LIVE: Ruby Princess Part 2 March 30th 2010

Colo Cruiser

When you walk out of the terminal (pier) walk straight into town. You will pass the first bus terminal on the left, thats not the right one. You will come to the canal. Cross over the canal at the second bridge and the other bus terminal is right across that bridge. We caught the bus back there again and just walked the mile back to the terminal, most of it is along that boardwalk type path anyway. No bus from Rockley crosses that bridge in either direction. :)

I just Googled Earth-ed it...your directions are very clear as you mentioned the canal and the second bridge. I can see all that and the bus terminal on Google Earth. Very helpful...thank you!!!

BTW, for any others who are reading and are interested in Rockley...if you go to the far south end of the beach, there is a bar that will rent you two chairs (there is plenty of shade from the palms there) for $10, and you get a $10 drink credit. We had four local beers (Banks?) for an additional $2. Rockley is the beach of choice for us. We're considering renting a place down there next winter, but that would mean foregoing our Emerald cruises (:eek:). Not sure I can handle that trade-off.

It rained pretty heavy in the morning but by afternoon it cleared up and the sun made its appearance. Downtown was locked up tight. Easter Monday!! Took a tour of the Island for 3 hours arranged downtown. came back to the ship in the afternoon and hit the IC for some shrimp, and the infamous cashew chicken salad.

I forgot to mention that yesterday upon leaving Barbados Captain Yeomans said it was the strangest weather that he had seen there at sailaway. Cloudy lightning/thunder/rain showers. The Royal was docked behind us and was still there when we left at 6pm.

The Elite Lounge had a Japanese Slipper as the drink special, (no it did not come with lint) and assorted sushi with soy sauce/wasabi/pickled ginger. It was very good.

Headed to dinner and had the usual Escargot which was actually on tonight’s menu. For my entrée I had Orange Roughy and it was really good. Rasberry Crem Brulee/Maple Mouse Profitoroles and coffee. The coffee in the DR is hot and quite good.

Watched the end of the Duke game on the cabin TV, and several home opener baseball games were on throughout the day.

Last night the Yankees/Red Sox opener was on.

Oh yeah and Tiger was on 7 different channels, I would not be surprised if he was on MUTS too.

Tonight at 8pm in VINES they had a Stamisch, where all the ships Senior Officers were in attendance for an informal Q&A. It was very neat. Capt/Staff Capt/PSD/1st Purser F&B/Hotel Manager. It lasted about an hour and it was in the Patter.

Well its late and we are off to beddy bye………

It rained pretty heavy in the morning but by afternoon it cleared up and the sun made its appearance. Downtown was locked up tight. Easter Monday!! Took a tour of the Island for 3 hours arranged downtown. came back to the ship in the afternoon and hit the IC for some shrimp, and the infamous cashew chicken salad.

I forgot to mention that yesterday upon leaving Barbados Captain Yeomans said it was the strangest weather that he had seen there at sailaway. Cloudy lightning/thunder/rain showers. The Royal was docked behind us and was still there when we left at 6pm.

The Elite Lounge had a Japanese Slipper as the drink special, (no it did not come with lint) and assorted sushi with soy sauce/wasabi/pickled ginger. It was very good.

Headed to dinner and had the usual Escargot which was actually on tonight’s menu. For my entrée I had Orange Roughy and it was really good. Rasberry Crem Brulee/Maple Mouse Profitoroles and coffee. The coffee in the DR is hot and quite good.

Watched the end of the Duke game on the cabin TV, and several home opener baseball games were on throughout the day.

Last night the Yankees/Red Sox opener was on.

Oh yeah and Tiger was on 7 different channels, I would not be surprised if he was on MUTS too.

Tonight at 8pm in VINES they had a Stamisch, where all the ships Senior Officers were in attendance for an informal Q&A. It was very neat. Capt/Staff Capt/PSD/1st Purser F&B/Hotel Manager. It lasted about an hour and it was in the Patter.

Well its late and we are off to beddy bye………

Stamisch. Does anyone know what this word means? I have been to them before on The Ruby but don't know the meaning of the word

Is Andreas Pitsch still on as PSD? Thanks

Stamisch. Does anyone know what this word means? I have been to them before on The Ruby but don't know the meaning of the word

Is Andreas Pitsch still on as PSD? Thanks

Hi Dorothy, yes Andreas is still the PSD.

Stamisch (from what they told me last night) is an old German custom of getting together and discussing things in a group. It was done quite often. Don't know if my description is very accurate, maybe someone can look it up.

Antigua today, a few clouds but it is mostly sunny. The Explorer is here as well at this point. :D

Thanks, Keith.

If you happen to run into Andreas again, please tell him hello from me and hope he is still on for the crossing on the 19th.

The Ruby and The Explorer in Antigua at the same time sounds like a busy day in port.

Have fun.

Dorothy

Hi, Keith. I hate to say this but it is almost MY turn.:)

Your posts have been great. :cool:

Looked up stamisch and found the following:

The word Stammtisch is German. It is not easily translated into English but it means something like "regular's table" or "regular get-together".

It is not the same spelling but kind of fits the bill.....;)

hi northender, your stage name is what we called one part of town downeast , just wondering what part of me. you are from. we just got off the ruby on mar. 20th , it was fantastic,hope you enjoy your cruise as much as we did.......

