Getting back on the ship

thegreens

At least on my cruise, they gave as an all aboard time which was usually about an hour before the sailing time. The whole thing worked like clockwork. Don't push your luck.

What is the latest you'll plan on returning to the ship before the ship leaves?

Skip the "sailing time", they'll advise you of the "back on board" time, which is usually 30 mins before sailing time. Obviously you won't cut it so fine, just how much margin you leave for delays depends on the circumstances - the general consensus is to be back near the ship 30 - 60 mins before back-on-board time.

There's usually shops/beach/place of interest/whatever close to the ship, where you can spend that reserve time.

Don't rely on the last train or bus, and be very very wary of relying on a ferry or cable-car, which may be cancelled or delayed by the weather

Bear in mind that times are ship time, which may not be the same as local time. Always keep your watch set to ship time.

John Bull

Well I guess the latest would be 2 seconds before the ship sails. After that you miss the ship.

But seriously, I assume you are not talking a ship excursion. Then it would depend where we are in relation to the ship. If we are walking around the terminal, then 10 or 15 minutes is fine. If we are off touring, then and hour or so is more reasonable. If we are in Europe, 60 to 120 minutes would not be unreasonable.

Well I guess the latest would be 2 seconds before the ship sails. After that you miss the ship.

But seriously, I assume you are not talking a ship excursion. Then it would depend where we are in relation to the ship. If we are walking around the terminal, then 10 or 15 minutes is fine. If we are off touring, then and hour or so is more reasonable. If we are in Europe, 60 to 120 minutes would not be unreasonable.

Actually, 10 to 15 minutes before sailing time isn't fine. If "all aboard" time is the typical 30 minutes before sailing, if you try to board later than that you may find the gangway has already been removed and the hatch has been closed. There was a recent thread on the Holland America board about that...someone was left in port when he arrived before sailing time but missed the "all aboard" time.

they normally want you on 30 to 60 min. so if i can walk to the ship like in honduras its the last minute but if by tender i'll take one of the last ones.

in free port at least an hour it allows 20 min for the ride and 20 min for shopping by the ship.

Depends on the ship/crusieline. The company I sail with have an all aboard time of 30 minutes before sailing. I'm always back at least an hour (if not more) before the sailing time. I don't do ship's shore excursion's so know they won't wait for me if I'm late back, so allow time for contingencies in case something unexpected goes wrong. - i'e I don't rely on the last bus or train back that will make it in time but get the one before that in case last one is running late or full.

The line I cruise with always publishes their port agents in the daily programme. I make sure I take this ashore with me "just in case". never had to get their assistance but if the worst happened and I did need to, the info would not be a lot of help in my cabin!

On my second cruise, a passenger missed the ship in Madeira. or next stop was 5 days later in Grenada. the wife(who did make it back in time) persuaded the captain to rescuse her hubby because he was on heart medication and hadn't got any with him. his passport and money were also in his cabin. They launches a lifeboat to go back and pick him up. held us up by around an hour and cost the couple 600 euros for the bother they'd caused. Still cheaper and easier than trying to either make his way home to Italy or catch up with the cruise on the other side of the Atlantic with no passport.

Depends upon what you are doing. If you are in port having dinner in easy walking of the port, you can cut it close. If you in the hinterland with a train, bus and cab before you get to the ship, you have to give yourself a lot of extra time in case things go wrong.

Also depends if the port is a tendered port. Meaning you''' have to take a small boat out to the ship. You have to allow even more time.

On Board time varies from Port to Port. It's announce in the news letter the night before and also posted as you exit the ship. Make certain you read the signs. Also important to note that if the port is a tendered port, meaning you''' have to take a small boat out to the ship, you have to allow even more time.

Also important to note that if the port is a tendered port, meaning you''' have to take a small boat out to the ship, you have to allow even more time.

Sorry, gotta disagree. :p

Time quoted will be "last tender" rather than "back-on-board" time, meaning that you should be on the jetty ready to board a tender by that time

The same common sense of aiming to be at the port 30-60 mins earlier than "last tender" applies, but there's no reason folk should give themselves any more margin for safety than when the ship is berthed at the quay.

For many calls, esp in the Caribbean, there's a long line waiting to board tenders around 60 to 30 mins before "last tender" time.

They will not simply abandon the line when the clock has ticked-down. :D

They will continue beyond "last tender" time until they have no-one left at the jetty.:)

Not suggesting you should push your luck, but if you are late then as long as there's still a line waiting to board the tenders you can simply join the end of the line. :)

Sheepishly :rolleyes:

JB

Archived