Reflections on 3/3/10 RUBY Cruise

regnig

First off, a big THANK YOU to Captain Tony Yeomans. Your ship was immaculately clean and well maintained and your crew and their services were exemplary. Not only could we understand your announcements we found your sense of humor brightened even the few cloudy skies that we encountered. The group from Cruise Critic certainly enjoyed and appreciated your attendance at our Meet & Greet particularly since you were not feeling all that well.

This 10 day sailing on the Ruby was close to perfect. I can not say enough good things about the ship’s staff and crew (with two exceptions that I will get to). Never, and I mean never did one encounter personnel who did not smile and offer a “good morning/evening/day”. Cruise Director James Ibrahim and his staff were great. The White Hot deck party was even more fun that previous deck parties and boy did James look good in feathers. The food was outstanding as always. My only disappointment was that Shrimp Cocktail was only offered one evening at the Caribe Café. We found the beds to be very comfortable and my DH even liked the coffee. The amount of promotional paper work delivered to the staterooms seems to have slacked off considerably – YEA. If I could have stuffed the box with “You Made a Difference” cards for our stateroom steward Ricardo I would have done so. He was just the best! How in the world he managed to sneak in and out in the mornings and evenings when we kept such irregular hours is beyond me but oh so appreciated.

My one visit to the Lotus Spa exceeded my expectations and no “hard sell” from the Steiner staff! My friend who was sailing with us got three Acupuncture treatments and claimed she felt better than she had after 4 months of rehabilitation for a shoulder problem.

My less than positive encounters with staff were with Kirk, the Future Cruise rep, and then the young gal who roamed the Caribe Café each night trying to sell the “Wine Tasting Event”. Kirk seemed to have a problem with showing up at his desk on time for the announced “open” hours and his “people skills” were less than the Princess standard. While the “Wine Tasting” gal admittedly had a job assignment to do she needed a few lessons in “gracious acceptance” of a “no thank you” response. While neither of these people ruined our cruise they just didn’t live up to the professional image that we normally find aboard Princess Ships.

Were I to make a suggestion to Princess it would be to place an age limit on children using the hot tubs. Since our sailing was over a holiday week there were more children onboard than we usually encounter in the spring and that was most evident at the Neptune’s Reef and Pool area. This area seemed to be “home” for many of them for hours on end with no obvious adult supervision. While one hot tub was the daily meeting spot for the “teen” cruisers the other was taken over by the under 7 crowd. On a daily basis they occupied it, used the railings as a jungle gym, clamored back and forth between the tub and the pool and generally rendered it unusable for adults. I did notice a deck hand speaking to them one day but their antics appeared to go unnoticed the rest of the time. While I fully understand that kids will be kids and that their inappropriate behavior should be the responsibility of their parents that just wasn’t happening. Since the Princess staff shouldn’t have to step in and reprimand passengers regardless of age the situation could well be handled by not allowing anyone under the age of 12 into the hot tubs. Just a suggestion ………

I’m a firm believer in “a cruise is what you make it”, but in the case of the Ruby’s 30th of March sailing Princess helped to make our cruise exceed our expectations.

Thanks for the review. And I totally agree about the hot tub and rules that really need to be changed, it does get a bit ridiculous with the unsupervised ones at times (one reason we stopped cruising during holidays and spring breaks). ;)

Thanks for the review. And I totally agree about the hot tub and rules that really need to be changed, it does get a bit ridiculous with the unsupervised ones at times (one reason we stopped cruising during holidays and spring breaks). ;)

Toto, I agree with you here. Saw the same thing on the Crown a couple of weeks back. If the wife wasn't a teacher, we wouldn't be cruising during these times, but quieter times will have to wait until retirement...:rolleyes:

Mike

My less than positive encounters with staff were with Kirk, the Future Cruise rep, and then the young gal who roamed the Caribe Café each night trying to sell the “Wine Tasting Event”. Kirk seemed to have a problem with showing up at his desk on time for the announced “open” hours and his “people skills” were less than the Princess standard. While the “Wine Tasting” gal admittedly had a job assignment to do she needed a few lessons in “gracious acceptance” of a “no thank you” response. While neither of these people ruined our cruise they just didn’t live up to the professional image that we normally find aboard Princess Ships.

Were I to make a suggestion to Princess it would be to place an age limit on children using the hot tubs. Since our sailing was over a holiday week there were more children onboard than we usually encounter in the spring and that was most evident at the Neptune’s Reef and Pool area. This area seemed to be “home” for many of them for hours on end with no obvious adult supervision. While one hot tub was the daily meeting spot for the “teen” cruisers the other was taken over by the under 7 crowd. On a daily basis they occupied it, used the railings as a jungle gym, clamored back and forth between the tub and the pool and generally rendered it unusable for adults. I did notice a deck hand speaking to them one day but their antics appeared to go unnoticed the rest of the time. While I fully understand that kids will be kids and that their inappropriate behavior should be the responsibility of their parents that just wasn’t happening. Since the Princess staff shouldn’t have to step in and reprimand passengers regardless of age the situation could well be handled by not allowing anyone under the age of 12 into the hot tubs. Just a suggestion ………

I’m a firm believer in “a cruise is what you make it”, but in the case of the Ruby’s 30th of March sailing Princess helped to make our cruise exceed our expectations.

I think there IS an age limit for the hot tubs, it is just not enforced. Also, what is the deal with cranky FCC reps on the ships? I've seen a couple of them too. I'll do the job if they can't find someone who is customer-friendly! ;)

Great review and a positive way of explaining everything - even the few negatives. Welcome home! :)

Thanks for the positive review. I thought that kids weren't supposed to use the hot tubs.

I think there IS an age limit for the hot tubs, it is just not enforced. Also, what is the deal with cranky FCC reps on the ships? I've seen a couple of them too. I'll do the job if they can't find someone who is customer-friendly! ;)

Great review and a positive way of explaining everything - even the few negatives. Welcome home! :)

Well if kids are not supposed to use them somebody forgot to tell the pool staff on the Ruby. Since I know Capt Yeomans reads Cruise Critic perhaps that will come to a stop. There were several times I really was worried that one of the youngsters were going to get seriously hurt the way they were, as young kids do, always on the move back and forth.

Barb, thanks so much for your thoughts. I'm glad you had such a good cruise, despite cranky Kirk and surly girl. As far as the hot tubs, I've just given up on them. They always seem to be full of kids on every cruise I've ever been on, to the point that I don't know why Princess even bothers with a kid's pool as I just assumed that was what the hot tubs were there for . . . !

Nice review. Sorry you had so many children. Hopefully someone reads this and starts watching them a bit better. I have noticed a lack of the Cruise Rep at the times stated on various cruises. Glad we are able to fill out the paper and buy a credit that way.

I could not agree more about the FCC rep, Kirk. We have christened him "Kirk the jerk" in our house. He never showed up to his desk on time on our Christmas cruise either. Come on, it's not like you have a big commute. :rolleyes:

And I'm with DriveslikeMario - what is it with the FCC reps on the ships? In my experiences with them, they've all been either surly or incompetent. I don't know how you could be that way when you have a pretty decent, simple job!

Although I have never had an ugly experience with the FCC rep I find the best way to handle it is to use the drop box they have. I just fill out the forms for a "blind" cruise and I get them delivered to my cabin. The FCC rep can't tell me anything I don't know or can find out on the internet or from my TA.

Archived