Bread Pudding

sealady1

What other kinds of soup do they serve?

... they also serve fantastic chilled soups. They were usually on the menu at both lunch and dinner times.

Agreed on the chilled soups. These are something I never see in restaurants, and they are delicious. Like starting the meal with dessert! :D There's such things as cream, ice cream, or sherbet in them.

Chocolate Bread Pudding!!!

Yum!! I can't wait!! What other kinds do they have? What are some of the other treats that one can look forward to?

I have sailed on all the "dam" ships except the Prinsendam and the only ship that I am aware of that has the chocolate bread pudding is the Amsterdam.

One time we were on one of the S class ships and they added chocolate chips to the bread pudding -- wasn't as good.

On our recent South America cruise on the Veendam, they had regular (with raisins) and choclate bread pudding - I think a few times, but not every day - I only had it once, and don't care for it as much as the "original" bread pudding.

This was the first cruise on HAL where I'd seen choclate bread pudding.

After hearing all the rave reviews about the bread pudding, and then trying it..... well, I thought it was greatly overrated.

It was tasteless, no flavor- just boring.

What a disappointment.

Other food was excellent, desserts were lovely to look at, but again somewhat tasteless.

Hi Pat, fancy meeting you here!! Yes, I think that I now have enough info about the bread pudding to give it a try.

And the chilled soups and the club sandwich, thank you Peaches and Ruth C.

Deb, you have to be careful about Ruth C. She l-o-v-e-s chocolate!

Try the bread pudding. After all, wadda ya got to lose?

Pat

Can never get excited about bread pudding or macaroni cheese, even though it is served in the Pinnacle.

These are the foods we got in Britain when food was rationed after WW2 or later when mother had no money left at the end of the week. In view of their association with hard times and poverty, I have never felt the urge to eat them during a luxury vacation.

By the way, foods eaten by poor people in the last century included gin and oysters so I guess nothing is for ever!!

My senior year in college I lived in a co-op house, where each of had kitchen duries. I drew Fri. night cook (plus some dishwashing, another story) and that was Mac & Cheese night. By asking everyone I knew, I was abel to make over 20 varieations of it!:D That was 1955 and I haven't had it since!!

Many years ago,prisoners in Maine were fed Lobster. They revolted because it was served too often, being the cheapest item in the area.:eek:

Guess that means it's time to change my siggy. ;)

You continue on just as you are, Ruth C. I am just pointing out that I am a fellow chocolate lover. Have you ever had an Aero Bar? They are made by Nestle in England. They are sold here in some specialty stores. Oh, my goodness, they are incredible!!!

Have you ever had an Aero Bar? They are made by Nestle in England.

No, but thanks for the tip. I'll add it to the list of chocolates to eat.

I'll be sailing from Seattle in August, and I know enough to pick up some See's Candy while I'm there. And then there's that little place in Victoria, when we have the port stop.

I'll be coming home with a good haul from that cruise. :D

I'll be sailing from Seattle in August, and I know enough to pick up some See's Candy while I'm there.

My sister told me for years about the "virtues" of See's chocolates and I finally experienced that pleasure for myself while on vacation in San Diego last year. Yum!!

Gosh Ruth, If you changed your siggy, how would we recognize you. Oh ya,...by your smile.:p

I did change my siggy. I do that every once in a while. Seasonal, or as the spirit moves.

Are See's chocolate good? I think they sell them at the navy base.

Pat

Yesssssss!!!!!!!!! A dear friend brought some as an offering when we were on the same cruise. He is in my heart forever for that little gift. ;)

Agreed on the chilled soups. These are something I never see in restaurants, and they are delicious. Like starting the meal with dessert! :D There's such things as cream, ice cream, or sherbet in them.

I loved the chilled soup so much that I asked for a copy of the recipe. Unfortunately it serves 60 :eek: so the quantities are not the most manageable in the standard household kitchen. If anyone wants to size it down to a more manageable quantity, please post your calculations.

Chilled Strawberry Soup

10 pounds Frozen Strawberries

2 gallons Fruit Juice

5 quarts Heavy Cream

8 oz Honey

1 quart Dry White Wine

1/2 C Lemon Juice

Garnish:

Sharp Peppercorn Cream - pureed green peppercorns combined with Whipped Cream

Strawberries, diced as garnish on top

Place all ingredients in blender and puree well, strain if desired.

Note: The chilled soup can/should be blended with the appropriate ice cream to 1 gallon of the above to 1 quart of ice cream. (i.e. strawberry ice cream to strawberry soup)

You can substitute just about any kind of fruit, fruit juice and ice cream to create different chilled fruit soups.

I am normally not a fan of bread pudding as it is often too soggy, but HAL's is a nice balance of lightly crunchy on top and the soft, but not soggy middle. The raisins add a nice hit of sweetness too. Mmm, I think I'm going to have to go now and make some! :p

RuthC: Is that "little place in Victoria" by any chance Rogers' Chocolates? Victoria Creams: mmmm. Glad to read you like See's!!! I grew up with the "happy habit." All of the ingredients used (bar one-vanillin for vanilla depending on piece) are the same as they were decades ago, as are most of their suppliers. If I somehow manage to scrape up enough to do the Australia-Singapore tour next year, I'll bring a box for you by way of introduction. (5 lb. OK? ;-) Fair Warning: half the Bordeauxs will probably be missing.

RuthC: Is that "little place in Victoria" by any chance Rogers' Chocolates?

I believe it is. I read about it on CC, and have the info put away in my travel documents. That way I won't forget it! :D

I'll look forward to meeting you on the Volendam. With, or without an offering. ;)

I wish I could remember the name of the chocolate shop off a side street near Pike's Market. We always stop there and get dark chocolate for our cruises.

Would you be thinking of "The Chocolate Box"? Fantastic chocolate there!

I have had great bread pudding and bad bread pudding. Sometimes the sauce is too watered down.

The best bread pudding I have ever had it the chocolate bread pudding on the Amsterdam. Wonder if they still serve it on that ship?

eurodam had it some days and tamarind had a banana raisin bread pudding. the chocolate was excellent, did not try the banana:) the giant fortune cookie stuffed with chocolate mousse was fantastic

Rogers' Chocolates in Victoria - I haven't thought of them in years. My grandmother loved their chocolates. All her grandchildren knew that we'd better bring back a box (or two) whenever one went to Victoria. Whenever I'd see one of those red boxes I'd know that a cousin had been there.

Please - it is the Pike Place Market, due to the location. Not surprisingly, it is located on Pike Pl., not Pike St. and it isn't owned by anyone named Pike. ;)

Hey, Ruth. Have you had Sees chocolate covered chocolate cream? Your chocolate covered chocolate sig keeps reminding me of that little treasure. They are in the milk chocolate and soft centers boxes. And at Easter they sell chocolate cream and the Bordeaux Easter eggs. Sees is fabulous.

Archived