded to obstructed oceanview", give them her current room and then give her back her inside near Vines. If they admit they made a mistake because she had the room listed as No Upgrade, what else can they (should they) rightly do? The other family would probable be happy as hell to get a free upgrade and both parties would probably be very happy.

Is the fact that Princess has "changed" (upgraded) your cabin to somewhere you don't want to be a reason that is acceptable for a cancellation? Would Princess do that without a charge?

I received an upgrade email a couple of weeks ago and it said the following at the bottom of the email:

"IT IS OUR PLEASURE TO ADVISE THAT YOUR CLIENTS HAVE RECEIVED A COMPLIMENTARY UPGRADE INTO THE CABIN LISTED ON THIS CONFIRMATION. IF YOUR CLIENTS CHOOSE TO DECLINE, PLEASE NOTIFY US WITHIN 48 HOURS, AND WE WILL ATTEMPT TO RETURN THEM TO THEIR ORIGINAL CABIN."

I would wait to call them after 8:00 pacific time this morning. Since you had marked "no upgrade", I would insist they move you back.

I received an upgrade email a couple of weeks ago and it said the following at the bottom of the email:

"IT IS OUR PLEASURE TO ADVISE THAT YOUR CLIENTS HAVE RECEIVED A COMPLIMENTARY UPGRADE INTO THE CABIN LISTED ON THIS CONFIRMATION. IF YOUR CLIENTS CHOOSE TO DECLINE, PLEASE NOTIFY US WITHIN 48 HOURS, AND WE WILL ATTEMPT TO RETURN THEM TO THEIR ORIGINAL CABIN."

I would wait to call them after 8:00 pacific time this morning. Since you had marked "no upgrade", I would insist they move you back.

they key word there is attempt

What if this had happened at the pier? This is a concern for us on two upcoming cruises...we have the last mini-suites on the Emerald Deck. Both bookings are marked "NO UPGRADE", but after reading the above and personal experience, I not too confident Princess will honor this "request".

We booked a mini on the Emerald in 2008 for the covered balcony, and it was marked "NO UPGRADE". When we got to the pier to check-in, we were upgraded to a full suite! Thankfully, the suite had a covered balcony or we would have been upset. Never would have thought Princess would do something like this. In this situation we were very pleased, but I think they should have at least asked!

The Passage Contract appears to be silent on this issue.

Is the fact that Princess has "changed" (upgraded) your cabin to somewhere you don't want to be a reason that is acceptable for a cancellation? Would Princess do that without a charge?

No, this would not be an acceptable reason for a cancellation. Cancel and the penalties will apply.

My friend booked directly though Princess, but this story has a happy ending. After making the initial phone call to Princess customer relations early this AM, my friend was notifed via voice mail that they had moved her again and given her an even better room on Plaza, still an OV, just not obstructed. After making ANOTHER call to Princess, she got through to dispatch and the very nice agent explained that they thought this upgrade was something very special. After persevering, my friend was moved back into the original cabin and we can only hope that some other cruiser is pleased to have an OV upgrade. The rep was very apologetic and my friend is happily anticipating a wonderful cruise in the cabin of her choice.

If you booked through a TA, you need to have them do this for you.
The default is "Will accept upgrade" so you need to specifically request that a "No upgrade" be put on the booking. FYI, this is a simple Yes / No so if your TA says they've put a no upgrade unless it's to a better type of cabin, they're smoking funny stuff. A TA cannot put a qualification on whether or not you'd accept an upgrade.

Do you have to request "No Upgrade" through the TA or is there somewhere on the Personalizer that it can be done?

When you book online through Princess there is a spot in the process where they ask you if you would accept the comp upgrade, if not check a box. As Toto said if through a TA ask them to have Princess note the reservation.

Archived