LIVE: Ruby Princess Part 2 March 30th 2010

Colo Cruiser

Sunday March 28th,

Hey all, Broadcasting live from the Renaissance Hotel FLL!

IMG_0092.jpg

We were picked up at 3:30AM Sunday morning and headed to DIA for our 6:00AM flight. Pushed back from the gate at 6:05 and sat.

IMG_1479.jpg

About 6:15 Captain came on and advised #2 engine would not start, uh oh. Maintenance was on the way out. They were able to start the engine around 15 minutes later. We started moving and lo and behold we stopped in the deicing area! There was no precip so it must have been dew on the surfaces. This took another 15-20 minutes so we were now almost 1 hour late. We were cleared and took off for Houston.

We had a tight connection of 45 minutes but we had to head from terminal E to terminal C. We made it OK and arrived in FLL at 2:15 only about 15 minutes past our normal arrival time. It was very overcast and cooler at 74. Claimed our luggage and called Gold Coast Rental car to pick us up. Within 10 minutes we were at the office finished renting and drove to the Renaissance about 10 minutes away.

Checked in and headed to the room to freshen up. We could see the Emerald from our room at Berth #2. Feels like I can reach out and touch her!!

Headed over to Total Wine and picked up our needed cruise libations along with a case of agua.

We rented the car so we could head to Miami for dinner at Versailles which our favorite Cuban restaurant in Little Havana.

IMG_0073-Copy.jpg

IMG_1494.jpg

Had great meal with a Mojito and stood outside drinking my “cordidito” (expresso) actually 2! An excellent night. Headed back to the hotel and crashed, we were beat.

Monday March 29th,

We awoke this morning to thunder and rain. It stopped for awhile so we went over to Starbucks to have coffee and then lunch at 5 Guys Burgers on Cordova Rd. It is right behind the Embassy Suites in the mall area. Great burgers and DW had the grilled cheese. I decided that since we had our onboard purchases made so we took the car back and walked the 2 miles back to the Renaissance. It was showering every once in awhile and the sun even came out for a few minutes.

We stopped to admire the landscaping at the Embassy Suites....

IMG_1515.jpg

IMG_1512.jpg

We stopped at Walgreens for some Arizona teas and then as we exited the downpour started!! OMG open the flood gates. By the time we crossed the street to the hotel we were soaked.

No plans for the rest of the day other then figuring out where we will eat dinner.

In the morning we will walk across the street and board the Ruby!!!!

I will continue to post onboard when I can……

I will post a couple of photos in this thread but probably will not do any more on the Ruby due to time constraints and slow internet.

Those I will do when we return home like I did with the Golden/Alaska photos.

Colo Cruiser, thank you for the live post and the pictures. I enjoy reading your posts and will be following your cruise. Lucky you.

When you are on the Ruby, could you check when Generoso plan to be back. We are planning a celebration for a friend's important birthday, you know those numbers with 0... and we wonder if Generoso will be back in December. Thank you again and bon voyage.

Colo Cruiser, thank you for the live post and the pictures. I enjoy reading your posts and will be following your cruise. Lucky you.

When you are on the Ruby, could you check when Generoso plan to be back. We are planning a celebration for a friend's important birthday, you know those numbers with 0... and we wonder if Generoso will be back in December. Thank you again and bon voyage.

Hi and thanks...

Yes I will!! He is a great friend and I was planning in finding out his schedule anyway! ;)

Well the rain stopped early evening and the Tornado warning was lifted :eek:.

Around 7pm DW and I walked up to the top of the draw bridge on 17th St and man the wind was blowing and cuts right through you, its chilly!! We then walked back to the Outback and had a great dinner. Beef tenderloin and crab stuffed shrimp with garlic mashed.

They now have 14 ounce Cuervo margaritas for $3.50. Not happy hour, these are normal prices. Excellent meal and 4 drinks for 2 under $50. Can't beat it.

Well on the walk back we had to stop at Stone Cold Creamery of course for some watermelon sorbet. Back at the hotel now getting ready to hit the hay.

The big day tomorrow!! Ruby here we come. Night Night. :D

Keith, you are making me feel like I am right there with you.

We love staying at the Renaissance but have stayed at the Hyatt Place a few times too. We have been to Total Wine, Starbucks, Cold Stone, walked by the Embassy, gone to Walgreens, and walked up the draw bridge early in the morning to watch the ships come in. We like dining at Kelly's Landing for seafood. Where the Texaco station is on 17th street, it's right down the road to your right, in the strip mall to your right. Try it sometime. It's sort of become a tradition and we hit it everytime we have been to Fort Lauderdale. Your Cuban place looks good too. When we have a car we like the Rustic Inn.

I will look forward to your postings from the Ruby as we sail on her in October.

Hey all!! Well I am sitting on my balcony as I type.

Had an excellent nights sleep.

Got up this morning and headed to Einsteins for coffee and pastries about 9:00 am. Have to get a head start on the pastry eating. It’s a beautiful day here in south Florida. I see the sun for the first time since Saturday!!

Went back to the hotel and organized the suitcases and such for the walk over to the terminal. See the Ruby from our window! We secured the infamous tags to out suitcases. At 10:00 am we headed down to the lobby , walked across the street and into the port. Took 10 minutes.

We handed the tagged case of water and our luggage to the porters and headed into the terminal through the Elite entrance and sat. At 11:30 sharp they let our group in and we proceeded to check in. Smooth as silk we were in our cabin by 11:45. Unpacked the carryon’s and headed to DaVinci for a quiet lunch. Godwin was waiting at the door and welcomed us with open arms. The doors were wide open and no discouraging to the HC at all. There were about 20 people total. Chrysalis and his DW joined us.

For appetizers I had the avocado/shrimp and a salad. Then for the main course I had ate the best Salmon I have ever had, tender!! Man it was good. Apple Tartin for dessert. What a way to start the cruise.

After lunch we received a call from Generoso in our cabin and dropped down to Michelangelo to say hi.

We are now sailing out past the condos and everyone’s yelling and screaming, what a sendoff.

I will post more later………………………

Had a wonderful sailaway and M&G at the aft pool bar.

Absolutley wonderful weather. After we headed up to the cocktail party in Skywalkers. Todays drink special was a very large margarita for $2.99! They had Guac and chips with cut vegetables and dip, with assorthed cheeses.

Also confirmed the after 8pm happy hour with several beers, well drinks and 3 specialty Pina Colada/Singapore Sling and can't remember the 3rd. its a great deal and I am glad Princess is offering these.

We are now getting ready for late seating traditional at 8:15 in Bottchelli.

Enjoy your evening!

Enjoying reading your posts and just noticed in your signature 43 Princess cruises. Wow I'd love to hit half that mark.

Glad to hear about those $2.99 prices. I'm wondering why Princess has chosen to do that? Perhaps passengers not doing as much drinking or staying up later. Any thoughts?

Archived