Sail Away - Balcony or Lido deck?

hartskys

We will be on the Freedom and it will be the first time we will have a balcony. :) We were wondering what would be the best being on our balcony for the sail way or on the Lido deck?

Like the crowds ??? Go for the Lido Deck.

Like a little more peace and quiet ??? Go for the Balcony.

It's really a personal choice.

We will be on the Freedom and it will be the first time we will have a balcony. :) We were wondering what would be the best being on our balcony for the sail way or on the Lido deck?

Hi,

I prefer the private balcony myself but it may depend on where your balcony is on the ship. We have an aft wrap balcony on our next cruise and plan on being on it when the ship departs. Like to get a nice snack and sit there and enjoy heading out to sea.

Hope you have a wonderful time!!!

We had a balcony last time (...and will from now on) but still our tradition for Sail Away from homeport is to be at the aft of the ship, out on deck. You can't beat the atmosphere and on our last cruise, we met so many wonderful and interesting people while we were there. It was great to see them the rest of the cruise and say hello.

When we sail away from ports, we watch from our balcony.

Like a previous poster said, its personal choice. If you want the excitement, then be up on the lido deck. If you want it quieter, then stay on your balcony.

My DH and I have sailed with both OV cabins and Balcony cabins. I am one of those who don't care... as long as I am on a cruise! We found that our cruise experience was much different when we had a balcony vs the OV. We spent a lot of time on our balcony and missed a lot of the goings on on the ship. Don't regret it, but it was different.

We love to be on the Lido with a DOTD in hand, amidst the hustle and bustle and excitement of sail away!!!

But like everyone says - it's choice - you want quiet or lots of things going on around you?

Whichever you chose - make sure you have a DOTD in hand! woohoo!!

For your first balcony... stay there...

Watching the sail away from your own balcony as VERY special... you've gotta do it at least once...

:D

It depends a lot on how curious you are about your surroundings.

On the balcony, you have all the comforts of home a few steps away, but you can only see a limited view.

On the outside decks, you are just a few steps away from any view in any direction.

I feel it is a lot more fun outside for sailaway!

Go to the Lido deck for the sail away if the weather is nice. It always adds to the festivities and gets you in the mood for the rest of the cruise. You can sit on your balcony when you sail away from the other ports and there is not as much excitement.

on our first cruise a couple years ago, we stayed on our balcony for sailaway. i always feel like i missed something by not going to one of the public decks. so for our upcoming cruise, we will definitely be joining the crowds. however, i would recommend that you stay on your balcony this time, since it is your first opportunity to enjoy the view from your own private space. it is peaceful and maybe even a little romantic!

We love the electricity of being high up public deck , with others during sail away . It truely sets the stage for the rest of our cruise .We always take a balcony cabin & use it to see the other port entries or departures . The aft balconies are the best especially when doing a trans Atlantic to either see sun rises or sun sets depending on the cruise direction .

For your first balcony... stay there...

Watching the sail away from your own balcony as VERY special... you've gotta do it at least once...

:D

Exactly...You have to do it atleast once...there is nothing like having a lil music on from the Ipod speakers...DOD in hand, Miami Vice in another, have to put them down to take pics.

Nothing like it...

I enjoy the lido, but weve done it so much. Sometimes I think that the Lido wants to come down to our wrap bal once they hear us partying. ;):D:rolleyes::p

OK, sorry if this is a stupid question, first time cruiser here...

Our balcony is on the starboard side of the Glory, during sailaway from Miami which side is best for viewing? If we decide to stay on our balcony would we miss a lot?

Also...is confetti/ streamers OK?, if not from the balcony then actually on the Lido deck?

Thanks

If you've done the Lido before, then try it on your balcony. Each is a unique experience. I do prefer the Lido myself. The atmosphere is very festive and it just puts me in a cruise mood.

Please do not throw confetti. That is considered littering in the state of Florida.

Also...is confetti/ streamers OK?, if not from the balcony then actually on the Lido deck?

Thanks

Sadly, confetti/streamers at sailaway are a thing of days gone by. I think it's an environmental (litter/trash) thing. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. You could do bubbles.

Sadly, confetti/streamers at sailaway are a thing of days gone by. I think it's an environmental (litter/trash) thing. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. You could do bubbles.

You are correct. Confetti is considered littering and is against the law in Florida.

Thanks everyone. I think we will do the Lido to get in the mood (of course we are so excited now I don't really think we need this to get into the mood ;) ha ha) then we will use the balcony for the islands as we arrive and depart. I have a feeling we are never going to want to go back to an inside cabin after this one. Can't wait!!! :D

DH and I will have a balcony in December aboard the Legend, but we'll be as high up top as we can get to watch as we sail under the bridge!

By the funnel on the legend is the best place to watch going under the bridge!....but it takes awhile to get there so you can hang out on the balcony and chill then rollup top to enjoy the bridge ship and cruise was great!!!:)

Archived