What a beautiful day in Antigua!! It rained as we disembarked at around 9:30. We ran the gauntlet of cabbies and settled on a trip to Valley Church Beach aka Nest Beach with our driver Barry. Such turquoise water just like a postcard.

It was $8pp each way and we had 3 other couples in the van. We set a return time of 2:30 and Barry was there 45 minutes ahead of time.

The rain subsided and the skies cleared for a glorious day lounging in the sun.

The beach has chair/umbrella rental for $5 each. We got 2 chairs and sat under a huge tree which was full of finches and hummingbirds. Incredible little creatures.

The water was perfect. They have a bar and grill for just about anything you want. Wadadali ?/Red Stripe/Caribe beers were $3. Pina Coladas and such were $5. Extremely relaxing day!! The water is very cloudy so it would be impossible to snorkel. I think the slight wave action kept things pretty stirred up and there were no rocks/coral etc in the area. This beach is a little further south then Jolly as we could see it from our vantage point.

At 2:30 we headed to our van and went back to the ship. We did some quick shopping before reboarding the ship.

The Explorer was the only other ship in and shared a dock with us which made it ridiculous getting back onto the pier.

One little guard shack to funnel through and the line went into town a block! But it moved fast and once on the pier we stopped and listened to the Reggae band grabbed our cold wash cloths and headed back onto the ship.

Tonight is sail away on the balcony with Bud Lime beers/Pomegranate Margaritas/Amarula, not necessarily in that order.

We have not eaten since breakfast so I grabbed some shrimp and Chicken Salad w/cashews from the IC for the balcony and DW went and got a salad from the HC.

In Skywalkers the special of the night is the Cosmopolitan and a shrimp fountain with American cocktail sauce. Gotta pace myself though. (see below). Ha Ha.

We have ressies for the Crown Grill again, yes I will have PIA’s Fav again, the BAA!!! I will also fit in a live Maine lobster split and grilled and maybe a mussel pot, YUM!! Oh and of course the dessert sampler.

Yes I have it all planned out.

Later all………

Hi, Keith. I hate to say this but it is almost MY turn.:)

Your posts have been great. :cool:

Looked up stamisch and found the following:

The word Stammtisch is German. It is not easily translated into English but it means something like "regular's table" or "regular get-together".

It is not the same spelling but kind of fits the bill.....;)

Thanks, they have the empty cask/keg on one of the tables with the word Stamisch on it. I posted a picture of it awile back but most of my photo links are now broken through Photobucket ao when I get home I will subscribe so I can post all the photos of the trip.

Thanks, Keith.

If you happen to run into Andreas again, please tell him hello from me and hope he is still on for the crossing on the 19th.

The Ruby and The Explorer in Antigua at the same time sounds like a busy day in port.

Have fun.

Dorothy

I will Dorothy. ;)

hi northender, your stage name is what we called one part of town downeast , just wondering what part of me. you are from. we just got off the ruby on mar. 20th , it was fantastic,hope you enjoy your cruise as much as we did.......

That is where I got my stage name. Bridgton......originally New Glasgow:)

will someone tell me what we need to do to set up a cruisecritic meet and greet when we go in December? I've never put one together before. Love this thread! so very entertaining and informative.

Have you joined your rollcall. Dollars to donuts there is one being set up:)

A finish to a great day. The Crown Grill was once again excellent and filling!! We went to the 10:30 comedy show in Explorers Lounge with Tony Daro. My side hurts, he is very good. The ship is rocking slowly. A great way to hit the pillow. Tomorrow at sea and a day by the pool.

Goodnight!!

Sitting at the Aft Terrace Pool this AM. Looks like we are sailing into some weather and drops are starting to hit my keyboard. Hope it is short lived.

WiFi signal back here is excellent.

Elevators continue to amaze me, no sooner then I hit the button one is there and getting to deck 6 or 18 has been a breeze.

Later.....

We passed though a heavy rainstorm but the sun is back out.

It is pretty cloudy though.

Well, enjoy the weather. You'll be happy to know that it is snowing hard here, sideways due to the wind. The weather forecast was for 1-3 inches that wouldn't stick to the streets, but it is way more than that on the southside of town, and it is definitely accumulating on the side streets. I always feel like I'm getting more out of my vacation if the weather is nasty back home.) Wait until you see your windows at home...Monday night, either a sandstorm in Mongolia or the earthquake in Baja (depending on which local news station you listen to) caused a ton of red mud to be deposited all over town...it's like the house was driven through a mud puddle.

Sunny by noon...70 by Friday. Just in time for your return, or are you doing B2B?

Well, enjoy the weather. You'll be happy to know that it is snowing hard here, sideways due to the wind. The weather forecast was for 1-3 inches that wouldn't stick to the streets, but it is way more than that on the southside of town, and it is definitely accumulating on the side streets. I always feel like I'm getting more out of my vacation if the weather is nasty back home.) Wait until you see your windows at home...Monday night, either a sandstorm in Mongolia or the earthquake in Baja (depending on which local news station you listen to) caused a ton of red mud to be deposited all over town...it's like the house was driven through a mud puddle.

Sunny by noon...70 by Friday. Just in time for your return, or are you doing B2B?

Thanks for the weather report. :)

No b2b. :(

Had trouble posting all day. I am just now able to log on.

Archived